Tired of the Bashing

bphman

I'm saying you are wrong, but how do you know they haven't cruised Carnival?

Burt

Lots of times people will admit it after being asked.

On another Disney cruise board, Carnival is often held up to ridicule and asine comments are made like, "Carnival is full of drunks" or "Carnival cruisers are a lower class of people". When you ask most of the people making these remarks if they've ever cruised Carnival their response is usually "No, but my brother's bosses, neighbours friend did and they said...." or "I've heard....".

And I've had coworkers ask me about cruising and say, "oh, but you'd never sail Carnival, right? They're so awful!" And I happily tell them that I have sailed Carnival and enjoy sailing Carnival and would do so in a heartbeat. When I ask about their bad experience with Carnival, it's often, "oh I haven't sailed Carnival, but you know.... everyone knows they are crap....".

Lots of times people will admit it after being asked.

On another Disney cruise board, Carnival is often held up to ridicule and asine comments are made like, "Carnival is full of drunks" or "Carnival cruisers are a lower class of people". When you ask most of the people making these remarks if they've ever cruised Carnival their response is usually "No, but my brother's bosses, neighbours friend did and they said...." or "I've heard....".

And I've had coworkers ask me about cruising and say, "oh, but you'd never sail Carnival, right? They're so awful!" And I happily tell them that I have sailed Carnival and enjoy sailing Carnival and would do so in a heartbeat. When I ask about their bad experience with Carnival, it's often, "oh I haven't sailed Carnival, but you know.... everyone knows they are crap....".

Or they form their opinion based on what they see on the news.

I am not a "cheerleader" or whatever people call them but I do enjoy sailing with Carnival and maybe I just have more realistic expectations of cruising after 20+ years on Coast Guard and Navy ships. It would take more than hard butter to ruin a cruise for me;).

I think what we have is a combination of people basing opinions on hearsay and others with unrealistic expectations maybe exaggerating on here a little bit.

Before Cruise Critic, I read and posted on the message board rec.travel.cruises. All the cruisers posted there, they didn't have individual boards for each brand, the boards were un-moderated, and the bashing was bloody and brutal. Cruise critic bashing is tame in comparison.

Yesterday a co-worker told me he'd be off work next week, they were going to Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Curacao, and Aruba. He almost apologized when I asked which ship: Carnival Freedom. You could see him visibly relax when I told him we've sailed Carnival 17 times and have never had a bad cruise with them.

I told him some of the things to look for on board, that you'll see every body type imaginable, that you don't have to dress to the nines, great comedians, movies under the stars, no need to go to sit down dinners but the Steak House was worth every penny. Fitness centers on par with what he's used to at home, free room service, and a younger, lively crowd of cruisers.

When he comes back, I'm expecting a full report. I know he'll have a good time, but I also know that he'll be hesitant to tell anyone which cruise line due to Carnival's reputation. It's really a shame that so many bad comments and opinions can taint a person's vacation.

There are just a lot of miserable people out there with too much time on their hands I think. We've only cruised Carnival but I honestly think we could have a good time in a row boat. We are just happy to be on vacation and going somewhere. I wouldn't call it low expectations we just are happy generally.

Edited by JustCruiseMe

So sorry after 14 cruises NO COMPLAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if this is appropriate but I am getting so fed up with Carnival bashing. We have sailed Carnival 5 times although not in the past 5 years. We have always enjoyed our cruises and felt they were the best bargains at sea.

I will be the first one to admit that we were quite hesitant to sail Carnival the first time because of the undeserved reputation. And, what amazes me is that most of the people who criticize Carnival have never sailed her. I read a thread regarding the "Carnivalization of Celebrity" regarding blasting of music on Celebrity which I never experienced on Carnival.

Every line has problems and each ship within a line is a different experience. Our only repeat ship was on the Liberty and the two sailings were totally different. What I like about Carnival is the liveliness of the ship, the food which is often berated, the comfort of the cabins, and the non-stop entertainment. Carnival has a great product at a great price.

Our tastes have changed over the years. We no longer have traveling children who need the high level of activity. And, not to sound like a snob, we have gravitated to smaller, relaxing and more upscale ships. With that being said, there is no reason to bash Carnival. It hurt me deeply to hear about the unfortunate events that occurred with her ships over the past few years. Nothing is perfect and I believe that these events were great learning experiences, not only for Carnival but for the whole cruise industry which is adopting many of their changes. I am sure I will be back some day but, for now, I will only look back at the fond memories I had with Carnival.

