Quantum North Star

I just don't get the appeal of the the North Star observation feature on the Quantum and the Anthem. First of all, it makes the ships look like some seagoing construction vehicle or commercial freighter with a crane to hoist cargo containers.

Second, when one is in the North Star observation pod (or whatever it is called), what exactly do you observe? Oh yeah, THE OCEAN. Last cruise I took I could do that by just going over to the railing on the pool deck or my balcony and see the same thing. It's not as if I am looking at the Grand Canyon or the skyline of Manhattan. I just don't get it.

I just don't get the appeal of the the North Star observation feature on the Quantum and the Anthem. First of all, it makes the ships look like some seagoing construction vehicle or commercial freighter with a crane to hoist cargo containers.

Second, when one is in the North Star observation pod (or whatever it is called), what exactly do you observe? Oh yeah, THE OCEAN. Last cruise I took I could do that by just going over to the railing on the pool deck or my balcony and see the same thing. It's not as if I am looking at the Grand Canyon or the skyline of Manhattan. I just don't get it.

Hello to the land of Shenendehowa!

Agree 100%. A goofy gimmick of what you can see from hundreds of locations on the ship already. But you can see more than the ocean from the escape pod; you can see THE SHIP, too!!!

You dont get it but I guarantee you it will stay full

Remember the Quantum class of ships are designed to sail the Caribbean, Alaska, Europe, many places where there are great birds eye views! Just think being in NorthStar in Bayonne, NJ and seeing all of Manhattan or the Statue of Liberty. ;)

It is not one of those things that you would book a cruise for but RCI keeps finding ways to provide us with an opportunity to have experiences at sea not available on other cruise lines. I for one appreciate their thinking out of the box.

I sure hope they put baggies in there; it may be called the Vomit Comet in short order! The higher you go the more amplified even the slightest movement becomes. Add to that moving up, down, in / out, etc., it could be dizzying.

I sure hope they put baggies in there; it may be called the Vomit Comet in short order! The higher you go the more amplified even the slightest movement becomes. Add to that moving up, down, in / out, etc., it could be dizzying.

NorthStar will have a stabilizing system that will keep the gondola level, minimizing movement. NorthStar will also have two large power units each with the capability to independently drive the crane and a diesel driven emergency power pack.

See more here: http://www.ship-technology.com/news/newsmacgregor-to-equip-quantum-cruise-ship-with-crane-gondola-for-360-degree-sea-view

Edited by Tyler80
Included link to NorthStar Manufacture

Surely it would used in ports as well. Imagine that in a busy cruise port aerial shot of the other ships / harbour etc..

I did read in some promo bumf that Northstar will be operational both at sea and in port.

I must like gimmicks coz I can't wait to have a shot on it.

Remember the Quantum class of ships are designed to sail the Caribbean, Alaska, Europe, many places where there are great birds eye views! Just think being in NorthStar in Bayonne, NJ and seeing all of Manhattan or the Statue of Liberty. ;)

That may sound exciting to you since you are in Michigan, but I live 40 minutes from Bayonne. I've seen that view from Manhattan, from my college dorm room years and years ago (the best view ever of NY City to date), and from the Statue of Liberty countless times. Nothing new for me.

So, you might say why did I book the Quantum? A cheap, relatively speaking when I booked ions ago, Caribbean vacation with less hassle than flying and with other friends. I've been to all the islands, so getting off the ship is not a priority.

And, now with the new Dynamic Dining and all the advance reservation planning that is involved on my so-called "stress free cruise vacation", I'm not so sure experiencing the NorthStar is worth it!

I'm booked for now....who knows how it will play out....

As a test, with over 3000 guests on board, and the North Star occupancy of 14 including an operator I presume, doing the math leads me to believe that not only will you not do it twice on a cruise, it is highly probable that you will not get to do it even once, even if it operates 24 hours a day, and only takes 30 seconds to make a journey. And I would imagine that if there are lots of kids on board, that they would want to live on it. It will be interesting to see how RCCL handles this issue.:cool:

I think someone at Royal has wanted something like this for some time. Anyone else remember when they tested an aerostat during the Oasis sea trials in the Baltic? That didn't end well as its tether broke. At least Northstar is firmly attached to the ship.

Surely it would used in ports as well. Imagine that in a busy cruise port aerial shot of the other ships / harbour etc..

I think it would be cool as heck to say be in port in St. Maarten and have a Carnival ship across the pier from us and go up in the North Star and be hovering over them and looking down at their pool deck!!:eek::cool::D

Keith

I think it would be cool as heck to say be in port in St. Maarten and have a Carnival ship across the pier from us and go up in the North Star and be hovering over them and looking down at their pool deck!!:eek::cool::D

Keith

If the windows could open, just think how much RCI could make charging for water balloons! :D

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

It is not one of those things that you would book a cruise for but RCI keeps finding ways to provide us with an opportunity to have experiences at sea not available on other cruise lines. I for one appreciate their thinking out of the box.

My sentiments exactly! Also, as a professed photo junkie I can't wait to get some pics from the North star! :)

I don't get the appeal of Studio B, the Flow Rider, the Sports Court or the overpriced Spa. I mean, why would anyone want to play basketball in the middle of the ocean - you can play basketball ANYWHERE. Other than the fact that it's something that someone other than ME would want to do (for whatever strange reason) I just don't see the reason for having any of these things. Vacations are supposed to be about relaxing. Not running from pillar to post.

That may sound exciting to you since you are in Michigan, but I live 40 minutes from Bayonne. I've seen that view from Manhattan, from my college dorm room years and years ago (the best view ever of NY City to date), and from the Statue of Liberty countless times. Nothing new for me.

I live in Houston. I see people ice skate indoors all the time at the Galleria. Nothing new for me.

I suppose some of the other 3000 - 4000 other passengers might want to do some of these things. Which could help spread people out around the ship, seeing there's only so many chairs they can place around the pool. Maybe.

Speaking of which, I don't get the pool either. My apartment complex has way nicer pools than those onboard. Sitting by the pool is something I can literally do at home. Why would I do that on a ship?

LOL!!!!

I am a bit late to the dance…. as I am just starting to consider the Quantum or Anthem. Is there a charge for the North Star, and if so, has RCCL announced it?

Thanks, m

Generally no charge. But I believe sunrise and sunset rides will have a charge. Also groups and special occasion lifts will be available for a charge. Price not available now.