Carnival waters down benefits again

teach&cruise

Just as with airlines, so too are cruise lines restructuring programs.

The root of the programs is to entice future cruises to keep ships full. Ships are already full (as too are airlines) so they are restructuring programs to make it harder to achieve. In the RCI boards, a poster there punted me to the fact that RCI ships sail at about 104% capacity (yes more than listed capacity due to various factors such as triples and quads) as it publishes in its 10k SEC filings.

Delta has announced that Next year it's going to a program to reward money spent, and other airlines (AA and United) have suggested they will follow.

No longer just points per mile flown or points per trip taken, they no longer need to drive people to fill seats as they are already full, they now need to drive revenue growth which will be achieved by implementing programs based on spend and getting people to PURCHASE first class rather than get a free upgrade.

Celebrity has done this by giving more points per night based on cabin category for example. Whereas if you used to sail exclusively in inside cabins, you could get elite just as fast as someone in a veranda cabin who may have paid 4 times the amount over those same years. Now an inside gets 1 point per night, the Penthouse, 18 per night towards status levels.

This is about the only thing that makes any sense - NCL has been doing the points vs cruise nights for a long time. However, at this time the market for cruising is down somewhat, so not all ships sail at 100% capacity - well at least not until they heavily discount the fares on them. Keep in mind too that a ship can sail at 100% and somewhat over capacity because of more people in a single cabin, who got their fares cheaper. But that is just the capacity set forth for earnings capability. The actual ship capacity can be about 10% higher (as far as safety concerns). Anyone who is part of the VIFP program only needs to see that it clearly says "Points" not days sailed. It also is listed with a two place decimal point which would probably mean it would include fractions of points perhaps by counting On Board Spend among other things. But again, speculation. Buying perks as most the airlines are already doing does make good revenue sense.

Since it's speculation I speculate the carnival will sell it's new sr plat Beirut for 65 bucks per cabin

It seems that everything is for sale at Carnival these days.

From my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk.

I wonder if this could be for those who reached the "Milestone" of 25 cruises and were given a white card every cruise after the 25th UNTIL the new program kicked in giving them back a Platinum card? Many have hit 25 cruise but not made it to Diamond yet. That would make a bit more sense. I also think they should look at the FTTF program and make it $50 for 2 people in a cabin and $25 for each additional person in a cabin. Priority debarkation has become a joke and sure isn't a nice perk anymore for Diamond and Platinum. Maybe that will be included and Diamond & Platinum will debark before FTTF giving back the perk they earned. But until Carnival makes an announcement everything is really just a rumor.

I wouldn't be happy about it. I took a mixture of 3-8 day cruises to make platinum but I'm not sure how many days I am at. Not 75 though maybe 55ish.

Priority embarkation and tendering are really the only perks that I care about.

It wouldn't make me not cruise CCL but then again, we were already booking on other lines.

Carnival is very frustrating with their loyalty program. I still like to cruise with them sometimes - especially with their extremely competitive pricing, but as far as trying to move up the tiers with their loyalty program, I feel like I am trying to run on a treadmill that is too fast for me.

I have fewer cruises on Royal, but feel more welcome with their loyalty program.

I'm with you..though I don't base my cruises on loyality, I do prefer RCI's program...I am Platinum on Carnival (10 cruise, 98 days) and Emerald on RCI (62 days)...since I am getting close to Diamond on RCI, and as a solo traveler, I now get double points for sailing solo, I will lean towards RCI. I much prefer free drinks nightly to free laundry, which I don't use. But it's a personal preference.

Though some are questioning the OP, I think it sounds very logical. I'm sure there will be something very similar coming out soon.

I am taking the Legend to Australia this year, and will probably look into the Vista TA in 2016. So I will continue to sail with Carnival.

Edited by crzndeb

I'm still waiting on the source of this information. Several posters have asked. OP please return with your source.

OP probably won't.

Been a member for 6 months and posted 7 times. Most of those posts were on the Princess board.

