Why Should I Book Thru A Travel Agency?

I’m preparing to book my fourth RCCL cruise. The first three were booked thru a regional travel agency with multiple outlets. Other than taking my order and money, my TA did absolutely nothing for me. Whenever I had a question, I was referred to the RC website for an answer.

Is there any reason to use a TA or am I better off to book directly with RCCL where I can make changes to my reservation online myself?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Find a better TA; one that will give you perks. What's the point of using a TA if there's no benefits involved? If I ever have an issue my TA spends time on the phone with RCI to sort it out, not me. I can still go on RCI website and make my own reservations/preferences. I have never missed out on a price drop. I get oodles of OBC. Royal suggested the TA I use. Why deal direct when there's no benefit?

Any price the cruiseline offers can be matched by an agent, and most will give you some credit on top of it. I usually figure $100 per cabin for every $1000 in total cost($500pp cruise). To save 10% I'm willing to go with an agent even though I can easily book online myself.

For our upcoming Quantum 11 nites cruise we're getting from out TA prepaid gratuities, specialty restaurant for 2 and $100 towards spa treatment. With these perks in conjunctions with no airfare, no insurance, add'l OBC and balcony discount we're getting a 11 niter for about the same cost as a 7 niter.

Go up to the top of the RC board and type in " TA " in the "search this forum" box.

It will give you probably 10,000,000,000 threads on this topic..

Of course,as was mentioned to you when you posted a similarly non-responsive response to another post, about half of those threads will refer to Transatlantic =TA cruises, and not to Travel Agents or Travel Agencies. At least the rest of the responses have contained opinions that might be helpful to the OP.:rolleyes:

Travel agents are a waste of time they serve as an unnecessary buffer between you and the cruise line.

However as long as they get you the best price and cruise credits I use them. I hate dealing with them after the cruise is booked as they seem to care less.

Wish we could deal direct with cruise lines after cruise was booked.

Its time cruise lines do as the airlines have done and cut out the agents.

Its fine if someone wants to deal with them but they should pay for the service

Of course,as was mentioned to you when you posted a similarly non-responsive response to another post, about half of those threads will refer to Transatlantic =TA cruises, and not to Travel Agents or Travel Agencies. At least the rest of the responses have contained opinions that might be helpful to the OP.:rolleyes:

Has he EVER posted helpful information before? If so, I missed it.

I know there is probably twenty or so posts about this stateroom but I have not been able to find a one . what is the stateroom number and is it for all freedom class ship getting ready to book for next year and would like to try it out . thanks

I know there is probably twenty or so posts about this stateroom but I have not been able to find a one . what is the stateroom number and is it for all freedom class ship getting ready to book for next year and would like to try it out . thanks

6305, for Freedom, Liberty, and Indy only.

Yes, the Freedom of the Seas has a Ben & Jerry's suite (cow butt room) on Deck 6, but don't have the # right off hand. Can get it though, so will post back later, or you can search the Freedom of the Seas posts for "cow" and probably find it!:rolleyes: It always books early, as it is one of the favorite cabins and allows access to the CL with all of those perks, as well as FREE ICE CREAM!!!:p

6305, for Freedom, Liberty, and Indy only.

Ahhh, you beat me to it!:o Had to go back and research a little but this is what I found:

Just saw this on the RCI thread and thought it was interesting enough to pass on! Anyone staying in any of these cabins?:confused::cool:

The "secret" cabins I know about are on Freedom class (Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, and Independence of the Seas).

The Ben & Jerry's "Sweet" (aka the "cow butt" cabin), 6305, is a category PR (Promenade view) cabin, but because of the obstructed view (of the aforementioned cow butts), you get a cabin decorated with a cow theme and lots of cow tchotchkes, free ice cream of each person each day of the cruise, and access to the "Cowcierge" (Concierge) Lounge which includes lots of freebies, such as drinks and hors d'ouvres before dinner and a continental breakfast. Supposedly you can also order off the regular main dining room menu from room service, but we didn't try that.

