harwich International Port

clamar

Has anyone deported to/fro Harwich port on a cruise with any line recentaly ? I am looked at at a cruise with Hal round trip Harwich and it appears a bit far from London. I would be flying into/out of London and I don't thik I would like an additional 2 hours (or more) added to the trip to the airport. I would appreciate any information on this port.

Thank you

Clamar

I am looked at at a cruise with Hal round trip Harwich and it appears a bit far from London. I would be flying into/out of London and I don't thik I would like an additional 2 hours (or more) added to the trip to the airport. I would appreciate any information on this port.
Only a few cruise ships depart from London. All of the usual ports for big ships are in different cities a couple of hours away from London: Dover, Harwich and Southampton. There are lots of different ways of getting from London (or a London airport) to each of these ports.

Has anyone deported to/fro Harwich port on a cruise with any line recentaly ? I am looked at at a cruise with Hal round trip Harwich and it appears a bit far from London. I would be flying into/out of London and I don't thik I would like an additional 2 hours (or more) added to the trip to the airport. I would appreciate any information on this port.

Thank you

Clamar

I believe it's about an hour and a half out of London, at least according to the Future Cruise Consultant on our last cruise. This is about as far as Dover and closer than Southampton. There aren't any better options unless you can get a cruise in and out of Tilbury.

We left on a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Harwich a couple of years ago. We took the train from London. There is a non-stop cruise train from London. When you get off the train, the ship is right there. You literally walk from the train, hand over your luggage walk inside to check in. It was very easy. We had spent 3 nights in Paris, rode the fast train from Paris to London and spent the night in London before going to the port the next day.

We left on a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Harwich a couple of years ago. We took the train from London. There is a non-stop cruise train from London. When you get off the train, the ship is right there. You literally walk from the train, hand over your luggage walk inside to check in. It was very easy. We had spent 3 nights in Paris, rode the fast train from Paris to London and spent the night in London before going to the port the next day.

From which London Train Station did you catch the train to Harwich?

The trains leave from Liverpool Street Station in London. We caught the train coming from Harwich to London after getting off the ferry from The Netherlands. This site http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/harwich_london_transfers.htm has lots of information. (apologies if this doesn't work as a link, technology is not my strong point, but it should work if you copy it into your address bar)

Trains to Harwich operate from London Liverpool Street.

The trains leave from Liverpool Street Station in London. We caught the train coming from Harwich to London after getting off the ferry from The Netherlands. This site http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/harwich_london_transfers.htm has lots of information. (apologies if this doesn't work as a link, technology is not my strong point, but it should work if you copy it into your address bar)

Thank you both for your replies.

Yes, the link works.

Edited by erewhon

We have twice been in the Harwich Port and have used Hal transfer and private transportation. It is several hour trip depending on the traffic. We enjoyed both, of course the private transfer is expensive and the bus to us was very enjoyable too and for a reasonable cost. We have rode the train out of Liverpool station but to Ipswich. If you think the bus seats are crowded and you will find the train seats no better. We also enjoyed the train ride very much. Your on vacation enjoy!!!

Edited by boards

BOY,, where were you guys when I booked on the maasdam for a TA a couple of yrs. ago-- I assumed the port was just outside London and my agent said nothing, I booked the pre cruise stay by myself, after trying to book a taxi the day of sailing, and it being sunday, I was getting very worried, but finally one guy said ok but for a extra charge, and then we started ( he also didn't know where to go, so i was the map reader, we took some wrong turns but got going in the right direction, 3 hours later, just as the staff was closing up the entrance, they where shocked at how close I was to missing her . and to this day I shiver at the thought of being a couple more min. late considering as to I had to give the taxi guy all my spare $ ( it was over 300 $) but it did make the start to a great cruise adventure--( later on that front)

Edited by maxie99

There are a couple of trains that you can take. One of them you have to change trains mid-way. The cruise train goes direct from Liverpool Street Station with no stops. We had spent extra for first class but it really wasn't necessary. Our car only had the 4 of us plus 2 other people. The other cars didn't look crowded either. It was a nice relaxing way to go. I think the cruise train cost a little more than the other one but well worth it.

The only train I would take to the port would be the special one. There is not a lot of space to put your and you do the handling of the luggage in a tight space the aisle way of a train. We only had carry on luggage the time took the train to Ipswich and that was awkward enough. I agree though, it is great and reasonable cost if you can handle it.

London, UK is one of our favourite places to visit.