I agree its a bit out of hand, and I actually like rccl a lot better. The customer service for carnival needs ALOT of work, but the stuff about their ships needs to stop. Its funny and it applies everywhere like the work place too. People always seem to see the one bad thing in 400 cruises, instead of the fun and perfection in the other 399 cruises.(just throwing random numbers, but you get my point)

Edited by lemansz20

I would also say that Carnival isn't always the cheapest. We have a family of 5, and have booked a 7 day eastern Caribbean on RCI Freedom OTS. We ended up booking a Family Promenade cabin for all of us, at about 320 sq.ft., for about $3600.00. To book the same SIZE cabin on Carnival (mind you the RCI cabin has a tub/shower, walk in closet, bunks for 2, king bed for 2, and sleeper sofa for 2), I would have had to book a suite, at a cost of over $5,200. Granted I would have had suite perks and a balcony, but for that much extra, we couldn't justify it.

I have read hundreds of reviews on these boards and take most with a grain of salt. My father always had a saying..."Opinions are like XXXholes - everybody has one and it usually stinks." Bottom line is that while one person may like something, it may not be right for you or me. Most of the opinions on CC are very subjective. Without having actual facts, it is difficult to make a truly informed decision. I have read the reviews here of super rude passengers, the puking drunks staggering all over the ship, the inedible MDR food, etc. Have I seen this? No. Does it happen? Sure. Many of the incidents I see here have little to no impact on my enjoyment. I don't care what other people wear to the dining room, as long as they are dressed in a basic acceptable manner. CHOGS don't bother me as I don't intend to lay in the sun baking for hours. MDR food doesn't bother me. No, it's not the best cuisine, but I lower my expectations. I don't expect five star service or food quality in a monstrous dining room trying to feed 2000 people at one time. Do I think food quality in my opinion has decreased from what it used to be? I would say a bit, yes. However, from the time I took my first cruise, the AVERAGE sized cruise ship is 2.5-3 times larger than back when, carrying 3 times the passengers. Things will change over the years, and cutbacks will be made. I'm going to try RCI this time around (April 2015), but we very seriously considered booking Carnival this time just for what we could save overall (though we would have 5 pax in a 185 sq.ft. cabin), but we're taking a chance here.

I have nothing bad to say about Carnival. People's expectations and opinions are so varied that the hatred comments are very difficult to believe.

Carnival, RCI, NCL, Princess, HAL?

Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan, Dodge?

WalMart, Target, K-Mart, ShopKo?

McDonalds, BK, Wendy's, Chick-fil-A?

It's all a matter of what you're expectations are and what is acceptable to you. I know people who love McDonald's. You couldn't pay me to eat there. I prefer WalMart or Target. Won't catch me in a K-Mart. Why? I don't know - it's just me. We're all different. What suits me won't necessarily suit another. So, I don't understand all of the bashing either.

Vacation is what you make of it. Yes there are unfortunate incidents which cause one person to have a totally different opinion and experience than possibly the person in the room next to them in the same cruise. I have been on 2 cruises (9 night on Caribbean Princess and 7 night on Oasis of the Seas) I had very different but equally amazing experiences on both.

Have I run into people that could have been more courteous? Of course! Have I had kids spill my $10 drink all over me? Yes I did lol. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and unfortunate things happen. But for me, life is too short to fret the small things and time away from work is too far and few between to spend it complaining about a bartender who got snippy(just an example). I am booked on the Carnival Valor on May, 18th, my first carnival cruise And I, for one, am not worried one bit that I will not have one hell of a vacation. Also, I plan on writing a review when I get back so stay tuned!

Happy Cruising everyone! If anyone is on the Valor with me in May, message me!

We are sailing the same day, but on different ship. This Carnival die-heart would buy you a drink. We sail Carnival because it allows us to take family vacations which is great! We hang together and make our own fun. I may try another line one day but as long as my family want to cruise, it will be Carnival.

Sorry but this is getting way out of hand Some of us like Carnival, some don't, and that's all fine. We can all manage to get along. I don't really think it's fair to bash any particular cruise line. I've heard both sides of the story about CCL, RCI, NCL, Princess, etc. my worst cruise was on Princess. Would I cruise with them again? Sure, just not on a 10 day as I don't fit into that demographic. We don't all have to agree here, but we don't need to argue either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A lot of cheerleading for someone who hasn't sailed Carnival in 5 years. Many changes since you last sailed.

Thanks for saying it. 2007 was an outstanding cruise, 2011 was a great cruise. 2012 was good..2013 was a bad experience.

For the PPs that have already said it, we are entitled to reviewing our experiences, good or bad. I give glowing remarks to those that earn it, and if those who didn't earn a bad mark, than maybe its more of a trend of critiques rather than just bashing. (Like the person who had never even been on any cruise, definitely bashing. Or those who haven't personally sailed CCL, thats bashing. But if we have? And we are disappointed? Not bashing, not to me.)

