How many days until your next cruise??? Part 2

Host Kat

12 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

QR codes require internet I think unless a separate WIFI and host on ship is provided to feed locally.    I guess the technology is there, but skeptical that is on their IT plate.    

When you scan the QR code with your camera it automatically pulls up your browser to go to a cloud site, unless they localize that with a application that is something each ship will need to institute.

Frankly this is far more complicated than a simple piece of paper, which they waste a ton of for their daily cabin news, dang all they need to do is add the menu's on that.

Yes it does require Internet (or possibly Intranet) and Costa is making that available (for free) to all passengers on their ship in Europe.  I did not make this up :).  I simply am speaking about the current Costa rules and guidelines which have been published on their own web site at:

https://www.costacruises.com/cruising-soon-again/safety-above-all.html

Using QR codes for menus is not unique to Costa.  Back in July when we were vacationing in South Carolina we dined in a couple of restaurants that ONLY offered menus via QR codes.  When I teased our waiter about what happens if a customer does not have a device to read the QR menus he said that he was able to go verbally read and discuss the menu but no hard copies were given to customers.  Most other restaurants had disposable paper menus.

Hank