Best non excursion thing you did or found

lostnda50s

Have you ever just walked around, maybe with in a mile of the ship, and found the ie. best lil Mom n Pop craft shop, that they hand made themselves. Or, Again, a Mom n Pops hole in the wall that had the best authenic food. Non commercialized places. Your all smart people. You get my drift.

It doesnt't matter what my taste is. I want to know of your experiences.

Nassau

Half Moon

Grand Turk

It's getting so nice here! All the Spring flowers are out. The house smells like a florist shop. Should we really go?

:rolleyes: I'm Lost

Thanks for your input:cool:

None of your ports listed but we found a chocolate factory in Barbados .

...we had to book prior to arriving so not really just wandering from the port

Best dark chocolate ever ;)

Have you ever just walked around, maybe with in a mile of the ship, and found the ie. best lil Mom n Pop craft shop, that they hand made themselves. Or, Again, a Mom n Pops hole in the wall that had the best authenic food. Non commercialized places. Your all smart people. You get my drift.

It doesnt't matter what my taste is. I want to know of your experiences.

Nassau

Half Moon

Grand Turk

It's getting so nice here! All the Spring flowers are out. The house smells like a florist shop. Should we really go?

:rolleyes: I'm Lost

Thanks for your input:cool:

Half Moon is a private island so you will have luck there. Grand Turk is almost a private island with the port area built up by Carnival so I don't think you will have much luck there either. Nassau is probably your best bet. We've only walked as far as the Pirate Museum and didn't stop at any Mom's and Pop's. We did purchase a painting from a gentleman doing the painting right along the road to the straw market. BTW you will find the vendors to be very aggressive in Nassau. Be ready to say No thank you and don't stop to look at anything very long (unless you are really interested in it) or they will pounce.

Edited by Warm Breezes

We seldom do "excursions", but to get the most of your DIY time, you should get a guidebook on your ports....that will allow you to know everything there is about each place you visit. You don't need to pay for excursions to have a great day, but you do need to know something about where you're going!

The "private island/beach" days are just that...a beach day. There will be loungers for your use, take your pool towels, and find a spot to suit you! Lunch will be served on the beach by the ship...I LOVE private beach days!!!

Things like beaches, shopping, restaurants, etc....are very easy to DIY...some places have public buses to help you get around a bit further afield. Get a guidebook....it will truly enhance your time ashore.

Edited by cb at sea

Half Moon is a private island so you will have luck there. Grand Turk is almost a private island with the port area built up by Carnival so I don't think you will have much luck there either. Nassau is probably your best bet. We've only walked as far as the Pirate Museum and didn't stop at any Mom's and Pop's. We did purchase a painting from a gentleman doing the painting right along the road to the straw market. BTW you will find the vendors to be very aggressive in Nassau. Be ready to say No thank you and don't stop to look at anything very long (unless you are really interested in it) or they will pounce.

Sorry...meant "won't have any". Fingers were faster than my brain :o.

My favorite discovery is a beach in St. Thomas within (long) walking distance from the pier. I read about it here, obviously.

The only time we went to Grand Turk, we took a snorkeling excursion. I think next time we'll just relax at the beach beside the pier and enjoy watching people wipe out on the artificial surf machine at Margaritaville.

Not specific to any of the ports of call you list, but we don't take any ship excursions and find our own way at virtually every port of call. We have found several nice local restaurants in St. Kitts, St. Martin, Old San Juan, and Cozumel to name a few. We also head - often by taxi - to beaches on most islands on our own. We have rented cars and explored several islands as well.

IMO, Bermuda is by far the best to see on your own as the entire island is within easy reach by the public bus / ferry system and everything there to do and see can be done independently and at your own schedule.

It has been suggested to do your research ahead of time by way of a guide book. Advance research is indeed very good advice, but we have found that the internet - as well as the ports of call forums on CC - is a far easier and more thorough way to get the research at hand in advance of your cruise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Not sure if you're looking for tips for the ports you listed. We haven't done that itinerary yet. :) If you're looking for an idea for a future cruise, you might want to try this one in Alaska. We walked around town in Ketchikan, rode the funicular up to Cape Fox Lodge to eat lunch, then walked the Married Man's Trail down the hill, and window-shopped our way back to the ship. Very enjoyable!

