"Free" drink nights?

boblerm

Why even join the Roll Call if one so dislikes the masses?

I join without the expectation that anyone will like me or I them. Just might be happily surprised. Could always just sit on my balcony, as per another post, away from those who do 'need' (their words) to meet others.

I think folks can be a little harsh at times (me included)

Edited by YoHoHo

I don't think it's a matter of disliking the masses. The really large groups just are too large for the purpose. I don't see splitting 125 people up into separate groups as being an answer either.

And not everyone is a good "mingler", either.

Perhaps the problem on Marina with our very large group was that we were squished into an area that really wasn't conducive for so many people.

I can't think of a solution. I certainly don't want to discourage people from signing up for the M&G. Surely you can meet at least 1-2 people (hopefully more) with whom you are sympatico.

Mura

Because its an easy way to put out questions , offer assistance ,discover options and solve problems.

None of these are easily or adequately accomplished at a " meet and greet".

Its akin to a fraternity or sorority "rush"

I am on a cruise that has a monster gathering of over 150 planned... name tags, even to the extent that people are told to dress a certain way while traveling and while on board.

While I think that many love this format I do not and thus politely miss them. I don't think these people are in anyway bad or lesser its just that I do not share the same desires or tastes.

I have however used this computer format to connect with those that are of interest in me and share the same things. Too to offer personal information that might help some one.

Because its an easy way to put out questions , offer assistance ,discover options and solve problems.

None of these are easily or adequately accomplished at a " meet and greet".

Its akin to a fraternity or sorority "rush"

I am on a cruise that has a monster gathering of over 150 planned... name tags, even to the extent that people are told to dress a certain way while traveling and while on board.

While I think that many love this format I do not and thus politely miss them. I don't think these people are in anyway bad or lesser its just that I do not share the same desires or tastes.

I have however used this computer format to connect with those that are of interest in me and share the same things. Too to offer personal information that might help some one.

If one is worried about not getting enough M&G time, there is always the Captains reception for repeat cruisers. On many cruises the repeat customers end up being more than half the ship's passenger! :eek:

One has plenty of opportunities to meet as many of their fellow cruisers that one has the desire to do so on any of the cruises. Not attending this or that M&G will not stifle anyone's social opportunities.:rolleyes:

If one is worried about not getting enough M&G time, there is always the Captains reception for repeat cruisers. On many cruises the repeat customers end up being more than half the ship's passenger! :eek:

:

I also have no desire to attend any Captains functions and past cruiser gala.

I feel for the poor guy who has to feign interest in the forced mass gathering week upon week. and having to endure dining with strangers night after night.

I have serious doubts that the ships staff and officers have been waiting in serious anticipation the opportunity to meet me or dine with me their whole lives, nor I them.

As to past cruisers gatherings I see it as a "look at me" session where many like to parade their perceived status to others.

Outside of these cattle calls I have found, like others, that over the cruise it is rather easy to meet interesting people just through casual contact and normal conversation

I feel for the poor guy who has to feign interest in the forced mass gathering week upon week. and having to endure dining with strangers night after night.

No one is forced to go to the Captains night or the Past cruisers party

Be sure to ask for the 2 tops that are secluded so you will not have to feign interest in the people at tables that are very close to your 2 top

Actually at the Return Cruisers cocktail party we found out that several people do not want the recognition of having sailed as many times as they have on Oceania. They choose not to be recognized and still enjoy the benefits.

There were so many past cruisers on our Jan cruise they had 2 nights for the Past guests you were invited to one of them

It has always been that if you were recieving a pin you could just have them sent to your cabin ..now I think they only do 10+ cruises for the pin presentations

You are not forced to attend anything other than the muster drill ;)

Lyn

Be sure to ask for the 2 tops that are secluded so you will not have to feign interest in the people at tables that are very close to your 2 top

I was referring to the Captain and staff, who have to feign interest in gatherings and associated masses .

They attend because its their job and that's what the get paid to do...schmooze. I feel sorry for them .

I would bet that the skipper would prefer sitting in his cabin in his underwear watching TV with a beer and a burger.

I have no trouble meeting people of kindred spirits and interests where the interests are of mutual attraction......not contrived

As to playing with toys instead of attending the mass gatherings.. And why play with tops...is that a Canadian thing???? You lost me.

There were so many past cruisers on our Jan cruise they had 2 nights for the Past guests you were invited to one of them

It has always been that if you were recieving a pin you could just have them sent to your cabin ..now I think they only do 10+ cruises for the pin presentations

You are not forced to attend anything other than the muster drill ;Lyn

FORCED? The only thing you are forced to do on a cruise is to come to the safety drill. It's a good thing!

There are many times when one wants not to have to go through the what, when, where and why again. There are just so many times when that is of any interest.

There are many times when one wants not to have to go through the what, when, where and why again. There are just so many times when that is of any interest.

Those are the times you ask for a secluded table for 2 ...I do not see a problem with that

Do you??

Lyn

Oceania now gives 10+ cruisers a choice of receiving their pins at the cocktail party or receiving them in their room. If a past passenger prefers not to be recognized at the cocktail party they can still attend but do not have their names called out and how many cruises they have taken as per their wishes.

Oceania now gives 10+ cruisers a choice of receiving their pins at the cocktail party or receiving them in their room. .

I guess I did not phrase it right the first time

You can opt out of receiving your pins at the party at any level

They have so many getting the Bronze pins they now just send them to the recipients cabins, no option

Soon I guess they will do the same for those receiving the Silver pins ;)

Lyn

Lyn

On our TA on Riviera this past fall there were 3 past guest parties. I think the over 20 times group were invited to all of them though.