Do celebrity cruisers complain more?

maxsales

Many Cruise Critic members end up sailing together and the vale of the internet goes away. The personal 'he said, I'm right, your wrong' (TRASH talk as they call it in sports) does not happen on ship because there is no where for the trash talker to hide from the glares of the rest of the passengers.

Yes there is a bit of conversation about this or that between roll call members, but in over 10 years of posting on a roll call, then meeting others on ship, we have never experienced what goes on here, EVER.

IMHO, which won't get you anything anywhere:D, until Cruise Critic does away with the 'hide behind the screen name' design on the site, and joins FB and Twitter, and takes away the vale of the internet, this type of behavior will continue. Then we can complain about the decisions of the CEO here too.:rolleyes:

Now don't tell me that it will comprise safety. When you have your mail held, the morning paper not delivered, ect, the cust svc rep tells their cousin that is out on bail about it:eek:

I think you nailed it right there. The most civil forum I've ever been on (for almost 20 years now!:eek:) requires the use of full first/last names, no screen names allowed. Facebook is the same way, not sure about twitter - if it is, seems like a higher percentage of folks successfully ignore it on twitter. But on that forum, there's not nearly the nastiness, snarkiness or sniping that I see on several other forums across multiple diverse interests, and the rest of those like CC operate on anonymous screen names.

Many Cruise Critic members end up sailing together and the vale of the internet goes away. The personal 'he said, I'm right, your wrong' (TRASH talk as they call it in sports) does not happen on ship because there is no where for the trash talker to hide from the glares of the rest of the passengers.

Yes there is a bit of conversation about this or that between roll call members, but in over 10 years of posting on a roll call, then meeting others on ship, we have never experienced what goes on here, EVER.

IMHO, which won't get you anything anywhere:D, until Cruise Critic does away with the 'hide behind the screen name' design on the site, and joins FB and Twitter, and takes away the vale of the internet, this type of behavior will continue. Then we can complain about the decisions of the CEO here too.:rolleyes:

Now don't tell me that it will comprise safety. When you have your mail held, the morning paper not delivered, ect, the cust svc rep tells their cousin that is out on bail about it:eek:

We don't do that, either.

We have our kids take in the mail.

I don't say anything on here that I wouldn't want said to me but I'd NEVER post on FB that I'll be out of town.

Why can't we just be considerate because it's the right thing to do? (I know, that's rhetorical, don't bother answering.)

First off........we love Celebrity BUT we do sail other lines......look at the itinerary etc...

I can understand Celebrity changing to attract new cruisers (as long as it doesn't change too much!) and can understand the cutbacks etc. We've thoroughly enjoyed all our cruises..OK we got one egg instead of two for our room service breakfast....did it matter? No.........where it matters, Celebrity is the best of the main stream lines (in our opinion).

What really gets me.............is the nastiness ......personal........on this board. It's playground behaviour............

Change is a constant. Unfortunately some can't deal with it. :)

I used to agree with the OP about constant complaints about almost anything possible. Then I looked at the Regent Seven Sea boards. What a group!

Constant complaints about poor food and service. Everything is worse then it used to be.

Numerous threads outlining why an OP is entitled to special perks.

Even worse were the vicious responses to posters who made negative comments. On the =X= boards people only get flamed. On Regent's boards they nuke them. After all, what reasonable person would complain about having brown water in their sink, toilet or bath? It happens all the time and it's harmless. Seriously?

On a positive note, reading their board eliminated any desire to cruise with RSSC. Saved money.

Yes, we seem to complain a lot but I'll take =X= any day over RSSC because of their attitude. Don't want to be with those folks.

Interesting comment. My travel agent has been after me to try Crystal. Lower single supplement. So I went to those boards to see what the tone was like. Also decided I didn't want to be sailing with those folks.

Interesting comment. My travel agent has been after me to try Crystal. Lower single supplement. So I went to those boards to see what the tone was like. Also decided I didn't want to be sailing with those folks.

I wonder how many people have browsed the Celebrity Board recently and formed the same opinion of Celebrity that you did of Crystal, with the result being "decided I didn't want to be sailing with those folks" ??

From what I notice, Celebrity cruisers do complain more. Royal Caribbean cruisers can be uptight loyalists, complainers beware. From what I've heard and read, Princess elites can be more of a fuss on the ships than the cc members are on the threads.

Holland America seems to have the most low maintenance bunch!

I wonder how many people have browsed the Celebrity Board recently and formed the same opinion of Celebrity that you did of Crystal, with the result being "decided I didn't want to be sailing with those folks" ??

Unfortunately too many. It is a sad side effect of all the complaints that people looking at celebrity for the first time may be turned off.

Unfortunately too many. It is a sad side effect of all the complaints that people looking at celebrity for the first time may be turned off.