My good thoughts: Great entertainment crew on Dream, my 'bashing' thoughts: worst service staff I have ever experienced, enough that I was happy to get off the ship and go home, and I didn't think I'd be cruising anymore even as gold VFIP. (That was partially true, I cruise other cruise lines now.)

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

Sorry but this is getting way out of hand Some of us like Carnival, some don't, and that's all fine. We can all manage to get along. I don't really think it's fair to bash any particular cruise line. I've heard both sides of the story about CCL, RCI, NCL, Princess, etc. my worst cruise was on Princess. Would I cruise with them again? Sure, just not on a 10 day as I don't fit into that demographic. We don't all have to agree here, but we don't need to argue either.

It sums up these boards. The only ones that have large numbers of views are negative subjects.

• 5 weeks later...

I primarily cruise with NCL (as you can tell in my signature) and took my first Carnival cruise last year on the Dream (after MANY postings not to and being told how much I was going to hate it, how much lower class it is, and then I had to deal with all of the "hope you don't get stranded at sea" comments).

I absolutely LOVED the Dream and we had a blast. One of the best times ever. I'm so glad that I NEVER follow someones negative remarks and like to form my own opinion. Every time I book a cruise, I always come to Carnival to see if they have the ship I want to sail on going to where I want at the available dates I want. I would book Carnival again in a heartbeat (and plan to do so!)

Even though I mainly cruise with NCL, it really ticks me off whenever I see all this negatively toward Carnival as well. Just the other day a friend on facebook had posted something about a cruise ship (and something that had gone wrong and they were floating out in sea not being able to dock) and it had a picture of a Carnival ship on it with a link...yes, I followed the link as I rolled my eyes thinking..."here we go again bashing Carnival", only to find out IT WASN'T EVEN A CARNIVAL SHIP that this happened to. Really? But they felt the need to post a picture of a Carnival ship. :mad:

I just don't listen to what people negative people have to say, never have, never will. :) I form my own opinions based on my own experiences. My experience with Carnival is A+

I primarily cruise with NCL (as you can tell in my signature) and took my first Carnival cruise last year on the Dream (after MANY postings not to and being told how much I was going to hate it, how much lower class it is, and then I had to deal with all of the "hope you don't get stranded at sea" comments).

I absolutely LOVED the Dream and we had a blast. One of the best times ever. I'm so glad that I NEVER follow someones negative remarks and like to form my own opinion. Every time I book a cruise, I always come to Carnival to see if they have the ship I want to sail on going to where I want at the available dates I want. I would book Carnival again in a heartbeat (and plan to do so!)

Even though I mainly cruise with NCL, it really ticks me off whenever I see all this negatively toward Carnival as well. Just the other day a friend on facebook had posted something about a cruise ship (and something that had gone wrong and they were floating out in sea not being able to dock) and it had a picture of a Carnival ship on it with a link...yes, I followed the link as I rolled my eyes thinking..."here we go again bashing Carnival", only to find out IT WASN'T EVEN A CARNIVAL SHIP that this happened to. Really? But they felt the need to post a picture of a Carnival ship. :mad:

I just don't listen to what people negative people have to say, never have, never will. :) I form my own opinions based on my own experiences. My experience with Carnival is A+

The media probably has a folder full of licensed, stock photos. If the photos are pricey to buy a license for, it's unlikely that they will buy more than one or two of a cruise ship. So, news erupts, they grab a photo and post the story. It's not likely that they are involved in a conspiracy against Carnival.

Sailing for over 20 years I pick where I want to go then look for ships. I look for perks like ports, liquor accumulation and adjoining balconies that can be opened up to party large. Two years ago I had to be in Puerto Rico, leave on a Sunday because of a race and wallah the Valor! Had such a blast just booked it again for the third year in a row. Like I said I want what I want when I want it. The cruise having everything I wanted is just a fabulous bonus.

We've only cruised Carnival but I honestly think we could have a good time in a row boat. We are just happy to be on vacation and going somewhere. I wouldn't call it low expectations we just are happy generally.

I agree with you. I'm just happy to be cruising. We are Princess people (sounds kind of silly, doesn't it) but we have been on Carnival more than once. The two lines are different, some better at one thing, and vice versa. I prefer Carnival for Mexico and Princess for Alaska. We aren't surrounded by drunken youth on one ship and doddering old coots on another. You see a good mix of people. I try not to buy into the stereotypes.

When we choose to cruise, we need to consider both of our jobs and time constraints. Therefore we usually pick a time frame first, then look for something that fits within that time frame. We are people who do not sail for the ports, we sail just to be on a ship, so it does not matter to us which ship it is. Each time it has been Carnival that has offered the best deal, so it is what we have sailed. We are not opposed to another line, but we just have not found a better deal for the time frame, cabin type, cabin location combo we desire. I'm sure some day it will happen. I am sure there are better deals out there on other lines, but they just have not crossed our path yet.

