Captain's Club Gelato

heathluvsing

You get a coupon for one free gelato per cruise. I wish it was per day,

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Me too!!:) I'm planning to use my husband's coupon too!:cool:

Edited by drarill

italian word for ice cream=gelato :) That´s all.

Basically, you pay for the venue and experience.

If Gelato is made the Italian way there is a difference;

Gelato (Italian pronunciation: [dʒeˈlaːto]; plural: gelati) is the Italian word for ice cream, derived from the Latin word "gelātus" (meaning frozen). In English it generally refers to varieties of ice cream made in a traditional Italian style. Gelato is made with milk, cream, various sugars, and flavoring such as fresh fruit and nut purees.[1]

Gelato is a type of soft ice cream containing a relatively small amount of air.[2] By statute, gelato in Italy must have at least 3.5% butterfat, with no upper limit established.

Ice cream is usually harder. If you have had good Gelato, you won't go back to ice cream:D

Dave

italian word for ice cream=gelato :) That´s all.

Basically, you pay for the venue and experience.

That is so not true, gelato is Latin for frozen and that's where the similarities end :D

This gives a better explanation than I ever could

http://cookingequipment.about.com/od/icecreammachines/f/gelatovicecream.htm

EDIT I see Dave has beaten me to it.

Edited by dwhe

The fact that Gelato is served softer and has less air, makes it taste a lot richer. They also have some really awesome flavors.

Some places use eggs in their recipe and then it tastes like custard:)

However, there are a lot of places in the States that don't know how to make it, and then it tastes like ice cream:(

I don't remember if the gelato at Cafe el Bacio is good. Maybe someone who has had some recently can add a comment.

Dave

As anyone that has had Gelato in San Gimignano's town square will tell you :p

Yes, I've had it there at the place with the World Famous Gelato, but it was no where near as good as the Lemon Gelato we had in the little town square area of Ravello. Out of this world. Not at all what you would expect from a citrus flavor. If you're ever there you must get it.

Never had it on a Celebrity ship but I will this fall with the coupon.

The gelato at Cafe al Bacio is very good but doesn't taste near as good as the gelato in Italy. We do prefer the gelato at al Bacio vs the free ice cream onboard by far. I think the free ice cream is horrible but taste is subject and the long lines for the ice cream proves that.

What's the difference between that gelato and the buffet ice cream?

Gelato I believe is creamier than ice cream? I'm not sure but it's SO good.

We make it a point to stop at certain gelato places in Europe, they are so tasty. Very flavorful. Nothing like the flavors of ice cream in my opinion.

Edited by ariawoman

I found this:

Compared to today's American-style ice cream (that's one made with egg yolks, as is basically the new standard in home recipes and commercial products), gelato has less fat in the base and less air churned into it during the freezing process. American ice creams are heavy on the cream, and have a fat content, by American labeling law, of at least 10% (considerably higher in most homemade and many premium versions). Gelato, by comparison, uses more milk than cream, so it doesn't have nearly as much fat. Additionally, it usually—but not always—uses fewer (to the point of none) egg yolks, another source of fat in custard-based ice creams.

I paid for a gelato once onboard and will not again. Yes I will eat my free one. I just didn't find that there was much flavor. But .. I love the buffet ice cream and sorbets

If you put a few types of ice cream and gelatos in bowls and let them melt you will find that the cheap ones produce a lot of foam wit a little liquid and the good ones melt into a creamy liquid

Hello,

As a Captain's Club member you get free gelato. It seems like the wording has recently changed which has brought confusion.

Is it one free gelato per day or per cruise?

Thanks!

We did not get a gelato coupon on our Equinox sailing in January. I am not sure if anyone else has experienced this. If you don't get it then you can speak with the Captain's Club Host.