Using O's and Your Own Computer Safely

tropicalkerry2002

A while ago, there was a great thread, where posters talked about whether they felt safe using WiFi and /or O's computers for doing sensitive /financial type things.

I read it, and thought I would like to reread it again before we head off on our B2B cruise in April, when we may have to do some banking while away.

How I wish I had bookmarked it!, as now the search feature is unavailable.

I can't even remember if the thread started off talking about the safety of doing these things, or if it "morphed" to that discussion.

I have gone back through posts to fall 2013, and clicked on 2-3 to see if that was THE THREAD but so far have not been able to find it.

If anyone would chime in and let me know what the general consensus was on the following, I would appreciate it!

Do you feel safe doing banking on O's computers?

Do you feel safe doing banking on your own iPad while on board?

Do you feel safe doing banking on Wifi in port?

Many thanks!

Marian

A while ago, there was a great thread, where posters talked about whether they felt safe using WiFi and /or O's computers for doing sensitive /financial type things.

o you feel safe doing banking on O's computers?

Do you feel safe doing banking on your own iPad while on board?

Do you feel safe doing banking on Wifi in port?

Many thanks!

Marian

I personally would never use O's computers for anything personal nor would I ever use a public WIFI. I bring my own computer and IPad with security I trust. You can never be too careful. If you need to do banking bring your own and make sure you have the best security you can buy. Good luck!

I take my own netbook & have no problem doing my banking from the ship

Not sure I would do it from port

Just make sure you have all your passwords in a secure place & I password protect my computer as well

Not sure if it really is more secure but makes me feel better ;)

Have used this method for several B2B's without a problem

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

A good friend and computer genius, in Zurich, who used to head Credit Suisse security told me flatly to never ever use wireless for anything but e-mail and search .

Never make a purchase, give a credit card, do a bank transaction on a wireless system...or use a computer which has stored data fron the past hard line in it on a wireless system..

He demonstrated here in Hawaii, with some fancy stuff located surrounding computors that were on and showed me how he could down load any of them while the user was typing an e-mail. A simple program quickly cracked any password or stuff.. At one point we watched a guy typing a e- mail! as he did it!!! AND he never knew we were in his system

Look at what the NSA is doing... if you have a camera gizmo on your computer they can turn it on to observe you with you knowing. That's a fact jack.... and if they can do that what else can they do??? Or the bad guys?

Also do not forget those radio chips in passports and credit cards are wireless transmitters and can be read with all your data Bad guys can get from radio shack all the stuff to do it..... and all they have to do is stand next to you for 10 seconds... even with your stuff in a pocket or wallet..... ya !!!

Carry all such cards with the RFID in radio opaque cases that you can buy...

His suggestion is find what you like on line to buy or whatever, then using a hard line phone, not a cell, call and make the order or transaction. Since he gets paid serious $$$$ to the finance world I sort of trust him..

Although I would not do banking online aboard a ship, obviously some people do. I recently learned that in some areas of the world (specifically China), there are hackers at work all the time when cruise ships are in port. The poster indicated that your email will probably have to be reset when you leave the waters in and around China. Think of what would happen if someone did hack into your bank account. Is it worth the risk?

There is still a search here, although it is not forum or thread specific. It's up at the very top of the page slightly to the right.

I miss the "show all posts by" feature as sometime threads get moved that you've posted to and you might have been gone for a week or so and you have no idea which board they've been moved to.

Saying never use wifi is crazy. Most of us use it in our own homes.

Security is about encryption. WPA2 is the best we have so far I believe. I would certainly do banking with this level of security. Not sure I would trust WEP, it's much weaker. In any case if I were to use a computer other than my own, I would make sure to clear the browser's cache when done. So far, I have not trusted Android with financial transactions--haven't done the research.

A good friend and computer genius, in Zurich, who used to head Credit Suisse security told me flatly to never ever use wireless for anything but e-mail and search .

Never make a purchase, give a credit card, do a bank transaction on a wireless system...or use a computer which has stored data fron the past hard line in it on a wireless system..

He demonstrated here in Hawaii, with some fancy stuff located surrounding computors that were on and showed me how he could down load any of them while the user was typing an e-mail. A simple program quickly cracked any password or stuff.. At one point we watched a guy typing a e- mail! as he did it!!! AND he never knew we were in his system

Look at what the NSA is doing... if you have a camera gizmo on your computer they can turn it on to observe you with you knowing. That's a fact jack.... and if they can do that what else can they do??? Or the bad guys?