As was said a few weeks back on another thread. With over 1,000,000:eek: butts in beds a year on Celebrity, Cruise Critic comments are a small drop in the bucket.

The Princess web site no longer directs passengers to the Roll Call boards on CC to 'connect' before you sail, but to FB. One has to wonder how long till the other lines get fed up and do the same.

Just to clarify - I think 2 very different trains of thought have developed on this thread.

1) There is a problem with a lot of people complaining about things on the Celebrity boards

2) The problem is the (and I'm quoting from previous posts) nastiness, pettiness, viciousness, snarkiness and meanness of the people toward each other on the Celebrity boards.

I, for one, have absolutely no problem with the people complaining about things. It just doesn't affect me. I can read it and take it or leave it.

My problem is when people attack each other.

Just speaking for myself but I think the two issues are separate.

(And in fairness to the OP - he was referring to #1 above when he started this thread.)

As was said a few weeks back on another thread. With over 1,000,000:eek: butts in beds a year on Celebrity, Cruise Critic comments are a small drop in the bucket.

The Princess web site no longer directs passengers to the Roll Call boards on CC to 'connect' before you sail, but to FB. One has to wonder how long till the other lines get fed up and do the same.

You are a wise person. A million passengers in bed on Celebrity each year!

Is that number for 7 ships? Or 8 counting Century?

I was about to post asking this question and saw your post, I hope it isn't a hijack but:

I read you attended a Celebrity meeting in Texas.

How was it that you attended the meeting?

I'd like to attend a Celebrity meeting if one is held in Virginia.

Thanks,

Penny

Edited by PinotBlanc

Before my first Celebrity cruise early last year I started to check out this board and the thought of cancelling my cruise did cross my mind. Yikes, after reading the nastiness around here I sure didn't want to meet up with any of "those folks". I avoided the Roll Call for this reason. We ended up going on the cruise and everyone I met was very nice, and I'm sure that one or two of them might even have been CC members.:eek:. I guess most people are nicer out in the real world then hiding behind their keyboards. ;)

I have only monitored the NCL and now Celebrity forums. I do think Celebrity people are a lot more negative. I want to get hints and advice, not just complaints. The major complaint on the NCL forums is the bathrooms on the Epic. Boy, do people hate those bathrooms.

I basically monitor three threads, celebrity, Princess and royal Caribbean. In my entirely unscientific opinion people posting on the celebrity thread complain far more then on the other two. My imagination or do others notice this as well?

I find it telling that you also started a thread criticizing Celebrity's choice for identifying frequent cruisers. Did you do the same for Princess Loyalty program that also uses the term Elite?

In reading many post on various threads I notice that many people list their achieved membership rewards levels be it with Celebrity or any other cruise line. No problem there as a higher level indicates an experienced cruiser whose input may carry more weight

However it started me thinking about X and the names they have chosen, especially Elite and Elite Plus. I would like to see X change the names for those two levels. To me they sound quite pretentious. " Hello I am an Elite plus, and you are?" Smacks of being a wannabe member of some royal family.

You complain about Celebrity followers for complaining, post a complaint about Celebrity loyalty terminology but don't post a complaint on the Princess board for using the term Elite in their program. Seems a bit inconsistent. I think, that for consistency, you should up the Princess complaint level by posting a similar Elitist terminology post.

IMHO, which won't get you anything anywhere:D, until Cruise Critic does away with the 'hide behind the screen name' design on the site, and joins FB and Twitter, and takes away the vale of the internet, this type of behavior will continue.

The different aspect of Facebook is that one communicates with people who have befriended one another. There is an ignore function on these boards but the attacker's "trash talk" is still visible to others. There is no way to exclude posters on this open forum or to set up a group to discuss any topic that exclude people that some of us would really like to avoid. The only option to many of us is to lurk and not express our opinion.

Most of these complaints are trivial.. a lot of times boards can take this sort of turn when they have poor moderation. I don't know if there are actually moderators here or if the board is self-moderating. Maybe that is the reason.

There's a lot more "moderation" on here than most folks realize.;)

The different aspect of Facebook is that one communicates with people who have befriended one another. There is an ignore function on these boards but the attacker's "trash talk" is still visible to others. There is no way to exclude posters on this open forum or to set up a group to discuss any topic that exclude people that some of us would really like to avoid. The only option to many of us is to lurk and not express our opinion.

Not to hi-jack the topic:) but we are members of 2 non profit running clubs in Dallas, one with 4000+ members, ( which has their own msg board ) the other with 1800+, we are not 'friends' on FB with them all. Yet on the group page all can post, and all can see and comment, friends or not. So it can, and is being done. That is where most of our 'connections' were made when we sailed the Ruby in 2012, not on CC.

You are a wise person. A million passengers in bed on Celebrity each year!

