On to a new cruise line

brentconn

Kmkub.....the cruise we did just before the Ruby was the Oasis of the Seas. All I will say is we will never sail Royal Caribbean again!

You should not judge RCCL by the Displacement of the Seas.

A ship more equivalent to the Princess experience would be in their Voyager class.

We keep meaning to try another line, but we love Princess so much, we just keep booking with them. We will likely try a shorter cruise out of FLL for another line at some point. (Maybe the Oasis or Allure?)

I've cruised 5 lines and so far, I have found Princess and RCI to be the 2 most similar lines.

Oasis Class is in a league of her own and while it's not for all, most people love it. Give it a try. It you like Broadway entertainment and awe inspiring ships, it won't disappoint you.

We took our first cruise on the Carnival Dream with two 16 year old kids 3 weeks ago. We now know that we really love cruises! We learned a lot on what we would do differently on our next cruise. This time it will only be me and my wife. After some research and a chat with our travel agent, we are looking into the Ruby Princess. If anyone has cruised on this ship I would appreciate any tips, info, advice etc..

thanks!

Brent

Make sure you try the International Cafe, a lovely spot in the piazza for yummy pastries and other little noshes (included in fare). Also, the Adagio lounge, up next to Sabatini's is a wonderful quiet piano lounge. Enjoy the Ruby!

Princess has one of the best loyalty programs out there. The more you cruise with them, the more benefits you receive.

Compared to Carnival, Princess appeals to a more mature crowd, good for couples without children. That being said, they have a wonderful youth and teen program.

We've found the entertainment to be very good, with something for everyone.

Consult with a good TA, who can point out the pros and cons of each cruise line and what might suit you best.

Also looking at the Ruby for the next one too...

The DW and I don't sail during school holidays, and we've found Princess to be as relaxing or as active as we choose to be(depending on our mood).

Whether, after dinner in the MDR, Horizon Court or at one of the specialty restaurants, it's hitting up the Explorer's Lounge for a nightclub act and/or the theater for a show.....Or perhaps just sitting on the padded deck chairs on the Lido taking in a Movie Under The Stars w/ a bag of popcorn in hand.

We found Princess first, and while we will eventually also check out other lines to try some variety, Princess provides a pretty good product that we've grown to become familiar with.

IMO, I think the OP was saying they had a great time on their first cruise & found cruising & Carnival to be a good fit for their teenage children. But this time just the two of them are cruising & they are trying Princess because they have probably heard that it is geared more to adults. ( I don't know what a la carte means either). Likewise, we find Carnival, with the theme, having FUN & Fast to the Fun, & all the other activities geared to "fun", & the "fun" ships, a wonderful choice for the many family cruises we have taken on Carnival with our adult children, grand and great grandchildren. We have found that there is a much younger group of passengers on Carnival & our grand children make tons of friends.

On the other hand when cruising by ourselves or with our Cruising friends, we enjoy Princess immensely especially because of their superb loyalty program. But the OP really wanted suggestions for the Ruby. IMO, the Ruby Princess, is a classy gorgeous ship, well laid out with a well trained staff that will make you feel special.

Scampi

Edited by scampi

I think you'll have a nice time on the Ruby. I sailed on her a little over a year ago and am looking forward to another cruise on her in 2015. It's good to try different cruise lines to see what you like. For me, Princess does most things well. They treat you respectfully and offer a good cruise experience.

The things we learned are a mixture of Carnival amenities and cruises in general. I hope no one gets the idea that I am bashing Carnival! We really loved it. But now that we have got our "feet wet" we wanted to try something maybe a little more upscale. We will be posting a full review of our cruise on the Dream next week. Princess Cruises seem a little more geared to what we would want if we were alone. We like things a little more A la Carte and more adult oriented.

Thanks!

Brent

Some things will be more upscale on Princess, and some are more upscale on Carnival. For example, the dining experience on Princess is calmer with less fried food, and the entertainment is classier, but the robes are much nicer on Carnival and the thermal suite is far superior on the Dream and the three other Carnival ships that have it than the ones on Princess (in my experience.) Princess has much nicer lounge chairs and does a fabulous job with Movies Under The Stars. Each cruise line and each ship has its advantages, and that is why it is important to "sample" as many cruises as possible :D

I'm still unclear on this. What do you mean A la Carte and more adult oriented?

And what problems did you have that you learned lessons from? Maybe you were rushed getting to the port because you flew in the day of the cruise? Spent a lot of money on some of the packages (drinks, etc.)?[/quote

It was the things we thought we wanted and the things we actually used. Any first time cruiser goes through this. For example, we will never do a drink package again. It's not for us. Also we would select a different type of cabin. Our balcony was nice but I used it for a total of 5 minutes. Now if I can just convince my wife. LOL. It was a fun learning curve for us! We are more educated in what best fits us and I'm sure after this cruise we will learn even more about what we want. The "A la Carte " comment means I would rather have more options available for more money. That's all. The MDR is fine but we would rather pay extra for more great restaurant options. This ship seems to have that. Please remember that we have been on only one cruise so we depend on the reviews we read and comments from those that know what they are talking about.

