my passport expires the day before my cruise

billy10

my cruise is in two weeks on breeze can I use my birth certificate? Thanks

As long as your cruise is a closed-loop cruise (beginning and ending in the same US port, on the same ship), the minimum requirement for ID is a certified birth certificate (not the hospital issued one), and (for those 16 and over) a government-issued photo ID.

Make sure your Birth Certificate is an original (raised seal) and not a copy.

While the original is the better choice the regulations do allow a copy to be used and not all states issue birth certificates with raised seals (and that requirement is not in the regs in any case). I only mention it because people need to be aware of what alternatives are available in a pinch (for instance if you forget your birth certificate at home).

The passport needs to be valid for 6 months after the cruise. If it is a closed loop cruise, then an original birth certificate and government picture ID will work.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx?icid=HSiteSearchPassport

The 6 months past your cruise requirement is basically only applicable to cruises in Europe. In the Caribbean, as long as the passport is valid through your disembarkation date, it's good.

In that link Carnival "recommends" a passport (good for up to 6 months after cruise), but it's not a requirement.

...As another poster said, without a passport, you'll need an "official" birth certificate and a government issued photo ID such as your drivers license.

...A Western Hemisphere closed-end loop cruise (begins and ends in the same port) at the present time, does not need a passport.

...As others will say, yes, it is a good idea to posses a valid passport while traveling to foreign countries, and I agree. But to answer the OP's question, you will be allowed to board with the required paperwork mentioned above.

As long as your cruise is a closed-loop cruise (beginning and ending in the same US port, on the same ship), the minimum requirement for ID is a certified birth certificate (not the hospital issued one), and (for those 16 and over) a government-issued photo ID.

I agree with this statement IF you're a US citizen.

Does your state issue the "enhanced" driver's license? If so, this is the only document you will need for a closed loop Western Hemisphere cruise.

Does your state issue the "enhanced" driver's license? If so, this is the only document you will need for a closed loop Western Hemisphere cruise.

DW and I just obtained ours and it's too bad that more states don't issue them. It is one document that we carry with us all of the time anyway and it provides the documentation for all of our current travel needs.

While the original is the better choice the regulations do allow a copy to be used and not all states issue birth certificates with raised seals (and that requirement is not in the regs in any case). I only mention it because people need to be aware of what alternatives are available in a pinch (for instance if you forget your birth certificate at home).

Thanks for making note of this. I just ordered new birth certificates for the three of us and CA., Iowa and WA only use the special paper and no raised seals. Getting updated passports when we get home from this trip....so much easier.

The passport needs to be valid for 6 months after the cruise. If it is a closed loop cruise, then an original birth certificate and government picture ID will work.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx?icid=HSiteSearchPassport

We sailed on the Valor January 19-26, our passports expired February 8, nothing was said about it. When we disembarked. the customs agent asked us if we knew they expired in two weeks, that's it.

\\

We are in our 80s; and our passports expire in Nov 2014

If I understand what you are saying we don't have to renew the expensive

passports, but can use our enhanced drivers licensed instead?

dot

\\

dot

Yes, for a closed loop cruise, an enhanced driver's license is sufficient, as it provides photo ID and proof of citizenship. This is what is called a WHTI acceptable document (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative for land and sea travel, not international air).

Yes, for a closed loop cruise, an enhanced driver's license is sufficient, as it provides photo ID and proof of citizenship. This is what is called a WHTI acceptable document (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative for land and sea travel, not international air).

Thanks that sounds great HAPPY CRUISING

\\

dot

EDL's are issued in Vermont, New York, Michigan, Washington (state) and Minnesota. I only point this out because of your location (Florida).