Rome hotel?

satchiesmom

We are also doing 3 days in Rome prior to our cruise. We are staying at the Londra & Cargill, in Central Rome. It is a HAL preferred hotel, and HAL have a rep there. Transfers to the port are run by HAL, or the hotel also offers a transfer service.

If you book direct with the hotel you will get it much cheaper than the HAL price.

Check out the hotel web site and have a look.

Sent from my tablet thingy!

Relais Fontana di Trevi .Not too crazy in price. Very central location. You can walk to all the sites around Rome from the hotel. Clean,well kept,great service. Breakfast on a terrace that overlooks the fountain! The hotel is quiet and you do not hear any noise from people at the fountain. We kept our window open at night and you could hear the water! This is one of our most favorite hotels in Europe.

Londra & Cargill, mentioned above, is a bit out of the way if you want to be centrally located.

My favorite hotel in Rome has long been the Albergo del Senato, situated in the very center of the historic area, right across from the Pantheon. I just stayed there again two weeks ago (I think my fifth stay?) and enjoyed it as always. They are doing some renovations at the moment to be spruced up and ready for the upcoming high tourist season.

View from the front door:

P1040566.JPG

Across the piazza, looking at the hotel (in front, pink building):

P1040320.JPG

View of the Pantheon at night from my room:

P1040301.JPG

You can ask for a room with a view of the Pantheon -- they won't guarantee it but will try their best. Rooms aren't huge but are nicely appointed in a traditional Italian style (it is NOT a modern-style hotel). Breakfasts are included and are great by Italian standards -- eggs, bacon, cereals, yogurt, bread, cheese, salami and free cappuccino if desired.

Agreed the del Senato is THE best hotel in Rome for location and true Italian style….. and the bar on the roof is a wonderful place to enjoy a sunset !!!

but I am going to throw another item into the mix…… if staying 3 nights or more in Rome - consider an apartment :)

There are many benefits but the first that come to mind is price !!! You can save quite a bit of money staying in an apartment. Also you have more space and a kitchen for coffee/breakfast or snacks….. if just two of you - a 1 bedroom or even studio would work and if there are others - 2 bedrooms or more are also readily available.

We have stayed at Hotel Mozart and Albergo del Senato and will stay again if only for a night or two…… but both times we have stayed more nights we have rented an apartment (twice) and will do so again if we stay 3 or more nights.

There are TONS of them everywhere in the heart of Rome - our first one was about 30 steps from the Albergo del Senato and the Pantheon….. our second was steps from Piazza Navonna. We walk everywhere so this is important.

There are numerous sites that you can look at and book from - and quite a few threads here on CC about this topic.

Whatever you decide - have fun and enjoy Rome !

I agree with both Cruisemom and Texancruiser........ we stayed at the LLondra & Cargill for one night post cruise after having rented an apt for our 3 nights pre-cruise in the Piazza Navona area.

We loved the apt and the Piazza Navona area! The hotel itself is very nice but seemed to be in a more "business district" with government offices etc. We had to take the bus into the more historic area whereas from the Piazza Navona area we were able to walk everywhere. We have rented the same apt again for our Oct. trip.

You might want to check out http://www.vrbo.com to see if an apt appeals to you.

IMO unless you are very familiar with a city, renting an apartment leaves you with nobody to give you advice, make reservations etc. During our two trips to Rome, we stayed at Hotel Paba. Very reasonable and close to the colliseum and metro. The owner/manager (Alberta) is a fountain of information and always willing to assist with questions etc. Look it up on trip advisor.

IMO unless you are very familiar with a city, renting an apartment leaves you with nobody to give you advice, make reservations etc.

Not sure where you got this information, but it is not the case all the time.

Our first apartment in Rome was in a building where the landlord owned the whole building. He lived upstairs. He would offer many services including making reservations for a chef to come cook a true Italian dinner for you….

in our second apartment we had a number to call for info, taxi pickups and more……

in each and every apartment we have rented (not only in Rome) there has been a wonderful 3-ring binder with TONS of information in it. Items such as restaurants nearby (incl those who would deliver) emergency information, tourist sites, maps and so much more. Usually the first evening I go through it and I always get a lot more info than I could get from a front desk person in a hotel.

