It may be time to reconsider the all you can drink package...

missyoulikegravy

We never saw anything like that on Crown Princess either.

LuLu

~~~~

You should have been on her the week after! It was super bowl week...We saw a few smashed people, but we avoided the hotbed-the main pool on the Lido deck. Apparently there was a large crowd who were all getting smashed. I hear it got so bad 6 big guys were doing cannon balls in the pool.

If you avoided the lido deck, things were not so bad.

Of course, the bast part of the cruise was going to breakfast at 8:00am. The promenade deck was completely deserted. Breakfast was almost embarrassing because there were so few people in the MDR it was hard to seat people who wanted to share......

Things picked up around noon and went from there.

One evening there was a big part in one of the suites at the stern. People were having a "good time".

Someone else told me she was sleeping at about 2 am when people, obviously drunk, tried to enter her room because they had no idea where they were.

Then, on the last night we were relaxing in our room at about 9:30 when all of a sudden there was a great commotion and a lot of crashing next door and in the hall. Seem that these guys realized they had to get their bags out of the rooms. I don;t think some of them had even packed!

Edited by AKman2495

(And I know that the comment you were responding to was quite naive about the proliferation of drinks plans--but where did you come up with your "95%" statistic?)

95% was a complete guess on my part as I think it's only P&O and maybe Cunard that don't have them and honestly I'm not even sure about Cunard, I've never checked. Princess was the last of the mainstream lines to add one

We just got off a 9 day Carribbean sampler on the Ruby yesterday. On the first four day part of the cruise we witnessed some of the most ridiculous behaviour from the unlimited alcohol packages. We saw people puking in public areas to our dinner mates who were so drunk the jumped over a table and partition in the dining room. Now I know so many are able to manage their alcohol...but on the four day cruises it turns into an alcohol indused bender for many... Both my hubby and I are in our late 20s early 30s and consider ourselves open minded but it was a very interesting trip at times ...;)

An all you can drink alcohol package is a bad idea for the other passengers on the ship.

I recently returned from the 10-day Sapphire cruise and I didn't see any public drunkenness. The 3- and 4-day cruises might appeal to a different passenger than normally cruises Princess.

Something my sister observed is one man who had purchased a package going up to the bar every few minutes to order drinks for everyone at his table. He kept ordering until they all had a "free" drink.

FYI, the requirement that everyone in the cabin 21 and over had to purchase the card has been dropped from the final package. In other words, that requirement is not there. In the words of senior staff whom I asked specifically about this, "Princess has the best passengers and know that they'll be honorable." I guess not so much. :(

Pam, do you know if the requirement for everyone to purchase the package was dropped from all of the ships, or was it just on the Sapphire? We'll be on the Royal in 2 weeks and I can't drink alcohol due to medication I take, but my husband would love to get the package. I'm assuming we can just purchase it for him on the first day.

Personally, I don't understand the appeal of this package. I drink, and on occasion have been known to drink more than I should, but I can't fathom doing it 7 days in a row! Being hungover in my cabin isn't my idea of a good vacation. Besides, I'd rather save my calories for enjoying the food. :p

You should have been on her the week after! It was super bowl week...We saw a few smashed people, but we avoided the hotbed-the main pool on the Lido deck. Apparently there was a large crowd who were all getting smashed. I hear it got so bad 6 big guys were doing cannon balls in the pool.

If you avoided the lido deck, things were not so bad.

Of course, the bast part of the cruise was going to breakfast at 8:00am. The promenade deck was completely deserted. Breakfast was almost embarrassing because there were so few people in the MDR it was hard to seat people who wanted to share......

Things picked up around noon and went from there.

One evening there was a big part in one of the suites at the stern. People were having a "good time".

Someone else told me she was sleeping at about 2 am when people, obviously drunk, tried to enter her room because they had no idea where they were.

Then, on the last night we were relaxing in our room at about 9:30 when all of a sudden there was a great commotion and a lot of crashing next door and in the hall. Seem that these guys realized they had to get their bags out of the rooms. I don;t think some of them had even packed!

Seems we missed all of the excitement by having been on the two previous weeks. :D

Do you think it was because of the Alcohol Package of just something they would have done anyway?

LuLu

~~~

Pam, do you know if the requirement for everyone to purchase the package was dropped from all of the ships, or was it just on the Sapphire? We'll be on the Royal in 2 weeks and I can't drink alcohol due to medication I take, but my husband would love to get the package. I'm assuming we can just purchase it for him on the first day.

I can tell you for a fact that everyone in the cabin, over 21, had to buy the package just this past week on the Royal. So that is simply not true for that ship that it is only for one person. This is something that was stated right away when we bought the package.

We don't over drink whatsoever, and found that it worked fine for us, for the most part. The misnomer that everyone who buys it is over drinking and drunk is so not true at all.

On the Royal, it is only sold at the bar by the International Cafe and only on the first day that you board. They run the charge after 11:00 at night, so there is no Florida Sales tax added to the charge.

(And I know that the comment you were responding to was quite naive about the proliferation of drinks plans--but where did you come up with your "95%" statistic?)
That wasn't me. :)

"Pam, do you know if the requirement for everyone to purchase the package was dropped from all of the ships, or was it just on the Sapphire? We'll be on the Royal in 2 weeks and I can't drink alcohol due to medication I take, but my husband would love to get the package. I'm assuming we can just purchase it for him on the first day."

The implication was that as the package is rolled out, that would be the policy. Whether this is the case on all ships, I don't know.

Edited by Pam in CA

That wasn't me. :)

Of course not, Pam. I was referring to Cruise Junky's response to this:

It is surprising that Princess headquarters medical and legal staffs signed off on the "all you can drink" package. From a straight business perspective, the potential downside risk far outweighs any financial gain.

While the package may fit many responsible adults, not all who buy the package may be responsible adults. It would not take many incidents attributed to over-drinking that may involve injury or death to result in huge legal claims and this is a litigious society.

...where he rightly pointed out how prominent the drink packages already are throughout the cruise industry (and I added my .02 as to how sound the business model appears).

Of course not, Pam. I was referring to Cruise Junky's response to this:

...where he rightly pointed out how prominent the drink packages already are throughout the cruise industry (and I added my .02 as to how sound the business model appears).

She ;)

It has not been dropped, where did you hear that it was dropped from all ships?

It has not been dropped, where did you hear that it was dropped from all ships?
Keith, that's what an officer implied at our M&G on the Sapphire a couple of weeks ago. I asked him specifically whether that requirement is still in place. I don't know if this is the case but the implication is that this will be the policy.

An all you can drink alcohol package is a bad idea for the other passengers on the ship.

Not for those who can enjoy responsibly and would like to do so without worrying about paying here and paying there. I've done the math, and the drink package would definitely be something that DH and I would use and would benefit from. I can assure you that we don't get blotto... Unfortunately, they are not rolling it out on the Pacific Princess which we are on next month. :-(

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on a 4 day and 5 day back to back. The behaviour was worse on the 4 day for sure. They are definitely selling the package for the shorter cruises. It is an amazing deal for some--as it has coffee, bottled water and alcohol (under $10 per drink) included.

We had the 8:15 pm dining and after the first night the people around us complained about the people at our table-- we had a table for 8 with 4 of the people being guys in their late 20s. The dining staff really didn't know what to do about them at all--the head waiter was watching our table the following nights for any more crazy behaviour. But I don't think they are equipped for dealing with drunken behaviour in the main dining room.

Needless to say--I had a great cruise but the interesting moments tested my patience... However, we were on vacation so what is not to like...we tried to see the bright side of it all

Most interesting. We were on the 5 day/ 4 day (9 day total) Ruby Caribbean Sampler (our last 4 day part being the same as your 1st 4 day) that started on March 1st. I guess we missed all of that excitement because other than a lot of (more than on the 5 day segment) loud college kids on Spring Break we didn't see any of the puking or really obnoxious, drunken behavior. However, I am glad we missed it and, yes, it was a great cruise. :cool:

Edited by ar1950

FYI, the requirement that everyone in the cabin 21 and over had to purchase the card has been dropped from the final package. In other words, that requirement is not there. In the words of senior staff whom I asked specifically about this, "Princess has the best passengers and know that they'll be honorable." I guess not so much. :(

I hope so. I could see me getting my money's worth but not my husband and he wouldn't want to buy it.