Edited by JimAOk1945

Best thing I ever found was the cemetery near El Morro in San Juan. Gorgeous and emotive grave markers, lovingly rendered. Some were weird, like the dead-sawed off tree. But there were stone angels weeping, stone madonnas bent in sorrow, guitars carved into masonary, stone children dressed like ancient Greeks missing their arms. Then you look ahead and see the timeless sea...and wonder about our small time on earth.

I want to thank every one that shared there experiences with us.

We're para sailing in Nassau, and a submersable in Grand Turk. We enjoy walking. I'm more excited about walking in the hood, and meeting locals.

Way back in the mid 80's when it was still safe to go to Tiaquani Mexico and Rosarita. We took our kids there. They were very young at the time. To this day they remember walking the streets of Rosarita. And having children younger then them selling little trinkets.

Not so lost any more,

Thanks to all:cool:

Best thing I ever found was the cemetery near El Morro in San Juan. Gorgeous and emotive grave markers, lovingly rendered. Some were weird, like the dead-sawed off tree. But there were stone angels weeping, stone madonnas bent in sorrow, guitars carved into masonary, stone children dressed like ancient Greeks missing their arms. Then you look ahead and see the timeless sea...and wonder about our small time on earth.

If I was the OP this is the type of answer I would be looking for. Hopefully if I ever get to visit San Juan I'll be able to find this cemetery.

On a Burgundy River cruise, near Arles, we found the most wonderful attraction. It was in an old limestone quarry, and featured images of paintings by Van Gogh and Gauguin projected on the walls with accompanying music.

It was so great we watched the show 3 times!!!

I had heard about a fish market on Antigua that was fun to look at. We walked there, go straight off the ship about 4 blocks and turn right on (I think) Market street. Walk about 8 minutes and you will see the fish market behind the bus stop. It was really cool to see the kinds of fish they catch and eat there. Then near the market we found a grocery store. When you are at the market, its kind of behind the trees. We have gone there twice. The spices they sell at the store are so good and cheap. Just make sure the spices are in a sealed bag or bottle so you can take them back.

There is also a big local market, for locals not tourists, in a big building with a green roof. It is such a fun way to experience a part of the island, close to the port that was real island life.

So, I travel a ton for work, all over the world. I absolutely love to belly up to a truly local bar. Talk to locals, have the local beer, and get a bit loose. I've done it in just about every country I have visited (that allows drinking, at least). Caribbean islands are great for this. But make sure it's a local bar!

Beautifully described! Next time we are in SJ, we will look for it. Thanks for your post!

It is not hard to find, although not marked. Get off the tram at the stop before it gets to El Morro - ha ha, how do you know where that is? - you can actually sense it because you can see the wide lawns of El Morro starting to open up on the right side of the tram. If you go up too far and are at the entry walk to El Morro, just walk downhill on the same side for a couple of minutes.

The cemetery is not really marked. When you get off the tram or from the sidewalk, you need to head downward into a parking lot where there are cars and perhaps schoolbuses parked, doesn't look promising. Keep going, downward and curving, and you have to go under an overpass, and suddenly you are there, in all its beauty.

Seriously, this rivals Pere Lachaise in Paris, in its beauty. People say you shouldn't go out of the cemetery except by the route you went in, because you will exit into the barrio otherwise. But in the cemetery, we were entirely alone, left to our own thoughts amongst the beautifully rendered artworks, which all had a view of the sea.

Edited by wassup4565

In Marsailles, France... we booked a guided tour, asked them to suggest a variety of options. Our guide arrived with 10 choices, 'pick any 5'.

We visited a church and market in a small city, bought baguettes, goat cheese, strawberries and wine as we rambled through the block-long outdoor market. Stopped at an olive grove to see how the oil is made, and bought some samples.

Next stop was a ruined castle on the top of a hill overlooking citrus and olive groves, where we had our picnic... tearing bread from the loaf and smearing it with cheese or olive oil, sipping wine and eating olives and berries.

We opted not to do a winery tour or the monastery, but saw the countryside, several old churches, Van Goghs studio, saw them making pastilles (candies) at a bakery and ice cream shop, and a city market. Really, really, felt we'd gotten a taste of the country and culture.

It was our best day. Rome was great, but entirely different!