A Reason To Keep Passports In Your Safe

PTMary

I'm sitting here in disbelief. Now you are using an example that has nothing to do with visiting ports during a cruise to support your opinions. I thought you wanted us to stay focused only on cruising? At least that is what you told us to do in your post #93:

What I said was I feel safe and confident carrying my passport with me in many places - including cruise ports - perhaps because I customarily have to carry it with me to visit the USA on day trips.

Two people then jumped in and began arguing that it's not necessary to carry a passport in the USA (or maybe it is).

I didn't change the subject; they did.

What I said was I feel safe and confident carrying my passport with me in many places - including cruise ports - perhaps because I customarily have to carry it with me to visit the USA on day trips.

Two people then jumped in and began arguing that it's not necessary to carry a passport in the USA (or maybe it is).

I didn't change the subject; they did.

Actually, it was you that changed the subject in post #117:

"My perspective may somewhat different from others' here. I travel to the US from Canada for cross-border shopping trips several times a year. I can't get into the USA without my actual passport - a photocopy would not suffice. Once inside the US for a day or weekend of shopping at many stores, I have to keep my passport safe so I can get back into Canada. So it's second nature for me to carry my passport and safeguard it when in another country. Perhaps that's why it's hard for me to understand why people are afraid to keep their passports with them. I HAVE to do it if I want to go to the US, and so I've learned how. Doesn't seem that hard to me."

Edited by boogs

Actually, it was you that changed the subject in post #117:

"My perspective may somewhat different from others' here. I travel to the US from Canada for cross-border shopping trips several times a year. I can't get into the USA without my actual passport - a photocopy would not suffice. Once inside the US for a day or weekend of shopping at many stores, I have to keep my passport safe so I can get back into Canada. So it's second nature for me to carry my passport and safeguard it when in another country. Perhaps that's why it's hard for me to understand why people are afraid to keep their passports with them. I HAVE to do it if I want to go to the US, and so I've learned how. Doesn't seem that hard to me."

You are not correct. My comment was directly related to several that preceded it, where people remarked that carrying a passport (or not) was likely a matter of personal preference and "comfort level."

This discussion has now degenerated to personal attacks and efforts to pick out fallacies in logic. It's no longer about exploring the question of whether it's safe or advisable to carry a passport while ashore in a foreign country. The mods should have closed it long ago.

You are not correct. My comment was directly related to several that preceded it, where people remarked that carrying a passport (or not) was likely a matter of personal preference and "comfort level."

This discussion has now degenerated to personal attacks and efforts to pick out fallacies in logic. It's no longer about exploring the question of whether it's safe or advisable to carry a passport while ashore in a foreign country. The mods should have closed it long ago.

Yes, agree with this. There has been way too much dubious information posted here that insists passports are safer in our possession than in our safes. This thread would have been much more helpful without such nonsense.

Yes, agree with this. There has been way too much dubious information posted here that insists passports are safer in our possession than in our safes. This thread would have been much more helpful without such nonsense.

Difficult to respond to that sort of post which, with respect, manages to denigrate those who disagree with us as bearers of "dubious information", yet at the same time agrees that the thread has degenerated into personal attacks.

I don't necessarily agree that there's any reason why mods should close the thread, but it has been done to death & most of the points raised have gone full circle and then some.

Those who had an open mind have now come down on one side or the other, and those of us firmly on either side are sticking to our guns.

So perhaps it's time to let it sink to the bottom of the page?

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

It is my understanding that US law requires all non-immigrant visitors to have their documentation in their possession at all times and that is my understanding coming from discussions with Border Patrol Agents.

Also, even resident aliens (green card holders) are required to carry their green card with them at all times in the US. It's unlikely it will ever be an issue, but that is the law. It's one of the reasons I decided to become a US citizen, to not need to carry it with me at all times.

Difficult to respond to that sort of post which, with respect, manages to denigrate those who disagree with us as bearers of "dubious information", yet at the same time agrees that the thread has degenerated into personal attacks.

I don't necessarily agree that there's any reason why mods should close the thread, but it has been done to death & most of the points raised have gone full circle and then some.

Those who had an open mind have now come down on one side or the other, and those of us firmly on either side are sticking to our guns.

So perhaps it's time to let it sink to the bottom of the page?