We have enjoyed every cruise we have been on. The lido is loud, so we just don't hang out there. We have had no problem with the food, service, or cabins. On our Hawaii cruise we traveled with my Mom and sister. My Mom was not happy with a lot of the food choices in the MDR, however the rest of us had no problems. (For the record, my mom has traveled many lines, and has stated she likes Carnival food best) It's a personal choice. What works for some, does not work for all. I mostly try to ignore the bashing, but it's the age of the internet where people remove the filters on their mouths, and love to watch the resulting outcome. :(

I think that when someone is bashing a product that they have no personal experience with but they perceive it to be inferior, they are doing it just to make themselves feel superior. If that makes sense. I guess what I am saying is it speaks more to the character and personality of the basher. Some need to find ways of boosting there hollow self esteem.

This!! Agreed, you find it everywhere, from the clothes you wear to the car you drive, to the neighborhood you live in

Edited by jgr8fulbear

Always take others' personal opinions with a grain of salt, that's what they are -- someone's personal opinion.

We've had good and bad sailings with every cruise line we've been on, but I wouldn't bash any of them and we still sail on all of them; we happen to prefer Carnival, and we've had some bad service on Carnival, but that happens -- everywhere. Even our favorite restaurant at home is not always consistent.

Generally speaking Carnival isnt heard of in the UK at all (RCL, PandO and Princess seem to get 90% of the market) even the Triumph disaster got the tiniest bit of news coverage.

When I tell people I cruise, and that its with Carnival they often say 'How lovely, sounds very grand' etc etc. I also get 'ooo are they a new line? My aunt sails with Pand O' etc.

All of the Brits we spoke to on board the Legend in Europe last year adored Carnival and wished they were in Europe again. Just shows how a reputation can change peoples view points.

For the record I would sail on any cruise line. Bit worried about HAL/Seabourne/Crystal being an old folks home floating but thats probably my own prejudice towards other lines that may not be true.

I have my eye on NCL for a European cruise in 2015.

IMHO, although there's the occasional inappropriate comment, I see a lot more well founded criticism, (sometimes brutally honest) than bashing.

We are all different. For some, Carnival is the perfect cruise line. For others, it's a nightmare. Then there's the rest of us, who love some things about Carnival and dislike (sometimes hate) others.

Some of my posts may sound like "bashing". I'll be the first one to tell you how much I dislike the DJ by the pool, how I think that fried chicken and meatloaf at the MDR is a new low, and how loyalty program cutbacks are an insult to those of us who've been cruising on Carnival for 20 years. But I will also tell you that Carnival's Steakhouses are the best specialty restaurants at sea, that I'm grateful for the low prices and convenient ports of departures, and that the Comfort Bed System is awesome.

Carnival is a business. I don't love them so I don't take offense when someone takes a stab at them here or on another board. Comments like the "Carnivalization" of Celebrity may sting some Carnival lovers, but it's one of those brutally honest observations that have more merit than some may want to realize.

Well said ..:) It seems every two weeks or so someone is starting a thread on the Carnival board about "Carnival bashing. The last was headed, "Why so much hate against Carnival.

I never see these threads on any other board.

Edited by janetz

I don't think that opinions are equal to bashing. I have some very strong opinions about Carnival that are not all of the positive type but we still cruise Carnival and will still continue to have and form new opinions. What I read on these boards sound like opinions to me And opinions are like (well, you know) everyone has one. Some people just get upset when they don't agree with another persons opinion.

I have to say, I wouldn't mind trying another cruiseline and look forward to it one day. I peak in at the royal board on here from time to time. Lots of Carnival insults and bashing. I feel like if I ever did cruise with them, I would have to keep it to myself that I had sailed all Carnival before. Good thing is that I know several folks personally who love Royal but are not so down on Carnival. It's a preference and not superiority. I would hope that's more representative of the majority.

As far as the Carnival bashing, it isn't as bad on some other sites as it is here. Don't really get it. Your discussing vacations. Why be so serious? Many posters are objectively critical. But others are just rude and hateful. I've gleaned alot of useful information here nonetheless. But for sure I'm learning that you can get much of the same information on other sites without having to weed through the volume of negativity.

I was not ashamed at all to tell people on my first RCCL cruise that I liked CCL better. I am glad we went to Alaska, but I do feel you get more with Carnival. Going to try them a second time to Bermuda, if I have the same experiences, i.e lack of activities, lack of food being available at times (other than room service) I will think long and hard about RRCL ever again.