Is that number for 7 ships? Or 8 counting Century?

Very ruff math:D 8 ships @ 2500 pax per week = 20,000 X 52 = 1,040,000 like I said, very ruff math!

I was about to post asking this question and saw your post, I hope it isn't a hijack but:

I read you attended a Celebrity meeting in Texas.

How was it that you attended the meeting?

I'd like to attend a Celebrity meeting if one is held in Virginia.

Thanks,

Penny

I dont know how Celebrity chose to send the invites out, we got an email. A couple on our next sailing just got back from one they held in Washington DC, again, the invite came in an email from the Capt Club.

We are planning our first Celebrity after a rather disappointing cruise on the latest Princess ship Royal. Was the cruise bad.....certainly not were there things we did not like yup but part of the biggest issue was the large number of elite cruisers and their attitude toward staff and everyone around them...it was embarrassing to see how some treated the staff and others and of course that cruise was the one which pushed us to in the next loyalty level...for which we would get a few new perks but really right now that is a lessor concern.This thread concerns me and I do agree that it is easy to be negative behind a screen name but people also tend to be able to write things that they would never ever say to someones face. I hope that I have not made a mistake jumping lines.

We are planning our first Celebrity after a rather disappointing cruise on the latest Princess ship Royal. Was the cruise bad.....certainly not were there things we did not like yup but part of the biggest issue was the large number of elite cruisers and their attitude toward staff and everyone around them...it was embarrassing to see how some treated the staff and others and of course that cruise was the one which pushed us to in the next loyalty level...for which we would get a few new perks but really right now that is a lessor concern.This thread concerns me and I do agree that it is easy to be negative behind a screen name but people also tend to be able to write things that they would never ever say to someones face. I hope that I have not made a mistake jumping lines.

Celebrity is a great cruise line and hopefully you will feel the same when you return from your first cruise. Negative and rude people are all over, but hopefully, just like me, you will not encounter them on the ship and the ones on here, you can ignore.

Enjoy your first Celebrity cruise!

Edited by NLH Arizona

I don't think Celebrity has any more complainers than any other cruise line, a lot of what is said on any board can be taken out of context, the written word can seem harsher than the spoken, and sometimes an opinion can be taken as a complaint when it is not meant that way :)

IMHO, which again, wont get you anything, anywhwere:D You will be pleased with your decision. We have sailed Princess since 1992, and Celebrity since 1993. We have seen some of the same on Princess, but have never had that happen on a sailing with Celebrity.

Oh there will always be one here or there that think they should be at the front of the line and be catered to hand and foot, cant get away from that no matter which line we sail. Please do a post with your thoughts when you return.

EW

I was just saying last night to my husband (we are Elite members) that a first time cruiser would have no way of knowing they should feel slighted by the fact that Michael's is now a club for Elite Plus and above members or being offended by a portion of the MDR being carved into Suite Dining. They would have a wonderful cruise on a beautiful ship with great staff.

Unless they read about Celebrity on these boards!!

I have only monitored the NCL and now Celebrity forums. I do think Celebrity people are a lot more negative. I want to get hints and advice, not just complaints. The major complaint on the NCL forums is the bathrooms on the Epic. Boy, do people hate those bathrooms.

I will have to agree with you on the NCL complaint! I found that there were a lot of Happy Cruisers on NCL Epic. I've notice equal complaints on the boards for both Celebrity and Princess. This is Cruise Critic; maybe the critics hang out here to complain.

In my experience, cruisers on Princess and RCCL are generally older than cruisers on Celebrity.

When it comes to these boards, the age difference seems even more profound. This particular board seems to be filled with very experienced, generally older Celebrity Elites. The Princess and RCCL boards seem to be much more dominated by newbies and less-experienced cruisers. Their boards also have many more young cruisers with school-age children.

While the vast majority of older, experienced cruisers are wonderful and generally easy-to-please, there is a tiny, but VERY vocal minority of curmudgeons -- they're the get-off-my-lawn types that pine for the glory days of cruising when Captain Stubbing and Julie McCoy were running the ship.

Sadly, this board seems to have quite a few of those impossible-to-please grumps who constantly gripe about the most insignificant inconvenience or less-than-perfect service.

Then again, go over to the HAL board. While the overly-vocal curmudgeons are very much in the minority here, they're all over the HAL board.

I think there are four major reasons why you see so many of the regular, or experienced Celebrity cruisers complaining. They feel slighted and don't understand why things aren't as they "used to be".

1.) The company is headed in a different direction than previously - to attract a different clientele base.

I understand their decision, and as a stockholder am not opposed to most of it. Gone (or going) are many things that used to be part of the cruise experience (only early or late seating, tableside service, dance hosts, bridge, large card rooms, large libraries, etc., to name a few).

