Panama Canal

I fancy doing the Panama Canal and wondered if anyone could guide me as to the best route to take and ship. I would like to go at the beginning of February next year fir my birthday but would like advice as to whether this is a suitable time of the year to do it. Any advice would be welcome.

You could start in Florida & end in California or the other way around

Spend a few days at either end of the cruise

Feb is fine it will be warm to HOT

Enjoy

Lyn

When doing research on a Panama Canal cruise, it was recommended to go Jan to Mar since this was the dry season. Also you should end your cruise of the coast closer to where you live so your flight home isn't so long ( or vice versa depends on what you prefer). We would usually fly out a day prior to the embarkation, so a long flight at the beginning of the cruise isn't too bad for us.

Look at the itineraries. Some cruises have 3-4 straight sea days on the Mexican coast, personally that is too long for me. Others have many port days on the Mexican coast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I fancy doing the Panama Canal and wondered if anyone could guide me as to the best route to take and ship. I would like to go at the beginning of February next year fir my birthday but would like advice as to whether this is a suitable time of the year to do it. Any advice would be welcome.

Here is the Panama Canal forum thread on CC, you can read and ask questions to get an idea of what is available.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89

We are going on a Panama Canal cruise in about 3 weeks. :)

I fancy doing the Panama Canal and wondered if anyone could guide me as to the best route to take and ship. I would like to go at the beginning of February next year for my birthday but would like advice as to whether this is a suitable time of the year to do it. Any advice would be welcome.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

February is a great time of year to take a Panama Canal cruise! It's the dry season.

Do consider taking a FULL transit!

