Gift card denied to pay for OBC..

monakayk

:confused:I just called today over on PCL and wanted to purchase some OBC using a Visa-Gift Card (given to me). The gift card was for $50.00 but all I wanted to use from the gift card was $40.00 The PCL rep said the card was denied and could not give me a reason. I told her it was a gift card...but she still said no reason was given why it was denied. I went over to the Visa-Gift card website to check to make sure that there were enough funds still there to cover $40.00 charge or any extra that PCL might charge to process it. The entire $50.00 credit was still good.

I have read that folks have used these gift cards to purchase OBC and thought I would use it that way. I have used gift cards to purchase bottles of Wine through PCL...and they worked fine. Just not sure why it didn't work this time for an OBC purchase.

:confused:Anyone know why it didn't work? Also....would it be better to just use the gift card using the form you e-mail for gifts instead of calling PCL?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by monakayk

:confused:I just called today over on PCL and wanted to purchase some OBC using a Visa-Gift Card (given to me). The gift card was for $50.00 but all I wanted to use from the gift card was $40.00 The PCL rep said the card was denied and could not give me a reason. I told her it was a gift card...but she still said no reason was given why it was denied. I went over to the Visa-Gift card website to check to make sure that there were enough funds still there to cover $40.00 charge or any extra that PCL might charge to process it. The entire $50.00 credit was still good.

I have read that folks have used these gift cards to purchase OBC and thought I would use it that way. I have used gift cards to purchase bottles of Wine through PCL...and they worked fine. Just not sure why it didn't work this time for an OBC purchase.

:confused:Anyone know why it didn't work? Also....would it be better to just use the gift card using the form you e-mail for gifts instead of calling PCL?

Thanks in advance.

I hate using these because everyone seems to have a problem entering them correctly and they come back denied. I would call back and speak with a supervisor. I am sure they entered it wrong. :rolleyes:

I had a promotional VISA card (for renewing my lousy cell service)for $250. I called my TA to apply it to the cruise balance and told her it was a "gift card." She was surprised that it went through and said that many times the system won't accept them.

P.S. The cell service didn't get lousy until after they bought out another company. Now they're using two tin cans and string.

I received one of those as a gift and had problems using it at a restaurant (swipe transaction). No reason given. It worked fine elsewhere. From what I've heard, they're notoriously picky about where they are accepted. Certainly not the "Wherever Visa/MC is accepted" like you're led to believe.

I tried to use our gift card while on the Golden to apply to our account and was told that they would / could not take it because my name was not on it. I was surprised. Use it on land and had no problem what so ever.

That's so odd. We applied two separate Amex gift cards on the Ruby in February to our account, they had no problem accepting them and our name was not on them. I don't know why there can't be consistency within the same cruise line. :confused:

That's so odd. We applied two separate Amex gift cards on the Ruby in February to our account, they had no problem accepting them and our name was not on them. I don't know why there can't be consistency within the same cruise line. :confused:

I think its just the lack of knowledge of the employees.

I hate these cards! :rolleyes:

I think its just the lack of knowledge of the employees.

I hate these cards! :rolleyes:

I don't think that's the case. If they swipe 'em and they work, then fine. If they swipe 'em and they are declined, well it's not their fault. :rolleyes:

I was just reading the "agreement" on a couple of AT&T cards that we've recently received. It does state that, in certain cases, you have to call them to register the cards with your name/address before some businesses will accept them.

I do remember a gift card that we had several years ago and it stated on the back that you couldn't use it on a cruise ship! :eek:

I received one of those as a gift and had problems using it at a restaurant (swipe transaction). No reason given.

When used in a restaurant, authorization also includes a possible tip of 20% or more. Did your card have enough value left to cover such a tip?

Tell Princess to process it without putting in an address (if they tell you it won't work without an address, tell them to try). Since gift cards don't have your address associated with them, having the ZIP in there can cause the error.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I don't think that's the case. If they swipe 'em and they work, then fine. If they swipe 'em and they are declined, well it's not their fault.

I just have a hard time believing that because when you have another employee or manager come over and they try and it works I blame the employee. :cool:

The only reason I can think of that the cruise lines will not take certain cards-- if you cancel the money has no where to be put as majority of the cards are unloadable.

That makes sense - it's not a credit card where they can just put the amount back on your account.

Do note that pre-paid cards under the same umbrella can be issued by different banks as well with different rules. So one pre-paid visa might work, but another won't without registration, and another might not work at all unless swiped.

I just have a hard time believing that because when you have another employee or manager come over and they try and it works I blame the employee. :cool:

Yeah, I get ya... I've worked in retail where I was able to basically do the same thing using a "little-known" trick to get something done. In that case, the employee was doing the right thing because of policy, but I was able to override because the guest yelled loudly enough... :p

When used in a restaurant, authorization also includes a possible tip of 20% or more. Did your card have enough value left to cover such a tip?

Yes, it was at a quick serve casual place and the purchase was like $10. Gift card had never been used and value was $25. :mad: Was able to use it at grocery store same day.

In my line of work I sell and accept gift cards. From the back of the hanging cardboard that holds an American Express $100 Gift Card:

"This prepaid American Express Cift Card may be used at U.S. merchants that accept American Express Cards. Funds do not expire. The Card may not be used at ATMs. Not redeemable for cash, except where required by law. Additional limitations apply, including restrictions on use of Card at cruise lines................."

Same applies for Visa/MC gift cards.

Only valid in US and not on cruise ships.

Thanks Everyone for the info and advice.

The Visa-Gift card I have has to be registered online with my name , address and has a pin number on the back. Plus I have to sign it. So really it looks like a Visa charge card...only difference...it has the amount printed on the front of the card and "gift card" printed in smaller letters on the front. So as far as needing an address or pin number attached to it..I have that.

The funny thing is..........I used one to purchase a bottle of Wine to be delivered to the dining room with another Visa-Gift card of the same type for this very same cruise on the Caribbean Princess. Called PCL...the rep took all the info...and it was charged and accepted. PCL did charge $3.00 during a pending period of a couple of days, which was returned back on the card. So I with that knowledge using the $50.00 gift card this time and only asking for $40.00 charge toward OBC there would've been extra money to cover any extra charges.

This is all strange to me...when PCL accepts them and when they won't.:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: