Please tell me more about the Prinsendam

sunsetbeachgal

We are considering booking a cruise on the Prinsendam. I have never sailed on this ship but have sailed on the Ocean Princess, one of Princess smaller ships. Should I assume it is a similar experience? We loved the small ship experience and visiting ports that the larger ships can not get to. The only downside of a small ship was that the entertainment definitely was not on par with the larger ships, but we expected that. We sailed on the Eurodam in November and were more than pleased with all aspects of the cruise, so are hoping the Prinsendam is equally great!

We would probably book an inside or ocean view cabin. Is there anything that I should steer away from?

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I see that you were on the Maasdam back before the Mix was installed. I rate the Prinsendam about on a par with the Maasdam, plus a few bonus points for having fewer people. We were on a T-A and didn't hit any "small ship only" ports ... and unique ports would be the only reason that I would pay the premium price to go on the P'dam again. It's a nice ship, but not worth the extra cost to me.

Edited by jtl513

It has been quite a long time and many cruises since the Maasdam, but I certainly enjoyed the Eurodam. I also enjoyed sailing on the Ocean Princess, which I think is a more similar size, and happened to get that particular cruise at a great sale price, and I agree that I am not willing to pay a big premium. The Prinsendam has some wonderful itineraries!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Ask away on the Prinsendam. We love that ship.

Like the Ocean Princess, she is an older lady but quite well preserved.

She does do some unique ports when she does many itineraries - a TA as JT was on doesn't have them.

I rate her higher than the Maasdam but I have been in those unique ports with fantastic roll calls so that probably makes a difference.

I haven't been on the Ocean Princess but several on our roll call had been and they were VERY happy on the Elegant Explorer. We were sharing a private transfer to the airport on the way back and I couldn't resist asking if they could have stayed on after 31 days - the reply - that ship grows on you - and yes, we could have stayed.

The sign of a successful cruise to me is that there is still some regret you are getting off. We could have easily stayed on for another cruise.

I find the food better in the MDR - there are some nice touches done and the size of the ship and the bigger percentage of crew to passengers is a huge plus.

They all know you so it doesn't take long for them to know your habits.

It's our favourite ship in the fleet. We've only been on her twice - but for 52 days and with another 30 coming in September :)

It's really easy to book a cruise on this ship. I just have to show DH the itinerary and when he hears the ship (he doesn't normally care what ship we go on within reason) - he makes a joke about not going on that old ship again - and the next words are - what are you waiting for? book that cruise:p

Ask away - happy to help if we can. Like the Ocean Princess, I think you either love this ship or you don't.

The inside cabins the beds can not go together on the Prinsendam .

Is this the same for all of the inside cabins?? Does this relate to any of the oceanview cabins?

Is all dining traditional fixed seating?

I haven't really looked at the deck plans yet...on the Ocean Princess we did an inside on a higher deck so we could just walk up one flight of stairs and we were at the buffet, pool, etc.

The cruise we are considering is very port intensive, so being on a small ship would be a huge plus, IMHO!!

Thank you for your help!

We love the Prinsendam -- have visited some amazing places on it in Europe from the Polar Ice Cap to Bordeaux to the Kiel Canal to Instanbul.

There are not many inside staterooms and they are tiny. Usually it's only a small difference to upgrade to an outside stateroom. Most but not all have a tub and a walk-in closet, check the deck plan carefully.

Entertainment is in 3 areas: the showroom, the Oceans bar with a band for dancing, and a Piano player in the Crows Nest.

The Pinnacle Grill specialty restaurant is beautiful while the main dining room is all one level with large windows.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have nearly 200 days on the Prinsendam and a fair number of days on the small Princess ships as well. I will say that all have been done for the itinerary!

Overall, we prefer the Prinsendam due to the larger open spaces and the walkaround deck. Yes, the Princess ships have the upper out in the open deck for walking, but that doesn't work so well in windy, rainy weather.

And the entertainment is overall better on the Prinsendam. One thing we do really like about the small Princess ships is that the cruise activity staff is also the entertainment staff - for the small production numbers they do. We find them out walking about and interacting during sailaway and at other times, more than you will find on HAL.

HAL's beds are definitely better than Princess. Outside cabins are probably a toss up except that Prinsendam has the famous walk in closet.