Not sure why some people feel the need to stir up trouble. :confused:

I think I read something about this in the FAQs. I think they should revisit the program. If someone got platinum by only taking 10 3day cruises and booked a inside cabin every time versus another person booking 10 7 night cruises in a balcony or suite. I don't think that's fair. They didn't spend near the same amount to both be considered platinum. I will be going on my four cruise and only my second with carnival. We look more at the itinerary and what the ship has to offer. But I'm not one to book the same cruise ship and same route over and over. I want to see all the ports of call. I purchased the FTTF for our Oct cruise and I'm very excited for the little perks because I will probably never be able to be a platinum member but I do like to feel pampered.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Wow...I'm am totally missing something..where are the FACTS about this latest "watering down" of cruise "benefits? I know the OP posted a credible confirmation of these changes....just wouldn't mind seeing them stated somewhere in addition to this factual source.

Wow...I'm am totally missing something..where are the FACTS about this latest "watering down" of cruise "benefits? I know the OP posted a credible confirmation of these changes....just wouldn't mind seeing them stated somewhere in addition to this factual source.

Where was the credible confirmation?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

OP probably won't.

Been a member for 6 months and posted 7 times. Most of those posts were on the Princess board.

Not sure why some people feel the need to stir up trouble. :confused:

Agreed. I noted the same thing. I think they love to watch the responses from all the posters myself. Kinda reminds me of the people who set fire to buildings and then watch all the people try and save it.

Edited by belkin

Not falling for it myself. So tired of some people on CC stating...something big is going to happen but I can't give proof or name my source.:rolleyes: Then there is always Carnival saying something big is going happen, will be announced next week, oops, I mean next year.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Over 100 days on Carnival so not even going to guess. I do like the free laundry and priority boarding and debarkation but find that now I will be sailing Princess due to prices and love it more. Will be Platinum on Princess after this year.:D

There is certainly precedent for this. A while back Carnival turned a bunch of its Gold members into Reds.

DH got caught up in that fiasco. I've got a Blue Card, a Gold Card, and a Red Card obtained in that exact order for him! :eek:

Never thought it was quite "right" that three 10 day cruises should get Platinum status. Days sailed seemed to be a bit more fair. Then again, I don't think you should be able to "buy" priority embark/debark for $50 per cabin. I also felt there was too big a spread between Platinum and Diamond in days. (I know some people think 75 days for Platinum from Gold is too many) Will be interested to see what JH says about this when he comes back from family time.

Never thought it was quite "right" that three 10 day cruises should get Platinum status. Days sailed seemed to be a bit more fair.

I agree. I never understood how someone who take 10 2 or 3-day cruises is equal to someone who takes 10 7-day cruises.

Before they changed the program, I repeatedly said they should make it more like HAL's, which is based on #nights sailed AND you get credit for on-board spending.

Anyway, I got to Platinum the old way, but I did it before they announced the changes. So, yes, I did mostly take 5 night cruises. But I'm now >100 nights (with a 7 and an 8 booked), so I wouldn't be at all against this change.

But, to be honest, once I get my Milestone cruise, I very likely will change to a different line. I'm taking #19 in May and #20 in November. It's likely I'll squeeze in another 5 nights sometime this year, if I can.

I own 100 shares of CCL and RCL. I'm thinking HAL and/or Celebrity will be more to my liking (I'll turn 62 this year, after all). But since I often sail solo, they'd better have some <200% supplements or I'll have to stick with whatever is cheapest! :(

I prefer HAL's system of awarding points by dollar spent. I always get an aftwrap suite and have sailed solo, paid for two, and received benefits for one. I like Carnival, but wish I received more benefits for purchasing a suite. I also never sail short cruises, I've now done five Carnival cruises and have 35 days. If Carnival awarded double points for the higher priced cabin I purchase, I would reach Platinum on my next cruise.

This.

Not falling for it myself. So tired of some people on CC stating...something big is going to happen but I can't give proof or name my source.:rolleyes: Then there is always Carnival saying something big is going happen, will be announced next week, oops, I mean next year.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Over 100 days on Carnival so not even going to guess. I do like the free laundry and priority boarding and debarkation but find that now I will be sailing Princess due to prices and love it more. Will be Platinum on Princess after this year.:D

I thought it was disgraceful that they promised us a new improved loyalty program and instead took stuff away from us platinums.

Would like to see improvements and it is a long way from 75 to 200 days.

Actually what I would really like to see is an imrpovement in their entertainment. Dont expect to go on another ship that has playlist and hasbro as their main entertainment.