Another BofA points question

We are looking to cash in our BofA points for the 1st time for an Oct 2015 cruise. None of our points will expire until 2017, so that is not an issue.

We already have the 2015 cruise booked and paid $200 deposit. The remaining balance is about $1494. We are planning on using 3 $500 off certificates. My question is, what will happen to the remaining $6 since we have already paid the deposit. Will it roll over as OBC or will we lose it? Not a big deal if we lose $6 bucks, just want to know what to expect. Or will they not let us even use a 3rd certificate since our balance would be less than $500 at that point?

Also, when should I redeem the points? How close to the cruise should I do it? I know it needs to be done before final payment, but that is not until next July. We have enough points for 2 of the certificates now, and will have enough for the 3rd by next spring.

Thanks for helping out a newbie!

I've asked that question before and never received an answer. That is something I will definitely have to look into. Do you know if I can combine $500 off with an upgrade or OBC?

Redeeming BofA points to be used as $500 towards the payment of your cruise has absolutely nothing to do with upgrades or OBC's that you may get from various other places such as TA or RCCL.

You earned the points you are redeeming by using your BofA credit card.

Redeeming BofA points to be used as $500 towards the payment of your cruise has absolutely nothing to do with upgrades or OBC's that you may get from various other places such as TA or RCCL.

You earned the points you are redeeming by using your BofA credit card.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant upgrades and OBC offers through the BofA points program. For example, could I cash in for $500 off the cruise, plus also cash in additional points for $250 OBC for the same cruise.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant upgrades and OBC offers through the BofA points program. For example, could I cash in for $500 off the cruise, plus also cash in additional points for $250 OBC for the same cruise.

Yes, you can combine a redemption for cruise discount with a redemption for OBC.

Regarding whether you are able to redeem multiple $500 discounts, I'd call the redemptions people for that info: 888-305-4626.

Edited by clarea

Yes, you can combine a redemption for cruise discount with a redemption for OBC.

Regarding whether you are able to redeem multiple $500 discounts, I'd call the redemptions people for that info: 888-305-4626.

I always thought (I don't handle this, DH does) that it became more valuable to redeem the higher point total as you qualified for it, than even think you could use multiple $500 redemptions. Although DH and I always thought that you could only use one redemption towards the actual payment of the cruise cost.

As you clearly state, you can redeem points for both a monetary payment towards the cruise cost as well as receive a redemption for an OBC.

Just off Allure at the end of March and redeemed two $500 OBC awards on that cruise.

I phoned the redemptions site a couple of months before the cruise to check it was allowed and then just did it through the online interface.

One thing about the program I don't like it is that the rewards are not better for "building up" a higher balance, not sure why they have multiple levels of OBC instead of just one award for $100 and redeem as many multiples as you want.

Just off Allure at the end of March and redeemed two $500 OBC awards on that cruise.

I phoned the redemptions site a couple of months before the cruise to check it was allowed and then just did it through the online interface.

One thing about the program I don't like it is that the rewards are not better for "building up" a higher balance, not sure why they have multiple levels of OBC instead of just one award for $100 and redeem as many multiples as you want.

I can see how the cruise line would not care if you redeem multiple amounts of redemption points for use as OBC's. I cannot imagine that they want to have multiple points redeemed to be used as 'payment' towards the cost of the cruise.

We are looking to cash in our BofA points for the 1st time for an Oct 2015 cruise. None of our points will expire until 2017, so that is not an issue.

We already have the 2015 cruise booked and paid $200 deposit. The remaining balance is about $1494. We are planning on using 3 $500 off certificates. My question is, what will happen to the remaining $6 since we have already paid the deposit. Will it roll over as OBC or will we lose it? Not a big deal if we lose $6 bucks, just want to know what to expect. Or will they not let us even use a 3rd certificate since our balance would be less than $500 at that point?

Also, when should I redeem the points? How close to the cruise should I do it? I know it needs to be done before final payment, but that is not until next July. We have enough points for 2 of the certificates now, and will have enough for the 3rd by next spring.

Ok here is how it works as I just did this yesterday.

You can only discount the cruise fair NOT any tax's or prepaid gratuities. They will also only allow you to use points for discounts in $150 or $500 increments. They will not let you use 3 of the $500 as that would go over the amount of the cruise fair by $6. The only way you would get money back was IF the deposit you paid covers all tax'd and prepaid gratuities (if purchased). Then it would come back as a credit to the credit card used to pay the deposits IF that $6 was infact all cruise fair.

My example: Our cruise fair for 2 was $1229 so we could only use 2-$500 discounts and 1-$150 discount ($1150 total discount). This left us to have a remaining balance to pay at final payment of $79 plus tax's and gratuities. I hope that this helps.

You can only discount the cruise fair NOT any tax's or prepaid gratuities. They will also only allow you to use points for discounts in $150 or $500 increments. They will not let you use 3 of the $500 as that would go over the amount of the cruise fair by $6. The only way you would get money back was IF the deposit you paid covers all tax'd and prepaid gratuities (if purchased). Then it would come back as a credit to the credit card used to pay the deposits IF that $6 was infact all cruise fair.

My example: Our cruise fair for 2 was $1229 so we could only use 2-$500 discounts and 1-$150 discount ($1150 total discount). This left us to have a remaining balance to pay at final payment of $79 plus tax's and gratuities. I hope that this helps.

Thanks for reporting back, appreciate the info.:)

Wait a Minute!

Isn't that 150,000 points???

