Hey Celebrity !!! Loud Music Does NOT Equal Younger Demographic

kitty9

Was thinking of booking the holiday cruise on the Summit for New Year's but the issue of excessively loud music has me concerned. I already am functioning with only one ear -- I can't afford to lose any hearing in my other ear.

Will hold off on my booking until I hear if the ships have scaled back on the volume or not!

Not having hearing issues I can't comment on dangerous decibel levels except to say that

of the 3 cruise lines I have been on, Celebrity volumes were clearly lower then RC's or Carnivals.

Perhaps you should look at HAL ?

Just back from the Constellation... music was loud (not overly) a few times on the pool deck - live band at sail away from ports - a couple of times it was a bit loud at the Martini bar but only when the bar was crowded. The music was never intrusive although at times it seemed a bit weird... not bad just different to what I might pick.

Overall a great trip and for the first time with Celebrity makes it easy to look for another cruise with them.

Also just back from Constellation - thought that the real music problem was with the D.J.'s - my ears rang after just a short time in the Reflection's disco. Pounding club music when you got on. Even my 20 and 23 year old thought it was too loud - so much for pleasing the younger demographic. The live music was often too loud but if you sat in the back it was tolerable. Live music needs to be lowered a bit, D.J.'s need to lower it a lot - the workers will start to have hearing damage soon.

Not having hearing issues I can't comment on dangerous decibel levels except to say that

of the 3 cruise lines I have been on, Celebrity volumes were clearly lower then RC's or Carnivals.

Funnily enough, I found the opposite was true with Celebrity distinctly louder than Royal Caribbean.

That said, I'm optimistic from the rep's reply here that they will take steps to address that.

Thanks for the info! Never been on RC or Carnival, and have been on HAL as well as Celebrity. :)

Just off the Reflection (at the miami airport awaiting flight back to the cold:eek::eek:).

If this one cruise is indicative of the current level of the music directive from Miami I think our issue is solved!!

I tried to pay attention to the volume at various times and venues during the week. I never encountered what I felt to be "loud" music. Yesterday they had a zumba class at the pool (I think they have zumba nonstop during the daylight hours) and the music was at a level that was nowhere near loud.

We had a different cruise director than they had during the cc gathering that generated much of the discussion on cc, so maybe that had something to do with the volume adjustment.

I hope this is the end of the problem!

Just off the Reflection (at the miami airport awaiting flight back to the cold:eek::eek:).

If this one cruise is indicative of the current level of the music directive from Miami I think our issue is solved!!

I tried to pay attention to the volume at various times and venues during the week. I never encountered what I felt to be "loud" music. Yesterday they had a zumba class at the pool (I think they have zumba nonstop during the daylight hours) and the music was at a level that was nowhere near loud.

We had a different cruise director than they had during the cc gathering that generated much of the discussion on cc, so maybe that had something to do with the volume adjustment.

I hope this is the end of the problem!

Sweet:D...and everything else? Hope you had a great cruise:D

Sweet:D...and everything else? Hope you had a great cruise:D

Great cruise (but aren't they all!!). Perfect weather. Same ports we have been to many times. Very relaxing. Hate to leave the warm weather!, but they are calling my flight to board :(:(

Oh no..just when I thought that I finally figured out that you can't believe anything you read on the Interweb. This will test my theory. Fingers crossed.

Think I'll print this out for my next CD/HD to read. ;)

Hi all,

We want to ensure that everyone is enjoying the music on our ship, and we never want to have music that is too loud, or too low. We have looked into the issue, and we will make sure that the volume is corrected on all of our ships. This process may take a few days, but rest assured we have passed on your feedback and want to provide the best cruising experience for all of our guests.

Thanks Sportfishers! (Post # 432)

This article goes a long way to solve the mystery of what is going on with the entertainment on Celebrity. I strongly urge readers of this thread to review this article.

It basically says that Celebrity have recently employed Becky Thomson Foley to shake up and modernize the on board entertainment.

Based on my very recent experience on Reflection, while I think the intention is great, I think she is seriously missing the mark. The odd experience called Liquid, the overly loud Miami DJs, the pervasive loud volume on our sailing, is hardly "Modern Luxury".

Time to seriously rethink the execution of this new direction.

Reminds me of the time some years ago when Celebrity erred by stringing white sheets and cotton wool in the observation lounges of some of the M-Class ships, in a misguided attempt to bring a kind of Circe Soleil experience onboard.:rolleyes:

Edited by Seapoint

From this article "Then the host offered a prize to the first 50 people on the dance floor, and a swarm headed out there. It was a joke, though — the prize was a free dance class, which he conducted, sort of, then and there. The gimmick may have gotten the party started, but Becky Thomson Foley, Celebrity’s director of entertainment and cruise programs, wasn’t impressed. “We’ve been telling that same joke for 23 years,” she said as we looked on.

Well bully for Becky in her attempt to reinvent the wheel. Meanwhile that 25 year old joke actually got people dancing.

I wonder how, after she bans that joke, she proposes to get the party started.

Sometimes shtick is used and overused because it works.

If something works better GREAT !. Change for change sake is idiotic.

Edited by richstowe

Becky Thomson Foley's Experience

Director of Entertainment

Celebrity Cruises

Privately Held; 10,001+ employees; Hospitality industry

October 2013 – Present (6 months) Miami, FL

Entertainment Consultant and Producer of Entertainment Events

Folson Creative

August 2010 – Present (3 years 8 months)

We have recently expanded our company to include Entertainment Consulting, Producing of events and Hosting of Events (of course).