And, once (just once) I actually have stopped in a hotel nearby and asked a question (even though I was not staying there)

Now, I agree that an apartment is not for everyone. There are some out there that this would totally be out of their comfort zone….. many people always take ship tours for the same reason. They just need that "connection". But for most if they try it - they love it

Now, I agree that an apartment is not for everyone. There are some out there that this would totally be out of their comfort zone….. many people always take ship tours for the same reason. They just need that "connection". But for most if they try it - they love it

On this one I don't think we will ever see eye to eye. ;) I have twice stayed in apartments in Italy now, and still have to say that I prefer a hotel.

That's not to say that I won't stay in an apartment if I'm going to be somewhere for close to a week or more. The sheer cost advantage dictates otherwise. In fact, I'm hoping to be in Rome for a week after Christmas, and I'll probably rent an apartment. But I really enjoy staying in a hotel more!

I don't get the idea that someone can't feel like a temporary local if staying in a hotel.... I take local transportation, I try to eat in non-touristy restaurants, I still go into local stores (salumeria, grocery stores, etc.) to buy food and will eat the occasional meal in my room. I don't really enjoy cooking when I'm on vacation. And when I'm staying in an apartment, I'm doing the same thing in the evening that I would be doing in a hotel (e.g., preparing for the next day, watching a little local TV, etc.)

The amount of information and communication from an apartment owner can vary -- you seem to have been lucky. The apartment where I stayed in Sorrento had no such information and the owner was not readily available to answer questions. We were supposed to have free wi-fi access but couldn't get anyone to answer questions on getting it to work (it wasn't straightforward) until more than halfway through our stay.

My most recent apartment stay met with no issues -- but then it was a known quantity, highly recommended and arranged by someone who had stayed there before and "knew the ropes".

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that there is less flexibility with check-in and check-out when renting. I usually arrive in Italy in the early morning after a nonstop flight. If staying in a hotel, it is easy to check in early; even if one's room isn't ready, they will hold your luggage. This frees me up to get out and start enjoying my destination. On the other hand, apartment owners can be less flexible on timing and often don't want to check you in until the afternoon. (This happened to us in Sorrento also -- we had to dawdle for half a day until we could be checked in at 4pm.) Not a big deal if you have a couple of weeks in a place, but when you only have 3 or 4 days, it eats a chunk out of the day.

Perhaps I am in the minority, but when my time in a beloved city like Rome is limited, I don't want to have to deal with any issues such as waiting to check in or not being able to access the internet or not having hot water for showers because I can't figure out the system or waiting for the rental owner to get back to me about something...!

Edited by cruisemom42

On this one I don't think we will ever see eye to eye. ;) I have twice stayed in apartments in Italy now, and still have to say that I prefer a hotel.

That's not to say that I won't stay in an apartment if I'm going to be somewhere for close to a week or more. The sheer cost advantage dictates otherwise. In fact, I'm hoping to be in Rome for a week after Christmas, and I'll probably rent an apartment. But I really enjoy staying in a hotel more!

I don't get the idea that someone can't feel like a temporary local if staying in a hotel.... I take local transportation, I try to eat in non-touristy restaurants, I still go into local stores (salumeria, grocery stores, etc.) to buy food and will eat the occasional meal in my room. I don't really enjoy cooking when I'm on vacation. And when I'm staying in an apartment, I'm doing the same thing in the evening that I would be doing in a hotel (e.g., preparing for the next day, watching a little local TV, etc.)

The amount of information and communication from an apartment owner can vary -- you seem to have been lucky. The apartment where I stayed in Sorrento had no such information and the owner was not readily available to answer questions. We were supposed to have free wi-fi access but couldn't get anyone to answer questions on getting it to work (it wasn't straightforward) until more than halfway through our stay.

My most recent apartment stay met with no issues -- but then it was a known quantity, highly recommended and arranged by someone who had stayed there before and "knew the ropes".

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that there is less flexibility with check-in and check-out when renting. I usually arrive in Italy in the early morning after a nonstop flight. If staying in a hotel, it is easy to check in early; even if one's room isn't ready, they will hold your luggage. This frees me up to get out and start enjoying my destination. On the other hand, apartment owners can be less flexible on timing and often don't want to check you in until the afternoon. (This happened to us in Sorrento also -- we had to dawdle for half a day until we could be checked in at 4pm.) Not a big deal if you have a couple of weeks in a place, but when you only have 3 or 4 days, it eats a chunk out of the day.

Perhaps I am in the minority, but when my time in a beloved city like Rome is limited, I don't want to have to deal with any issues such as waiting to check in or not being able to access the internet or not having hot water for showers because I can't figure out the system or waiting for the rental owner to get back to me about something...!