JB :)

I unfortunately started this thread. I now wish I never had. Even though I am relatively new here on Cruise Critic, I thought it would be useful to post information I thought would be interesting and helpful. Instead it has turned into a "you are wrong" contest between both sides of the debate. I don't appreciate having my motive called into question by the "keep it with you" group. That was totally unnecessary as I was only trying to offer what I thought were valid reasons to keep your passports safe. Instead, some of those "bearers of dubious information" took the topic and made it confrontational, insulting, and downright unpleasant at times. So, thanks a lot for slapping me in the face - and I blame just one side of the debate for that, especially one specific poster. :mad:

So much for trying to participate in what should be an adult conversation. I'll think long and hard before offering up my thoughts again on these threads, all because some people are much too intolerant here. What a waste of time! :mad:

Edited by PTMary

I unfortunately started this thread. I now wish I never had. Even though I am relatively new here on Cruise Critic, I thought it would be useful to post information I thought would be interesting and helpful. Instead it has turned into a "you are wrong" contest between both sides of the debate. I don't appreciate having my motive called into question by the "keep it with you" group. That was totally unnecessary as I was only trying to offer what I thought were valid reasons to keep your passports safe. Instead, some of those "bearers of dubious information" took the topic and made it confrontational, insulting, and downright unpleasant at times. So, thanks a lot for slapping me in the face - and I blame just one side of the debate for that, especially one specific poster. :mad:

So much for trying to participate in what should be an adult conversation. I'll think long and hard before offering up my thoughts again on these threads, all because some people are much too intolerant here. What a waste of time! :mad:

I am trying to figure out why you are upset. YOU said you would leave your passport in the ship or hotel safe. MOST people agreed with you. There was one person who repeatedly stated he would carry his passport ALL THE TIME and came up with all kinds of info to justify his opinion. Another one was going to take his passport with him in Victoria, BC (I thought that was bizarre-he had already passed through immigration before he got to Victoria, BC-why take your passport). But the majority of people all believe as you do-LEAVE IT IN THE SAFE. No one was slapping you in the face. It was those that came up with very weird reasons to carry their passports with them all the time.

I am currently working in Afghanistan. Believe me, the US Military nor the US State Dept does not want anyone carrying their US passports around. Too much chance of them being stolen or lost in a country that has a large percentage of terrorists living in it. So if it is good enough for the US Military and US State Dept to take my passport, give me a copy and lock my passport in THEIR safe (one of the most heavily guarded bldgs at Bagram), it sure makes sense to leave your passport in the ship or hotel safe and NOT drag it around with you.

I am trying to figure out why you are upset. YOU said you would leave your passport in the ship or hotel safe. MOST people agreed with you. There was one person who repeatedly stated he would carry his passport ALL THE TIME and came up with all kinds of info to justify his opinion. Another one was going to take his passport with him in Victoria, BC (I thought that was bizarre-he had already passed through immigration before he got to Victoria, BC-why take your passport). But the majority of people all believe as you do-LEAVE IT IN THE SAFE. No one was slapping you in the face. It was those that came up with very weird reasons to carry their passports with them all the time.

A couple of people criticized the OP for started a thread about the stolen passports used aboard that missing Malaysia jet arguing that it had "nothing to do with cruising", implying that there was no connection, which of course there was due to the stolen passport issue. Why they had to complain about the OP's reason is beyond me. She was only offering cautionary information.

Edited by boogs

One thing we find interesting about this topic (whenever it comes up) is when we mention that DW and I often spend time at various beaches around the world, do a lot of ocean (and pool) swimming, snorkeling and even some SCUBA! So for those that "always" carry their Passports we are wondering where you carry it when you are 40 feet below the surface of the ocean? And I would add that we already own a waterproof fanny pack (intended for carrying valuables in the water) but it has not proven 100% effective...due to human error in getting the darn thing properly sealed. Once you go down more then a few feet deep, even waterproof containers, have a tendency to leak due to the increased water pressure. The US Department of State requires the replacement of water-damaged Passports and one must pay the entire cost of a new Passport to get the replacement.

So my "Passport carrying friends" we are waiting for your solution :)

Hank

You launched an interesting topic and you have no control over the rest.... Try not to let it upset you.

There's been some good discussion and some false claims and some downright silly discussion. But that's the nature of the internet.

A couple of people criticized the OP for started a thread about the stolen passports used aboard that missing Malaysia jet arguing that it had "nothing to do with cruising", implying that there was no connection, which of course there was due to the stolen passport issue. Why they had to complain about the OP's reason is beyond me. She was only offering cautionary information.

I guess I didn't take it that way. Stolen passports are stolen passports whether they are used on an airplane, to get terrorists across the US border, to facilitate movement of criminals, spies and covert operatives, to help people escape countries where they are being persecuted (I bet there are a lot of North Koreans who would love to latch onto a stolen passport to get themselves out of the country) or for many, many other reasons. Is it right?

Some of the reasons why someone would use a stolen passport I can justify. But most stolen passports are used by terrorists and criminals primarily wanting access to the US, Canada and the EU. And how they get stolen, where they get stolen or where they are used shouldn't matter one little bit. They are still stolen, out of the original owners possession and it would just eliminate a lot of stolen/lost passports and make us all safer if people would just not drag them around with them if they have access to a hotel front desk safe, a hotel room safe or a ship safe.

I even left mine in Vietnam in the care of Citi bank (I have a business account at Citi) when I went up the Mekong on a real freight transporting boat. I knew there was a possibility I might have to "swim for my life" (lots of boats sink in Vietnam) and figured the laminated color copies and state ID plus some Vietnamese and US cash would just have to do. My soaking wet passport wouldn't have done me anymore good than what I had in double bagged ziplocks. And I still would have had to get a new passport to even get out of the country. Thank goodness, it was an absolutely fascinating trip with a family from Can Tho to Chau Doc. Spent two nights in a fancy hotel in Chau Doc, then took the fast boat back to Saigon. Once on a Vietnam freighter was enough.

I have also enrolled in the State Department STEP program. This program will assist you in cases of emergency while overseas including getting a passport replacement.

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...h/go/step.html

Shak

Thanks for this useful link! It may be the one 'gold nugget' in all the verbage on this thread!:)

Just be prepared to be INNUNDATED with more crap than you will even have time to read or use. I love the weather reports. How accurate is ANY weather report worldwide? I signed up for the Embassy thing the first time I went to the "war zone" (Iraq). The first thing I got was warning after warning that I shouldn't be going to Iraq. I was ROFLMAO. I was going to work as a US GOVERNMENT CONTRACTOR. I finally emailed and told them I would most likely get plenty of info from the US Military and thanks but no thanks. If the info helps you, great. But with a copy of your passport and one other piece of ID, you can walk into any US Embassy or Consulate and they will help you get a replacement.

The only time I can think of that might help is during a natural disaster where they might have a clue where to look for you. But that is also what all the high tech communication methods we have available to us most anyplace in the world so you can let those back home that actually give a d*mn where you are and THEY can contact the State Dept in the US for help where every you are. JMHO

I guess I didn't take it that way. Stolen passports are stolen passports whether they are used on an airplane, to get terrorists across the US border, to facilitate movement of criminals, spies and covert operatives, to help people escape countries where they are being persecuted (I bet there are a lot of North Koreans who would love to latch onto a stolen passport to get themselves out of the country) or for many, many other reasons. Is it right?

I think you and the OP are in agreement here. You both see stolen passports are a problem, no matter how they are used, and both advocate protecting them by leaving them in your safe unless required to carry them. And I agree with both of you.

Unfortunately, some people on this thread seemed to think the use of a stolen passport on that Malaysia flight should not be discussed here unless it was stolen from a cruise passenger. They obviously completely missed the point of the OP's post.

Edited by boogs

We have long advocated (and even posted) as simple philosophy. One should view a valid Passport as something similar to $10,000 in cash. So when you carry that document you should treat it the same way you would treat carrying $10,000 cash. We are not aware of anyone who routinely carries that much cash as most people would say that is just crazy. Well, there you go :)

Hank

We have long advocated (and even posted) as simple philosophy. One should view a valid Passport as something similar to $10,000 in cash. So when you carry that document you should treat it the same way you would treat carrying $10,000 cash. We are not aware of anyone who routinely carries that much cash as most people would say that is just crazy. Well, there you go :)

Hank

Great analogy.

I have also enrolled in the State Department STEP program. This program will assist you in cases of emergency while overseas including getting a passport replacement.

