Book Disembark transfer to FLL or independent taxi

mouseterd1

Return home flight leaves Fort Lauderdale airport at 1:30 p.m. As I won't be in a super rush, from any experience, should I book the Princess airport transfer -$38 (don't know how early that might leave the ship) or should I opt to find my own taxi transport to FLL airport once off ship. I just don't want to be there bright and early and have hours to kill or searching for a taxi once off ship either. :confused:

Any advice?

With a later flight, consider taking a taxi to a nearby hotel. Relax, have an early lunch and then go to the airport. If I remember correctly, FLL doesn't allow you to check in early for your flight so you'll be sitting doing nothing for hours. So you don't want to go directly to the airport.

Depends on how many ships are in port. We missed our 1:30 flight because disembarkation was delayed, there were at least 6 ships in port and no taxis were picking up passengers. We stood in the taxi line for almost 2 hours and we finally grabbed a shuttle that was packed and more expensive than Princess. Taxis were only discharging passengers.

Taxi! Will be less than $20 including tip, and you can share with another couple.

Another poster said you can't check in early at FLL. I've lived here for over 30 years and have never found that to be the case. Also, terminals 2, 3 and 4 (there are 4) have some good places to hang out and have a bite PRIOR to going through security.

With a later flight, consider taking a taxi to a nearby hotel. Relax, have an early lunch and then go to the airport. If I remember correctly, FLL doesn't allow you to check in early for your flight so you'll be sitting doing nothing for hours. So you don't want to go directly to the airport.

FLL is my home airport and I have never experienced an airline preventing early check in there. How could they when most people check-in online? Indeed, we have gone early on many occasions to standby for flights with earlier departures than ours.

Depends on how many ships are in port. We missed our 1:30 flight because disembarkation was delayed, there were at least 6 ships in port and no taxis were picking up passengers. We stood in the taxi line for almost 2 hours and we finally grabbed a shuttle that was packed and more expensive than Princess. Taxis were only discharging passengers.

We ran into this around Christmas time. we were delayed disembarking and then there were no taxis to be found. We eventually found a shuttle to take but it was extremely stressful. I barely made my flight.

If I remember correctly, FLL doesn't allow you to check in early for your flight so you'll be sitting doing nothing for hours. So you don't want to go directly to the airport.

This happened to us. They wouldn't accept our luggage early. So you may be able to "check in" online but you will still just be sitting there waiting and there is not a lot of seating available. It was very crowded.

Sue

Thats a great idea versus sitting at the airport all day. :rolleyes:

We've sat at an airport all day with the kids in the past. Never again.

I found that I can spend about 10 hours going on an airboat ride, having a good meal, playing mini golf and riding go karts with the kids, go watch the sailaway (may be a bit depressing, so we may skip this) and get back to the airport with plenty of time to spare. It'll also be cheaper than the 4 hour Princess disembarkation tour.

We've sat at an airport all day with the kids in the past. Never again.

I found that I can spend about 10 hours going on an airboat ride, having a good meal, playing mini golf and riding go karts with the kids, go watch the sailaway (may be a bit depressing, so we may skip this) and get back to the airport with plenty of time to spare. It'll also be cheaper than the 4 hour Princess disembarkation tour.

Sounds great, but what do you do with your luggage? Our flight doesn't leave till 4:30 pm

E-Z check is available for luggage in FLL, depending upon the airline. That solves the 4 hour limit for checking bags.

You do want to find out how many ships will be in port the day you return. A weekend (which means lots of ships) means you can anticipate understaffing from ICE, hence slowing disembarkation. During the week if there are only a few ships in port, things should be smooth and taxis should in be in excellent supply. That information would impact my choices.

If you can use E-z check, and don't have much hand luggage to worry about you are pretty free to relax where you choose - last disembarkation group and staying on board, or earliest time you can negotiate, and a taxi to Las Olas Blvd or tour on the water taxi, or to a nice hotel for a relaxing brunch.....

The only caution, if you don't have TSA precheck, is that on a day when a lot of cruise ships are disembarking, the security lines could be long at FLL and you might have to factor in a bit of a wait there.

An extra few hours in the airport in FLL is not so bad, there are places to relax with a drink or two, and get a bite to eat, but it really depends on your preference.

Princess also offers some tours, such as to the Everglades or cruising around the canals of FLL, with a drop off at the airport. You can leave your hand luggage on the bus, your checked bags are not a problem, and you are entertained but get to the airport in time for your flight.

Lots of options.

Thanks everyone for good advice.

There will be only two ships in port April 18...so I think we will wing a taxi to FLL. If disembarking is on time, approximately what time would be last off ship? I think a direct Princess airport transfer would leave much earlier than that and we'd be there way too soon for our 1:30 p.m. flight.

Our flight home next week is at 3:40 p.m. Southwest won't let us check in until 11:40 a.m. We've had such late flights before. We try to get off the ship as late as possible. We take a taxi to FLL and kill a couple of hours waiting until it's time to check in. That, combined with going through security, generally takes about 30 minutes. We'll eat lunch somewhere inside the secured area, then try to find a seat near our gate. I carry a travel size Scrabble that we can play, and DH will have his laptop.

we decided to reserve Fort Lauderdale Transfer Company---the were only a little more than a taxi- and seem to be very organized regarding cruise port.-

I do expect a bit of a wait- but I have read too many reports that on certain days, for whatever reason, people have had to wait up to two hours for a taxi.

I almost considered getting a ride through Princess, but I hate having to wait for the bus to be full before leaving. We too have a late flight (6:35 PM) so we are renting a minivan at the airport, were able to get a day room at Rodeway Inn-- near a big movie theater and restaurants that will be open Easter Day. This will work for us. The Rodeway Inn is good enough for day room purpose-Decent small pool area and decent restaurant for lunch, free easy parking lot--

We ran into this around Christmas time. we were delayed disembarking and then there were no taxis to be found. .

Thank you for posting this.

There are SO many posts here: "There is never a problem getting a taxi."

...which is simply not true, if you are at berth 21, and there

are several other ships in that area competing for cabs.

If you are at berth 2 on a weekday, then a cab should be fine.

Thanks everyone for good advice.

There will be only two ships in port April 18...so I think we will wing a taxi to FLL. If disembarking is on time, approximately what time would be last off ship? I think a direct Princess airport transfer would leave much earlier than that and we'd be there way too soon for our 1:30 p.m. flight.

Looking at around 9:30, you will be fine with a cab.

We just flew home a couple of weeks ago from FLL. We did the Princess everglade and flamingo garden tour, with the transfer to the airport. This worked for our time schedule and left us at the airport early, with a flight at 6:00. Don't forget the construction at the airport. The wait for food was two hours to sit down, and we where limited in the terminal area. We opted for Peiwei/Jamba juice selection. Less crowded.

We just flew home a couple of weeks ago from FLL. We did the Princess everglade and flamingo garden tour, with the transfer to the airport. This worked for our time schedule and left us at the airport early, with a flight at 6:00. Don't forget the construction at the airport. The wait for food was two hours to sit down, and we where limited in the terminal area. We opted for Peiwei/Jamba juice selection. Less crowded.

The tour is a great way to pass the day. :)