Smart Casual vs Formal

mcrcruiser

I have seen people in shorts and t-shirts in the MDR on Solstice on formal nights. It used to bother me as I sat there in my tux. But at some point I realized it's not about them. It's about me. And if I dress nicely with my family for dinner and we enjoy that, who cares what anyone else does? For my upcoming Silhoutte sailing I plan to wear a suit with open collar on formal nights. That's formal enough and feels right for this trip. On QM2 I wear a suit every night and a tux on formal nights. Once you realize it's about you and not the other passengers it gets a lot easier.

So we have two contrasting viewpoints :

Otherwise I would respect the cruise line's dress code, and my fellow passengers, by adhering to the published code.

Once you realize it's about you and not the other passengers it gets a lot easier.

I know who I would rather cruise with

My choice is to follow the published dress code for the cruise I'm on. If I didn't feel like dressing formal on a cruise with a formal dress code I'd go to an alternate dinner venue that didn't require it. Celebrity has several of those. Otherwise I would respect the cruise line's dress code, and my fellow passengers, by adhering to the published code.

Very well said!!

Pardon me it has nothing to do with respecting a dress code:eek: .The issue here is smart casual vs formal ;).There are many people going into formal night MDR definitely under dressed & Celebrity is NOT enforcing their so called code .We personally witnessed this happening with many ppueople on the March 3rd & 9th 2014, b2b Silhouette Eastern & Western Caribbean .Seems to me even Celebrity has flexibility now:D

The discussion here is what a person prefers & not whether they should seek out a different cruise line :rolleyes:.

FWIW ,I do honor the dress code ;however ,I would prefer country casual my self & thus could save on that extra packing & weight, for a couple of dress up evenings ;).

If that was the discussion, you should have only put that in your OP or done a poll, your final sentence leaves this thread open to just another dress code thread. Sorry, but you can't put opinions in there and then expect not to get them back.

When you made this statement you opened it up to just about anything.

"Imo in time it will not be mandatory to dress formally on formal nights .I feel it should be of personal choice & not mandated by any cruise line .Vacation is for relaxation inho"

Edited by dkjretired

We're done with Formal night so sailing a line like Celebrity or Princess gives me lots of choices to avoid it.

To the poster that said don't sail Oceania, Azamara, Regent, Seabourn, etc...that was hilarious seeing as they don't have formal nights.

I think what bothers a lot of people is the word "code" as in dress code. It suggests uncomfortable restrictions or a militant atmosphere that doesn't appeal to some who experience too many restrictions in daily life. "Formal dress suggested" might fly better with those who bristle at the word "code". So much for sensibilities!! Personally, we dress according to the expected code ( sorry, suggested dress). I am sure that a polite suggestion will be enough to keep the ripped shorts and flip flops out of a formal venue for the most part.

Edited by Hockeylovinmom

I think what bothers a lot of people is the word "code" as in dress code. It suggests uncomfortable restrictions or a militant atmosphere that doesn't appeal to some who experience too many restrictions in daily life. "Formal dress suggested" might fly better with those who bristle at the word "code". So much for sensibilities!! Personally, we dress according to the expected code ( sorry, suggested dress). I am sure that a polite suggestion will be enough to keep the ripped shorts and flip flops out of a formal venue for the most part.

It's as restrictive or as militant as a restaurant posting a sign that says, "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service." Or another requesting that men wear a jacket.

In all honesty, I do not know why so many are so resistant to just following the rules while on board. They're not exactly brand new rules....

And like you, dress to what is requested. On every cruise I've either rented a tux or had a jacket to wear for formal nights.

I love to dress up, so as long as there is a formal night, I'll abide by it. But after my last cruise, where I felt quite overdressed in 3/4 length gowns, I will probably not be as formal on my next cruise....cocktail attire instead of formal attire.

To answer the OP's original question.

I personally hope that formal nights do not go away. I love them. Even on smart casual nights, we usually exceed the dress code.

I enjoy dressing up but I know its not for everyone.

We just got back from a week at an All-Inclusive in Dominican. I was shocked at how dressy people were. We dressed up (we like to dress for dinner on holidays). But we were the norm, not the exception. There was one night (the first night) my husband wore a nice cream bahama shirt with navy shorts. He was asked to go back to the room and put on pants. So, dress codes are everywhere :D. I was actually quite pleasantly surprised that this young woman had the *** to enforce the dresscode.

There are so many different cruises to choose from these days, I don't understand why someone would choose a cruise with Formal Nights and complain about it or not participate in it. My spouse loves "dress up" so, I pack my tux and we do our thing. Plus, it gives me time to sneak up to the Sunset deck and smoke a cigar while she is getting ready. The MDR wants pants so, I wear pants. I don't see If I can get away with breaking the rules. Again, there are cruises that allow shorts.....choose one of them. Doesn't make a lot of sense to choose a cruise with formal nights and try to figure out how not to get with the program.

