Port of Miami Nightmare-NCL Pls. Read

e2011

I posted my review of our Getaway cruise but this is a separate topic. The Port of Miami was a nightmare for parking. Based on this weeks adventure we may never take any cruise ship out of Miami again. We arrived at noon last Saturday for our departure on the Getaway. We live in Florida so drove as usual to the port. After we dropped off our luggage at Terminal C, I went to park in garage C and it was blocked off. There was a port parking attendant there and he said the garage was full and we needed to go down to garage G. G is the garage at the complete opposite end of the port as far away from NCL as possible…so I thought. As I was talking to the guy I saw 4 cars exit garage C opening 4 spaces. I pleaded with him to let us take one of those spots but he said he could not let anyone in until he got the "ok" from his boss. We had two carry on's and a 6 year old in tow. So we drove all the way down to garage G and guess what. They closed it as well. By now we had burned up 30 minutes driving around the ports slow moving traffic. So we drove back to garage C (where more cars were exiting) and the same port authority parking guy said "can't let you in, sorry". I told him garage G was full and he called someone on the radio and then his response was "you better hurry to garage J before they close it!! OMG! This is Miami, FL or Timbuktu? So we burn up another 20 minutes getting to garage J which is even further and near the RCCL headquarters and luckily found a spot. But then there was a crowd of at least 50 people, all on the Getaway, in line to prepay the cashier for the 7 days parking. One cashier. 50 people now running late for their cruise. See the picture here! Finally another guy came with a strongbox and said "I can take cash only". I jumped in front of him and gave him the cash so we could then get on a bus to take us back to Terminal C. We arrived at terminal C to drop bags at 12:00 and got on the ship at 1:30 all because of this nightmare. Then when we returned they told us to wait for the bus to take us back to garage J. After 40 minutes, no bus. We finally grabbed a taxi and I gave the guy a $20 to get us to garage J which he was happy to do. None if this is NCL's fault but it will cost them business in the future. I will not go back to that port until they build more garage space to handle these bigger ships. The Port of Miami is a small time, outdated and overgrown disaster. From now on its Ft. Lauderdale or Port Canaveral for us.

Edited by e2011

Maybe park somewhere else in Miami, like remote parking at the airport and either take a cab or a NCL airport to port transfer? Or, arrive a day early and stay at a hotel that allows week long parking, and cab it?

And, sorry... Forgot to say your experience must have been so stressful; sorry you had to go through that. I would have been a wreck too. Our worst embarkation ever was NCL Jewel outside in a hot tent. There are a lot of nice cruises out of Miami so guess I would just avoid their parking.

There isn't much other "good" parking in Miami though. Consider that parking at Port of Miami is $20 per night. Not too many stay and cruise places near the port (and the cost would be excessive, not anything like port canaveral, etc., because the base rate without a room, just for a car, at the port is going to be $140).

Only a couple of third party parking lots and they use confusing similar names; one is "meh" the other is poorly run and operated.

I think the OP makes a good point; there has been a recent influx of some pretty large barges at POM and perhaps the infrastructure is being pushed too much right now. I wouldn't rule out the port entirely, but forewarned is forearmed.

None if this is NCL's fault ...

Sorry you had that stressful experience but since you even wrote that none of this is NCL's fault, why did you put NCL in the topic in the first place? To be honest this post doesn't have anything to do specifically with NCL - surely all other ships' passengers had the same problem - and should have been posted to Florida depatures board instead of here.

If this is a regular issue, I am sure the port and the cruiselines are all aware of the problem. Especially the port as they are the ones that close the lots.

....One cashier. 50 people now running late for their cruise. ... We arrived at terminal C to drop bags at 12:00 and got on the ship at 1:30...

As to running late for the cruise - I am confused as you still arrived at the terminal at 12:00 and onboard at 1:30.

Sorry it all started out rough though.

Edited by garycarla

I used Miami last year. parked off site and shuttled in and out.

no problem as they drop you right by the entrance to your terminal.

its not NCL at fault here - its an undercapacity in parking.

They have 2 ways to change it - charge more to force people not to park there (that's me) or build more parking - maybe they will do this. who knows.

bigger ships = more people parking. its not rocket science.

so hopefully people will take notice and park elsewhere - or get there earlier.

I'll be parking offsite in Miami when I cruise later this year.

Sorry you had that stressful experience but since you even wrote that none of this is NCL's fault, why did you put NCL in the topic in the first place? To be honest this post doesn't have anything to do specifically with NCL - surely all other ships' passengers had the same problem - and should have been posted to Florida depatures board instead of here.

