Anytime Dining Reservations

Richard

We were on the crown last year doing anytime dining. We loved our location and wait staff so when we left the first evening asked the maitre'd if e could sit there the following night, yes was the reply and by the 4 th night our "table" was ready for us every night... You give them respect and they will accommodate your wishes

Last year on board the Caribbean Princess at the Island DR, we were taken to a table and guess what? There at the table were 6 of the most enjoyable cruisers that we have come across. This proved to be quite a combination, as our waiter Manaldo & his assistant Melan were just as crazy as the eight of us. ;) They asked if we would please come back to their area and particularly table 279 the next night. Everyone agreed that it seemed like a good idea.

During the meal the next evening, we were visited by the Island DR Maitre’ D and the Head Maitre’ D of the ship to let us know that they had heard about this group that seemed to be having so much fun that they just couldn’t stay away!! We gave all of the credit to our waiter Manaldo & his assistant Melan. They made it so much fun to dine in their area! :D

So yes it is possible and if it happens, then enjoy the cruise & dining!

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

I agree and when I see it becoming a problem on the ships we have been on I have no problem writing up the Maitre D' and deleting part of the tip. :cool:
The Maitre d' does not participate in the tipping pool so if one annoys you and you delete part of the tip, you're penalizing the hard-working waitstaff for something they haven't done.

The Maitre d' does not participate in the tipping pool so if one annoys you and you delete part of the tip, you're penalizing the hard-working waitstaff for something they haven't done.

It seems to get the point across because we always get a call from Guest Services after the write-up goes in....and it makes me feel good....:):):)

So which one is the less popular? - would be useful to know. Thanks

I think it's Botticelli - it's only anytime seating after 1st traditional seating is complete.

(A little help from those who know for sure, please? Thanks very much)

:D

I guess I don't understand why someone would do anytime dining if they want the same table at the same time every night. I am quite curious about this. Is it the times of the traditional dining that are a problem?

We did anytime dining once (and on NCL not Princess) and it wasn't for us. It was so much work! I don't want to spend my cruising time pondering where and when to eat and then wait in line for the privilege. We also found it lonely. My husband is a great conversationalist, but we missed the comraderie of meeting our table mates and discussing what happened that day. We have met so many wonderful people this way. I also like having the same wait staff every night who know what I like.

I am glad Princess offers the option of anytime and traditional. The way I see it, the more who want anytime the better as it leaves room for me in traditional. And conversely I am not taking up a table in anytime that someone else wants. We all win!

I guess I don't understand why someone would do anytime dining if they want the same table at the same time every night. I am quite curious about this. Is it the times of the traditional dining that are a problem?

We did anytime dining once (and on NCL not Princess) and it wasn't for us. It was so much work! I don't want to spend my cruising time pondering where and when to eat and then wait in line for the privilege. We also found it lonely. My husband is a great conversationalist, but we missed the comraderie of meeting our table mates and discussing what happened that day. We have met so many wonderful people this way. I also like having the same wait staff every night who know what I like.

I am glad Princess offers the option of anytime and traditional. The way I see it, the more who want anytime the better as it leaves room for me in traditional. And conversely I am not taking up a table in anytime that someone else wants. We all win!

It's very possible that fixed dining isn't available. There are two AT dining rooms and only one FT.

It's very possible that fixed dining isn't available. There are two AT dining rooms and only one FT.

Usually if there is enough demand, then one of the AT dining rooms is first used for traditional fixed time for an early seating. However, that usually is 5:30 PM or 5:45 PM, which is too early for many people.

Several reasons. One could be that they were unable to be confirmed for Traditional dining. Another could be that the dining times are inconvenient for the itinerary. And another could be that the early time is too early and the late time is too late. (There's a difference between my #2 and #3.)

If you're unable to get Traditional dining, Anytime is your only option for dining room dinner. You're left with no choice so being able to make a standing reservation is a good alternative.

On some itineraries, the ship sails later than normal in some ports and getting back to the ship to make a 5:30 or 6:00pm dining time is a rush and not possible if you book an excursion that gets back at that time or later. And an 8:15 or 8:30pm dining time every night is too late for you.

For some people, in general, the early Traditional time is too early and the late Traditional time is too late. For instance, on my up-coming Royal cruise, dinner at 5:30-6pm is too early for me to meet up with friends, have a drink and then dinner. Yet late Traditional is at 8:30pm, which is too late for me. As I get older, I don't eat as late as I used to and starting dinner at 8:30pm and not getting out until maybe 10:30pm means you've spent the night at the dinner table. So, we've opted for Anytime.

Everyone has their own reasons for wanting Anytime and to be able to make a reservation. That doesn't mean I'm in favor of reservations. It would be nice if the system were consistent and you could make reservations on your smart phone. What I do think Princess is very wrong about is allowing people from Traditional dining to show up for Anytime. IMHO, this is the biggest issue with Anytime. Other lines don't allow this without specifically requesting a permanent change.

Several reasons. One could be that they were unable to be confirmed for Traditional dining. Another could be that the dining times are inconvenient for the itinerary. And another could be that the early time is too early and the late time is too late. (There's a difference between my #2 and #3.)

If you're unable to get Traditional dining, Anytime is your only option for dining room dinner. You're left with no choice so being able to make a standing reservation is a good alternative.