The part that really bugs me about the program is the part about the kids in the cabin have to buy a package too. I can see it if the kid is older but I guarantee you that I will not buy a soda package for a child under 6 YO. I did buy the Ultimate card for my grandson because he does love his hot chocolate and his strawberry margaritas. My grand daughter is autistic. She drinks mostly water and occasionally will have half a glass of juice. The other two are just plain too young to drink soda at all. To force everyone in the cabin to buy a package is, for lack of a better word, stupid. What if you have a 6 month or toddler? They need to figure out something else for kids in the cabin.

Edited by notentirelynormal

What if you have a 6 month or toddler? They need to figure out something else for kids in the cabin.

I believe the plan, as originally conceived, did have a minimum age for which the UKP had to be purchased.

I believe the plan, as originally conceived, did have a minimum age for which the UKP had to be purchased.

Fine Print: Princess cruisers may purchase the package on seven-night or longer cruises. All passengers traveling in the same stateroom must purchase the package, and any children over 6 years old traveling with adults who purchase the package must also purchase the $8.05 per person/per day Unlimited Soda & More package.

Personally, I don't understand the appeal of this package. I drink, and on occasion have been known to drink more than I should, but I can't fathom doing it 7 days in a row!

7 plus drinks a day for the 7 days... :eek:

One would have to at least break even...

That is a LOT of drinkin

That is a LOT of drinkin

Remember it includes all specialty and brewed coffees as well as soda and bottled water. Plus for many of us, having a couple of glasses of wine at dinner, while adding to our alcohol intake :), is not the same as having two regular cocktails. Spread out over a day it's not that hard to get your money's worth without suffering the next day. Having said all that, I seriously doubt I would buy the package on a port intensive European itinerary.

That is a LOT of drinkin

There is such a misconception that everyone who purchases the drink package only drink alcoholic beverages all day long. If you add the price if specialty coffee, bottled water, soft drinks,and juice into the equation plus I understand that it also includes gelato it is very easy to spend $50 a day on beverages. Of course the plan isn't for everyone. If you can tolerate the coffee that comes out of the pipes and the unsweetened iced tea than the plan clearly isn't for you. I would never consider purchasing bottled water in the ship because it's a rip off. With the plan I drink water in my room and pack a bottle or two to take into port. On Celebrity they offer you water when you are leaving the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if you purchase this alchol package, there is no need to buy a coffee card? Brewed and specialty coffee's will be included with it? Is it the same for the soda or UKP? No need to purchase them either with the alchol package? What is the cost of the alchol package? thanks

So if you purchase this alchol package, there is no need to buy a coffee card? Brewed and specialty coffee's will be included with it? Is it the same for the soda or UKP? No need to purchase them either with the alchol package? What is the cost of the alchol package? thanks

That is correct.

$49 + 15% Gratuity = $56.35 per day

I'm a pretty tolerant person when it comes to other people's drunkenness, but I would have changed my table if my bonehead tablemates pulled this kind of crap. This sounds worse than the puking pole dancer we witnessed on NCL!! :eek::eek::eek:

Uh oh we may have already met.....lol:eek:

As I have mentioned on another similar thread, I just don't see the value. Our upcoming 17 night cruise would run us $1915.90. Too much alcohol, too many calories, drunk? hungover?, etc. Just not for us. We plan to bring on 6 bottles of wine and pay the surcharge for 4 of these. We will likely have one or two cocktails most nights and purchase the coffee cards. We will enjoy ourselves and not come near the sticker shock of the cost of this pkg. at the end of our cruise. As I've said, to each his own.