OBC use

pthjudy

We will have some non-refundable OBC on our upcoming Marina cruise. Can we use it to exchange currency onboard? I know there is a fee but the convenience and means of using OBC that we otherwise may not need seems worth it.

We will have some non-refundable OBC on our upcoming Marina cruise. Can we use it to exchange currency onboard? I know there is a fee but the convenience and means of using OBC that we otherwise may not need seems worth it.

This answer may be overkill for your particular question, but lots of people will read this so I will tell you that the Rule of Thumb with On-Board-Credits is that if they exist because of money which was paid to Oceania at some point, then they may be used to withdraw currency at the front desk.

If the credit came into being because of a promotion or sales incentive of some kind, a cash withdrawal is not an option.

We were given several hundred dollars in OBC from our TA. We withdrew currency at the front desk on a few occasions during the cruise. The cash withdrawals along with other expenses (spa, gratuities etc) were added up then the OBC's were applied and the balance put on our CC.

We had lots of OBC given by O due to a reduction in fare. When my husband went to the desk with U.S. Cash in hand, the woman said, " We will take it from your account." Not true...the day before the cruise ended we discovered we had lots of OBC left because they would not use OBC for currency. Our preliminary statement did not make this clear at all.

We had lots of OBC given by O due to a reduction in fare. When my husband went to the desk with U.S. Cash in hand, the woman said, " We will take it from your account." Not true...the day before the cruise ended we discovered we had lots of OBC left because they would not use OBC for currency. Our preliminary statement did not make this clear at all.

From what I gather, all OBC are not created equally! The T.A's OBC's we receive, appeared on our account as a credit whereas the O OBC's you received were to be used towards purchases & services and not given as 'a cash credit'. It is another good reason why one should book thru a T.A

It is unfortunate it was not explained to you as you might have negotiated

a better compensation reg the price reduction?

And just to be clear, non-refundable means you can't just turn it into some other kind of currency, that's still a withdrawal.

Just wanted to verify. Last O cruise they refunded TA OBC in cash the last day. They even called corporate to verify. Next O cruise we have twice as much non- refundable. We are not drinkers, have private tours booked and don't use the spa. I guess it's internet, designer sunglasses or a new watch!

We were given several hundred dollars in OBC from our TA. We withdrew currency at the front desk on a few occasions during the cruise. The cash withdrawals along with other expenses (spa, gratuities etc) were added up then the OBC's were applied and the balance put on our CC.

Because OBC from your TA is different from OBC received as part of a promotional offer from Oceania.

Because OBC from your TA is different from OBC received as part of a promotional offer from Oceania.

True, but don't be lulled into thinking that ANY Travel Agent issued Onboard Credit may be redeemed for cash.

Some can, some can't; again, it depends on how the Credit was funded.

Just wanted to verify. Last O cruise they refunded TA OBC in cash the last day. They even called corporate to verify. Next O cruise we have twice as much non- refundable. We are not drinkers, have private tours booked and don't use the spa. I guess it's internet, designer sunglasses or a new watch!

If we meet someday, let me tell you about my diamond ring that came about due to OBC. Don and Betsy and Jim and Stan can also tell you, as they went with me everyday to drool over it before I finally made the purchase on the last day.

OBC didn't cover the entire cost, but it did cover a big chunk!

Cenia

I had no idea that ANY OBC could be "cashed out." I guess I had better look at mine. I also didn't know whether or not OBC could be used for the spa, but I guess it can be? I'm not much of a spa person, but I could be forced to use it that way!!

I had no idea that ANY OBC could be "cashed out." I guess I had better look at mine. I also didn't know whether or not OBC could be used for the spa, but I guess it can be? I'm not much of a spa person, but I could be forced to use it that way!!

The types of OBC that can be cashed out are the amounts that have been paid in by third party cash. You can pre-pay it yourself, a friend or relative may pay it in as a bon voyage gift, or your travel agent may make a cash payment to your OBC in lieu of a cash discount, thus giving up a portion of their commission.

The OBC that is non-refundable are amounts offered by the cruise line as a booking incentive, and the amounts proffered to the travel agent by the cruise line to pass through to guests. This last one is what causes the confusion. Cruise lines provide a pool of incentives to agents who are among the leading bookers. These incentives cannot be kept by the agent or used to increase 's profit; they have to be passed on to the guests or lost. The incentives can take the form of pre-paid gratuties or OBC.

The bottom line is that OBC that is non-refundable was provided by the cruise line, whether through the agent or directly to the guest. The "soft money" agency funds are not provided to all agents, nor are they provided to guests who book directly with the cruise line. That's why many cruise critic folks often advise carefully shopping for a travel agent. The agents least likely to have these funds available are your cousin or buddy who happens to be a TA but rarely, if ever, books Oceania cruises.

I'm not an agent, and I may not have explained these details perfectly, but they are what I have gathered over the years by asking a lot of questions.

True, but don't be lulled into thinking that ANY Travel Agent issued Onboard Credit may be redeemed for cash.

Some can, some can't; again, it depends on how the Credit was funded.

True, just pointing out that that OBC issued by the cruise line itself as a promo is generally never refundable.

Personally, it's a non-issue for me. I will more than happily use any and all onboard credit in the spa and specialty restaurants (on other lines). Even when we prepay the drink package we manage to end up with a big bill at the end of the week. :D

Edited by waterbug123

We were able to donate our leftover OBC to gratuities (we had prepaid gratuities). I wanted it all to go to our steward, but was told that isn't possible.

Upcoming: Hurtigruten Trollfjord, Nov. '14: In search of the northern lights

GCT Christmas markets on the Rhine, Dec. '14

Edited by Barrheadlass

We were able to donate our leftover OBC to gratuities (we had prepaid gratuities). I wanted it all to go to our steward, but was told that isn't possible.

Upcoming: Hurtigruten Trollfjord, Nov. '14: In search of the northern lights

GCT Christmas markets on the Rhine, Dec. '14

Exactly what we do!

You're a grand girl! :D

We were able to donate our leftover OBC to gratuities (we had prepaid gratuities). I wanted it all to go to our steward, but was told that isn't allowed

But you can buy "your steward/stewardess" a nice expensive perfume/after-shave, warm scarf, polo shirts, jackets, luggage, etc, etc, from the stores on-board. They then have a choice of using it themselves or taking it home as a gift for their spouse/children or ?? whoever.

Edited by rhohea

But you can buy "your steward/stewardess" a nice expensive perfume/after-shave, warm scarf, polo shirts, jackets, luggage, etc, etc, from the stores on-board. They then have a choice of using it themselves or taking it home as a gift for their spouse/children or ?? whoever.

A lovely, generous thought, but passengers need to keep the size of a typical crew cabin in mind before giving a gift of ANYTHING but cash-

poa_cabin_2.jpgThree share this space for six months at a time.