Because I am hoping NCL people read this thread and can be made aware of the situation that negatively affected one of their customers. Perhaps NCL would consider moving some of their ships to Ft. Lauderdale in the future.

Edited by e2011

We booked a fly and go package, staying at the Holiday Inn, Miami International Airport. Price includes 7 days free parking, remaining days $5 per day.

Parking at the cruise terminal is like taking out a mortgage on your house.

Cost $20 per day. That is obscene.

http://cruisesfrommiami.us/Resources/Parking.aspx

I posted my review of our Getaway cruise but this is a separate topic. The Port of Miami was a nightmare for parking. Based on this weeks adventure we may never take any cruise ship out of Miami again. We arrived at noon last Saturday for our departure on the Getaway. We live in Florida so drove as usual to the port. After we dropped off our luggage at Terminal C, I went to park in garage C and it was blocked off. There was a port parking attendant there and he said the garage was full and we needed to go down to garage G. G is the garage at the complete opposite end of the port as far away from NCL as possible…so I thought. As I was talking to the guy I saw 4 cars exit garage C opening 4 spaces. I pleaded with him to let us take one of those spots but he said he could not let anyone in until he got the "ok" from his boss. We had two carry on's and a 6 year old in tow. So we drove all the way down to garage G and guess what. They closed it as well. By now we had burned up 30 minutes driving around the ports slow moving traffic. So we drove back to garage C (where more cars were exiting) and the same port authority parking guy said "can't let you in, sorry". I told him garage G was full and he called someone on the radio and then his response was "you better hurry to garage J before they close it!! OMG! This is Miami, FL or Timbuktu? So we burn up another 20 minutes getting to garage J which is even further and near the RCCL headquarters and luckily found a spot. But then there was a crowd of at least 50 people, all on the Getaway, in line to prepay the cashier for the 7 days parking. One cashier. 50 people now running late for their cruise. See the picture here! Finally another guy came with a strongbox and said "I can take cash only". I jumped in front of him and gave him the cash so we could then get on a bus to take us back to Terminal C. We arrived at terminal C to drop bags at 12:00 and got on the ship at 1:30 all because of this nightmare. Then when we returned they told us to wait for the bus to take us back to garage J. After 40 minutes, no bus. We finally grabbed a taxi and I gave the guy a $20 to get us to garage J which he was happy to do. None if this is NCL's fault but it will cost them business in the future. I will not go back to that port until they build more garage space to handle these bigger ships. The Port of Miami is a small time, outdated and overgrown disaster. From now on its Ft. Lauderdale or Port Canaveral for us.

Just like shopping at the mall at Xmas. Scouts motto "is be prepared"

Because I am hoping NCL people read this thread and can be made aware of the situation that negatively affected one of their customers. Perhaps NCL would consider moving some of their ships to Ft. Lauderdale in the future.

Unrealistic to ask cruise lines to just up and move for the sake of a couple parking spots really!

Maybe look at parking further away and taking a cab the the pier, much cheaper than moving a ship.

Edited by Ilovesailing

Sorry to hear about your frustrations at the port. Unfortunately it is not a surprise. I live a hop skip and jump from the port and would never drive and park there. There is a reason that cruise industry staff vote Miami their least favorite port.

Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale) is actually a bigger port than Miami now. Many cruise lines don't want to deal with Miami and port their ships in Ft Lauderdale. The port of Miami has always been a mess. I only sail from it because I live here.

But everything in Miami is run like the port so it is no surprise

When we choose a cruise the port is a very important consideration. We live on the west side of Florida and would much prefer to cruise from Ft. Lauderdale or Tampa. The third party lots at Miami are not very good but they are what we and our neighbors use.

Ron

I wonder if there is a list somewhere of all the cruise lines and ships that homeport out of Miami... I imagine that it would be quite a list.

I ask because of future plans I've read recently. Along with the NCL Escape planning to homeport there, I thought I read that Costa plans to return to Miami with 2 ships sometime over the next few years. Unless there are current plans for improvements to the Port of Miami, I don't see the parking problem getting any easier, and parking away from the port will eventually become an issue.

The only port improvement project I have read about for Florida involves Port Canaveral, but I don't remember reading about additional parking. Also, if I remember correctly, Port Canaveral isn't the easiest port for parking now. The NCL Spirit will eventually move there for a while, so we'll see what the situation is like there from folks leaving from Port Canaveral.