For 125,000 points you can get a FREE 7-NIGHT CRUISE!! (Ocean View = up to $2,500 value - - For those of you in Rio Linda - That's twice the value per point)

Why not use those points and get double the value? I would wait until you are booking a 7-night Caribbean Cruise and use them there. YOu can book a balcony or suite and just pay the difference. We have the Freedom booked and got $2300 (the price of the Ocean View Cabin) deducted from the price of our Jr. St. for 125,000 points.

Hope This Helps

Edited by DHADEN

Wait a Minute!

Isn't that 150,000 points???

For 125,000 points you can get a FREE 7-NIGHT CRUISE!! (Ocean View = up to $2,500 value - - For those of you in Rio Linda - That's twice the value per point)

Why not use those points and get double the value? I would wait until you are booking a 7-night Caribbean Cruise and use them there. YOu can book a balcony or suite and just pay the difference. We have the Freedom booked and got $2300 (the price of the Ocean View Cabin) deducted from the price of our Jr. St. for 125,000 points.

Hope This Helps

You are correct. I had considered the free cruise, but we already have a balcony booked. I wasn't sure how it would work because I did not want to lose my specific cabin booked, if I had to change to an outside and then upgrade to a balcony. If they will just apply the value of the outside, then it might work out to be the better deal.

Using the current prices, it looks like I could redeem 125,000 points for the free cruise at the cheapest OV rate and still owe $306 (some of which is taxes). Since I have already paid $200, I would only owe $106. That is sounding like the best deal right now. Of course, it will be about 6 more months before we have enough points.

Question for those of you who have recently redeemed points, were you also able to use your balcony discount? There is wording in the fine print that implies you cannot combine with other C&A discounts.

You are correct. I had considered the free cruise, but we already have a balcony booked. I wasn't sure how it would work because I did not want to lose my specific cabin booked, if I had to change to an outside and then upgrade to a balcony. If they will just apply the value of the outside, then it might work out to be the better deal.

Using the current prices, it looks like I could redeem 125,000 points for the free cruise at the cheapest OV rate and still owe $306 (some of which is taxes). Since I have already paid $200, I would only owe $106. That is sounding like the best deal right now. Of course, it will be about 6 more months before we have enough points.

Question for those of you who have recently redeemed points, were you also able to use your balcony discount? There is wording in the fine print that implies you cannot combine with other C&A discounts.

You can NOT use your balcony discount with the free cruise.

You are correct, they recently have stopped allowing the balcony discount in combination with the "free" cruise redemption.

The value of the free cruise is determined at the time of points redemption. Whatever the price of the least expensive available OV is the credit. In other words, sometimes it pays to book your balcony early and wait until the price of the OV has gone up before you redeem the points.

Edited by clarea

The last time we did a BOA redemption, we called the redemptions department after we had already booked a JS. They were great at walking us through the various options to determine what would be the most cost-effective way to use our points. As it turned out, using them for a "free OV" booking ended up being the best deal, even with losing the balcony discount.

We're looking at doing another redemption in October, and the numbers look like they will reverse (we'd be better off keeping the balcony discount and using the points for partial payment - by about $30)

thanks for reporting back on this.

This makes sense since they have to pay taxes and the prepaid gratuities to other parties in case, so they would be out of pocket on these.

You are correct, they recently have stopped allowing the balcony discount in combination with the "free" cruise redemption.

The value of the free cruise is determined at the time of points redemption. Whatever the price of the least expensive available OV is the credit. In other words, sometimes it pays to book your balcony early and wait until the price of the OV has gone up before you redeem the points.

So, hypothetically, if the price of the OV increases to $839pp (price we paid for balcony), and I then redeem my points, the free cruise option would cover the entire cost of the cruise fare for the balcony I have booked, excluding taxes? What if the OV increases to higher than $839pp?

So, hypothetically, if the price of the OV increases to $839pp (price we paid for balcony), and I then redeem my points, the free cruise option would cover the entire cost of the cruise fare for the balcony I have booked, excluding taxes? What if the OV increases to higher than $839pp?

You're limited to the max cost of the cruise (probably won't pay for taxes), or the max amount of the redemption, whichever is less.

If you call to have the award re-priced they will also re-price your balcony cabin.

I was told by BofA that you always want a balance on your cruise price of at least a $1 so that you can then accrue C&A points for that cruise. If it is totally free you do not get your points for the cruise.

Fran

I was told by BofA that you always want a balance on your cruise price of at least a $1 so that you can then accrue C&A points for that cruise. If it is totally free you do not get your points for the cruise.

Fran

That is true. If you get visited by the upgrade fairy, and are upgraded to a JS from a balcony, you won't get double points -- because you did not pay for the JS.

That is true. If you get visited by the upgrade fairy, and are upgraded to a JS from a balcony, you won't get double points -- because you did not pay for the JS.

I remember when this was not true. On our very first cruise we were upgraded to a JS from an E2 and got the double points. Oh how times have changed in just 8 years...:rolleyes:

I used points to redeem for 2 $500 off - so I got $1000 off -and now I am saving for onboard credits with points. I have done this before with no problems...

When we get to 125,000 points on our Visa Card, we check cruises for the most expensive Ocean View and wait to use those points on that cruise.

Example:

We were booked on a 7-night Caribbean out of NOLA on the Serenade.

And we were booked on the Freedom out of Cape Canaveral.

On the Serenade, the Ocean View was about $650 pp ($1300)

On the Freedom, the Ocean View was $1150 pp ($2300)

So, of course we saved the points to use on the Freedom cruise and got $2,300 credit for our 125k points. Almost twice the value.

We have been able to use the 125k points for a free cruise, and the Ocean View actually went up in price so it was more expensive than the balcony D1 we booked. We only had to pay the Taxes & Port fees for the D1. :D

Hope This Helps.