Manager, Entertainment and Cruise Programs

Celebrity Cruises

Privately Held; 10,001+ employees; Hospitality industry

November 2007 – August 2010 (2 years 10 months)

Manager of Entertainment and all onboard Guest Activities

Cruise Director

Royal Caribbean International

Public Company; 10,001+ employees; RCL; Leisure, Travel & Tourism industry

January 1999 – September 2007 (8 years 9 months) Miami, FL

Manages all entertainment and activities programs onboard the vessels. Manages 160+ staff. Creates and produces the daily Guest program.Entertainment Host for 4500+ Guests

I don't have a problem with her trying something new, and support it as a good thing.

The proof is in the pudding, as long as they assess and see whether it's appreciated, then it's worthwhile.

Some things are resisted upfront and then grown to be liked as people get used to them. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Host Andy']Hi Still-learning,

I hope you will share your observations with us, when you return home. Have a wonderful time on Equinox ![/QUOTE]

Just off the Equinox and happy to report we had NO problems with music being too loud. It was loud enough to provide a party/celebratory atmosphere but still maintain conversation with those nearby. There was a great variety of music that rotated through out different venues; a string trio, solo acoustic guitar, girl duet, party band, and contemporary DJ. Well done IMHO, something for everybody. Thank you Celebrity.

[quote name='Seapoint']Thanks Sportfishers! (Post # 432)

Based on my very recent experience on Reflection, while I think the intention is great, I think she is seriously missing the mark. The odd experience called Liquid, the overly loud Miami DJs, the pervasive loud volume on our sailing, is hardly "Modern Luxury".

[/quote]

Funny how music taste is so different. I actually enjoyed Miami DJs slot at the various venues. My friend and I wished he was playing more often instead of the dreadful Band that we had during our Constellation sailing in Early March. DJ Carlos was also pretty good.

I prefer them over the Acapella groups we had last year on our Summit sailing. Edited by Sandy1975

So here is my "take" on the issue. If I want to really listen to music I go to a concert or a show where the volume might be a bit loud. But if I go to a bar, lounge, dinner, etc. we want to ability to relax, chat with friends, and perhaps listen to the music. But we do not want music that inhibits socialization..as that is the reason most folks go to bars. So when Celebrity turns up the volume in the Martini Bar so that folks cannot even hear themselves think....we just avoid that venue (and probably do not buy a drink).

Hank

[quote name='LeftcoastBC']I don't believe that this is about taste ,

It's about volume. Great music is great music to the listener. Loud music of any sort can be out of place in a confined space.

Nice to hear good news on this issue.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more ;).On our march 2nd Eastern Caribbean & the b2b Western Caribbean Mar 9th on silhouette ,the atrium music was so loud it radiated into the library:eek:

Say it isn't so, Celebrity! We're sailing for the first time on the Silhouette over Christmas and taking my son and his girlfriend on her First Ever Cruise basically because HA still hasn't caught up with the notion of NO SMOKING on their balconies! So when we DO go on HA, as in fact we are planning to do in September, we never take a balcony which I certainly prefer, simply due to cigar or cigarette smoke drifting over and spoiling the entire experience.

But loud music, so loud you could hear it in your stateroom, oh lord, this is intolerable. I certainly hope Celebrity is continuing to monitor this thread and will take seriously all of our complaints about their decision to destroy all of their guest's hearing in one week's time, not to mention any lovely, quiet enjoyment of a ship's serene ambiance. Guess what Celebrity? If the music is decibel high enough to blast one's eardrums to smithereens, I will send you my auditory disorder bill at the end of the cruise. Not to mention, NEVER take another cruise with your ship again.

People, we need to take a stand against this kind of sound tyranny! If I want that kind of eardrum blasting music, I'll go to a rock concert or my local Grease Burger. Otherwise, dear Celebrity why not listen to your public's pleading to lower the volume so conversation can actually be heard and enjoyed above the injurious din?

Thanks.
Ann

[quote name='Ann in Florida']Say it isn't so, Celebrity! We're sailing for the first time on the Silhouette over Christmas and taking my son and his girlfriend on her First Ever Cruise basically because HA still hasn't caught up with the notion of NO SMOKING on their balconies! So when we DO go on HA, as in fact we are planning to do in September, we never take a balcony which I certainly prefer, simply due to cigar or cigarette smoke drifting over and spoiling the entire experience.

But loud music, so loud you could hear it in your stateroom, oh lord, this is intolerable. I certainly hope Celebrity is continuing to monitor this thread and will take seriously all of our complaints about their decision to destroy all of their guest's hearing in one week's time, not to mention any lovely, quiet enjoyment of a ship's serene ambiance. Guess what Celebrity? If the music is decibel high enough to blast one's eardrums to smithereens, I will send you my auditory disorder bill at the end of the cruise. Not to mention, NEVER take another cruise with your ship again.

People, we need to take a stand against this kind of sound tyranny! If I want that kind of eardrum blasting music, I'll go to a rock concert or my local Grease Burger. Otherwise, dear Celebrity why not listen to your public's pleading to lower the volume so conversation can actually be heard and enjoyed above the injurious din?

Thanks.
Ann[/QUOTE]

Read post #441 above and don't fall victim to the fear mongering. The issue has been addressed. Edited by wpgcycler

[quote name='Ann in Florida']Say it isn't so, Celebrity! We're sailing for the first time on the Silhouette over Christmas and taking my son and his girlfriend on her First Ever Cruise basically because HA still hasn't caught up with the notion of NO SMOKING on their balconies! So when we DO go on HA, as in fact we are planning to do in September, we never take a balcony which I certainly prefer, simply due to cigar or cigarette smoke drifting over and spoiling the entire experience.

Thanks.
Ann[/QUOTE]

Ann not to worry. Although the music in the martini bar on our equinox cruise last month was annoyingly loud and made having a conversation in that venue difficult, it's not like that all over the ship. I think you will love Silhouette.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app