Using credit card at ATM

Marseydotes

Credit cards have chips. ATM cards do not.

In europe all cards have chips as a debit card doubles as an ATM card, and most can be used wherever visa/mastercard/maestro are accepted, and so therefore can also be used in ticket machines etc that only take chipped cards.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse tryping orrers.

Make sure your financial institution knows what countries you will be visiting.

Make sure you know what withdrawal fees your bank will charge.

You will need a four digit PIN.

If your first request is refused, try again for a smaller amount. The foreign banks generally have a limit on what you can withdraw. This is to reduce the loss if a stolen card is used.

For ATM use, your unchipped card will be just fine, as long as you have a PIN for it and you use an ATM that your card is associated with (look on the back of your card for these).

The unchipped card has issues when you try to use kiosks - ticket kiosks, self-serve gas stations, unmanned toll highway exits...Also, anectdotal stories of some restaurants and stores not accepting unchipped cards, but they are merely that - anectdotal.

Some CC companies are issuing chip & signature cards in the US (AMEX Plat, for example). So, just because you have a chip and and a PIN for a card, it doesn't mean that it will work as such. My Plat AMEX has a PIN in case I need to access emergency cash, but it doesn't work in self-serve kiosks...

You really should check your facts before posting,

The OP is from the US. US ATM cards do not have chip technology. My non- chip US ATM card has never, in over 70 days, and probably 20+ uses in Europe over the last 3 years, been rejected or had any other problem with use.

We have also never had a problem using a normal US magnetic strip debit/ATM card. However, we will echo what has been said in not using a credit card in an ATM machine. You will usually get hit with some nasty fees plus interest will be charged from the date of withdrawal. If you have a combination debit/credit/ATM card you should also beware. A combination card might default to the credit card mode and cost you some major fees. Most banks will issue you a stand-alone debit/ATM card if you ask.

Hank

We have to use the credit button to get money out overseas with our Australian card (which is both a credit and debit with chip) If the credit account does not have a positive balance, the fees are dreadful with our particular bank.

You really have to take the time to thoroughly read the conditions of your card, tedious as that task is!

Credit cards have chips. ATM cards do not.

I don't know if PNC Bank is out west or not, but they are big in the East...and have this available...

"Speed through the checkout

Visa payWave is a faster, easier way to make purchases wherever you see this symbol. You can ask for this optional feature when you request a new debit card."

This is, obviously, an application of rfid tech.

It has been available for several years. l don't know if it works in Europe and I havent seen a place to actually use it in the US, but I don't get out much. :rolleyes:

Edited by thinfool

I don't know if PNC Bank is out west or not, but they are big in the East...and have this available...

Visa payWave is a faster, easier way to make purchases wherever you see this symbol. You can ask for this optional feature when you request a new debit card."

It has been available for several years. l don't know if it works in Europe and I havent seen a place to actually use it in the US, but I don't get out much. :rolleyes:

We have never seen RFID being used in Europe...where cards use the Chip/PIN EMV system (used everywhere in the world accept in the USA). One problem with RFID is that it is a security nightmare since anyone nearby with the right kind of scanner can capture your RFID info. This is why many folks with those cards have learned to keep them in a "shielded" case or sleeve.

Hank

We have never seen RFID being used in Europe...where cards use the Chip/PIN EMV system (used everywhere in the world accept in the USA). One problem with RFID is that it is a security nightmare since anyone nearby with the right kind of scanner can capture your RFID info. This is why many folks with those cards have learned to keep them in a "shielded" case or sleeve.

Hank

Thanks!

Edited by thinfool

Hank

I think the concerns on RFID chips are a bit overblown. See here:

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/identity/pickpocket.asp

Nevertheless, the EMV chip-and-pin cards, which require contact with a reader, are certainly safer.

The 'tap and pay' or wave and pay is very common here in Canada, or at least here in Toronto! You can only do this for purchases less than $100 I think. To tap and pay you just tap your debit card on to the card reader in the store, and you're done. You do not need to enter a PIN.