72 hour, slow cooked braised short ribs.

AWED23

Can someone who has had this item served to them give a revue as to their quality and desirability?...At which dining venue did you have them?....This intrigues me as I really enjoy braised short ribs, bone-in or boneless, I like them all! Any revues of this specific menu item will be appreciated. Thank You, Rob. :D

Can someone who has had this item served to them give a revue as to their quality and desirability?...At which dining venue did you have them?....This intrigues me as I really enjoy braised short ribs, bone-in or boneless, I like them all! Any revues of this specific menu item will be appreciated. Thank You, Rob. :D

We had them as part of the La Reserve meal. They were very good but I don't know where the 72 hours plays in. I am by no means a gourmet cook but my short ribs are just as good after braising 4 hours. I also saw them on the menu in the GDR. Go for it - they are worth it.

We had them as part of the La Reserve meal. They were very good but I don't know where the 72 hours plays in. I am by no means a gourmet cook but my short ribs are just as good after braising 4 hours. I also saw them on the menu in the GDR. Go for it - they are worth it.

Thank You for the quick reply Terrier. If I understand correctly you had them in La Reserve and also saw the on the menu for the GDR ???....Rob:)

I had them in the GDR on Riviera last month. I am not a picky eater and loved loved loved nearly everything about the food on Oceania. However, these ribs were way too fatty and I found the sauce pretty tasteless. Indeed it is the one and only (far) less than terrific main course I remember from the cruise.:(

Thank You for the quick reply Terrier. If I understand correctly you had them in La Reserve and also saw the on the menu for the GDR ???....Rob:)

Yes - we saw them in the GDR but did not order them since my husband liked mine better than the ones we had in La Reserve. Agree with other poster that they were somewhat fatty but still good.

Yes - we saw them in the GDR but did not order them since my husband liked mine better than the ones we had in La Reserve. Agree with other poster that they were somewhat fatty but still good.

:confused: There must be some confusion...

As something of an amateur chef, myself, I can tell you that nothing which has been braised for 72 hours could ever have ANY discernible fat on it.

It would long since have melted into the meat.

The whole idea behind the long cooking process is that any fat or connective tissue in the Short Ribs dissolve into collagen which is a natural tenderizer.

:confused: There must be some confusion...

As something of an amateur chef, myself, I can tell you that nothing which has been braised for 72 hours could ever have ANY discernible fat on it.

It would long since have melted into the meat.

The whole idea behind the long cooking process is that any fat or connective tissue in the Short Ribs dissolve into collagen which is a natural tenderizer.

Exactly. That's why I questioned the "72 hours".

Your point about the expected lack of fat or connective tissue makes sense to me. But I can definitely confirm that the fat/connective tissue was ever present in my GDR main course.:confused:

Edited by edgee
spelling

I made 72-hour short ribs at home about two weeks ago but used a Sansaire sous vide immersion circulator set at 135°F and then finished them on a hot grill for 5 minutes with some BBQ sauce. I don't know what would happen if you tried to traditionally braise them for that long but I suspect that you might well end up with pulled beef floating in melted fat and collagen. The meat was medium (pink) and as tasty and tender as I've ever eaten but the texture is a bit different. The connective tissue pretty much either melted out or tenderized nicely but much of the fat was still "whole" (easily removed/discarded). I may make them again but will probably cook them for 36-48 hours instead of 72 - I like my short ribs with a little more "tooth."

Edited by Ka Honu

The chef that created the 72 hour rib recipe is Michel Richard for his now closed Citronelle restaurant in Washington DC. I have made this recipe at home from his cookbook. It's quite expensive to make if you use good wine to make it with. It requires cooking twice and marinading in wine. The time from start to finish is 72 hours but includes marinading time. I tried to find the recipe on line as it is in his cookbook but can't find it.

The chef that created the 72 hour rib recipe is Michel Richard for his now closed Citronelle restaurant in Washington DC. I have made this recipe at home from his cookbook. It's quite expensive to make if you use good wine to make it with. It requires cooking twice and marinading in wine. The time from start to finish is 72 hours but includes marinading time. I tried to find the recipe on line as it is in his cookbook but can't find it.

Try Star chefs.com for Citronella 72 hr. Short ribs. It comes right up.

DH and I were on Riviera in January. We had the short ribs at lunch. I remember that we sat outside. I usually like all food served, but was also a bit disappointed with the short ribs. Fatty and the sauce was bland. Both of us were really disappointing since they looked so good. I must say that all of the other food was delicious.

o

I don't believe the 72 hr braised short ribs have ever been served at lunch. I have had them twice in the Terrace Buffet and once at the same LaReserve dinner that newbie60 was on.. The ones at LaReserve were not ok but not great.

The ones in the Terrace- also served in GDR were amazing. The chef said they were cooked sous vide at 55degrees for 72 hrs. I'm not a fan of fat and didn't see any. They were the highlight meal on our first cruise and were just as good on second cruise. I'm on the Riviera now and looking forward to having them again. So much so that if it conflicts with a specialty restaurant booking, I will cancel the specialty restaurant.

CJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awed,

If I remember, I will snap a picture and post it this week when they have it on the menu.

CJ

Things may vary when prepared by a different cook on a different ship on a different day ;)

We have had a dish we enjoyed on one ship but on another ship the same dish was not so great

DH had great chicken Satay in the Terrace in Red Ginger the chicken satay was raw

Different cook, different day :D

I don't believe the 72 hr braised short ribs have ever been served at lunch. I have had them twice in the Terrace Buffet and once at the same LaReserve dinner that newbie60 was on.. The ones at LaReserve were not ok but not great. ..
The 72-hr braised short ribs were served as the carvery of the day at lunch in Terrace Cafe on Riviera a few weeks ago. I thought it was just OK and was happy that I didn't have a full-sized portion. I was expecting moist and succulent but my piece was dry and tasteless. But Franck's mashed potatoes with gravy was killer!

We were served the braised Rib at LaReserve and raved about it. This year on Riviera it was served in the Terrace and we were not impressed at all. As Lyn mentioned..could be the chefs or perhaps the volume/venue. Won't stop me from trying it again .

"Citronella 72-hour short ribs." [sic]

Obviously superior to Citronelle restaurant's version. Not only delicious but also keeps mosquitoes away! (;>)

The picture above is the short rib served on Oceania. Are you saying that it is the same as the "Citronella" version?

CJ