What's the deal with new menus?

frayedend

I have to admit I've been out of here for a while and now I'm seeing stuff about this New American Menu and some feast menu. From what I've found online it seems it's only certain ships. But then other posts seem to imply it's all ships now.

I'm going on Valor in July. Anyone know what menu I will have and where I can find them?

Wondering the same thing. I will be on the Victory in June. It will be my first cruise so I am hoping that they will have the old menu. I really want to try the chocolate melting cake and the bitter and blanc. (Apparently those didm't make it onto the new menus.)

Here is the link to the menus. Hopefully this helps you a little. :)

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/CarnivalCruiseLineMenus.htm

I have to admit I've been out of here for a while and now I'm seeing stuff about this New American Menu and some feast menu. From what I've found online it seems it's only certain ships. But then other posts seem to imply it's all ships now.

I'm going on Valor in July. Anyone know what menu I will have and where I can find them?

It's currently in a pilot rollout on a couple of ships. Remaining ship rollout is tentative at this point.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Wondering the same thing. I will be on the Victory in June. It will be my first cruise so I am hoping that they will have the old menu. I really want to try the chocolate melting cake and the bitter and blanc. (Apparently those didm't make it onto the new menus.)

I do not believe it is on all ships yet.

Good news is the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake did make the cut but I think they call it the Carnival chocolate Melting Cake or something like that.

I had been hearing a lot about the new menu and was determined to keep an open mind. I never really paid much attention to the menu before and it wasn't like I had favourites or anything. To be completely honest, I did not like the new menu. The menu itself is huge and awkward, the layout is confusing and the food was hit and miss. There were some really good things, mostly desserts and apps, and some really bad things, I had a few disappointing mains. There are some items that stay consistent (a chicken, fish and steak option and usually pork chop), the rest change daily. I found some of the items weren't as described.

Our waiter explained on the first night that the ones that stay consistent, you need to order a side, but the daily ones are a meal. My husband and a lady sitting at the same table ordered the Chateaubriand. It came with the steak and mushrooms. That's it. According to him we should not have had to order a side, luckily my husband did anyway. The lady did not, she was quite upset.

It seems most of the time the entrees didn't come with sides. One night I ordered a dish that just described the meat, so I assumed no sides. I ordered a potato and veggies to go with it. it came with rice and veggies so I had double. Sigh.

It would / should only be on four ships at this point.

Glory

Liberty

Imagination

Inspiration

I am not reading good feedback on the Glory or Liberty, except that they did not remove the tablecloths on the Liberty. This might be a good sign..

Edited by Phlybice

I've seen at least one of the new menus and I wasn't overly impressed. They do have the melting cake, but as mentioned above it was called Carnival Chocolate Melting Cake. I can't imagine they'd ever do away with that. I make it at home now every once in a while. It's not that hard.

I wasn't a fan of the Bitter and Blanc. I was excited to try it but didn't find it all that great. But I had no problems with most of the regular menus each night. I like new things so this gives me mixed feelings. I'm guessing I'll have the old menu on my cruise based on the feedback so far.

Glory

Liberty

Imagination

Inspiration

I am not reading good feedback on the Glory or Liberty, except that they did not remove the tablecloths on the Liberty. This might be a good sign..

We were on Liberty the end of January. I was surprised to see tablecloths on the first night until I lifted up the corner. The tables are ugly underneath. They won't get rid of the tablecloths until they replace all of the tables.

We were on Liberty the end of January. I was surprised to see tablecloths on the first night until I lifted up the corner. The tables are ugly underneath. They won't get rid of the tablecloths until they replace all of the tables.

We were on the Inspiration in Feb. I was happy to see tablecloths on the tables. I, also, lifted the cloth and found a white vinyl-top table (much like the ones you see at catered events). I agree, they would need to do something about the table tops before they can get rid of the tablecloths.

I can't imagine the melting cake didnt make it???

Glory

Liberty

Imagination

Inspiration

I was on the Glory.

I actually didn't mind the lack of tableclothes, the table still looked nice. I heard the Liberty needs to replace tables before removing the table clothes (I think someone above mentioned it).

