AQ Aqua Class and Blu on Reflection

Sun&Sand52

I apologize in advance for yet another question on AQ..... but I have to admit I am really confused - and ashamed to admit that I am not a newbie to AQ :o

Trying to decide on either a standard verandah (1C) or Aqua Class stateroom. On this particular sailing on the Reflection there is a $250 per person difference between the two. $500 is a nice savings between the two classes of cabins! I am really conflicted as to IF aqua class is really worth the price difference. Familiar with Blu as we went AQ on the Solstice and the Eclipse - but must admit our Solstice experience was way better than the Eclipse.

Now I am thinking of trying out AQ on the Reflection but am concerned with all the addition AQ staterooms that were added it will be more crowded in Blu than our previous experiences on the sister ships. DH and I are simply looking for rest, relaxation and some nice dinners. He doesn't really care one way or another for the Persian Gardens, so he probably won't use them. I would! I enjoy it - assuming it isn't crowded with people. We are not foodies, just plain 'ole folks with more simple (but good) food tastes. On previous sailings we have really enjoyed Blu for its slower, more laid back pace as opposed to the MDR. But not sure that will be the case on the Reflection with the increased pasengers on the ship in AQ.

I have heard that the Persian Gardens can be purchased for $20 per day ($140 for 7 nights) which I could do if I was in a standard balcony. Thereby still saving $360.... But maybe Blu is worth the extra cost???

Any thoughts on this conundrum?

I've read the complaints about overcrowding in Reflection because of the extra suites but have no personal experience. Just what I've read here.

If it was me, I'd probably book a standard verandah and watch for price drops. That's happened to us a few times where AQ has dropped to less than what we paid for a Concierge.

AQ is more than Blu and the Perain Gardens.

Extra cruise credits if interested.

Shower panel.

Foot rests on the balcony

Better amenities in the cabin

Some other extra perks even though a lot are nothing more than a lot of verbal fluff.

if you aren't interested in the Persain Gardens and Blu, and we found it on the Reflection to be more conjested than Blu on other ships take the balcony and do the ultimate dining package that costs $29/day pp. It allows you to have all meals in the alternate dining resturants. That would only cost $203 pp for 7 days and give a better dining experience, but you have to sign up on the very first day.

Personally we have always tried to sail in AQ but if we were to sail on the Reflection again we would opt for a cheaper category if the price differential was enough to entice us. $250 pp might do it and we would then opt for the ultimate dining package. That would save us $47 pp that would be used towards the upgrade from the classic to premium drink package giving us a fantastic dining and drinking experience.

This is my opinion and hope that it helps

Edited by miched

I have done Aqua twice, first on the Silhouette and then Reflection. We loved Aqua on the Silhouette which is why we booked it on Reflection. Did not love it on Reflection. For $500 I would say save the money and get a specialty restaurant pkg.

if you aren't interested in the Persain Gardens and Blu, and we found it on the Reflection to be more conjested than Blu on other ships take the balcony and do the ultimate dining package that costs $29/day pp. It allows you to have all meals in the alternate dining resturants. That would only cost $203 pp for 7 days and give a better dining experience, but you have to sign up on the very first day.

����

I have seen a couple of post here that Blu is more crowded. Were you on a recent Reflection sailing and found that to be the case? We usually are pretty early diners, so I was **hoping** that at around 6:00 Blu would not be crowded....

:confused: I wonder if it is just Reflection where it is more crowded or this is true with the Silhouette also??

That's a tough one as it is right about the price point I would switch. Sorry no help. Pros and cons for both but love Blu. For the price difference I could eat most meals in a specialty restaurant if I wanted. But, the foot stools are the decider for me. That's why we always try to go CC or AQ.

Never been on the Reflection so not sure if that makes a difference.

I have done Aqua twice, first on the Silhouette and then Reflection. We loved Aqua on the Silhouette which is why we booked it on Reflection. Did not love it on Reflection. For $500 I would say save the money and get a specialty restaurant pkg.

This is what I was afraid of..... If I might ask, what was it on Reflection in Aqua that you did not like???? What was the difference between Reflection and Silhouette? Supposed to be the same class of service, etc.... but apparently it must not be.....

We sailed Reflection in AQ last December. AFAIK the ship was full, but can't say for sure. We ate three dinners in Blu, the rest in specialties. On the 3 evenings we dined at Blu we just showed up and I don't recall ever having to wait more than a few minutes if at all. Hope that helps.

As an aside, we ate in Murano twice and were very pleased with it.

AQ is the best. We have done 3 cruises in AQ (Equinox, Solstice, Reflection). We thought Reflection was the best in everything. Blu was not crowded on any of the cruises. Go early!

Edited by spkinva

We have sailed Aqua class on the S-class ships. We were really worried about the increase in the number of passengers able to dine in Blu. Unfortunately, our concerns were realized. I would not do Aqua class on Reflection. Save the money and used it for other things. We just came off Silhouette and the difference was amazing.