My favorite place on the Ruby (& Emerald, her twin) is the adults only pool in the very back, 2 decks below & behind the Horizon Court area. Nice, quiet enjoyable pool -- tho always a bit windy -- w/a great view!:)

We took our first cruise on the Carnival Dream with two 16 year old kids 3 weeks ago. We now know that we really love cruises! We learned a lot on what we would do differently on our next cruise. This time it will only be me and my wife. After some research and a chat with our travel agent, we are looking into the Ruby Princess. If anyone has cruised on this ship I would appreciate any tips, info, advice etc..

thanks!

Brent

We sailed the Ruby in 2009 and 2011. She one of our favorite Princess ships. We sailed in a Riviera deck PH suite and a Dolphin deck mini suite. If you are into suites, I'd avoid the Riviera PH suites as their balconies are quite narrow. I'd book a Dolphin Vista which is cheaper and has a huge balcony. If you are into Mini's Try booking the end mini on Dolphin or Emerald Deck. These four minis have larger balconies due a partial wrap at the aft of your balcony. The Emerald mins are also totally covered.

Bob

I know where the OP is comming from.

We are in our Mid 30's. Carnival is not our cup of tea....it's a bit too "family friendly" for our taste. That being sad, if we where to go cruising with our familly members and their children, Carnival would be the one I would recommend (and still enjoy it).

Cruising on our own, we much prefer the ambience and style of Princess. It's just that Je ne sais quoi? home away from home feeling, and just the right balance for us. The Ruby/Emerald/Crown sisters are great design ships. And a calming neutral decor - no las vegas type bling.

The speciality restaurants are supurb. But we warned, you will develop Crown Grill and Sabatini's separation anxiety post cruise.

We sign up to unlimited use of the Thermal suites on embarkation day.

My favourite spot to hit after long port intensive walking days.

We also don't really get value for money from the drinks package (personally I think Celeberity has a better all inclusive drinks package for our needs) but I don't like having to sign a receipt everytime I get a drink - so I make a financial sacrifice on this point.

Do recomend a coffee card however for the international cafe if you drink speciality coffees regularly (there is free standard tea/coffee). Much cheaper than pay as you go.

I also like to spend at least one day in total relaxation in the Sanctuary. Fluttering between the sactuary, the lotus pool and massage in the sanctuary Cabana huts.

Also, I second the superior loyalty programme on Princess as already mentioned earlier it the thread.

:D

Lanwood has some excellent points, and hit the nail on the head about this major problem with Princess:

...be warned, you will develop Crown Grill and Sabatini's separation anxiety post cruise.

[quote name='mikaula']I think it's a good idea to try differs cruise lines & decide which one fits you the best.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I couldn't agree more. That is why we tried Princess first and found that it was a perfect fit! :p My DW says that I am the perfect shopper, [B]when I find what I like I buy!!!:[/B]!:D[/COLOR]
[quote name='Kmkub']We keep meaning to try another line, but we love Princess so much, we just keep booking with them. We will likely try a shorter cruise out of FLL for another line at some point. (Maybe the Oasis or Allure?)[/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]We have talked (not really) about trying other lines but we are just too spoiled!:D[/COLOR] Edited by RetiredNTraveling

We tried RC and Carnival before our first Princess cruise. We wanted to go to the Med and the Ruby was our first Princess ship for 12 days. We then did a 28 day 50th anniversary cruise on the Emerald (Ruby sister ship). In less than a year we did a 15 day Hawaii cruise on the Grand.By this time we had achieved Platinum status and we were sold on Princess. Our next cruise is on the Coral to Panama Canal. Why did we fall so in love with Princess so fast? The itineraries first sold us, then the ambiance of the ship (classy and relaxing), then the service was and has always been for us exceptional. The demographics tend to run to the older crowd with enough younger couples and children to make it interesting. LOL. We love all the activities and now find sea days our favorite itinerary. LOL. It took our second voyage to find out the International cafe is included except for beverages, as well as Alfredo’s Pizzeria. The pizza is to die for at Alfredo’s and the Trident grill. The Movies Under The Stars (MUTS) is fun at night if the weather is warm but you can enjoy several blankets in cooler weather AND they come around with cookies and milk, plus you can get popcorn. How cool is that? Of course, the lounges are always rocking and there are production shows as well. We always book Sabatini’s and the Crown Grill. Yum! Gosh, I have talked myself into another cruise......hope to see you on board.

[quote name='Grammyluvs']It took our second voyage to find out the International cafe is included except for beverages, as well as Alfredo’s Pizzeria.[/quote]

This is why it is important for those new to cruising to ask on board or ask others what is included and what is extra cost.

There was a post in another thread about a couple that ate every meal in the buffet and never went to the dining room because they thought the dining room was extra cost.