As for food, we used to prefer Princess options overall, but last cruise - last fall, Black Sea and Med, it was not up to the same standard we'd had before. It could have been a one off, or just that ship or itinerary. Who ever knows?? Both have their diehard fans. For us, itinerary will win out. ;)

Prinsendam is our favorite ship. I believe our upcoming Iceland cruise will be our 4th. That said.....we have sailed Ocean Princess a year and a half ago. If you liked Ocean Princess, you will LOVE Prinsendam. Ocean Princess was somewhat of a disappointment in comparison. She isn't as elegant. Her show lounge is pretty bad. (I was called onto the stage to dance with one of the singers in the Motown review!) It's just that the sight lines are very poor, for a cruise ship. The dining room on OP isn't nearly as elegant. The food choices were not as good. The mattress was terrible. And, there is no walk in closet! There weren't many venues for getting a drink in the evenings, as well. I did like the back of the casual dining area because it is outside. I didn't like the plastic furniture. Prinsendam's back dining area is now enclosed, but I do like it a lot.

I don't remember prices....I usually just go by itinerary. I am quite sure Prinsendam will cost more, or it should.

We have Prinsendam friends sailing on Pacific Princess in the Fall....I'm glad they didn't ask our opinion. I would have to lie...since they're already booked and excited!

Is all dining traditional fixed seating?

Except on Grand Voyages there is both Fixed and Open. Since the MDR is just a single level, they are mixed, with the Open mainly along the windows and the Fixed in the center. On GV's there is only Fixed.

See http://wa70.com/hal/dining/PrdmAYWdseating-New052708.jpg

Edited by jtl513

Except on Grand Voyages there is both Fixed and Open. Since the MDR is just a single level, they are mixed, with the Open mainly along the windows and the Fixed in the center. On GV's there is only Fixed.

See http://wa70.com/hal/dining/PrdmAYWdseating-New052708.jpg

There is a also a more forward section in the dining room which is only for fixed dining :) My place of choice as we take the stair case down after listening to the Adagios.

I called it the secret staircase originally - I love it - I feel like a princess when I come down :D

For the OP, there are some Prinsendam cabin pictures on the new website - HALfacts.com Also, on the general page, info like wine menus, dinner menus, on locations - the website is still building - but the pics on the Prinsendam page may help. (Of course she has her own page - the Elegant Explorer is a class unto herself).

The link to the website is in my signature ;)

One could argue that the Prinsendam is the best ship in the fleet---and make a very good case for it. If you liked the E-dam, you should love the Prinsendam. You'll be surprised that they are both in the same fleet!

She was built for the luxury line Royal Viking, and those special touches still show. The cabins are on a short passageway off the main corridor, buffered by the walk-in closet and bathroom---making them exceedingly quiet.

The public rooms feel quite spacious, which they are. The show lounge is tiered, so views are excellent.

I don't know about the inside cabins on the upper deck, but the ones on Dolphin Deck are very small for two people.

The service is definitely kicked up a notch on this ship. By the first morning, all the stewards were addressing me by name. At cocktail time, they already knew my preference and after a nod from me, just went about preparing it.

At least breakfast in the Lido is made to order; nothing was taken from a warming tray. I don't know about the other meals.

Because they don't have as many people to get to know, and serve, they really know what you want and just do it.

If you liked the E-dam, you should love the Prinsendam.

Unless you prefer newer ships, as I do. :)

The cabins are on a short passageway off the main corridor, buffered by the walk-in closet and bathroom---making them exceedingly quiet.

Except for the new AB cabins, the suites, and about a dozen on the Dolphin deck.

The show lounge is tiered, so views are excellent.

I agree with this!

By the first morning, all the stewards were addressing me by name.

I think you're a much more memorable person than we are! :D We don't get that on any ship, including the P'dam.

I just want to mention that not all cabins have walk-in closets...mine didn't on my recent cruise. I LOVED the Prinsendam!

very true - most do - but you do have to check the deck plans. AB cabins do not have walk in closets and there are a few others - but they are a rarity.

Welcome to the fan club :D

...haven't seen portholes in quite a long while! :D
You'll find them far forward on the lower decks of all of HAL's nine oldest ships. The ones we had in P'dam 303 (pics on halfacts.com) were much larger than I expected, and gave almost as much light as a regular rectangular window.

Edited by jtl513

We like the description of the P'Dam as an "old lady." And indeed, when compared to the other HAL ships (and most other mass market cruise ships she is indeed one of the oldest ladies. We have only cruised on the P'Dam for 3 cruises, but that totals about 150 days. And we consider her our favorite HAL ship...despite her many inadequacies and maintenance problems. When we set foot on nearly any cruise ship we feel like we are coming back home. But when we step on the P'Dam it is more like entering into our own living room. And by the way, speaking of Portholes we have booked Porthole cabins on 2 or our 3 P'Dam cruises. Those cabins are somewhat of a bargain and it reminds us of our early cruising (a long time ago).

Hank