Do I need to bring the following on my Celebrity cruise?

CoopColbie

The last time I cruised, I brought a lot of 'extra' stuff to make sure the room was organised and homely. Just wanted to check with Celebrity regulars as to whether I need to bring the following:

- Extra coat hangers - there are four of us travelling, so I will have a few things to hang up.

- Extra small storage - I'm already going to bring along some foldable boxes for above the bed, but I take other hanging storage like shoe organisers and jewellery organisers. Is there room to hang these things

- Air fresheners - are the rooms stuffy and could do with some freshness

- Beach Towels - are there enough and can you take them off the ship

- Clothes line - is there some way that I could string up a small portable clothes line on our balcony, or is that not possible (or forbidden)

- Extra coolers - we have a foldable cooler that we use to store cold drinks. Is this necessary or is the fridge big enough

- Lanyards - does Celebrity provide these? Are they worn by cruisers on Celebrity or are they considered a bit naff

- Powerboard - are these allowed (we have a lot of electrical devices that need charging)

This is probably the main things ... If I think for a bit longer I may come up with more. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Tania

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am only commenting on one thing . The air freshener . just a chemical with another smell which many of us are sensitive to. I certainly would have a problem if I had to room in the cabin after a week of one of these nasty things. If you have a balcony the air should be just fine

I'm pretty sensitive to strong fragrances as well ... Really strong perfumes give me allergy attacks. But I'm particularly sensitive to moldy, musty smells ... The sort of smells associated with damp, wet places. Just wanting to get a sense of how likely this is to occur on Celebrity and whether I need to bring a neutraliser (with a subtle fragrant undertone).

It's always nice to bring a few extras to the cruise a little easier. We like the boxes as well for over the bed! We take a hanging shoe/sweater holder. They will give you as many beach towels as you need. We hang two things on easy hanger so we don't have to take our own. Celebrity does not provide lanyards I take a wrist one that is less oveious. Enjoy your cruise and most of all take a positive attitude.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sorry all fragrance haters. We take air fresheners with us for the room, need them after all that lovely food :o

We always have a balcony and so the first thing we do when we get into our state room is to throw open the door and let some fresh air flow through. I know you are not supposed to leave the door open, but we do this on first day only as the rooms often do smell so musty.

The last time I cruised, I brought a lot of 'extra' stuff to make sure the room was organised and homely. Just wanted to check with Celebrity regulars as to whether I need to bring the following:

- Extra coat hangers - there are four of us travelling, so I will have a few things to hang up.

- Extra small storage - I'm already going to bring along some foldable boxes for above the bed, but I take other hanging storage like shoe organisers and jewellery organisers. Is there room to hang these things

- Clothes line - is there some way that I could string up a small portable clothes line on our balcony, or is that not possible (or forbidden)

- Extra coolers - we have a foldable cooler that we use to store cold drinks. Is this necessary or is the fridge big enough

- Lanyards - does Celebrity provide these? Are they worn by cruisers on Celebrity or are they considered a bit naff

- Powerboard - are these allowed (we have a lot of electrical devices that need charging)

This is probably the main things ... If I think for a bit longer I may come up with more. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Tania

The only extra things we take are:

* overdoor shoe hanger

* collapsible laundry basket for dirty clothes

* airfreshener for the bathroom

* small fan for white noise and air circulation at night

we plan ahead and plug stuff in as needed so find no need to bring any kind of powerboard.

In terms of beach towels we take ours off the ship as needed.

fridge is big enough is you have the room steward empty.remember the fridge is more a cooler than and actual fridge.

We personally are not lanyard fans. When traveling with my 81 year old mother, she wears a lanyard and loves it.

Safe and happy travels!

Tania

The only thing on your list that I take is the Clothes line(Some of the ships have them.), lanyard(Can buy onboard.) air refreshers, liquid hand soap, anti-bacteria wipes, large plastic clothes pins from Target, folding storage cubes, and magnets with a clip(Wall are metal; I organize all of daily schedules, invitations, tickets, etc.). You can request additional beach towels and hangers. The storage on some of the ships is limited. I use E-bags and leave a lot of my folded tops, underwear, etc. in the bags.

But was aboard Constellation last week and saw the following published in Monday's Celebrity Today...

"Electric Devices In Stateroom

We kindly request our guests not to use private electric devices in their staterooms such as multiple chargers due to safety reasons. We thank you very much for your understanding and cooperation."

Don't know if Celebrity was confiscating charging strips if detected during scanning of luggage as it was loaded/brought aboard [confiscated items are generally returned at disembarkation] and/or if observed during stateroom housekeeping...