Also do not forget those radio chips in passports and credit cards are wireless transmitters and can be read with all your data Bad guys can get from radio shack all the stuff to do it..... and all they have to do is stand next to you for 10 seconds... even with your stuff in a pocket or wallet..... ya !!!

Carry all such cards with the RFID in radio opaque cases that you can buy...

His suggestion is find what you like on line to buy or whatever, then using a hard line phone, not a cell, call and make the order or transaction. Since he gets paid serious $$$$ to the finance world I sort of trust him..

Your first line says "never use wireless for anything but email and search"

???

I'm sitting here on my MacAir (wireless) in my home, while my wired internet connection is in another room. Who doesn't do that?? And I just ordered something from Amazon. That is more than email and search...

I cannot believe everyone is supposed to go sit at the wired computer to do anything else.

I don't believe I have sat at my desktop in years...

Edited by kimanjo

We just remodeled our condo and, as part of some extensive rewiring, we added Ethernet connections in those rooms with TVs and frequent computer use. Beyond the security of a hardwired desktop Internet connection, the increase in speed (now at about 35 mbps and double our current wireless router) has made a tremendous difference in streaming video like Netflix (0 buffering and all HD!). It also helps in preventing data slowdowns when all our neighbors start eating up bandwidth in the evening. At the very least, $10 for a CAT6 cable from your router left ready for connection to whatever in a reasonable location may be worth your consideration. We also carry a cable when traveling in case hotels offer a choice of Ethernet vs wireless.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Insofar as everything you have tried to keep secret is already known to someone who has bought it from someone who has hacked into a website that you have never heard of, you need only keep in mind that IN THE US you are liable only up to $50, even if the fraud was your fault.

Don't worry, be happy. :)

Ira

Saying never use wifi is crazy. Most of us use it in our own homes.

Security is about encryption. WPA2 is the best we have so far I believe. I would certainly do banking with this level of security. Not sure I would trust WEP, it's much weaker. In any case if I were to use a computer other than my own, I would make sure to clear the browser's cache when done. So far, I have not trusted Android with financial transactions--haven't done the research.

WPA2 is best for encrypting and securing the wireless part, then try to use HTTPS (note the S on the end i.e secure SSL) for your web mail e.g. http://httpS://mail.yahoo.com. That encrypts it across the Internet. Most webmail will redirect HTTP to HTTPS, yahoo does. You should also look for the lock icon near the URL as it is possible for https to not be secure, but rare.

Never make a purchase, give a credit card, do a bank transaction on a wireless system...or use a computer which has stored data fron the past hard line in it on a wireless system....

Right on. And, even more important, find a cave and move in as soon as possible. As I am sure you know, houses and apartments have hollow walls, where god-knows-what can be hidden.

I am not being sarcastic. My advice certainly makes as much sense as his. In fact, that should be obvious when he says a simple program can crack any password. Transparently false, if you know how to create proper passwords. (What is simple is the mathematics needed to prove my previous statement) And did you perhaps notice that HE chose the nearby computers from which he was reading email as they typed?

In one regard he has a point, though. Most computer users are woefully lacking in security.

Is WPA2 something you buy?

I have googled it, and nothing seems to say that...

Do I put it on my computer myself following online instructions?

Would this make doing WIFi banking on my own iPad, whether in ship or in port, much safer.

I do know about the httpS, and the lock icon for email, the bank site has it too, but what I am to worry about is people hacking into the WiFi, correct?And WPA2 helps ensure this can't happen, right?

(Hope I don't get laughed right off of CruiseCritic!)

Thanks for all your help!

Is WPA2 something you buy?

I have googled it, and nothing seems to say that...

Do I put it on my computer myself following online instructions?

Would this make doing WIFi banking on my own iPad, whether in ship or in port, much safer.

I do know about the httpS, and the lock icon for email, the bank site has it too, but what I am to worry about is people hacking into the WiFi, correct?And WPA2 helps ensure this can't happen, right?

(Hope I don't get laughed right off of CruiseCritic!)

Thanks for all your help!

Since you Googled it, you may have seen this article already. A couple of years ago, PC World apparently thought that WPA2 was "secure enough" for online banking. Here is a link to the article http://www.pcworld.com/article/243713/how_safe_is_wpa2_secured_wifi_.html