On some itineraries, the ship sails later than normal in some ports and getting back to the ship to make a 5:30 or 6:00pm dining time is a rush and not possible if you book an excursion that gets back at that time or later. And an 8:15 or 8:30pm dining time every night is too late for you.

For some people, in general, the early Traditional time is too early and the late Traditional time is too late. For instance, on my up-coming Royal cruise, dinner at 5:30-6pm is too early for me to meet up with friends, have a drink and then dinner. Yet late Traditional is at 8:30pm, which is too late for me. As I get older, I don't eat as late as I used to and starting dinner at 8:30pm and not getting out until maybe 10:30pm means you've spent the night at the dinner table. So, we've opted for Anytime.

Everyone has their own reasons for wanting Anytime and to be able to make a reservation. That doesn't mean I'm in favor of reservations. It would be nice if the system were consistent and you could make reservations on your smart phone. What I do think Princess is very wrong about is allowing people from Traditional dining to show up for Anytime. IMHO, this is the biggest issue with Anytime. Other lines don't allow this without specifically requesting a permanent change.

This is very true. I seem to recall when it was first offered, you could make reservations, then there was a time frame now not avail.

I disagree. While allowing TD'ers to go to anytime can be an issue, the biggest problem is and will continue to be allowing reservations in AT....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

When we sailed on the Island, we used anytime dining. Two nights there was such a wait for anytime, they called to the traditional dining and took us up immediately to traditional. Both times there was hardly anyone in that dining room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There should be NO RESERVATIONS at the Anytime Dining areas. All Traditional Diners should go to an alternate venue if they do not make the assigned dining time they recieved when THEY signed up for Traditional Dining.

On all of our cruises with Princess including those with RCCL we have always had the same table & wait staff for anytime dining. All it takes is a simple request with the Maître d' upon embarkation. It also helped that except for one Maître d' on the Brilliance, they have all been Italian. DW & I are Italian & fluent in the language😁.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by HMSDingy

On all of our cruises with Princess including those with RCCL we have always had the same table & wait staff for anytime dining. All it takes is a simple request with the Maître d' upon embarkation. It also helped that except for one Maître d' on the Brilliance, they have all been Italian. DW & I are Italian & fluent in the language😁.

So only those who are fluent in Italian can make reservations for Anytime dining?

When we sailed on the Island, we used anytime dining. Two nights there was such a wait for anytime, they called to the traditional dining and took us up immediately to traditional. Both times there was hardly anyone in that dining room.

The problem with doing this is that those in Trad dining lose the attention of their server who must stop and take orders from those seated at his station. I agree-there should be NO reservations in anytime dining.

We love Anytime dining, we want to eat when we feel like it. But on Ruby in Jan, the Anytime was the worst we have ever had on any ship - Royal Caribbean, Celebrity or Princess. Lines were crazy!!! Everyone we talked to was complaining about it. They simply did not have enough staff b/c once we got in there were a ton of tables open. We ended up eating in the buffet 3 out of 5 nights b/c of the insane lines. We are on Ruby again in Dec so hopefully they have fixed the problem as we don't mind waiting a few minutes but to wait 1/2 hour only to find empty tables all over the place does not make sense.

The problem with doing this is that those in Trad dining lose the attention of their server who must stop and take orders from those seated at his station. I agree-there should be NO reservations in anytime dining.
I agree. This has happened to us several times when we've had late Traditional dining. The waits for Anytime were over 45 minutes (according to the Maitre d' seating them) so they were seated at the table next to us after 9pm. Our dinner was interrupted and service went out the window as the people were seated, drink and dinner orders taken, and the waitstaff went to get everything for them, leaving us with dirty plates and a long wait for our next course. Everything went out of whack and our dinner would have taken well over two hours except we opted to forego coffee since it some of us were missing the entertainment. This happened on not just multiple nights on one cruise but on several nights on several cruises. Edited by Pam in CA

I am thinking of going on a cruise in Oct, and question if I book anytime, is there group tables still or just 2 tops etc. I am solo, and do not like regular schedules, but do not want to be giving a table for 2 and eat alone everynight. Have not been on Princess in a while, before the new "anytime" came in - I like the idea of just showing up when I want to eat.

So only those who are fluent in Italian can make reservations for Anytime dining?

I hope your'e joking because that is one heck of a careless response. It just happened that the Maitre D' was Italian and we were able to converse in his language. I never said that language had anything to do with confirming a reservation. I am insulted by your comment.:mad:

On all of our cruises with Princess including those with RCCL we have always had the same table & wait staff for anytime dining. All it takes is a simple request with the Maître d' upon embarkation. It also helped that except for one Maître d' on the Brilliance, they have all been Italian. DW & I are Italian & fluent in the language.

I hope your'e joking because that is one heck of a careless response. It just happened that the Maitre D' was Italian and we were able to converse in his language. I never said that language had anything to do with confirming a reservation. I am insulted by your comment.:mad:

I was joking, but you did indicate that speaking Italian was helpful in requesting a reservation. Being Italian and speaking the language myself, I am also insulted.

Edited by Ethel5

On all of our cruises with Princess including those with RCCL we have always had the same table & wait staff for anytime dining. All it takes is a simple request with the Maître d' upon embarkation. It also helped that except for one Maître d' on the Brilliance, they have all been Italian. DW & I are Italian & fluent in the language.

When I first read that, I thought the same thing-That the MDs would favor those who spoke the language over those who didn't. :)

Edited by Brenda8129