I am just recently off of the Glory also. Did not care for the new menus...lots of things missing and hate the no tablecloths. Makes for a noisy dining room. Even the maitre de' didn't like it.

they had it last week on the Imagination....all I can say is there really is not that much of a change to report...

sure there are a few new items

sure it is presented differently

but it is the same menu as before for the most part ...they have table appetizers servings of a few items like calamari... still have the chicken, steak, salmon every night....

Still have the baby lobsters, prime rib, also new on formal night was a lamb shank....which was incredible by the way...

On the Glory end of January. We liked the new menu. Keep an open mind. It is different. Look it over carefully. If I remember right it did say if there was a side with it or not. For instance it does say chicken served on a bed of rice, etc. You just have to take your time and read the menu. We did not like the size of it. It is just to hard to hold onto. It is big. We didn't think it was confusing to read. Again take your time read it and figure it out. Enjoy the experience! The Warm Chocolate melting cake is offered every night. It did change it's name to Carnival Melting Cake. Still the same awesome stuff! I thought the tables looked nice without the table clothes. Didn't have to worry about getting them caught in my lap and such.

Just remember to keep an open mind. Don't let the comments on here dictate your experience. Everyone's taste are different.

Enjoy!

I am just recently off of the Glory also. Did not care for the new menus...lots of things missing and hate the no tablecloths. Makes for a noisy dining room. Even the maitre de' didn't like it.

I cannot believe they would do away with tablecloths!What is next...paper plates???

Just had the new menus on the Imagination. WCMC is on the menu every night. No table clothes,no big deal. Also no full service of silverware. I enjoyed the new menus and did not feel it was a step down. Only difference was fewer dessert offerings. Much ado about nothing.

Edited by joeyancho

I sailed on the Liberty last month and I would say that I enjoyed the new menus overall. On Elegant night though the menu seemed really limited. It does say that items "from the grill" are available but I didn't feel like asking what they were. The shared apps were very good. I enjoyed the flatbread and the calamari was only the rings which I prefer to the tentacles and it was served with 2 dips. I intend on doing a photo review of the new menus soon.

On the Glory end of January. We liked the new menu. Keep an open mind. It is different. Look it over carefully. If I remember right it did say if there was a side with it or not. For instance it does say chicken served on a bed of rice, etc. You just have to take your time and read the menu. We did not like the size of it. It is just to hard to hold onto. It is big. We didn't think it was confusing to read. Again take your time read it and figure it out. Enjoy the experience! The Warm Chocolate melting cake is offered every night. It did change it's name to Carnival Melting Cake. Still the same awesome stuff! I thought the tables looked nice without the table clothes. Didn't have to worry about getting them caught in my lap and such.

Just remember to keep an open mind. Don't let the comments on here dictate your experience. Everyone's taste are different.

Enjoy!

Very well said!:D

I cannot believe they would do away with tablecloths!What is next...paper plates???

Sure..... Most high end restaurants in the U.S. have done away with tablecloths. They are really considered out of fashion by most restaurant designers these days as well as not as environmentally friendly to wash all those tablecloths.

I'm not saying that a Carnival MDR is high-end, but tablecloths don't mean fine dining anymore. Check out places like Zuma in Miami.... not a tablecloth to be found.

We were on VALOR last week

and I'm pleased to report that the tablecloths were still in place

and there were no new menus!

Just the way I like it. :)

Great news! I'd hate to think that one of the things I don't complain about would be changed. :D

Carnival was in desperate need of new menus. I had them memorized and was getting so sick of them. They definitely needed to offer new choices. What I don't understand is why they had to change the format, change the table setting, get rid of some of the more popular choices (like creme brulee). I think the new format will be confusing to some. All of the appetizers and all of the meals need to be grouped together. I don't like how the main choices are in one section, the port of call choices in another, etc.

Haven't tried the new menus yet but was especially disappointed to see the cold soups missing. Had never tried a cold soup til cruising Carnival & became a big fan. Will be on the Freedom in 1 1/2 weeks & plan to order every cold soup (possibly for the last time, sigh)!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Haven't tried the new menus yet but was especially disappointed to see the cold soups missing. Had never tried a cold soup til cruising Carnival & became a big fan. Will be on the Freedom in 1 1/2 weeks & plan to order every cold soup (possibly for the last time, sigh)!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Enjoy the cold soups for me, too, as when we sail Freedom in 2015 they'll be long gone.