We have not booked AQ, but sailed Reflection last Nov at 118% with friends that did, we sailed in a C2. Our next on Equinox will put us at 300+ so we booked a reg veranda. Is Blu worth it? To our friends it was, to us it was not worth the additional cost. That is the decision you gave to make.

ps: they said they did not feel crowded nor stuffed tween others nor rushed. Yes, more AQ pax but if you like Blu, they say it is worth it.

I have seen a couple of post here that Blu is more crowded. Were you on a recent Reflection sailing and found that to be the case? We usually are pretty early diners, so I was **hoping** that at around 6:00 Blu would not be crowded....

:confused: I wonder if it is just Reflection where it is more crowded or this is true with the Silhouette also??

We were on the reflection in March 2013. In Blu on the Reflection the tables were so close to each other that the waiter could not go between them. They would have to walk to the end of the row and then back down the other side or reach across the table to serve the person on the other side. It was not the best dining experience to have the waiters arm pit stuck in your face when dining as they reached across the table. It was not that we ever had to wait for a table. The issue is it is very conjested or crowded. They have cramed more diners In the same amount of area.

There was one extra table in each row along the windows to accomodate the extra passengers that were added to AQ. Plus there were other tables also added throughout the area.

It was the same when the photographer wanted to take your picture. You had to walk to the end of the row to get to the other side for the couple's photo in the dining room.

Things may have changed but that is the way it was. It was very noticable at the time because we completed a cruise the same day on another ship in AQ before boarding the Reflectiion.

Edited by miched

We're sailing Reflection in a couple of weeks and have sailed Aqua Class twice before on the Silhouette and Equinox. We absolutely loved Blu and were looking forward to another good experience on the Reflection. The crowds sound like a drag. . . . Some have mentioned dining early is a good bet. Is dining somewhat later -- say 7:45 or 8:00 -- a good time, or is that still the dinner rush? We don't like to eat late but sometimes it's all we can manage on these cruises, and I'd consider it if I didn't have to be elbow-to-elbow with fellow diners. Please advise.

There was definitely more space between tables on the Silhouette than on Reflection. On the Reflection, waiters either walked around all the tables of two because they could not squeeze between the tables of 2. In a rush, they would lean over and place the food across the tab appreciably expanding the number of square feet, that is that you get. The poor staff was overworked and tried their best. It was what we feared when we booked Reflection. We did note that after the second night, some passengers left for the MDR.

There was definitely more space between tables on the Silhouette than on Reflection. On the Reflection, waiters either walked around all the tables of two because they could not squeeze between the tables of 2. In a rush, they would lean over and place the food across the tab appreciably expanding the number of square feet, that is that you get. The poor staff was overworked and tried their best. It was what we feared when we booked Reflection. We did note that after the second night, some passengers left for the MDR.
That's too bad! The overcrowding doesn't appeal to me at all. Oh well, maybe we'll aim to dine early and see how it goes. I think we'll go for the 50%-off a specialty restaurant on the first night and hope for the best for the rest of the week in Blu.

We loved Blu on the Reflection. Far better experience than on the Eclipse. Better service and wonderful staff. The price difference is good IMHO.

The Eclipse was our first experience of AQ and we allowed ourselves to be intimidated by a stuck up maître d, he really it a damper on the whole dinning room. An american ( bless him ) lead a revolt and things improved enough for us to book the Reflection. We were impressed enough to chance AQ on the Eclipse again this summer.

Why was your trip on the Eclipse not as good as the Solstice ?

Has anyone else been in AQ on the Eclipse recently?

Experiences please.

We loved Blu on the Reflection. Far better experience than on the Eclipse. Better service and wonderful staff. The price difference is good IMHO.

The Eclipse was our first experience of AQ and we allowed ourselves to be intimidated by a stuck up maître d, he really it a damper on the whole dinning room. An american ( bless him ) lead a revolt and things improved enough for us to book the Reflection. We were impressed enough to chance AQ on the Eclipse again this summer.

Why was your trip on the Eclipse not as good as the Solstice ?

Has anyone else been in AQ on the Eclipse recently?

Experiences please.

I'm intrigued by the "revolt"............care to expound?

We're sailing Reflection in a couple of weeks and have sailed Aqua Class twice before on the Silhouette and Equinox. We absolutely loved Blu and were looking forward to another good experience on the Reflection. The crowds sound like a drag. . . . Some have mentioned dining early is a good bet. Is dining somewhat later -- say 7:45 or 8:00 -- a good time, or is that still the dinner rush? We don't like to eat late but sometimes it's all we can manage on these cruises, and I'd consider it if I didn't have to be elbow-to-elbow with fellow diners. Please advise.

We dined in Blu 5 nights last week on Reflection. We were seated almost immediately every night but one, on which we had a 3 or 4 minute wait. We dined anywhere from 6:30 to 8:30. Twice we showed up at prime time (7-7:30). Service was typically prompt and always very friendly and professional. On the second formal night we dined after the early show (about 8:15 I think) and it was the busiest evening - even then, I would describe the room as having a "good buzz" to it - waits between courses were not excessive. We asked and were allowed to walk into the restaurant and pick our own table. For context, I am in sales and dine out more than I care to at times - I've seen plenty of poor service to know what it looks like - I didn't see even a hint of it here.

