Dinner in Windjammer

Been a few years since we cruised and now taking kids with us. What would be "normal" dress clothes in the Windjammer for supper? Thank you.

Casual is fine. Shorts OK in the Windjammer. No swimsuits without coverups.

Edited by clarea

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that while the Windjammer will have most of the same soups and entrees, the won't have the desserts or most of the appetizers from the main dining room.

Just finished cruise #6 with RC on the Jewell last week and have always ate at the Windjammer on every cruise except for 1 time we did the MDR! We have always had sufficient food and like the relaxed pace in the evening plus can eat and go whenever we are ready!

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that while the Windjammer will have most of the same soups and entrees, the won't have the desserts or most of the appetizers from the main dining room.

They absolutely do have some of the desserts, such as their luscious carrot cake (best I've ever tasted!) and their Royal Chocolate Cake, except that both are cut into BIGGER pieces! You know it! Plus they always have several kinds of cheeses, some dried fruits, and nuts if you prefer that for starter or dessert. :)

Uh-oh - the secret is getting out! My wife and I do almost all of our dinners in the Windjammer, as we also found that they have many of the selections from the MDR but in a more casual setting. On our last couple of cruises, on AOS and EOS, they had a section with a different international theme every night. Jamaican, Thai, even German!

So my only concern now is that too many people will find out how great the Windjammer is for dinner and it will start getting too crowded :)

So my only concern now is that too many people will find out how great the Windjammer is for dinner and it will start getting too crowded :)

I would be fine with that! Then just MAYBE the service in the MDR will get better with less people to serve! :D

Although i will say that I guess ive been lucky. I read complaint after complaint about how the MDR has taken a big dive, the food is mediocre to bad and the service is terrible. Ive always enjoyed the food and thought the service was outstanding!

There is definitely more selection and variety in Windjammer than in the MDR. WJ has SOME of the MDR offerings plus a multitude of offerings not available in the MDR. You will not however find some items like the roast duck or lobster tails in the 'Jammer.

Windjammer is highly underrated for dinner; I agree it can actually be a nicer setting than MDR. Lights are dimmed, it seems not as loud or busy. Much easier to go on your own schedule.

Couldn't agree more. Just returned from the Allure MTD and it literally was like somewhat setup our table in the middle of Grand Central Station. Guests, waiters, asst waiters, carts rushing back and forth, noisy…

We went up to the WJ for a couple of nights and while yes you have to get your own food, it was sooooo much more relaxing and yes plenty more variety than the MDR (with some of the same items). You could eat at your on pace; take a break, not have to wait for bread..refill service…and at least on the Allure/Oasis… MUCH BETTER views…especially at sunset!

The WJ has items that you will never find in the MDR, like bangers and mashed potatoes with mushy peas, a build your own antipasto bar, and serve yourself ice cream:D We have pretty much abandoned the MDR on most cruises, even though the food and the service was always good, we just like the relaxed atmosphere and range of choices in the WJ.

Do they have a selection of canapé type appetizers? Not looking for soups and salads but rather finger foods?

I don't recall canapés, but there may be sushi rolls (made with only cooked ingredients), and there is usually a very nice display of cheeses with olives and other appetizer-type items, such as cured meats and other antipasti. We often went for a quick snack early on to tide us over until second seating MDR dinner.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

The WJ has items that you will never find in the MDR, like bangers and mashed potatoes with mushy peas, a build your own antipasto bar, and serve yourself ice cream:D We have pretty much abandoned the MDR on most cruises, even though the food and the service was always good, we just like the relaxed atmosphere and range of choices in the WJ.

Is the ice cream soft serve or scoopable?

Most of the dining room items are available in the Windjammer, along with a few things that weren't in the dining room. You do have wait service in the evenings too. It's a good option if you want to try several things and then go back to get more of something you like, rather than having several entrees brought to you and then just not liking them and feeling like you wasted a whole entree.

Plus, if you want something really simple for dinner, like pizza or a burger, it's so much easier to just get that in the Windjammer.

I know quite a few people LOVE the Windjammer for dinner . . . but I'm not one of them. It's an okay place to eat, especially if you came back late from a shore excursion, or you just want something quick and simple, or you don't feel like being polite company for tablemates. But if I eat there, it's not because I think the place is wonderful and it is "a destination"; rather, I eat there because I'm not up to the hour plus dinner in the MDR. If I go to the Windjammer, it's more of a default than a choice.

Having said that, it does have a wider variety of foods than you'll find in the MDR. The MDR offers perhaps five entrees each evening -- plus the three simple "always availables". In the Windjammer you'll have 4-5 times that many choices, and you do have greater control over your portions. Some of the things in the MDR will be available in the Windjammer, others will not. If you're wondering, you could always swing through the buffet quickly to see what's available . . . of course, the problem with that plan is that by the time you see what's available in the Windjammer, it's probably too late to dress for dinner if you decide you want the MDR.

My personal preference for meals onboard -- most days anyway:

Breakfast in the Windjammer; they have some things that aren't available in the MDR, and I like being able to get my food and sit down immediately (rather than waiting to be seated, waiting for the food to come).

Lunch in the MDR; the Tutti salad alone is enough reason to go.

Dinner in the MDR most nights.

Some nights, the chefs make homemade ice cream for dessert; we have seen vanilla and chocolate. The soft serve machine is always available for dinner as well.

I have not seen 'homemade' ice cream in the WJ. Most nights for dinner, there is a waiter scooping the ice cream out of the 5 gallon containers. There are always two flavor choices that varies from day to day. Of course, all the toppings are right there ready to pour on top of the ice cream....

Does the Windjammer have ham for breakfast?

We were just on the Jewell last week and they did have ham I believe every morning!

They did not have the scoopable ice cream in the Windjammer at night just the soft serve! Though on our other 5 previous cruises we have always had scoopable for dinner.