Labadee

CaribbeanH2OLover

In just a few weeks we will have our first visit to Labadee. Any recommendations on a good place to camp out for the day as a family? DD is 7 and likes to swim, snorkel and build sand castles. Nana will be with us and burns very easily so needs a shaded area. Trying to find the best of both worlds.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I can't remember the name of the beach, but it was toward the end on the right past the markets. It was lovely and close to the water park. Whatever you do stay away from the beach on the left that was closest to the entrance. It is extremely rocky even in the water. You cannot even walk in it without shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Labadee isn't so large that you can't wander about until you find the perfect spot! You do NOT need to pay for a cabana...there is plenty of shade!

However the Cabana's are special. You have very comfortable seating and are provided with additional chairs on the beach as well as a cooler with bottled water. You also get beach floating mats to use, without any additional charges.

The lunch for cabana guests is a different barbecue then for non-cabana guests. Ample seating available at the cabana barbecue location. Each cabana has a shared butler who will bring you drinks if you request- if you have the drink package, they are included.

Depends on what you like to do- a really nice "shore excursion". I believe the cabana's will hold up to six. We had one on Nellie's Beach and one Hillside.

Edited by Cruise a holic

However the Cabana's are special. You have very comfortable seating and are provided with additional chairs on the beach as well as a cooler with bottled water. You also get beach floating mats to use, without any additional charges.

The lunch for cabana guests is a different barbecue then for non-cabana guests. Ample seating available at the cabana barbecue location. Each cabana has a shared butler who will bring you drinks if you request- if you have the drink package, they are included.

Depends on what you like to do- a really nice "shore excursion". I believe the cabana's will hold up to six. We had one on Nellie's Beach and one Hillside.

You will only get the upgraded lunch from booking a cabana if you are on suite beach.

Try Columbus cove, busy but fun.

Kids will find other kids to play with

Parents can lounge in loungers.

Sea Ya

You will only get the upgraded lunch from booking a cabana if you are on suite beach.

Try Columbus cove, busy but fun.

Kids will find other kids to play with

Parents can lounge in loungers.

Sea Ya

Not correct. We didn't have a suite when we were on both Celebrity and RC and booked the Cabana. Your butler takes you over to the "suite area" for the special lunch. You have a bracelet ID if you want to walk to the area yourself.

Not correct. We didn't have a suite when we were on both Celebrity and RC and booked the Cabana. Your butler takes you over to the "suite area" for the special lunch. You have a bracelet ID if you want to walk to the area yourself.

They recently changed this so now if you book a cabana in the non suite area you eat with everyone else. However, the price is still the same. So, the previous poster was correct and your information is outdated.

We rented a cabana on our last cruise and yes it was nice, but not something we would do each time we were there. We spent the whole day at the cabana and didn't really venture out to the rest of Labadee. Next time we will find a nice place in the shade and save the $$.

They recently changed this so now if you book a cabana in the non suite area you eat with everyone else. However, the price is still the same. So, the previous poster was correct and your information is outdated.

We rented a cabana on our last cruise and yes it was nice, but not something we would do each time we were there. We spent the whole day at the cabana and didn't really venture out to the rest of Labadee. Next time we will find a nice place in the shade and save the $$.

Our last visit to labedee was on the Allure about 7 weeks ago. we are going again at the end of the month on celebrity. Will confirm again.

Thanks

You don't need to drop big bucks to enjoy Labadee. Labadee didn't have 'em for a long, long time. There are a LOT of shaded areas with loungers. In fact, there is a small childs water park and about 30 yards away is a huge shaded area for lounging out. It is close to the water on the bay side as well, but without being on top of the crowds there. For your first trip to Labadee, my suggestion, wherever you see a crowd, walk one minute more, find shade, you're set.

Here is a link to a map too big too post here

http://cdn.aboutcruiseships.com/2013/07/map-of-Labadee.jpg

Spot 26 is the Kids Water park - Direct south of that where it just looks "blank" is a big shaded area and it is a 1 minute walk to the beach

Edited by LMaxwell

This has changed since October 4th. of 2013 and as of late------ and besides we do not have the benefit of butlers when we book our suite with RCI, we only have the concernage.

Suite beach buffet is for suite guest and cabanas( Barefoot beach) not Nellies Beach on RCI.

Although I have heard if you "tip" the attendant you can get in.:eek:

Sea ya

Edited by Lionesss

This has changed since October 4th. of 2013 and as of late------ and besides we do not have the benefit of butlers when we book our suite with RCI, we only have the concernage.

Suite beach buffet is for suite guest and cabanas( Barefoot beach) not Nellies Beach on RCI.

Although I have heard if you "tip" the attendant you can get in.:eek:

Sea ya

The cabana was on Nellies beach on our cruise last year In january 2015

last time in Jan on Allure we were on the hillside canana

But the barbie was on barefoot beach. The butler drove us to it on a golf type cart. Will confirm that the special barbecue is still available for cabana guests. Regardless of type of cabin you stay in

Edited by Cruise a holic

:eek:

Last year was 2013 that was when RCI started the changes (Anything after October 2013 bookings I believe).

And I was refering to RCI and not other lines.

I realize other cruise lines use Labadee and I should have clarified I was refering to RCI Ships.

Sorry if I caused any confusion:rolleyes:.

Sea Ya

You don't need to drop big bucks to enjoy Labadee. Labadee didn't have 'em for a long, long time. There are a LOT of shaded areas with loungers. In fact, there is a small childs water park and about 30 yards away is a huge shaded area for lounging out. It is close to the water on the bay side as well, but without being on top of the crowds there. For your first trip to Labadee, my suggestion, wherever you see a crowd, walk one minute more, find shade, you're set.

Here is a link to a map too big too post here

http://cdn.aboutcruiseships.com/2013/07/map-of-Labadee.jpg

Spot 26 is the Kids Water park - Direct south of that where it just looks "blank" is a big shaded area and it is a 1 minute walk to the beach

Excellent advice.

I'd disagree with it being "big bucks" considering how much I spend on the whole vacation. But of course what you said is true, most people don't get cabanas and still have a great day.

We just loved it though, totally worth the money (in context of the price of the whole vaca.)

If you ride the tram to the end of the line you'll be across a little bay from the ship.

There's a lot of shade as well as a nice beach area. They serve lunch at a pavilion right near there.

That's Columbus Cove....

:eek:

Last year was 2013 that was when RCI started the changes (Anything after October 2013 bookings I believe).

And I was refering to RCI and not other lines.

I realize other cruise lines use Labadee and I should have clarified I was refering to RCI Ships.

Sorry if I caused any confusion:rolleyes:.

Sea Ya

Here is a message string that confirms all reservations after October 2013 do not get the buffet at Barefoot beach.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1924664

Get a cabana if possible as soon as you board. If you can't do that, then any of the beaches on the right as you walk off the ship are good for swimming, and you should be able to find a shady spot.

Columbus Cove sounds good. Quick question if anyone knows... Is the water safe in the kids play area? I worry about it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Good question. They do have signs in the bathrooms over the sinks (don't drink this water), but I never considered the water in the play area. But you have to assume kids are going to drink that water, so I think it will be fine.

Plus, the beach at Columbus Cove (others are right, this is the best spot) is so nice your daughter might not even want to go to the play area!