Markets in London

hsaroya

If I had to pick one market in London to visit for eating, light shopping, street entertainment, etc, would Covent Garden be the best? We're travelling with DD 14 and DS 16 in Aug. Thank you!

There is a potted summary of some of the main markets here:

http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/activities/shopping/market/londons-top-markets

However, Covent Garden is certainly the most popular and central. A large selection of outlets, both retail and eateries and usually street performers in action.

When I lived in London, Columbia Rd market was my favourite. In an old East End Street and full of flower stalls and lined with quaint shops and cafes. However its only on Sunday morning and needs an early start.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've never considered Covent Garden to be a market, not like say Camden or Portobello Road.

Decades ago it was London's fruit & veg market, but now that has re-located to New Covent Garden, the building has been taken over by cafes, restaurants, souvenir shops & such. It's in the heart of theatre-land, busy, vibrant, street entertainers, etc & well worth a visit to people-watch & browse a little. But I doubt you'll find bargains there as you will in the more conventional Londoners' markets.

Consider New Covent Garden (or Smithfield for meat or Billingsgate for fish) to see "working" London's wholesale market trade & its customers in action.

But what are you like for getting up & about before the larks? :D

JB :)

JB is correct.

As much as we love the area around Covent Garden the market is no longer a market. You will only find tourists like yourselves there overpaying for everything and never get the true "market" feeling. Borough and Brick Lane markets have farmers and a real "market" experience.

I agree that Covent Garden is full of tourists, although the area is quite nice. If you went to East London on a Sunday morning you could visit Columbia Road, the flower market. Also Spitalfields which has loads of stalls, shops, bars and restaurants and also the market in Brick Lane.

Many of the street markets are not as good as they used to be and the stalls are no longer run by Londoners. So, you miss the Cockney cheeky chappy character that you got years ago.

Here's a vote for Columbia Road and Spitalfields.... The latter very trendy for youngsters and also has some excellent 'proper' shops and eateries nearby. There are some street entertainers too. Well worth a visit.

OP asked for "eating, light shopping, street entertainment etc."

Covent Garden ticks all of those boxes IMHO. There are plenty of farmers markets around but they do not generally have street entertainment.

Partridges on Duke of York's Square does sometimes have some music however. Many of the Borough Market traders are there as well. (unashamed local plug BTW!)

Thanks, everyone, for your two cents/pence:) It's nice to see some regulars popping up on my London threads! By the time we leave for the Med cruise in Aug, your sage advice will have provided me a wealth of information. Some people enjoy the surprise element, I prefer to have every detail researched and planned out! 24 years as a junior high teacher - can't seem to let go of the planning even in my personal life.

I just posted a question about fish and chips I'm hoping some of you will chime in on.

OP asked for "eating, light shopping, street entertainment etc."

Covent Garden ticks all of those boxes IMHO.

Yes, but it's not a market. It's basically a shopping mall built in some preserved historic buildings.

If the OP wants a shopping mall rather than a market, it might be perfect. One problem is that we don't really know whether "one market in London" is intended to mean a market.

Yes, but it's not a market. It's basically a shopping mall built in some preserved historic buildings.

If the OP wants a shopping mall rather than a market, it might be perfect. One problem is that we don't really know whether "one market in London" is intended to mean a market.

I'm guessing that, as a tourist, OP would not be looking to buy fresh produce as per a farmers market. By eating, I took them to mean 'street food', which Covent Garden does have some stalls.

Partridges market has lots of excellent 'street food' stalls (fish and chips, burgers, curries, jerk chicken etc.) as well as plenty of produce stalls. Then there is Sloane Street, Sloane Square and the Kings Road for shopping.

Edited by SteveH2508
added Kings Road

I would have suggested King's Road if we were still in the 60s, but it's not really cutting edge anymore. Teenagers want modern things which you will find in Spitalfields, Brick Lane and Camden

Agreed Kings Road ain't what it was - but it beats the hell out of Brent Cross/Bluewater/Westfields and those other clone malls. (BTW I HATE shopping but OP didn't ask my area of expertise - good London pubs!:D)

I should have given more info in terms of what I was looking for in a market. Not really seeking fresh produce as I'd rather frequent the local pubs (here you go, Steve!), or fish and chips joints instead of cooking. Looking for something that will give us some street entertainments, eclectic shopping stalls, street food, and a local as opposed to a tourist vibe. Hope that narrows it down.

Near to Trafalgar Square (and not far from Covent Garden) is the Harp, Chandos Place. V nice sausages but they run out quite quickly. Has won several awards for 'Best pub in London'). Great beer and proper cider but gets quite full (not surprisingly).

Gordons Wine bar, Villiers street is a very different kind of place (no draught beer but has draught sherry!) - the food is very good (you must at least look inside - all the way in - not just poke your head through the door);)

Several good pubs round Covent Garden - Marquis of Granby (Youngs brewery = good beer).

When you have firmed up your itinerary I/we can give you a few pointers to other good pubs in London.

Fullers is a lovely drop of beer. Treat the Extra Special Bitter (ESB) with respect - it creeps up on you! London Pride would be one of my top 5 'desert island' beers. Food in Fullers pubs is usually pretty reasonable as well. I may well be in there in a couple of weeks time after visiting the Cabinet War Rooms.

Edited by SteveH2508