Room service breakfast tipping etiquette?

samchico

We rarely get room service, so I don't get to know the servers very well, but one other way you could help them is to mention them (if they're good) in your survey. I'm horrible with names, so I try to jot down the names of the people who have made my cruise special so I can include them in the notes at the end of the cruise. I think it helps at contract time. Someone more experienced can correct me if I'm wrong.

Trish

totally agree with this - I have ours in a drawer handy so we can pull it out quickly for unexpected stuff (not the safe) and for breakfast I set it on the table or where the key card goes so it is handy. The steward do not definitely have their hands out or expect it - so you need to be quick:D

I learned on CC, a year or so ago, to put the tip in the slot on the door where the Do Not Disturb card is kept. That way, it is handy when one is holding the door for the attendant. It worked very well on our last cruise.

We always tip for room service. The amount we tip is based on if it's a meal, such as breakfast or just a nibble. The amount varies. We always leave the tip on the table where we are sure to remember to give it quickly to whoever brings it.

Diane

When the Hotel Service Charge was started, there was a lot of confusion as to who got what.

Eventually it was explained that the cabin stewards and dining room staff got the largest amount of the HSC. Then the rest is divided among the "behind the scenes" people -- kitchen staff, laundry people, those you see polishing and cleaning around the ship, those working room service, Pinnacle staff, and many, many others and what they get really is pennies.

It's part of my end of day routine to put the breakfast tip on the bar or counter closest to the door. It's almost always $2 for us. As DW mentioned, the room service waiter is usually in and out pretty quick. That's why we set the tip out somewhere we can quickly reach it on the way to answer the door.

hummm.... twins separated at birth perhaps as this is exactly the way I do it. :D In addition when getting cash for the trip I always calculated how many singles I will need to cover morning room service coffee, $2 a day, and make sure I get enough. They then go into my nightstand drawer to be used only for that purpose.

It has always been my belief that everyone shared in the daily service charge - but I think a larger proportion of it goes to the room stewards. It has been a few cruises since we had that final "disembarkation talk", when it was all laid out for you. I kinda miss it! We used not to tip for room service - there never seems to be enough time to get something out, but since I have been subscribing to CC, I have learned to get $1 or $2 out when I make my order and have it nearby, and always get a big "thank you".

Well, they aren't doing that disembarkation talk any longer (at least in the main showroom - it's a canned talk on the TV in the room now).

The last cruise we had it on it was only explained:

70% goes to room stewards and food servers

30% to the behind the scenes locations

nothing goes to administration.

No real specific.

When the Hotel Service Charge was started, there was a lot of confusion as to who got what.

Eventually it was explained that the cabin stewards and dining room staff got the largest amount of the HSC. Then the rest is divided among the "behind the scenes" people -- kitchen staff, laundry people, those you see polishing and cleaning around the ship, those working room service, Pinnacle staff, and many, many others and what they get really is pennies.

We always tip for room service depending on what we order.. If we have an early tour we might order a full breakfast & then we tip $4-$5.. For just coffee & juice we tip $2.00.. We also leave extra when eating in the Pinnacle..

KK you seem to be placing "Room Service" waiters in the behind the scenes staff who only share the 30% of the HSC..

We've always thought that Room Service are normal MDR & Lido waiters who volunteer for extra duty such as, room service when they are not doing their normal waiter jobs..:confused:

Is this incorrect?

Edited by serendipity1499

The room service waiters are working for tips. Just ask them. I did, and I was really surprised to learn that my dining room waiter worked room service after his shift to make extra cash tips. I honestly didn't know many do this sort of "double duty". The fellow was really clear, he was only doing it to make extra CASH tips.

As was mentioned by serendipity1499, we also tip $2 or $3 for small stuff like a pot of coffee and tea, $5 for a full breakfast.

The hotel service charge is peanuts compared to what anyone would pay for tips for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is typical to tip the maid $5 a day as well. The service we get on cruise ships is an absolute bargain for the paltry price of $12 a day per person.

So tip those folks who bring you your coffee and eggs from the other end of the ship, just so you can eat in your bathrobe. They work their butts off.

Well said, Mar56. Totally agree. Someone on this board suggested getting the tip ready and putting it in the holder for the 'privacy please' card, located on the inside of the door. You know where the money is and it is easy to grab.

Then the rest is divided among the "behind the scenes" people -- kitchen staff, laundry people, those you see polishing and cleaning around the ship /SIZE]

I think these guys deserve more. The differential is too great considering the tips that front-facing crews also receive.

I think these guys deserve more. The differential is too great considering the tips that front-facing crews also receive.

Can't say I agree with that. My dining room steward and assistant serve me 4 courses, bring me multiple beverages, change out silverware, and (usually) indulge special requests each night of a cruise.

If and when I order room service (maybe once a cruise), the RS steward knocks on the door, walks in with a tray, sets it down, and leaves.

There's no comparison. Even if the RS steward receives only "pennies" from the HSC, he's still getting pennies from the passengers on the ship who didn't even order room service, and apparently decent to generous tips from other passengers.

Can't say I agree with that. My dining room steward and assistant serve me 4 courses, bring me multiple beverages, change out silverware, and (usually) indulge special requests each night of a cruise.

If and when I order room service (maybe once a cruise), the RS steward knocks on the door, walks in with a tray, sets it down, and leaves.

There's no comparison. Even if the RS steward receives only "pennies" from the HSC, he's still getting pennies from the passengers on the ship who didn't even order room service, and apparently decent to generous tips from other passengers.

I don't agree with the above post. I don't think chrispb's post that was quoted was referring to room service staff. I took it to mean all the behind the scenes staff - the chefs who provide the delicious food and pastries, the dishwashers, the cleaners who are constantly cleaning the ship, laundry staff who provide the clean towels and linens, the entertainment staff, etc.

