Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam, great cruise but…….

Lesinindy

You are kidding, right? HAL would need whole police department to enforce such a rule.

A far simpler (and fair) policy is to designate sections of cabins as smoking balconies and non-smoking balconies, preferably with the smokers towards the aft end.

igraf

I like this idea also. HAL should designate all the stern facing balconies as smoking so that would practicably eliminate any smoke permeating the balconies forward unless there was a strong following wind. The only problem I see with this is that many non-smokers would choose to select what has now become premium cabins.

The 20% figure may or may not be true of the general population, but judging by the number of complaints about smokers on HAL, the on-board balcony percentage must be much higher. Like 70 percent?

My 20% is empirical and fairly accurate according to CDC "An estimated 42.1 million people, or 18.1% of all adults (aged 18 years or older), in the United States smoke cigarettes. Cigarette smoking is more common among men (20.5%) than women (15.8%)."

How accurate is your 70% guesstimate? :rolleyes:

Edited by taxmantoo

The Big But for the cruise had to do with verandas. It was our luck to be surrounded by smokers. Now I used to smoke and it does not bother me much, but it drives DW crazy. On many occasions we were forced back in our room by the smoke. Even for me that does not go nuts at the smell of smoke, it is a shame that that wonderful odor of the open sea was covered up by smoke.

Being able to enjoy the outdoors on our verandah is a big part of our cruise experience. Reading for hours out there, having breakfast (via room service) with that wonderful fresh orange juice cannot be beat. But for two weeks we really could not do that. I did not order once from room service, it was just not worth it. There were times that the wonderful verandah experience was available to us, but soon the smokers would emerge.

I can see my three star mariner status on the horizon, but I am going to have to think about alternative lines where the smoking is more restricted.

If smoking drives your DW crazy, then why did you sail on HAL knowing smoking is allowed on balconies? You knew it would be possible your neighbors might be smokers. You took a chance, it didn't work out, so why come here to bit*h about it?

I'm not complaining but going to,probably do what those of us with real issues with the smoke should do.... Book other cruise lines who are more understanding of us non smokers....I'm nearly a four star cruiser with HAL but...I always worry about the issue until we have been aboard for several hours and find out what we can expect as to use of our verandah....

If smoking drives your DW crazy, then why did you sail on HAL knowing smoking is allowed on balconies? You knew it would be possible your neighbors might be smokers. You took a chance, it didn't work out, so why come here to bit*h about it?

Even though I'm a smoker, I have no problem with folks expressing contrary views. As we used to say in the Navy, "a bit*hing sailor is a happy sailor".

I'm not complaining but going to,probably do what those of us with real issues with the smoke should do.... Book other cruise lines who are more understanding of us non smokers....I'm nearly a four star cruiser with HAL but...I always worry about the issue until we have been aboard for several hours and find out what we can expect as to use of our verandah....

As more and more cruise lines are implementing policies more in line with 21st Century values, we believe that HAL will follow suit. Three and four star mariners have clearly established their preference for cruising on HAL and should not be relegated to "other" cruise lines on account of 20% of the population who still smokes. Why should we, four star Mariners, have to move over to another cruise line when we clearly love HAL and have every right to expect that our dollars are worth just as much as a no-star Mariner who moves over to HAL in order to indulge a habit.

I am a oxygen user and one of the few activities I can enjoy is sitting on the balcony and reading or meals. I have observed ashes flying off the balconies and wonder about the danger of fire by careless smokers. Even though smoke is annoying, it is definitely not healthy for anyone. This is fact. I believe that HAL has the responsibility to make cruising as safe and healthy as they possibly can. Please reconsider your policy re smoking on the ship balconies.

I am a oxygen user and one of the few activities I can enjoy is sitting on the balcony and reading or meals. I have observed ashes flying off the balconies and wonder about the danger of fire by careless smokers. Even though smoke is annoying, it is definitely not healthy for anyone. This is fact. I believe that HAL has the responsibility to make cruising as safe and healthy as they possibly can. Please reconsider your policy re smoking on the ship balconies.

Fair enough but your request is misplaced. You should address your comments direct to HAL as I doubt any of these posters can change HAL policy.

lesinindy,

Thanks for your review, so sorry to read that you were unable to use your balcony because of smoking neighbours.

Am pleased that you sent your comments to HAL's head office, I will be interested to know the response you receive.

Judging by the comments on these threads, 90% of those posters must be non=smokers.

Probably so and my unscientific observation on many HAL cruises is that percentage appears to hold true among those aboard any particular cruise. However, the 90% figure should not be interpreted as an indication of the percentage of folks troubled by smoking on a cruise. If that were the case, HAL would surely have changed their smoking policy by now.

As an ex-smoker I don;t like smoking per se, but would not like it floating over to my Verandah either. I am writing this to support your view. If HAL does read posts, the more responders the better.

Judging by the comments on these threads, 90% of those posters must be non=smokers.

I am a nonsmoker, too...and hubby and I are three star Mariners. We only need one more two week cruise to qualify for 4 star. We would like our four star status, but our next cruise is with Celebrity. Well, it is mostly because they offer the itinerary we want, but we also like their non smoking policy.