New cruisers don't know what they are missing - it's all new to them! Just as many seasoned cruisers don't know what they are missing from 20 years ago on board a cruise ship or ocean liner, it's the same today, with new cruisers. You don't miss what you haven't had - it's all relative.

Celebrity is banking on the future with new clientele. They have done marketing research for years, and I trust, know what they are doing. Many seasoned cruisers are not happy with the changes, but also, many seasoned cruisers know how to do a cruise economically, and how to take short cuts with their budget.

I feel that experienced cruisers don't spend as much as new cruisers, on a whole, while on a ship. They don't buy all the extras like shore excursions, spa treatments, art auctions, photos, specialty dining, drinks, drink packages, etc. The newer generation seems to have more disposable income than the retirees who are living on more of a budget.

I can't tell you how many times I have walked thru lounges on ships to see them half empty, and to see that most of those sitting have no drinks on their tables unless it is from a beverage package. That does not make money for the cruise line. I think I understand Celebrity's marketing change, they know the demographics and what people spend.

I am Elite Plus with Celebrity and often visit the lounge set aside for us in the evening for complimentary cocktails and hors. During those hours, I rarely see anyone who is eligible for those benefits in any of the other lounges (with great views) buying drinks. They know the system and don't want to spend more money.

I have also met many cruisers who feel that they have paid $x amount of money to be on the ship and don't plan on spending a dime more. They are going to get their monies worth, and are entitled to it, not spending more. That is not the clientele that the cruise lines are looking for. Yes, they will help fill a ship so it does not sail empty, but they are not making any money from them.

2.) The economy has forced them to cut back in all areas of the business.

Unfortunately Carnival seems to be setting the standard of how to run a cruise line efficiently. They seem to have the lowest price to beat, and thus keep the other lines from raising their base fares to stay competitive. Every department, of every mass market cruise line, has looked at all areas in which they can cut back in order to stay competitive. From staffing, to food, to entertainment, to amenities, all cruise lines have made major cut backs in the past 5 years.

One of the most obvious of changes is the number of staff that has been cut back. Cabin attendants have many more cabins to clean than ever, wait staff have more tables and guests to make happy, wine sommeliers have more sections to cover, officers have more work on their plates because of staff cuts, and doing double duty, etc.

I feel bad for the employees because they are trying to do their best in making guests happy (somethng they take pride in doing) but their hands are tied and they have no controll over the situation, other than to be at the brunt of the complaints of unhappy guests. It's unfortunate, but not their fault.

Also, there have been many changes to existing ships and new builds. Prime real estate on ships has been reconfigured to maximize profits, and marketed as a benefit for the guest (think the "Emperor's New Clothes"). Everything from large dance floors, complete promenade decks, views, game rooms, movie theaters, are all being sacrificed for profit generating venues and marketed as a benefit for the guest. A perfect example is what RCI is doing to their Voyage Class ships, by adding new cabins on deck _, blocking the views of the ocean from the gym. Another perfect example is what Princess has done with their new ship - so long free steam & sauna, and a complete promenade deck.

3.) Necessary changes to the Captain's Club

Something had to be done to change the existing system because of the increasing number at the top levels. I don't want this to become a topic of complaints about the changes, so let's keep that for another thread please! Let's just say that the changes may not have been the best for some of the established Captain's Club members, and leave it at that. At any rate it increased the complaints about Celebrity, the topic at hand.

4.) People buck change.

People resist change, and when it happens, they complain, thus the increase in complaints on the Celebrity boards. You'll see many complaints on the Princess boards about their new builds and the direction that company is taking. I do not follow the HAL, NCL, or CCL boards, so don't know what the current topics of complaints are on those.

I have accepted the fact that the cruise industry is a business. I also accept the fact that the industry is in constant change. Their number one goal is to make money and keep their stock holders happy. The number two goal is to make the guest happy. I think most changes in the past 5 yrs are a result of that philosophy. All the mass market cruise lines are making many changes to stay competitive in this market.

These are the reasons I feel you see so many complaints on the Celebrity boards.

You make a lot of undoubtedly valid and valuable observations -- but do not these very aspects apply to all cruise lines, more or less? Your views still don't answer the question about why Celebrity pax complain more (if they do.) I'm not sure this question can really be answered authoritatively -- all we can do is throw out hypotheses.

Is it possible that Princess, for example, has actually changed less over the years than has Celebrity? If so, complaining might be the inevitable result for X but not for Princess, as I, too, think that most folks don't relish change, especially "if it ain't broke!"

I see a lot of complaining on the Princess boards about loss of respect (read "perks") for loyal pax, and a good deal of complaining about the newest ships. Both aspects represent "change." On the other hand, I sense that Princess pax are the most loyal bunch of all the lines -- they just can't seem to get enough of Princess, even with various changes. Not sure why...

Edited by SeagoingMom