LuLu

~~~~

We have been told that the west to east transit is more picturesque because you pass under the Bridge of the Americas (1962) and the newer Centennial Bridge (2004) in the morning soon after entering the canal from the Pacific. Plus, you pass through Gaillard cut soon after exiting the locks on the Pacific side. Your excitement will be highest when you first enter the canal, and when entering from the Pacific side, you see more of the interesting sights earlier in the transit.

FYI: A third bridge, yet unnamed, will be on the Atlantic side. It is currently under construction about three km north of Gatun Locks. It will look similar to the Centennial Bridge, but be longer. A fourth bridge, for rail traffic only, is planned near the Bridge of the Americas.

Edited by boogs

Having been through the Canal 3 times, let me comment on some of the "we heard" things here.

February is a good time to go. It will be warm and humid. As mentioned by others, there is a "season" for cruising the Canal- it runs late September to early May. The first few months are considered the "wet season", after January it is the dry season. But the Canal is in a tropical rain forest/jungle, and it depends on rain heavily for it's operation. And it can rain there a lot.

Given the "season" situation, the largest number of ships go thru in September/October and April/May, as cruise lines reposition their ships to and from Alaska, to and from the Caribbean. The other months are less frequently cruised, but there are a few ships that have regular Florida-California (or vice versa) routes. I believe Holland America has the largest number of ships using the Canal, but that may not be totally accurate.

Whether you go from Caribbean to Pacific, or Pacific to Caribbean (I won't say east-west or west-east, because that is not correct, and would confuse things) is really a matter of personal choice. As you are flying from Europe, I am sure you can go non-stop to/from Miami and to/from LA or San Francisco, and it won't matter much. Time zones do work in your benefit going Caribbean to Pacific.

Going to the Panama Canal board mentioned by SPacificbound is an excellent idea.

Edited by CruiserBruce

February is a great time to go, but in Apr/May and Sept/Oct you would have greater choice with ships repositioning to Alaska. There is also the possibility of round trip to the same port, but that would be a partial transit, through the Atlantic gates to Gatun Lake then back out the same way.

Also recommend reading David McCullough's "Path Between the Seas" in the interim.

February is excellent. Can you do what is called "full transit" that is usually 14-15 days (vs. 7-10 days partial transit)

If you want to learn about the canal, see the locks, etc... I recommend going West to East: you see the most interesting locks on the Pacific side in the morning, when you are not tired of sightseeing, and you can take tours in Panama only going West to East.

On the canal days get up early to see the small boats' lights in the dark.

We have our "full transit" certificates proudly displayed - our cruise was with Royal Caribbean.

It's best to go East to West/Florida to California as that way you gain a hours sleep every few nights. Going the other way you lose a hour every few nights.

We sailed on the Coral Princess and did the Full Transit, it is so worth the extra money. Also the Coral is a great ship.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have done quite a few full Panama Canal cruises -- both directions. They are wonderful.

There are very few full transits the first part of February. You may want to check out Princess and Holland America.

Keep in mind that no matter when you do the cruise, the ship moves through the canal slowly and there is not much of a breeze on the ship. So it will be hot and humid. Don't stay outside for all those hours -- wear a hot -- put on sun screen.

IMO transiting the Canal is just as rewarding regardless of the direction you choose. The preferences expresses by the previous are all good points to consider, you just need to decide what will work into your plans the best.

In regards to books, of course David McCullough's is the book of record in many people's opinion, but there are a number of other reads that are great as well. A frequent poster on the Panama Canal board is Richard in Panama who has written a book Your Day in the Canal by Richard Detrich. There are several titles available, the first edition was Your Day in the Canal in a Northbound or Southbound edition. (Now we have just swerved into what Cruiser Bruce was trying to stay away from;)) There is a combined version available Cruising the Panama Canal- Centennial Edition and there will be another updated version out some time soon.

Another good read is Panama Fever, by Matthew Parker who also provides background for the PBS's The American Experience program on the Canal.

February is excellent. Can you do what is called "full transit" that is usually 14-15 days (vs. 7-10 days partial transit)

If you want to learn about the canal, see the locks, etc... I recommend going West to East: you see the most interesting locks on the Pacific side in the morning, when you are not tired of sightseeing, and you can take tours in Panama only going West to East.

On the canal days get up early to see the small boats' lights in the dark.

We have our "full transit" certificates proudly displayed - our cruise was with Royal Caribbean.

As far as the actual canal transit itself, I would not refer to that part as East to West or vice versa. In reality, a canal transit is really north to south or south to north. In the truest sense of the term, a west to east transit is actually from the Atlantic to the Pacific. I would always tell people to refer to a PC transit based on ocean to ocean - much less confusing that way!:)

As far as the actual canal transit itself, I would not refer to that part as East to West or vice versa. In reality, a canal transit is really north to south or south to north. In the truest sense of the term, a west to east transit is actually from the Atlantic to the Pacific. I would always tell people to refer to a PC transit based on ocean to ocean - much less confusing that way!:)

Here is a map that clearly shows what A2Mich is pointing out:

panama-canal-diagram.png

Edited by boogs

Here is a map that clearly shows what A2Mich is pointing out:

panama-canal-diagram.png

Thanks for the assist there Boogs! I didn't happen to have an accurate enough map to post. I know what people are referring to, as they naturally think that the Atlantic Ocean is East of the Pacific Ocean.....except where Panama makes its twist - that's where the confusion comes in and why canal pilots will refer to transits as Atlantic to Pacific or Pacific to Atlantic, as there can be confusion otherwise. I remember when I was in Panama, seeing the sun rise over the Pacific Ocean and set over the Atlantic - it was a bit strange for a while!

Another common misconception is that water is pumped into the locks. Water is fed by gravity only into the locks. Also there is no rubber seal on the lock gates-the gates seal rather well based on the water pressure pushing the gates together at the V point where they meet. Also the gates are hollow and float. The gates are lifted off of their pintle bearings and floated away for maintenance or repairs. The canal also generates its own electricity and is not dependent on nearby cities for power. The canal sells its unused electricity to neighboring areas.

I can't think of any more useless trivia right now.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Forums mobile app

I never thought to Google the canal itself - yes, it's North to South. And I didn't realize it! Oh, well, learn something new every day. :o

I'll rephrase: going from Pacific side to Atlantic side is the best, and I am glad other posters advised that, and we listened.