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...h/go/step.html

Shak

Thanks for this useful link! It may be the one 'gold nugget' in all the verbage on this thread!:)

Thanks for the kind words. If you have signed up for STEP there are a couple of ways to use it. You can put your trip in it but this program is not really set up to monitor cruises and you will have to fudge the address of the port. You can like I do mostly use it for my passport information to be registered with them as well as my emergency contact. Hopefully I will never have to find an Embassy or Consulate but I believe it is good to be prepared.

Also you can sign up to receive email for alerts for a country but since I don't I only occasionally get an email from them.

If you have a smart phone you can get The State Department app Smart Traveler. With this app you can find Embassy or Consulates around the world as well as any travel alerts or warnings.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/rls/dos/165020.htm

Shak

Some of the reasons why someone would use a stolen passport I can justify. But most stolen passports are used by terrorists and criminals primarily wanting access to the US, Canada and the EU. And how they get stolen, where they get stolen or where they are used shouldn't matter one little bit. They are still stolen, out of the original owners possession and it would just eliminate a lot of stolen/lost passports and make us all safer if people would just not drag them around with them if they have access to a hotel front desk safe, a hotel room safe or a ship safe.

I even left mine in Vietnam in the care of Citi bank (I have a business account at Citi) when I went up the Mekong on a real freight transporting boat. I knew there was a possibility I might have to "swim for my life" (lots of boats sink in Vietnam) and figured the laminated color copies and state ID plus some Vietnamese and US cash would just have to do. My soaking wet passport wouldn't have done me anymore good than what I had in double bagged ziplocks. And I still would have had to get a new passport to even get out of the country. Thank goodness, it was an absolutely fascinating trip with a family from Can Tho to Chau Doc. Spent two nights in a fancy hotel in Chau Doc, then took the fast boat back to Saigon. Once on a Vietnam freighter was enough.

Wow..serious adventure....Sarah

Thanks for the kind words. If you have signed up for STEP there are a couple of ways to use it. You can put your trip in it but this program is not really set up to monitor cruises and you will have to fudge the address of the port. You can like I do mostly use it for my passport information to be registered with them as well as my emergency contact. Hopefully I will never have to find an Embassy or Consulate but I believe it is good to be prepared.

Also you can sign up to receive email for alerts for a country but since I don't I only occasionally get an email from them.

If you have a smart phone you can get The State Department app Smart Traveler. With this app you can find Embassy or Consulates around the world as well as any travel alerts or warnings.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/rls/dos/165020.htm

Shak

Thanks so much...one just gets out of the loop and a million things for safety and ease are great to learn herein far away from serious travel years..,this help bears several thank yous.

Edited by sjn911

In canada, the Health Card is controlled by the provincial health departments. And because of fraud, they make getting one (or its replacement) quite difficult.

It is true that the health cards are controlled by the provincial health departments, but I have never had any difficulty getting a replacement card. Just last week my oldest son couldn't find his. I went down to the MCP building, filled out a form, and had a replacement card all in under twenty minutes. I don't think it would be that easy to replace my passport, but I wouldn't know for sure because I've never had to have one replaced.

Your identification only indicates you are from "Canada," so we are possibly comparing apples and oranges, as we may be from different provinces. And as I said, the provinces administer their own health care details.

Here in Ontario, if you lose or can't find your card, it's a problem. You have to go in person to a centre that can issue health cards. You have to produce 2 identifications that satisfy them (and much to my surprise, a passport would not suffice). A Driver's License would be good - but what if you are not a licensed driver? Birth Certificate, okay. Then what? Think about it.

I didn't lose my health card, it became out of date. No one notified me it needed to be renewed, it just lapsed. I found out by being refused treatment at my doctor's office and having to pay cash (which I fortunately had enough of to pay with). I then had to drive downtown, pay $12.00 to park, and produce my documentation to get my card renewed. My lapsed card was not enough - I also had to produce other documentation (and again, a passport was not acceptable). I was able to come up with a birth certificate and a driver's license, and that got me a temporary printout on a piece of paper. Not a real card, that came days later in the mail. I'm glad your province is so forgiving. Mine, not so much.

My daughter lost her passport. Replacing it was not a hassle like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I never leave my passport anywhere except in my small purse. I never have gone anywhere without it. my husband puts in in our safe. he doesn't carry a purse, so that makes sense to me. I can see putting it in the safe in the cabin for him. Me? It will be in my very small purse.