I may give your favorite hotel a try next September as i think im only going to have 1 night post cruise in Rome. I looked in the front door when we were in Rome in November and it looks quite lovely. And of course the location is stellar. But i also have to say my apartment experience on that trip couldnt have been better. I was off the ship by 8am and in Rome by 930am and the owner was waiting and i got checked right in. Tons of info from her and also a book she had made up. The apt also came with a laptop to use which was real nice. Super location 1 block from Campo Di Forini. My take on this is it doenst really matter if its a hotel or an apartment. Im just happy to be alive and in the postion to get to experience such a beautiful city as Rome. Thank you God.

My take on this is it doenst really matter if its a hotel or an apartment. Im just happy to be alive and in the postion to get to experience such a beautiful city as Rome. Thank you God.

Amen to that!! :D

Just trying to provide some balance in the great "apartment vs. hotel" debate. One size doesn't necessarily fit all and there's not a need to suggest that folks who stay in hotels don't get the same experience or are afraid to go it alone....

Thanks everyone for the help. The Albergo del Senato looks lovely!

It is an absolutely beautiful hotel, but you will pay dearly for it.

Unfortunately it isn't in my budget. There are a ton of hotels in Rome,

and you will get lots of ideas on this website.

Tripadvisor and venere dot com are a couple more websites that are good.

And finally europeforvisitors dot com is another website with tons of information.

Only you can decide what you want in a hotel. Time of year you are there can also have a great bearing on the cost. When I started looking in February, hotels were much cheaper than they were in October when we were going to be there.

We ended up staying in a small hotel run by the nuns, about 10 blocks from the Vatican, called Domus Aurelia. Continental breakfast was included and the cost was $113 per night for a triple with a balcony. Only drawback was no restaurants close by. We just learned to eat before we returned to the hotel. Taxi to the Vatican was 10 EUR. Then HO HO bus stop at the Vatican for our two day pass to see the sites of Rome.

Have fun planning, then taking your trip to Rome!

Cruisemom - your photo of the Pantheon at night - right up that street in the photo is my favorite Roman restaurant - Armando al Pantheon. I've always been treated well there as a solo woman traveler. Check out their website for their menus - it'll give you a chance to try out your Italian again ;) I've not had a bad meal there.

Cruisemom - your photo of the Pantheon at night - right up that street in the photo is my favorite Roman restaurant - Armando al Pantheon. I've always been treated well there as a solo woman traveler. Check out their website for their menus - it'll give you a chance to try out your Italian again ;) I've not had a bad meal there.

This past visit I was only "coming and going" so I only had a chance to visit two of my favorite restaurants and didn't try any new ones... But I will definitely give it a look/try when I'm there longer.

Amen to that!! :D

Just trying to provide some balance in the great "apartment vs. hotel" debate. One size doesn't necessarily fit all and there's not a need to suggest that folks who stay in hotels don't get the same experience or are afraid to go it alone....

Wait a minute Cynthia….. I never said that !!!!! :) I just said that it is outside of some peoples comfort zone. But I also said that there are those I have heard from who "bit the bullet" and tried and it and loved it.

For staying 3 or more nights you can save a lot of money and many on this website are looking for clean comfortable accommodations for a good price and many times an apartment can fit that bill…… and a lot of people never even think of that option. As for check in, info etc…. I always make sure up-front all those details are figured out ahead of time. I have never had to wait to check in to an apartment and have definitely had to wait to check into a hotel in Rome. They did hold my luggage but no room to freshen up after traveling over 24 hours ! Our apartment also held our luggage on check out day when we did the Scavi tour before leaving for the port…… again a detail I arranged up-front.

I stay in both (hotels and apartments) I would love to stay at the Albergo del Senato every time but it is pricey and cost prohibitive for longer stays - I just want to let others know there are other options.

Edited by texancruzer

This past visit I was only "coming and going" so I only had a chance to visit two of my favorite restaurants and didn't try any new ones... But I will definitely give it a look/try when I'm there longer.

You should check out Katie Parla's blog - you'd get some great recommendations for new places to go… Her app is good, too…

I may go to a restaurant anywhere; the food may be amazing, but if I'm not treated well as a solo woman, I'll never recommend the place.

What are your 2 favorite restaurants? We are staying in Rome 2 days post tour:)

Edited by disneylover89