I may be a little dense, and I know what a lanyard is (or maybe I don't), but why would anyone wear one?

People get a hole punched in their S&S card and hang it on the end

of that lanyard and wear it around their neck.....not something all of

us do but that is pretty much why they wear them.

People get a hole punched in their S&S card and hang it on the end

of that lanyard and wear it around their neck.....not something all of

us do but that is pretty much why they wear them.

Thanks - that makes sense, especially for someone (like me) who always misplaces things.

Some of us don't bring anything on the original poster's list.

Hangers? I get them from my cabin attendant if I need extra.

Beach towels? Supplied by the cruiseline

Lanyards? Don't use them

Air Freshner? Not necessary for me

Coolers? Don't need/want one.

Different strokes for diffferent folks.

When we first started cruising we used to bring a lot of odds and ends with us which include a lot of the items on your list. Over the years we found that we really could get by without a lot of the items you mention. In addition these items took a lot of room, added unnecessary weight to our luggage, were a hassle to unpack and stow away and even more of a hassle to repack the last full day of the cruise.

I'd suggest cutting your list to the bear minimum or eliminating everything over a couple inches in size or a couple ounces in weight. Here are my comments on your specific items:

Extra coat hangers. This is one of of the items on your list we do bring. We bring a bunch of thin wire clothes hangers. We hang up a lot of stuff and the hangers they provide are the very thick wooden ones that take up a lot of space. We sometimes take those out completely and just use our own wire hangers to hang more of our items in the closet. If our luggage is overweight we leave some of those behind and if it is overweight when we leave the ship we leave them behind on the ship - which is why we only take cheap thin ones like from the dry cleaners. Sometimes your cabin steward can provide these but sometimes it is difficult for them to find them.

Extra small storage - my wife likes the small collapsible bins (like these) for the top of the shelf on the S class ships (no such area on the M class). I didn't like them at all. I think it makes the area store less not more. But it makes it easier for my wife to stow things there. We took the hanging organizers once and found that they took too much room around the cabin for us. For extra storage we position some of our luggage under the bed, left unzipped, so they can be easily slid in and out to use for storage or for dirty laundry.

Air freshener - I don't think these are necessary but my wife likes them. They already have these in the room in Aqua Class.

Beach towels - Forget bringing your own. They have nice big beach towels on the ship they'll deliver to your stateroom either automatically or on request. When you get back just leave them on the bathroom floor and your cabin steward will take them with the other dirty towels and bring you fresh ones the next port day or on request. If you need extras just ask. They have pool towels stacked by the pool for you to use there or to sit on the lawn.

Clothes line - I would not recommend this on the balcony. You are not supposed to leave clothing out there. And the wind will blow things off the line, even with clips, when the ship is moving. I'll admit we sometimes leave wet bathing suits on the chairs and use Boca Clips (google them) to hold them down but don't leave them out for long.

Extra coolers - the mini bar cooler (not a fridge) in the cabin is not huge but will hold a fare number of cans of drinks. Ask your cabin steward to empty it or empty it yourself and put the contents in bag in the basket under your bed - just tell the steward you are doing that so you will not be charged.

Lanyards - We've never used these but a lot of cruisers do. Celebrity sells them in the gift shop and I think I've seen them provide simple string at the customer relations desk. If you like lanyards then bring one. Get a hole punched in your card at the customer relations desk.

Powerboard - We used to bring these but stopped when we realized we could get by without them. Celebrity sometimes confiscates these but is not consistent. These also take up a lot of the limited desk/vanity space and add to clutter in the cabin. We do bring two items which help: A triple tap grounded outlet adapter and a plug converter to plug our compatible electronics into the European style outlet. Both these items are very small and cost under $5 each. The plug converter looks like this (click here) . Use of these items gives us plenty of outlets. Be sure only to use electronics compatible with 220V electricity with the plug adapter to the Euro outlet as they convert only the plug style and not the electricity voltage. They'll quickly fry non-compatible items but you'll find almost all battery chargers and small electronics are compatible. The voltage range will be printed on the item in small print.

Edited by Lsimon

We take large pegs - used for hanging duvets to dry. In UK these are available at Lakeland. In US you can buy them at Kmart. We use them to hold the towels on the loungers - saves them flapping round your face or blowing away!

I do take a few plastic hangers to hang shirt and dress in bathroom whilst we have a shower - creases fall out with steam.

Had to look up the word "naff" in regard to lanyards. :) British for lacking taste or style. Love it!

