Odd Itinerary

Jalex63

We have been eyeballing a cruise on the Maasdam this fall that sails to Italy and back from Ft Lauderdale. This is a 42 day cruise. What seems strange to me is that they begin this cruise with 4 days in the Caribbean, going first to San Juan and then to St. Martin before starting the trek across the Atlantic. For the life of me I cannot reason out why they would do this vs heading straight for Europe? I mean as it ends up they spend only one single day at Civitavecchia to allow for getting over to see Rome. Would seem better to me to drop the Caribbean from this and spend a couple of days in Civitavecchia in order that one would have what would still be not enough time to really see all of Rome.

Of course another short-coming of this cruise is that this is the rainy season for Rome, according to wx it rains more than 50% of the days in November and it is also a bit nippy as the avg temps are only low 50's that time of year.

Am I alone in thinking this is a strange Itinerary or is there some unknown reason they might do this?

On our roll call for this cruise, the "Atlantic Adventurer", there are a number of people who are repeating the cruise, they enjoyed it so much a previous time. As far as I'm concerned, the Caribbean stops are a bonus, as we have never sailed in that area, except once for a Panama Canal cruise; and for a bit of warmth! As far as Civitavecchia - perhaps it would be very expensive as an overnight? We will be overnighting at Sorrento, hopefully. It is probably a good time of year for the North Africa stops, as well as the Canary Islands. It should be a time of year that is fairly tourist-free in Spain and Italy, and depending on where you are from, a pleasant time of year. We are looking forward to some new ports, as well as old favourites.

I agree on the possible expense for overnight in Rome, but, as opposed to a summer stop there, in November the port should be less crowded. Although I occasionally hear of a ship overnighting at Rome in summer, given how busy the port is, imagine it would be tough to schedule.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We did the 21 day Atlantic Advenurer FLL to Civitavecchia followed by a 28 day Med Transatlantic from Venice to FLL on Princess last Oct/Dec. Loved both cruises. On the HAL cruise the only rain we had was in the morning in Mallorca...lovely afternoon. Temperatures were very comfortable. The worst weather was the day we went from Civi to Venice...downpour in Venice. The next day it was beautiful. We had some chilly days in Italy on the Princess leg of the cruise but a cap and gloves took care of that. No other measurable rainfall. Loved the fact the ports were not inundated with people like earlier in the season.

We would cruise this area again during this time of year in a heartbeat...the 2015 50 day version is looking tempting!

Edited by hobo1937

The responses to my original post are very encouraging and perhaps the time of the year may be more favorable than I had been led to believe. I still think the Carib stops are strange for a cruise to Europe, but then I have been to the Carib so many times that I am pretty tired of it. However, I do want to get to Europe, especially Rome and I absolutely hate flying so this is likely the only way I would ever be able to do it.:)

I believe one of the reasons ships transit the Caribbean during November - March Transatlantic's is that the weather is likely to be much more favorable on a Southern route. You make a good point about only one day in Rome, however.

This itineary may seem strange to you, but I can tell you we have 6+ Mediterranean cruises and 4 or 5 TAs. Never had more than a day in Rome. The port of Rome port taxes are a lot higher than in the Carribean.

What seems strange to me is that they begin this cruise with 4 days in the Caribbean, going first to San Juan and then to St. Martin before starting the trek across the Atlantic. For the life of me I cannot reason out why they would do this vs heading straight for Europe?
My guess: commission payments/profit share from shops and tour operators.

I have never seen the fees to dock at a port but that may be it. If they dock for two or three days in Rome (or anywhere else) they (you) would have to pay the extra port fees. The only number I have heard for fees is some ungodly amount to transit the Panama Canal.

I have never seen the fees to dock at a port but that may be it. If they dock for two or three days in Rome (or anywhere else) they (you) would have to pay the extra port fees. The only number I have heard for fees is some ungodly amount to transit the Panama Canal.

Yes, I don't know that you can take it as gospel, but my TA told me a while back that the fees associated with the Panama Canal are the highest of all cruises, like a couple hundred bucks or more per passenger just for the canal.

Of course I can only speak for myself, but I would be more than willing to pay extra for a day or two longer in Rome on this particular cruise. On the other hand, we have been to St. Martin so many times that we don't even bother to get off the ship anymore.:o

Yes, I don't know that you can take it as gospel, but my TA told me a while back that the fees associated with the Panama Canal are the highest of all cruises, like a couple hundred bucks or more per passenger just for the canal.

Very odd itinerary from FLL to Rome and return starting in late November.

Edited by PatriciaF

We did this cruise in 2012 and loved it. Great ship and crew, all the ports were repeaters for us, but we had a wonderful cruise. Missed Sorrento due to rough seas, docked overnight at Naples instead. Wanted to see the National Museum, so that was a plus for us.

