Hey Celebrity !!! Loud Music Does NOT Equal Younger Demographic

kitty9

We were on the Reflection last week and we made special effort to check the level of music during different times of day and evening amongst the different venues since this has been such a hot topic lately here on CC.

On our first sea day Celebrity was holding the "Taste of Celebrity" on deck four near the atrium. It was about 11:30 and we were having lunch in Bistro on Five and the speakers in this venue were on and the person describing the different dining venues for Taste was loud as was the music played in between descriptions. It took about fifteen minutes but the crew had the volume lowered and then eventually turned off in BO5.

The above was the only time that we noticed any issues at all and we had cocktails every evening in both the Martini and Molecular bars. Most evenings when walking back to one of the specialty restaurants for dinner there was live music in the Ensemble and again it was not loud. We even made jokes all week about our ears bleeding from all of the loud music. ;) If you're at the Martini bar late in the evening they have the Miami DJ's and yes it's a higher volume but this was 11:00 and later. It's meant to be a party atmosphere and the place was packed. People were dancing and enjoying themselves. Nice to see that X doesn't roll up the carpet at dusk.

Also I read over and over about Rap and Heavy Metal music being played. Never heard it once. I did hear Top 40/Pop around the ship. I also heard Sinatra, Buble, and Dean Martin, etc. A far cry from Rap or Heavy Metal. I have a feeling that some don't know the difference between Katy Perry, Iron Maiden or Jay-Z. For those that are cruising with Celebrity for the first time I suggest not worrying about this. Just plan on enjoying yourself.

[quote name='Ann in Florida']Say it isn't so, Celebrity! We're sailing for the first time on the Silhouette over Christmas and taking my son and his girlfriend on her First Ever Cruise basically because HA still hasn't caught up with the notion of NO SMOKING on their balconies! So when we DO go on HA, as in fact we are planning to do in September, we never take a balcony which I certainly prefer, simply due to cigar or cigarette smoke drifting over and spoiling the entire experience.

But loud music, so loud you could hear it in your stateroom, oh lord, this is intolerable. I certainly hope Celebrity is continuing to monitor this thread and will take seriously all of our complaints about their decision to destroy all of their guest's hearing in one week's time, not to mention any lovely, quiet enjoyment of a ship's serene ambiance. Guess what Celebrity? If the music is decibel high enough to blast one's eardrums to smithereens, I will send you my auditory disorder bill at the end of the cruise. Not to mention, NEVER take another cruise with your ship again.

People, we need to take a stand against this kind of sound tyranny! If I want that kind of eardrum blasting music, I'll go to a rock concert or my local Grease Burger. Otherwise, dear Celebrity why not listen to your public's pleading to lower the volume so conversation can actually be heard and enjoyed above the injurious din?

Thanks.
Ann[/QUOTE]
Ann, THIS IS NOT SO! This is not happening on Celebrity any different from any of the other lines you have sailed. Fear not, your kids will have a wonderful cruise as will you. Edited by wallie5446

[quote name='wpgcycler']Out of spite? Or do you honestly not know there are several other bars - some of them quiet and peaceful?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]we just avoid that venue (and probably do not buy a drink).[/QUOTE]

Why should he buy a drink from a venue that he doesn't stay at? Edited by The_Big_M

[quote name='wpgcycler']BECAUSE HE SAYS HE DOESNT LIKE IT!!! many do!!![/QUOTE]

WHY SHOUT?!!!

Your question asking if his lack of purchase from there is out of spite doesn't make any sense. If he doesn't like a venue, why should he buy a drink from there?

Do you shop at shops that don't appeal to you - and moreover feel obliged to?!

When we were on the Eclipse in February, I found the music not too loud except at the pool when the live band played. I asked if the speakers could be turned down and was told to go to the solarium. Not happy with that answer from staff.

I was on Millenium in January and we used to sit around the outdoor pool area the music would start off really nice and relaxing we are on holiday after all. The DJ would arrive and play a good choice of music but would turn the volume up so much that people got up and went else where, we are not deaf but probably most of us would be at the end of the cruise.

