Whats going on with the Emerald?

SugarStar00

I read that they are having problems with thrusters or something and are unable to dock so they are tendering people? I'm on next week's sailing and hoping there's not going to be any cancellations, this already happened to me 2 years ago when the Caribbean Princess broke down.

Feel like I might be sick....:(

We are watching this too - we board on 4/8. Sure hope they fix things by then!

Come join our Roll Call. We're a fun bunch!! :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1809909

Any updates---especially if you are on board.

According to PescadoAmarillo's blog (she's been on the Emerald since mid November) they attempted to fix the issue but were not totally successful. It looks like repairs will need to be completed in Port Everglades. It doesn't sound like it's a very serious problem but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Here is an excerpt from today's blog posting:

"Captain Stenzel announced, just before we left St. Kitts, that the problem had been worked on today, and we would notice that the ship would be doing some tests before we started to cruise north to St. Thomas. Based on the outcome of those tests, we would either dock at Crown Bay tomorrow as planned, or tender into downtown Charlotte Amalie. He assured us that, whatever the outcome, we would have no difficulty docking in Port Everglades on Wednesday, as Port Everglades has very strong tugs and very competent tugmasters. Well, the tests indicated the thruster control mechanism is not fully operational, and so we will be tendering from the Emerald Princess into Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas tomorrow morning."

And here's a link to her blog if you want to read any follow up she might provide:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2014_03_15_archive.html?m=0

Thanks for the update!

Back in the old days, we sometimes tendered to downtown Charlotte Amalie and would enjoy having the opportunity to do so again. :)

LuLu

~~~

I used to make my husband wait with me and take the last tender back to the ship. I loved nothing better than being on the tender as the lights came on all over the hillside on St. Thomas as well as on the ship. It is still my favorite port for sail away. I sit on the back of the ship for as long as possible as the lights of the island fade away.

Looks like she's heading back to Port Everglades, not sure if there was supposed to be one more stop in Princess Cays or not...anyone on board have any update?

The itin was to be Princess Cays, then PE.....is the webcam is correct, it looks like they are missing their beach day.

Come join our Roll Call. We're a fun bunch!! :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1809909

According to PescadoAmarillo's blog (she's been on the Emerald since mid November) they attempted to fix the issue but were not totally successful. It looks like repairs will need to be completed in Port Everglades. It doesn't sound like it's a very serious problem but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Here is an excerpt from today's blog posting:

"Captain Stenzel announced, just before we left St. Kitts, that the problem had been worked on today, and we would notice that the ship would be doing some tests before we started to cruise north to St. Thomas. Based on the outcome of those tests, we would either dock at Crown Bay tomorrow as planned, or tender into downtown Charlotte Amalie. He assured us that, whatever the outcome, we would have no difficulty docking in Port Everglades on Wednesday, as Port Everglades has very strong tugs and very competent tugmasters. Well, the tests indicated the thruster control mechanism is not fully operational, and so we will be tendering from the Emerald Princess into Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas tomorrow morning."

And here's a link to her blog if you want to read any follow up she might provide:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2014_03_15_archive.html?m=0

Thank you, I'm desperately waiting for her next update!

Thank you, I'm desperately waiting for her next update!

Here you go:

Captain Stenzel announced that the technical department had worked on it all day, and that they believed that they had two of the six thrusters working. As the Emerald Princess was leaving St. Thomas, we would notice more tests being performed (we did). There was no announcement following that.

In his noon announcement, Captain Stenzel announced that the thruster issue had been fixed and all six thrusters are operational. Good news!

Thanks so much for taking the time to keep those of us on the next cruise updated. I really appreciate it.

Great news! Thanks for keeping us updated. We board in three weeks (from tomorrow). Is Kelvin Joy staying aboard through April or is he just replacing someone temporarily?

The cruise director thread had him on Emerald when we sail so I hope so. His morning show is hilarious.

The cruise director thread had him on Emerald when we sail so I hope so. His morning show is hilarious.

Jo, we should be receiving the email listing the Captain and Cruise Director very soon since we're only 3 weeks out. I did receive the one with the Hotel Manager and Maitre d', but that was in February.

However, I think it's a fairly safe bet it will be Captain Stenzel and Kelvin Joy.