All the Sorrento ships tours were rerouted from Naples, but the ship did not set up transfers only for passengers, as they offer in Florence and Rome, a lot of passengers were not happy about that.

Other than that, it was a very cheerful boatload of folks. Maasdam is at the top of our favorites list.

The itinerary for 2015 has been changed nicely, goes as far as Athens, we are thinking about repeating the trip. Very tempting!

The itinerary for 2015 has been changed nicely, goes as far as Athens, we are thinking about repeating the trip. Very tempting!

I was not aware of this change, significant and for only a little more $$. We may just wait a year on this one.:)

First, let me start by saying that winter is my favorite time to visit Italy. I will gladly, gladly trade off the cooler weather for the relatively uncrowded sites. My favorite times in Rome are from late October through February/early March.

Yes, it can sometimes rain. But unless you really hit horrid weather, it doesn't tend to pour all day. (You can get that in Venice, though....)

Of course I can only speak for myself, but I would be more than willing to pay extra for a day or two longer in Rome on this particular cruise. On the other hand, we have been to St. Martin so many times that we don't even bother to get off the ship anymore.:o

Since Rome is so important to you, had you considered doing what someone else suggested -- booking this cruise as far as Rome, then getting off and spending a few days and sailing back on a different ship? They are all doing their repositionings from Europe to warmer ports (e.g., Caribbean, South America) at that time.

Another option -- depending on what other ports along western Italy that you're visiting -- would be to stay more time in Rome and rejoin the ship at another port. If you are visiting Sorrento for an overnight, you can easily get to Rome, overnight there, and rejoin the ship at Civitavecchia (the port for Rome).

Edited to add: I see the ship is going the other direction, but the same idea applies -- get off in Rome, stay there for at least one night, then take a train to Naples/Sorrento and join back up with the ship.

Edited by cruisemom42

First, let me start by saying that winter is my favorite time to visit Italy. I will gladly, gladly trade off the cooler weather for the relatively uncrowded sites. My favorite times in Rome are from late October through February/early March.

Yes, it can sometimes rain. But unless you really hit horrid weather, it doesn't tend to pour all day. (You can get that in Venice, though....)

Since Rome is so important to you, had you considered doing what someone else suggested -- booking this cruise as far as Rome, then getting off and spending a few days and sailing back on a different ship? They are all doing their repositionings from Europe to warmer ports (e.g., Caribbean, South America) at that time.

Another option -- depending on what other ports along western Italy that you're visiting -- would be to stay more time in Rome and rejoin the ship at another port. If you are visiting Sorrento for an overnight, you can easily get to Rome, overnight there, and rejoin the ship at Civitavecchia (the port for Rome).

Edited to add: I see the ship is going the other direction, but the same idea applies -- get off in Rome, stay there for at least one night, then take a train to Naples/Sorrento and join back up with the ship.

I had not thought about the idea of getting off the ship in Rome and rejoining, might be more of a hassle than I would want to get involved in. As far as getting off and coming back on a different ship? HAL has no other ship returning from Rome at or after that time.

I suppose what we would do with regard to Rome is hire a private car and driver/guide so that we could take maximum advantage of the one day. That appears to run about $700.00, but if you are only going to make it there once in your lifetime it is a small price to pay?

I had not thought about the idea of getting off the ship in Rome and rejoining, might be more of a hassle than I would want to get involved in. As far as getting off and coming back on a different ship? HAL has no other ship returning from Rome at or after that time.

I suppose what we would do with regard to Rome is hire a private car and driver/guide so that we could take maximum advantage of the one day. That appears to run about $700.00, but if you are only going to make it there once in your lifetime it is a small price to pay?

Really, it's not that much of a hassle; a fair number of people do it. I just feel terrible that you will have so LITTLE time in Rome. :( I've been numerous times and still am finding wonderful new things.

Maybe a good travel agent could help you plan it?

By the way, there's no reason to limit yourself to HAL transatlantics. I see that Ocean Princess leaves from Rome (Civitavecchia) on December 1.

I did this cruise in 2011, the first time it was offered and it was the BEST cruise I've ever been on. I loved it so much, I'm repeating it next year when it's lengthened to 50 days.

I've traveled Italy by land in all four seasons. It might be a bit chilly in Rome in November, but, on the other hand, the swarms of tourists you meet in the warmer seasons are not there. If it rains, sit in a nice cafe and people watch! As I recall, the only rain we experienced on the 2011 voyage was in Gibralter. It rained for about an hour, and the rest of the day was beautiful. Heck, I'd rather be in Rome in the rain than at home.