Cabins 1400 and 1700 are category D1 cabins, located in the aft-corners on deck 10, but are extra large (comparable to a JS in size). The downside is a support pole that's in the middle of the cabin. For anyone I've talked to who've been in one of these cabins, the pole was a non-issue and the cabin was a fantastic deal.

Good luck if your TA is on vacation or can't be reached and you find a price drop. RCCL will not talk with you directly.

I prefer to forego the perks to maintain control of my reservation.

Any good TA makes sure that his or her clients have coverage when the agent is personally unavailable, so your scenario is more scary than realistic. Service is the keyword for any successful travel agent and if special perks are your only criterion for decidiing between dealing directly with a cruiseline or using a travel agency, then perhaps a direct relationship is your best option. However, in the event of a conflict between you and the cruiseline, how likely is it that someone who works for the cruiseline will suddenly become a strong advocate for you?

I prefer to forego the perks to maintain control of my reservation.

Agreed.

Any of the perks Ive seen for booking through a TA would have to be far better than they currently are to get me to book with them. I have seen a substantial price drop late at night before that wasnt there the very next morning at 9am. One call to a CSR at RCI and my price was lowered without any problems.

If I ever run into a conflict with RCI, I guess I will just cross that bridge when I get to it. :)

Edited by ryano

We book all of our transportation (boats, trains, planes) with our local travel agent who came well recommended. I like having somebody having my back if there's a problem.

Her price is the same as RCCL will give me and the discount she gives on Trip Insurance is more than equal to any OBC an online company would give. So, at worst, we break even with $$.

When I go in to see her I've already done my research and know what ship, date and cabin I want. (It's a retired teacher thing :) ) She does the rest.

With a TA booking you CAN book online excursions yourself as well as order any type of specialty dining and/or drink/wine packages. Since we always pick the cabin we want (don't normally want to change cabins) this works out well for us.

Any good TA makes sure that his or her clients have coverage when the agent is personally unavailable,

Not all TAs are good. The very scenario I described has happened to me.

Better to maintain control and know that I can talk directly with RCCL, rather than calling a TA, who then has to call RCCL, who then has to call me back.

Agreed.

Any of the perks Ive seen for booking through a TA would have to be far better than they currently are to get me to book with them. I have seen a substantial price drop late at night before that wasnt there the very next morning at 9am. One call to a CSR at RCI and my price was lowered without any problems.

If I ever run into a conflict with RCI, I guess I will just cross that bridge when I get to it. :)

That doesn't happen when booking from UK, no price matching at all, and we are unable to book with RCCL direct from here either. We are unable to cancel without losing our deposit prior to the final payment too, so in future we shall be booking through a US travel agent. It seems you have far more control and more perks on offer in the US and the choice to cancel if you wish without losing out financially.

We are currently booked on a Baltic cruise, but if travel sanctions are imposed by Russia meaning that St Petersburg is taken off our itinerary then we would wish to cancel, thereby losing a big deposit. We wouldn't want to have either two extra sea days or substituted ports where we have probably already visited before.

I used a TA for my upcoming cruise for 6 ppl needing 3 cabins for me it was just easier. I was having computer issues do I called my regular TA that I use for other vacations( all inclusive ). Reading all these post , I'm laughing. I don't think she gave me anything!!!! If she did it will be a surprise! Would I see this info anywhere? LOL

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Any price the cruiseline offers can be matched by an agent, and most will give you some credit on top of it. I usually figure $100 per cabin for every $1000 in total cost($500pp cruise). To save 10% I'm willing to go with an agent even though I can easily book online myself.

We always get about 10% from our TA as OBC. Why pass it up?

It still narrows it down alot.

Better than a brand new topic started every other day...

Agreed.

What's considered a "substantial" price drop? I've done a lot of cruises, mostly in a balcony and, not counting after final payment, I've never seen a drop of more than $100 p.p. I usually make that up, and more through obcs and other percs from my online agency. If you seen more than that, is it possible that you overpaid to begin with? Except for Europe, and the Allure of the Seas, I have never paid more than $90 p.p., per night, not including the percs I get back.