Those are the people, who serve us behind the scenes, who deserve more than pennies per day.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

I don't agree with the above post. I don't think chrispb's post that was quoted was referring to room service staff. I took it to mean all the behind the scenes staff - the chefs who provide the delicious food and pastries, the dishwashers, the cleaners who are constantly cleaning the ship, laundry staff who provide the clean towels and linens, the entertainment staff, etc.

Those are the people, who serve us behind the scenes, who deserve more than pennies per day.

Correct. Thank you.

We never tip for room service, maybe that is why on our last trip they would never ever pick up the trays, even hours after we called for a tray pickup.

Our room stewards did pick up the trays and we do tip them at the end of a voyage (as well as our waiters when we have fixed dinning). Otherwise, I figure $23 dollars a day is enough (think about it, if you are paying $200-400 day per cabin for your fare, isn't that enough)? How much do you tip when you stay at a hotel?

We never tip for room service, maybe that is why on our last trip they would never ever pick up the trays, even hours after we called for a tray pickup.

Our room stewards did pick up the trays and we do tip them at the end of a voyage (as well as our waiters when we have fixed dinning). Otherwise, I figure $23 dollars a day is enough (think about it, if you are paying $200-400 day per cabin for your fare, isn't that enough)? How much do you tip when you stay at a hotel?

I know I hear people gripe about the HSC and how much it is. To me, it's part of the fare. If you want to tip extra go ahead. If you don't, that's fine too. I do it because I like to and I think it's deserved. One of my former friends removed their HSC and had fixed traditional dining. I think they ended up tipping the waiters about $30 for a 26 day cruise because they thought it "was enough":rolleyes:. There is nothing else required after paying the HSC, but I hope folks don't remove that.

When we travel and stay at hotels, we typically tip $5-$10 per day to the maids that clean up the room, depending on how many of us there are and how much of a mess we made that day. Added to that would be tips for meals, which could add up to $15-$50 a day. Really gratuities/tips onboard ships are not out of line for a vacation.

We usually give $1 or $2 and it is always appreciated. As the others have stated its totally up to you where you do it or not but be quick as they are not lingering with a hand out expecting anything.

Having worked in the hospitality industry in my past, both hotel front desk and concierge/shuttle driver. I remember the days when the difference in a tip made in whether or not my dinner consisted of ramen noodles. I never expected it, but it was totally appreciated. I am very conscious now of how much difference that little bit could help someone else.

Having worked in the hospitality industry in my past, both hotel front desk and concierge/shuttle driver. I remember the days when the difference in a tip made in whether or not my dinner consisted of ramen noodles. I never expected it, but it was totally appreciated. I am very conscious now of how much difference that little bit could help someone else.

I don't mean to be invasive and certainly understand if you don't wish to respond but when you worked hotel front desk, did guests tip? DH and I always have been what just about anyone would consider generous tippers but it never occured to either of us to tip the people who check us in at the front desk in a hotel.

I feel awful thinking we have bypassed them time and again. :o

We get out of the taxi and tip the driver.

We tip the doorman who brings the suitcases into the lobby.

We tip the bellhop who brings the suitcases to our room and

We tip room service if we call for something delivered.

We tip the housekeeper who cleans our hotel room.

We tip the person who might deliver flowers or some other gift to us.

Well you get the picture......

I'm sorry to the front desk people who we omitted.

Many Hotels & resorts in our area charge a daily service charge & it's way more than $23 per day.. When we took our sailboat to South Seas Plantation a local resort it was approx. $2.50 to $3.00 a foot plus an 18% resort fee(service charge) depending on the time of year..

A 34 foot boat would cost $102 a night plus 18% service charge($18.36)..We sold our boat just before Charlie hit in 2004...Those were the prices 10 years ago & I imagine they have gone up significantly.. We did not have a steward come in to clean our boat, & meals were not included.. The price was for us to use their beach, pool & shuttle to the front gate.. When we ate in their restaurant we paid for our meals & left a 20% tip...

Just checked their hotel rooms & for 1 night in June the price was $239 plus an $18.87 resort fee per person per night.. Of course that includes breakfast.

We consider a cruise line like a resort only we get more on a cruise...And $23.00 per day is not enough for us! That's the reason why we give our Stewards extra.. Only on one cruise did we not give our Cabin Steward extra, & that was because we were not given the normal HAL service but that was an anomaly! We did not report it as did not want to get the Steward in trouble..

IMO $23 per day for two people who eat in a Restaurant three times a day, have their room cleaned, towels changed & beds made in the a.m. & towels changed & beds turned down in the P.M., plus having all meals on board is nearly not enough!

Just for Dining when we purchase Breakfast, lunch or dinner , we always tip 20%.. Eating a 4 to 5 course dinner in a nice restaurant would cost at least $100.. 20% of that is $20.00..

I don't mean to be invasive and certainly understand if you don't wish to respond but when you worked hotel front desk, did guests tip? DH and I always have been what just about anyone would consider generous tippers but it never occured to either of us to tip the people who check us in at the front desk in a hotel.

I feel awful thinking we have bypassed them time and again. :o

We get out of the taxi and tip the driver.

We tip the doorman who brings the suitcases into the lobby.

We tip the bellhop who brings the suitcases to our room and

We tip room service if we call for something delivered.

We tip the housekeeper who cleans our hotel room.

We tip the person who might deliver flowers or some other gift to us.

Well you get the picture......

I'm sorry to the front desk people who we omitted.

Sail I've never tipped a front desk person & doubt that anyone would tip the Front Desk people unless someone did something personal for them, such as a Babysitter.. Otherwise you might tip the Hotel Concierge for making dinner reservations & hailing a taxi, etc.. :D

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499