You would be happier to choose a cruise lines like Carnival, Costa, Disney, MSC, NCL or P&O these low end mass market cruise lines though good value for the money will not be a refined and elegant experience. Certainly you should not choose the top luxurious cruise lines like: Regent, Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn, Orion and Oceania. Even Celebrity might not meet your particular dress code needs.

I wouldn't call Disney a low end mass market cruise line. Not only are they are more expensive than Celebrity, they have formal nights, too.

To answer the OP's original question.

I personally hope that formal nights do not go away. I love them. Even on smart casual nights, we usually exceed the dress code.

I enjoy dressing up but I know its not for everyone.

We just got back from a week at an All-Inclusive in Dominican. I was shocked at how dressy people were. We dressed up (we like to dress for dinner on holidays). But we were the norm, not the exception. There was one night (the first night) my husband wore a nice cream bahama shirt with navy shorts. He was asked to go back to the room and put on pants. So, dress codes are everywhere :D. I was actually quite pleasantly surprised that this young woman had the *** to enforce the dresscode.

stock-photo-blue-like-button-126252026.jpg

There are so many different cruises to choose from these days, I don't understand why someone would choose a cruise with Formal Nights and complain about it or not participate in it. My spouse loves "dress up" so, I pack my tux and we do our thing. Plus, it gives me time to sneak up to the Sunset deck and smoke a cigar while she is getting ready. The MDR wants pants so, I wear pants. I don't see If I can get away with breaking the rules. Again, there are cruises that allow shorts.....choose one of them. Doesn't make a lot of sense to choose a cruise with formal nights and try to figure out how not to get with the program.

stock-photo-blue-like-button-126252026.jpg

I am in a quandary.

I absolutely love dressing formal and so does DH.However health issues have made it extremely difficult for him to wear his tux anymore. Even a suit jacket has become almost impossible ¸

I have found a black cashmere cardi in which he is comfortable. It is casual, I admit. but with a bow tie , it doesn't look too laid back. HE wants to go to the MDR on formal evenings because he really enjoys seeing the "ladies" in their gowns and the guys in black tie. That's part of the enjoyment of a cruise for him.

So what to do? Go to the MDR (I , in my gown, of course) and he, in his cardi and black velvet slippers or go to the buffet? Other alternative venues, other than Bistro on 5, are not an option. My choice, as of now, is to let him have his enjoyable evening in the MDR. But will he be allowed in ? If not, he would be absolutely mortified. Is this something I should discuss with the Maitre d' the prior evening so as to avoid possible difficulties?

These dress code threads can sure be passionate and sometimes the human side of things can be forgotten. Then we get a post like yours that just brings it all back to what is really important -- people!!

If I were in this situation, I would discuss it before hand with the Maitre d'. While nothing is guaranteed, I would bet that the Maitre d' would tell you that your husband would be admitted graciously to the MDR on formal night with the bow tie, cardigan, and black velvet slippers.

I hope you and your husband have a wonderful cruise.

Formal applies to the MDR only. Why should someone pick another cruise line? Some cruisers never step foot in the MDR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in a quandary.

I absolutely love dressing formal and so does DH.However health issues have made it extremely difficult for him to wear his tux anymore. Even a suit jacket has become almost impossible ¸

I have found a black cashmere cardi in which he is comfortable. It is casual, I admit. but with a bow tie , it doesn't look too laid back. HE wants to go to the MDR on formal evenings because he really enjoys seeing the "ladies" in their gowns and the guys in black tie. That's part of the enjoyment of a cruise for him.

So what to do? Go to the MDR (I , in my gown, of course) and he, in his cardi and black velvet slippers or go to the buffet? Other alternative venues, other than Bistro on 5, are not an option. My choice, as of now, is to let him have his enjoyable evening in the MDR. But will he be allowed in ? If not, he would be absolutely mortified. Is this something I should discuss with the Maitre d' the prior evening so as to avoid possible difficulties?

These dress code threads can sure be passionate and sometimes the human side of things can be forgotten. Then we get a post like yours that just brings it all back to what is really important -- people!!

If I were in this situation, I would discuss it before hand with the Maitre d'. While nothing is guaranteed, I would bet that the Maitre d' would tell you that your husband would be admitted graciously to the MDR on formal night with the bow tie, cardigan, and black velvet slippers.

I hope you and your husband have a wonderful cruise.

Agree 110%...