The only thing on your list that I bring is a delightful lavender essential oil spray that I bought while in France. On my last cruise we had visitors to our cabin and they exclaimed "why does your cabin smell so good and ours smells like crap!?!?!" Haha.

Only thing on the OP's list that we pack is the portable clothesline. Not for the balcony, but for the shower/tub enclosures on the S-class cabins. We also bring a small battery-powered scented candle. It does double-duty as a night light and air freshener. :cool:

- Extra coat hangers - there are four of us travelling, so I will have a few things to hang up. I solve this by doubling up shirts and pants on one hanger. You can get 2-3 pairs of pants on a hanger you don't need one for each outfit.

- Extra small storage - I'm already going to bring along some foldable boxes for above the bed, but I take other hanging storage like shoe organisers and jewellery organisers. Is there room to hang these things I never brought any of that and did just fine. I have never used over the bed storage either.

- Air fresheners - are the rooms stuffy and could do with some freshness I haven't found any of my rooms stuffy but to each their own.

- Beach Towels - are there enough and can you take them off the ship As others said they ship will supply them no need to waste good suitcase space on unneeded towels.

- Clothes line - is there some way that I could string up a small portable clothes line on our balcony, or is that not possible (or forbidden) Clothes line on the balcony is a HUGE no no and given the winds on some of them you could lose your bloomers. If we wanted to see clothes drying on a balcony like hill billies we would sail Carnival. You can use it in the bathroom if you need one.

- Extra coolers - we have a foldable cooler that we use to store cold drinks. Is this necessary or is the fridge big enough Have the state room attendant empty the fridge. It is a small college sized fridge and should be more than enough.

- Lanyards - does Celebrity provide these? Are they worn by cruisers on Celebrity or are they considered a bit naff They are not popular but I use one on the days when my pants or shorts don't have pockets.

- Powerboard - are these allowed (we have a lot of electrical devices that need charging) I have never run out of outlets and usually bring a laptop, tablet, phone, and camera. You can try to bring one but it might be snagged. You can shop on line and find one of those "all in one" chargers that allows you to power up five devices at once. That should solve your outlet issue.

Edited by Clydesmom7865

But was aboard Constellation last week and saw the following published in Monday's Celebrity Today...

"Electric Devices In Stateroom

We kindly request our guests not to use private electric devices in their staterooms such as multiple chargers due to safety reasons. We thank you very much for your understanding and cooperation."

Don't know if Celebrity was confiscating charging strips if detected during scanning of luggage as it was loaded/brought aboard [confiscated items are generally returned at disembarkation] and/or if observed during stateroom housekeeping...

We watched Security take a power strip in March. In short they explained to a guest not allowed.

I'm pretty sensitive to strong fragrances as well ... Really strong perfumes give me allergy attacks. But I'm particularly sensitive to moldy, musty smells ... The sort of smells associated with damp, wet places. Just wanting to get a sense of how likely this is to occur on Celebrity and whether I need to bring a neutraliser (with a subtle fragrant undertone).

Go to the automotive section of the store and buy a tiny can of Ozium. One little spray will take care of things and it's not heavily scented. I have allergies and it does not bother me.

Tania

We used space bags for dirty laundry, and they helped for some packing.

Lanyards not provided, and is a personal choice. My wife likes them and I'm iffy on them.

Towels are plenty available, and can be used ashore.

We seen Security yake a power strip on embark day.

Fa-breeze maybe nice some days.

Hangers maybe useful with extra travelers.

A shoe organizer maybe useful with 4 to a room.

Enjoy your trip

I take some wire hangers. I also have those "as seen on TV" things where you can hang several items vertically. They are lightweight plastic and don't take up any room in the luggage. It is easier to see five shirts hanging than to imagine what's underneath other shirts if you put them all on one hanger.

I bring a power strip. DH uses a breathing machine and I do want it plugged into a surge protector. I have never had one confiscated.

I always pack our over-the-door shoe holder and hang it behind the bathroom door. We take a lot of "gear" with us and it's just so much easier for us to have things on hand and know where they are.

I also have a small first aid kit and another small bag with Shout packets, a sewing kit, a small bottle of Woolite and a couple of clothes pins.

For dirty clothes I have one of those large vacuum bags that you roll up to expel the air. They sell them in Target and WalMart in the luggage department. When we are ready to go home, I seal the bag and roll it up to expel the air. It fits find on the bottom of a suitcase.

I find this much better than a collapsible laundry basket as I don't have to repack the dirty clothes to take them home.