Please comment if you are still monitoring this thread about the secret location of the quiet spots on S class ships.........I couldn't find any on our trip on the Eclipse on 1/2013....I wrote an email to Mr. Bailey and actually got a follow up call from the person who "really" gets those emails.

The only quiet place you mentioned was your cabin.....I would imagine that would likely include your Verandah if you had one of those cabins..........how about other locations?

Seeing the number of continuing posts about this subject one year later suggests that Celebrity could care less about what we want.
My suggestion is to please everyone with some areas with whatever music they want to play at whatever volume (e.g., Sky Lounge, Quasar) and have some areas with quieter music particularly the Centrum that is connected directly to the library, Guest Relations desk and Hideaway and particularly the dining room where conversation below shouting levels would be nice.

I would personally recommend everyone either skip the shows in the theater or be sure to pack and use earplugs because the VOLUME is deafening and unpleasant

[quote name='eclipse2011']When have been on three celebrity cruise ( eclipse, siluette, reflection ) over the last three years ( our only three cruises). After seeing this type of thread many times after our first cruise, I have listened to the music on our last two cruises especialy to the type and volume. Although I can understand the potential issue with the open central foyer I have never thought Any of this was inappropriate in music type or volume. Our last cabin was on the hump midship and we never heard anything in our room and never had a problem finding a place to sit and have a quiet conversation.

On a seven night carribean cruise we would not expect a qiet ,silent ship. Just my two cents.[/quote] Edited by OBX-Cruisers

[quote name='still-learning']Just off the Equinox and happy to report we had NO problems with music being too loud. It was loud enough to provide a party/celebratory atmosphere but still maintain conversation with those nearby. There was a great variety of music that rotated through out different venues; a string trio, solo acoustic guitar, girl duet, party band, and contemporary DJ. Well done IMHO, something for everybody. Thank you Celebrity.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ann in Florida']Say it isn't so, Celebrity! We're sailing for the first time on the Silhouette over Christmas and taking my son and his girlfriend on her First Ever Cruise basically because HA still hasn't caught up with the notion of NO SMOKING on their balconies! So when we DO go on HA, as in fact we are planning to do in September, we never take a balcony which I certainly prefer, simply due to cigar or cigarette smoke drifting over and spoiling the entire experience.

But loud music, so loud you could hear it in your stateroom, oh lord, this is intolerable. I certainly hope Celebrity is continuing to monitor this thread and will take seriously all of our complaints about their decision to destroy all of their guest's hearing in one week's time, not to mention any lovely, quiet enjoyment of a ship's serene ambiance. Guess what Celebrity? If the music is decibel high enough to blast one's eardrums to smithereens, I will send you my auditory disorder bill at the end of the cruise. Not to mention, NEVER take another cruise with your ship again.

People, we need to take a stand against this kind of sound tyranny! If I want that kind of eardrum blasting music, I'll go to a rock concert or my local Grease Burger. Otherwise, dear Celebrity why not listen to your public's pleading to lower the volume so conversation can actually be heard and enjoyed above the injurious din?

Thanks.
Ann[/QUOTE]

Here you are my dear!
Nuff said. Edited by wallie5446

[quote name='OBX-Cruisers']Please comment if you are still monitoring this thread about the secret location of the quiet spots on S class ships.........I couldn't find any on our trip on the Eclipse on 1/2013....I wrote an email to Mr. Bailey and actually got a follow up call from the person who "really" gets those emails.

The only quiet place you mentioned was your cabin.....I would imagine that would likely include your Verandah if you had one of those cabins..........how about other locations?

Seeing the number of continuing posts about this subject one year later suggests that Celebrity could care less about what we want.
My suggestion is to please everyone with some areas with whatever music they want to play at whatever volume (e.g., Sky Lounge, Quasar) and have some areas with quieter music particularly the Centrum that is connected directly to the library, Guest Relations desk and Hideaway and particularly the dining room where conversation below shouting levels would be nice.