The other issue, but a discussion for another thread, is the shortening of dining hours in Lido and MDR...but that was addressed on another thread. Actually, the food issue is what makes HAL, the last choice for me (hubby does fine) If HAL has an amazing itinerary...we will be on that cruise.

It doesn't have to be 50/50. The smokers just have to be towards the aft end of the ship. For example, HAL might designate the aft half of the port side as smoking balconies for a 75/25 split. Alternatively, HAL might designate the aft 25% of cabins on both sides so that everyone still has a choice of port or starboard cabins. The inside and ocean-view cabins would remain open for all.

This solution is so simple and effective. There is no reason to bicker about the issue.

igraf

Why would they reserve 50% of ship's cabins for smokers when smokers only account for 20% of the population? :rolleyes:

It doesn't have to be 50/50. The smokers just have to be towards the aft end of the ship. For example, HAL might designate the aft half of the port side as smoking balconies for a 75/25 split. Alternatively, HAL might designate the aft 25% of cabins on both sides so that everyone still has a choice of port or starboard cabins. The inside and ocean-view cabins would remain open for all.

This solution is so simple and effective. There is no reason to bicker about the issue.

igraf

Nothing in this world is "simple." Your plan certainly works for hotels which have had designated smoking and non-smoking rooms for years. The problem, as I see it and mentioned before, is that the aft cabins, which would provide the greatest separation of smokers, are also the prized cabins for many folks. So, in curing one problem, you set up another by essentially denying these desirable cabins to non-smokers.

So, in curing one problem, you set up another by essentially denying these desirable cabins to non-smokers.

Methinks at some point the non-smokers might have to settle for not getting 100% of everything they want, all the time, IF the smoking issue is so important to them..... The goal posts seem to keep moving. What we used to hear was "Why can't HAL eliminate smoking in the cabins." So HAL did that. Now it is "Why can't HAL guarantee me a smoke-free experience on my veranda." Well, what has been suggested would come very close to that. But if that's done, the new cry will rise up, "Why can't I book an aft balcony on HAL, it isn't fair...."

All of us have to make choices based on the best alternatives for us, and most of us don't have "unlimited" choices -- we are limited by cost, time, availability, preferences, mobility, etc.

If someone has to choose between a smoke-free veranda and an aft veranda, that doesn't seem like the end of the world to me.

Edited by cruisemom42

All of us have to make choices based on the best alternatives for us, and most of us don't have "unlimited" choices -- we are limited by cost, time, availability, preferences, mobility, etc.

If someone has to choose between a smoke-free veranda and an aft veranda, that doesn't seem like the end of the world to me.

I like your way of thinking.

Did you fail to notice that I thought the cruise was great!!!!!! I came here to report on a great cruise.

The fact that we couldn't enjoy our veranda completely was not bit**ing but rather an observation. I happen to be a major HAL chearleader and have been on the board for years. In other words keep your snide comments to your self . Times change and just maybe HAL might want to look at the issue again.

Why should we, four star Mariners, have to move over to another cruise line when we clearly love HAL and have every right to expect that our dollars are worth just as much as a no-star Mariner who moves over to HAL in order to indulge a habit.

And what about a four star Mariner's dollars, aren't they worth as much as yours if he/she is a smoker?

I doubt very much if smokers are moving to HAL purely to smoke on a balcony. There are other lines who are more accommodating.

Methinks at some point the non-smokers might have to settle for not getting 100% of everything they want, all the time, IF the smoking issue is so important to them..... The goal posts seem to keep moving. What we used to hear was "Why can't HAL eliminate smoking in the cabins." So HAL did that. Now it is "Why can't HAL guarantee me a smoke-free experience on my veranda." Well, what has been suggested would come very close to that. But if that's done, the new cry will rise up, "Why can't I book an aft balcony on HAL, it isn't fair...."

I still don't see why HAL doesn't reserve one side of the ship for smokers.

Edited by rgtkkb

I still don't see why HAL doesn't reserve one side of the ship for smokers.

Are you saying or thinking that 50% of the people who cruise on HAL are smokers or travel with a smoker? :rolleyes:

Edited by taxmantoo

Or what if they did Port side non-smoking and Starboard smoking? Or vice-versa. You get the idea. As long as it's consistent across the fleet people would know which side to book the cabin on.

As am a former smoker who quit over 25 years ago.. I believe this would be a fair solution allowing both the non-smokers and the smokers to enjoy cruising.

Did you fail to notice that I thought the cruise was great!!!!!! I came here to report on a great cruise.

The fact that we couldn't enjoy our veranda completely was not bit**ing but rather an observation. I happen to be a major HAL chearleader and have been on the board for years. In other words keep your snide comments to your self . Times change and just maybe HAL might want to look at the issue again.

This definitely deserves a "Like" icon - too bad Cruise Critic doesn't have them, so a smiley will have to suffice.:)

"If smoking drives your DW crazy, then why did you sail on HAL knowing smoking is allowed on balconies?"

If it's any consolation, I took these words to heart and we'll be booking our next cruise on X. Two more three-star mariners exercising their options.

Even IF this rule was in effect, does anyone really think that HAL would enforce it????

HAL will change the policy only when it is in their financial interest to change it. Letters will not help-don't waste your money on the stamp.

Bookings and people voting with their feet are the only things that will lead to a change in policy.

Edited by iancal