Some of the two tops are close together - we never felt crowded or cramped. We never felt the service was awkward or compromised because of this.

We'll be on Reflection in May, and I admit I'm a little worried about the overcrowding in Blu. Were recent AQ cruisers offered the 50% off deal in the specialty restaurants on multiple nights during the cruise, or just the first? And, we hear a lot about the close tables for 2 --- are there separate tables for 4 or do they just push 2 of the bench seat twosomes together?? Lastly, for those who have had a wait for a table, do they ask you to stand in the hallway to wait or give you a pager so you can go to the lounge?

We were Aqua Class on Reflection in February. Our first Celebrity cruise. Loved Blu. The only reason we had a small wait for dinner was because we asked for a specific area in order to have the same servers every night. It was wonderful. Yes, tables are close together but no closer than when we were on the Royal Princess in December. Didn't seem to notice a waiters armpit in my face? We loved it!

We'll be on Reflection in May, and I admit I'm a little worried about the overcrowding in Blu. Were recent AQ cruisers offered the 50% off deal in the specialty restaurants on multiple nights during the cruise, or just the first? And, we hear a lot about the close tables for 2 --- are there separate tables for 4 or do they just push 2 of the bench seat twosomes together?? Lastly, for those who have had a wait for a table, do they ask you to stand in the hallway to wait or give you a pager so you can go to the lounge?

Last week we were offered 50% off any restaurant the first night and 50% off a specific restaurant they chose on the second and third nights - nothing after that. I can't answer your other questions because we were a couple and we never experienced a wait of more than 3 or 4 minutes - not enough time to go to a lounge.

Hi,:) I have been in AQ twice...once on Solstice and once on Sihlouette.

You ask a good question..I would say the majority of tables are 4 tops.

Not all by any means but most. Others who have sailed more recently

can correct my post if I am wrong. But most are 4, although there are 2

tops in there as well. There are also areas where there is a booth on

the inside and chairs on the outside. Those vary as well. A couple of

round 6 tops are in there too.

Hope this helps you a bit....it has been a year since I was on Sihlouette

so my exact memory of the set up may be off, that is why I mentioned

someone sailing more recently may correct my inaccuricies.

Edited by Lois R

Sorry all,should have elaborated re revolt .

As it was our first time in AQ we didn't realise we could ask for

A) any table which was empty

B) items from an everyday menu eg prawn cocktail, cream brûlée

C) the menus for the next night to sort out dishes for my son who needs to take pancreatic enzymes in order to digest food, hence our desire for Blu's healthier menu.

D) Off menu items such as a fruit platter instead of the the first two courses because of the c) sons difficulty in digesting food.

We had always had B through to D in the main dinning room by prior arrangement of course but were told No in Blu.

A lovely American chap put the Maitre'd and his Asst right on hearing the table next to us refused Prawn cocktail even for the next night. People from the surrounding tables chipped in and pointed out that the everyday menu was available on other ships, that dietary needs within reason were usually meet or a compromise suggested and then the American chap asked to speak with the Food and Beverage Manager. Things changed after that. The whole atmosphere changed in Blu after this, we all sort of bonded. People started talking and we ended up having a lovely cruise.

More experienced cruisers will be surprised I am sure but we were really struggling to find food for our son and had tried to go back to the MDR but select was full and we didn't know what to do. We are not by nature complainers and our son then 22 was very embarrassed.

Hence my question to the OP about his Eclipse experiences.

Done Aqua 2x....once on Summit, once on Reflection. I know BLU on Summit was designed as an 'add on' when the ship was remodeled and on Reflection it was part of the original design plan when the ship was built. This being said....

We MUCH preferred BLU on the Summit. The room itself was much more intimate, much more quiet and very relaxing overall. The staff was well trained and worked together like clockwork. They had it down to a science.

On Reflection, although the restaurant was almost never totally full, we did have to wait for a table on many occasions. This was especially the case at breakfast. At times it was only half full but because of what I assume was low staffing they could not accommodate more than a half full restaurant. Then when we did sit, service seemed to be very disorganized....3 people coming to us one after the other to offer us coffee while after 20 minutes nobody had yet come to take our order for breakfast. Everyone was as nice as they could be but it just seemed terribly disorganized to us.

We also did not care for how loud it was in BLU on the Reflection (noise level of the restaurant itself). On Summit the atmosphere was quiet and relaxing. On Reflection it was VERY loud....like a smaller version of the main dining room. It did not seem nearly as relaxing and we missed that.

All this being said, we do have a cruise booked for later this year on the Solstice and we did select Aqua again. Reflection did not scare us away from it but if BLU on Solstice turns out to be like BLU on Reflection we would probably not do it again unless the price was right. We do not find that many of the other perks outside of BLU (some lip balm, an air freshener, a foot rest and some bottled water) mean much to us. None of those are deciding factors.

Edited by Sascol

Well I bit the bullet and opted for Aqua Class and blu on the Reflection. Even in spite of a good bit of price difference. Hope I made the "right" choice.... Sailing in April and am looking very forward to sea breezes and sunshine! Just hope the Blu dining experience is relaxed and delicious. Will definitely report back after the sailing :)