I would personally recommend everyone either skip the shows in the theater or be sure to pack and use earplugs because the VOLUME is deafening and unpleasant[/QUOTE]
We just hit the big 60 and found plenty of way too quiet places last Nov on the Reflection. Edited by wallie5446

[quote name='The_Big_M']WHY SHOUT?!!!

Your question asking if his lack of purchase from there is out of spite doesn't make any sense. If he doesn't like a venue, why should he buy a drink from there?

Do you shop at shops that don't appeal to you - and moreover feel obliged to?![/QUOTE]

[quote name='OBX-Cruisers']Please comment if you are still monitoring this thread about the secret location of the quiet spots on S class ships.........I couldn't find any on our trip on the Eclipse on 1/2013....I wrote an email to Mr. Bailey and actually got a follow up call from the person who "really" gets those emails.

I would personally recommend everyone either skip the shows in the theater or be sure to pack and use earplugs because the VOLUME is deafening and unpleasant[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess there comes a time when one has to accept that some people are just basically unreasonable. There are several quiet areas of the ship where one can get a drink and enjoy quiet conversation - Ensemble, Passport, Michaels for instance. I wonderful conversations with fellow passengers in several. If someone is not happy with those or in the case of one poster, refuse to acknowledge their existence, then yes, their best option would be to go to their room and sulk - exactly what I would tell my kids to do when they insist on being unreasonable.

24 pages of posts and no one has come back with actual decibel readings from a sailing. Until we see those it's only perception.

Many people would consider 90-100db deafening, I consider it good listening volume depending on the time and place. Not that I want to be around that for extended periods though.

[quote name='sergeant655']The Martini bar music on infinity is topping at 86db. I am currently on on board and am carrying a sound level meter. I will get some readings from various venue before I leave tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Seriously???

We were on Reflection a couple of weeks ago. No issues with sound levels. Cranky passengers.... well, that's another thread. LOL

[quote name='sergeant655']The Martini bar music on infinity is topping at 86db. I am currently on on board and am carrying a sound level meter. I will get some readings from various venue before I leave tomorrow.[/quote]

Ok ya'll smarter than me, is that loud?

[quote name='wallie5446']Ok ya'll smarter than me, is that loud?[/quote]
85 decibles is being inside a car listening to the busy city traffic outside and it is slightly lower than a lawn mower or hairdryer and slightly louder than a washing machine and telephone dial tone.

Also, where is he standing when taking the reading. If you take a reading right next to the speakers, it will be totally different in other areas of the bar.

And note from Christine Frances's attachement: OSHA Daily Permissible Noise Level Exposure
Hours per day: 8 - Sound level: 90dB Edited by NLH Arizona

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I really enjoyed my cruise on the Equinox last year. I am scheduled to go again in December. The one thing I missed on my cruise last year was steel drum music. I mentioned this on my survey and I am hoping to have some steel drum music on my cruise this year! I hope you are reading this Celebrity![/FONT]:cool:

Some people are easier to please I guess:

Ensemble = bar in a hallway to Blu, Quisine/Silk Harvest and Tuscan Grill outside of Michaels and Murano and and where Trivia is played................sounds quiet to me

Passport: Bar in Atrium with Guest Services and hallway to forward cabins..........

Michaels: bar with no windows and where at least in Eclipse they have installed Perry Grant.........nice quiet closet so I have to agree with you there

Everything is relative it seems but how about my comment about loud techno music at breakfast in the buffet............maybe I should just eat in my room is what you are saying...........nice

[quote name='wpgcycler']Well, I guess there comes a time when one has to accept that some people are just basically unreasonable. There are several quiet areas of the ship where one can get a drink and enjoy quiet conversation - Ensemble, Passport, Michaels for instance. I wonderful conversations with fellow passengers in several. If someone is not happy with those or in the case of one poster, refuse to acknowledge their existence, then yes, their best option would be to go to their room and sulk - exactly what I would tell my kids to do when they insist on being unreasonable.[/quote]