My mother lives down in southeast Florida, and has taken dozens of cruises over the years, but has never been on an NCL ship. She likes to leave out of Fort Lauderdale, but no NCL ships homeport there. She's heard all the horror stories and will not do the Port of Miami.

Edited by rpb718

I wonder if there is a list somewhere of all the cruise lines and ships that homeport out of Miami... I imagine that it would be quite a list.

I ask because of future plans I've read recently. Along with the NCL Escape planning to homeport there, I thought I read that Costa plans to return to Miami with 2 ships sometime over the next few years. Unless there are current plans for improvements to the Port of Miami, I don't see the parking problem getting any easier, and parking away from the port will eventually become an issue.

The only port improvement project I have read about for Florida involves Port Canaveral, but I don't remember reading about additional parking. Also, if I remember correctly, Port Canaveral isn't the easiest port for parking now. The NCL Spirit will eventually move there for a while, so we'll see what the situation is like there from folks leaving from Port Canaveral.

My mother lives down in southeast Florida, and has taken dozens of cruises over the years, but has never been on an NCL ship. She likes to leave out of Fort Lauderdale, but no NCL ships homeport there. She's heard all the horror stories and will not do the Port of Miami.

Surprisingly there are some major cruise lines that don't sail from Miami or just started with one ship. Disney just started sailing from Miami with one ship...and it was one of their oldest ones. Holland of America does not sail from Miami. Royal sails a few ships but very old ones. They launch their new ships in Ft Lauderdale and other ports. Carnival has a good fleet in Miami but if it was not for the Breeze, all of them would be very old ships. Cruise lines know the hassle the port of Miami is. I wont even bring up the port tunnel (local story) but the traffic, parking and general areas are not as good as other ports. NCL really keeps the port of Miami very fresh with new ships.

Because I am hoping NCL people read this thread and can be made aware of the situation that negatively affected one of their customers.

This is not a NCL feedback forum, if you have something you want to tell them, contact them directly.

This is not a NCL feedback forum, if you have something you want to tell them, contact them directly.

OP, thanks for posting. I understand your motivation for sharing. Some posters think they are moderators. A lot of people gave good ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would call your situation a inconvenience, not a nightmare. You were most likely delayed about 45 minutes total. You have to figure the wait in line at most cruise ports is 1/2 hour plus, and 10-15 minutes parking. If you ever decide to fly anywhere, be prepared, the real nightmare lurks!

Actually, the earlier poster is correct. This is not a forum for feedback to NCL.

And, the next poster is correct in that a lot of people have great ideas.

And, the OP is correct in letting others be aware of difficult parking in Miami.

OP, thanks for posting. I understand your motivation for sharing. Some posters think they are moderators. A lot of people gave good ideas.

While you apparently feel the need to guess other people's motives, OP clearly stated that their objective was to give feedback to NCL and while NCL has employees reading this board, this is not the right place to do so. This is a discussion board about NCL - not a feedback channel for the corporation itself - and even OP themselves admitted that any part of the problem they had wasn't caused by NCL so this is not a NCL related discussion, it's POM related discussion and there is a better place for it in CC.

NCL has made long contracts for the new ships being homeported in POM so the issue is not whether NCL should move because that is not possible in next few years, but that POM should improve the parking situation because that actually might be possible.

Edited by Demonyte

Again OP, thank you for the post. I've never had an issue with the POM however friends of mine have so I do see how the size of theses new ships has the infrastructure overwhelmed. Just one tip, check on cruisett's website to see how many ships are in port the day you leave. Could help in the decision making process on when to arrive or were to park....GO GATORS

Edited by miataman19

While you apparently feel the need to guess other people's motives, OP clearly stated that their objective was to give feedback to NCL and while NCL has employees reading this board, this is not the right place to do so. This is a discussion board about NCL - not a feedback channel for the corporation itself - and even OP themselves admitted that any part of the problem they had wasn't caused by NCL so this is not a NCL related discussion, it's POM related discussion and there is a better place for it in CC.

NCL has made long contracts for the new ships being homeported in POM so the issue is not whether NCL should move because that is not possible in next few years, but that POM should improve the parking situation because that actually might be possible.

How many threads on this forum are NCL feedback related? I think, A LOT. You are correct that they should contact NCL directly, but posting here as well can be a warning to others about the parking. So maybe both?

We've always parked at the Miami port and never had a problem with a parking garage being full or even finding a spot.

However, we always arrive early (10 - 10:30 AM). Perhaps that's the secret.

There is a site and I use it for all cruises all ports just to get a handle on many ships/passengers coming and going.

Here is a link:

http://cruisett.com/content.php?