Golden Princess is coming to Australia in 2015

Kiwi_cruiser

I agree. That's the way many of us American West Coasters have felt for years. We always get the "left overs" - the ships no one else wants. Princess seems to be changing that a little now with the Crown coming soon.

You guys had the Diamond and Sapphire when they were new. :)

And I'm wondering what the cruise being in"Aussie dollars" will mean to those of us booking from the US?

Higher fares?

No discounts?

:confused:

I think that means everything onboard is in aussie dollars. Like the drink price will include the gratituity.

I guess it's a good thing for the cruise line that Princess is expanding its presence in Australia, but I agree that it is unfortunate that the preferable ships are being sent down there and those of us in North America will be left with fewer choices. Sometimes Princess makes it really difficult to remain loyal.

I guess it's a good thing for the cruise line that Princess is expanding its presence in Australia, but I agree that it is unfortunate that the preferable ships are being sent down there and those of us in North America will be left with fewer choices. Sometimes Princess makes it really difficult to remain loyal.

I agree. :(

Edited by Coral

And I'm wondering what the cruise being in"Aussie dollars" will mean to those of us booking from the US?

Higher fares?

No discounts?

:confused:

The currency used onboard should have no effect on the cost of the cruise or discounts available. Pricing will be based on what the Australian market can bear.

Onboard it means that all pricing will be in Australian $$ (photos, boutiques, shore excursions, beverages, etc.) and thus your onboard account will be in Australian $$. The ATM on the ship will dispense Australian currency.

If you do not live in Australia, you will need to decide if your charge card bank should convert from Australian $$ to your own currency or if Princess should do the conversion before it sends the charge to the bank. The latter is always a bad idea as the conversion rate will be poor and a 3% service charge will be added in addition to any fees your card may have for foreign based charges.

Edited by caribill

The currency used onboard should have no effect on the cost of the cruise or discounts available. Pricing will be based on what the Australian market can bear.

Onboard it means that all pricing will be in Australian $$ (photos, boutiques, shore excursions, beverages, etc.) and thus your onboard account will be in Australian $$. The ATM on the ship will dispense Australian currency.

If you do not live in Australia, you will need to decide if your charge card bank should convert from Australian $$ to your own currency or if Princess should do the conversion before it sends the charge to the bank. The latter is always a bad idea as the conversion rate will be poor and a 3% service charge will be added in addition to any fees your card may have for foreign based charges.

Thank you.

So we'll still pay for the cruise in US dollars. Right?

I think we Americans have gotten spoiled by being able to cruise the world and still have all shipboard charges in US dollars.

Do you have any idea if the crew would prefer their cash tips (we leave the "service charge" on but usually have such good staff that we like to tip some individuals extra at the end) in US dollars or Aussie dollars?

Also, I usually bring a couple of large bills and get my singles (for room service, etc.) from the Pursers desk. Will they have US change for a large US bill or do I need to bring those singles with me?

Thank you.

So we'll still pay for the cruise in US dollars. Right?

I think we Americans have gotten spoiled by being able to cruise the world and still have all shipboard charges in US dollars.

Do you have any idea if the crew would prefer their cash tips (we leave the "service charge" on but usually have such good staff that we like to tip some individuals extra at the end) in US dollars or Aussie dollars?

Also, I usually bring a couple of large bills and get my singles (for room service, etc.) from the Pursers desk. Will they have US change for a large US bill or do I need to bring those singles with me?

With much of the staff from other parts of Asia, I wonder what is best. The could use the AUD on shire during the cruise. Don't know whether USD or AUD would be better for sending to their home country. Maybe someone can post?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree.

When all we have to choose from are the mega liners is when I will eliminate cruising from my vacation list.

Mike:)

Or upgrade to a luxury line :)

You know I could have done that for what we are spending on our upcoming Ruby cruise. I just have a hard time "taking the plunge".

But if Princess keeps pushing it will get easier and easier.;)

Mike:)

The email I saw today said May 20th
It has also has been posted elsewhere that they will go on sale on May 20th. Although the Americas and Exotics won't go on sale until May 13th, the itineraries are available to TAs now. Was just wondering when TAs would get the Australia itineraries.

It has also has been posted elsewhere that they will go on sale on May 20th. Although the Americas and Exotics won't go on sale until May 13th, the itineraries are available to TAs now. Was just wondering when TAs would get the Australia itineraries.

It was part of the email I got today that had the Americas and Exotic itineraries. It talked about having Golden in AU but sadly no itineraries for her

AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, HAWAII, TAHITI & SOUTH PACIFIC

Our largest deployment ever with 5 ships in Australia — now including Golden Princess — for an extensive variety of exciting itineraries in the region!

OPENS FOR BOOKING

TUESDAY, MAY 20th at 11am EDT/ 8am PDT

Edited by Cruise Junky

I'm going to be overseas backpacking the silk road. So won't be around when bookings open. So curious about golden princess transpacific. I know sometimes us agents get the info prior to the opening. I have to try and monitor this thread while im away. Hate waiting. :D