Formal applies to the MDR only. Why should someone pick another cruise line? Some cruisers never step foot in the MDR

I think he was referring to wearing shorts - which aren't supposed to be worn in any sitdown restaurant at dinner. Certainly there's no need to dress formally in other restaurants other than the MDR on formal night - unless you desire to do so!

I think he was referring to wearing shorts - which aren't supposed to be worn in any sitdown restaurant at dinner. Certainly there's no need to dress formally in other restaurants other than the MDR on formal night - unless you desire to do so!

But what they said is why book a ship with formal nights and then not participate

There are so many different cruises to choose from these days, I don't understand why someone would choose a cruise with Formal Nights and complain about it or not participate in it.

And Celebrity makes it very clear that you can enjoy a cruise on their line and NOT participate in formal evenings. I am sorry that you do not understand that. We enjoyed our last cruise and did not wear any formal attire the entire 13 nights. We made use of the specialty restaurants on those evenings and did not skip a beat!

Doesn't make a lot of sense to choose a cruise with formal nights and try to figure out how not to get with the program.

It makes a lot of sense to Celebrity though, as they have multiple dining options that allow you to skip all of the formalities, should you wish.

It would be nice if the ones who prefer smart casual, just quietly chose that option and the dining options that go along with it.

It puzzles me why CC has to have thread after thread about how annoying formal dressing is. It's like some kind of badge of honour to be as blasé and laid back as possible.

I do not judge people on how they dress. I am much more concerned with the way they behave and treat others. I have met some people very casually dressed that have been the nicest kindest people who are fun to be around and equally I have met some people dressed in black tie and long gowns who have been the rudest, condescending ignorant people I have ever had the misfortune to meet.

On a cruise sometimes I dress up if I feel like doing it and sometimes I don't. I don't care if anyone thinks I am over or under dressed. I dress to suit myself and how I am feeling.

You have all heard the saying " don't judge a book by it's cover " clothes are only the bodies cover and the real personality will always shine through.

Prior to our March 8th cruise on the Reflection, I got involved in one of these passionate discussions on these boards around the dress code. I stated that I would be going to formal night in one of my professional dresses that I enhance with jewellery etc. I also said that my husband would be going in grey pants, a navy sport jacket, dress shirt and a tie. I was criticized by many on these boards and told to go to an alternate venue for dinner as professional dress is different than formal dress.

Prior to dinner on the first formal night while having a glass of wine at Cellar Masters, Rachel (who was helping to host the Captain's table), came over to me to tell me how lovely my dress looked ... my professional dress!!! The same thing happened the 2nd formal night ... the night I wore my simple black dress. As for my husband, his attire was more than appropriate. In fact, one of the senior officers talked to us after dinner and said that shirts and ties are no longer necessary. A sport jacket with a polo shirt or casual shirt underneath are appropriate for the formal night.

Thank goodness I did not listen to the negativity and criticism on here and instead I used my own good judgement which appears to be supported by Celebrity.

There was a time on Celebrity when it was Formal all evening and even on Smart Casual evenings no shorts after 6 PM except on Lido Deck.

No April Fool thing ... really true.

Once back then on Zenith, DH was in shorts bringing some drinks back to our cabin for us to have while we were dressing at 5:55 and people would tell him in a joking way he only had 5 minutes. :D

LuLu

~~~~

I think the point is that these formal vs. casual dress code debates center around the MDR where the dress code is formal. So the presumption is that the pro casual crowd want to eat there. There would be no debate at all if they had no issue going to the casual dining areas.

Personally, I really don't care what people wear as long as they dress up somewhat on formal night. Smart casual covers a wide range and it would be nice if people at least dressed nice on formal nights to respect the majority that do follow the dress code and expect an elegant evening. But someone at the next table was in nice "smart casual" attire it wouldn't bother me in the least.

We occasionally have dined in a specialty restaurant on formal nights where formal is not required. Our evenings felt just as elegant there when we dressed formally even through the percentage in formal attire there is lower than in the MDR. I'd have no problem if the MDR was a similar mix. But until Celebrity changes their dress code I will maintain that the proper thing to do is to follow the dress code. Of course there should always be limited exceptions - no one is going to have an issue with instances such as that discussed earlier in this thread where someone is unable to wear formalwear due to some physical condition.

There is a lot of debate going on here that goes beyond the original question of "What is your choice?" But I expect everyone, including the OP, knew that would happen when they stirred up the pot. Perhaps it's been a few days since they enjoyed a good formal night debate.

Edited by Lsimon

What exactly is "country casual" anyway? Blue jeans & cowboy hats? Not sure I've heard that term before.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

I love this answer... It has just solved my problem on how to pack for my upcoming Alaska trip..

Two pair of Bib Overalls, and work boots.. Now that's my kind -o- country...