Missing most nights in MDR?

In another thread a poster asked "-If we choose to eat in Windjammer all week and maybe a few specialty restaurants (Johnny Rockets, Chops, Portofino) along the way, is this frowned upon? I don't want any of the wait staff to feel slighted because we didn't eat in MDR most of the week"

What's the general consensus to my reply below?

The wait staff won't feel slighted but ....

Unless you have a table just for your family - not eating in the MDR most nights may leave your tablemates feeling slighted.

Most folks who request larger tables look forward to meeting and chatting with other folks.

On our cruise last week that happened to folks at a number of tables near ours and from the look on their faces it did diminish a good portion of their dining enjoyment. I know their feeling should not be our responsibility but in my mind it's a matter of manners.

I would suggest going to the MDR shortly after you board and request a change to My Time Dining.

In another thread a poster asked "-If we choose to eat in Windjammer all week and maybe a few specialty restaurants (Johnny Rockets, Chops, Portofino) along the way, is this frowned upon? I don't want any of the wait staff to feel slighted because we didn't eat in MDR most of the week"

Unless you have a table just for your family - not eating in the MDR most nights may leave your tablemates feeling slighted.

Most folks who request larger tables look forward to meeting and chatting with other folks.

On our cruise last week that happened to folks at a number of tables near ours and from the look on their faces it did diminish a good portion of their dining enjoyment. I know their feeling should not be our responsibility but in my mind it's a matter of manners.

I would suggest going to the MDR shortly after you board and request a change to My Time Dining.

Just because someone wants to sit at a large table to meet others does not mean that the others are obligated to dine at that table every night. Some people want to eat at the specialty restaurants during their cruise. If they only want to eat in the MDR once or twice, that is THEIR choice not their table mates' choice. If we know we are not going to be at dinner in the MDR, we try to tell our table mates or the waiter the night before so they don't wait for us before starting dinner.

MTD is your best option. As a couple that has felt abandoned by those that did not show up for traditional dining, please make your selection BEFORE the cruise. Requesting a smaller table only works if you are the only passengers at that table. Imagine a table for four, and the other two passengers don't show up all week.

Just because someone wants to sit at a large table to meet others does not mean that the others are obligated to dine at that table every night. Some people want to eat at the specialty restaurants during their cruise. If they only want to eat in the MDR once or twice, that is THEIR choice not their table mates' choice. If we know we are not going to be at dinner in the MDR, we try to tell our table mates or the waiter the night before so they don't wait for us before starting dinner.

I'm sorry but your solution does not always work. You are assuming you will be the only couple missing from a table of eight. On our last cruise we specifically asked for a large table of eight. 6 nights there were only 4 people total, and two nights we were the ONLY people at that table.

We got great service. You are correct it's not your problem, but RCI needs to fix this somehow. It's very embarrassing to be sitting at a table for eight with zero friends. :eek:

Exactly. No way I'm eating in the MDR on my vacation so other people or wait staff won't "feel slighted":rolleyes:

Our last two cruises we didn't eat at MDR at all, simply told the MDR staff the first day we wouldn't be there. I didn't feel sorry for anyone who might be offended by our empty seats, and the staff probably filled them anyway with people who wanted to change locations and tables.

Cruiseguy and bouhunter - I believe I did address your concern when I said "I know their feeling should not be our responsibility but in my mind it's a matter of manners."

IMHO - The poster who said that the best move might be to ask for a table in the MDR for just their family was the best solution ... that or MTD.

I've been giving some thought about how cruising has changed over the years and more than financially motivated changes upsetting folks are issues that would or could fall into the manners category.

I agree that if you know you're not going to eat in the MDR, let the staff know so they can move people around who need it or so they can get dinner started as soon as the remaining guests arrive.

But as far as not wanting the other people to feel slighted, that sounds like their issue. Why is sitting at a table with empty seats 'embarrassing'? It's not a reflection on you if they never show up. (Or maybe it is...?)

This isn't high school. No one is looking at you thinking 'loser' because you're sitting alone.

There are people who expect others to handle or behave in every situation in the same way that they would and when that doesn't happen, they label the people 'rude' or 'mean' or 'don't have any manners' when in fact, they're just DIFFERENT.

I agree that if you know you're not going to eat in the MDR, let the staff know so they can move people around who need it or so they can get dinner started as soon as the remaining guests arrive.

But as far as not wanting the other people to feel slighted, that sounds like their issue. Why is sitting at a table with empty seats 'embarrassing'? It's not a reflection on you if they never show up. (Or maybe it is...?)

This isn't high school. No one is looking at you thinking 'loser' because you're sitting alone.

There are people who expect others to handle or behave in every situation in the same way that they would and when that doesn't happen, they label the people 'rude' or 'mean' or 'don't have any manners' when in fact, they're just DIFFERENT.

I agree.

I think these boards warp some people. If you were never on the boards, would you even consider going to tell someone you're not eating in the dining room? Heck no. You'd just go to your other dining venue. I don't know about you guys, but I'm very conscious about the needs of others, but when I'm on vacation, I'm focussed on what I'm doing - not focussing on how I can make my vacation better for someone else.

That doesn't make me rude or self centered. I'm just minding my own business and enjoying my vacation.

Cruiseguy and bouhunter - I believe I did address your concern when I said "I know their feeling should not be our responsibility but in my mind it's a matter of manners."

IMHO - The poster who said that the best move might be to ask for a table in the MDR for just their family was the best solution ... that or MTD.

I've been giving some thought about how cruising has changed over the years and more than financially motivated changes upsetting folks are issues that would or could fall into the manners category.

I agree it would be polite to let the staff and table mates know you will be missing some nights, but that's the limit of my obligation, IMO.

If I want to have a traditional MDR experience with table mates 3 or 4 of the 7 nights, but not all, I fail to see how that's me being rude to anyone. If my tablemates show up on the nights I'm there, cool. If they choose not to, good for them, they're not responsible for my enjoyment of dinner.

We are 7 adults/family and going to dine in the specialty restaurants 5 nights, we don't know whether we will add on another evening at a specialty restaurant and believe the one day we are in port until 8pm we may just do the buffet, but I certainly not going out of my way, to find my waiter just to let him know we won't be there. He will know when we don't show up, we are paying the tip so its not that he gets stiffed he will get what he deserves and at the same time he will work less.

I agree.

I think these boards warp some people. If you were never on the boards, would you even consider going to tell someone you're not eating in the dining room? Heck no. You'd just go to your other dining venue. I don't know about you guys, but I'm very conscious about the needs of others, but when I'm on vacation, I'm focussed on what I'm doing - not focussing on how I can make my vacation better for someone else.

That doesn't make me rude or self centered. I'm just minding my own business and enjoying my vacation.

you are right about the boards and the effect it has, as i told my waiters wouldnt be there the next night because of Giovannis , and i normally probably wouldnt think to tell them. however what i found was they appreciated it. and it was very simple thing for me to do , took me all of 30 seconds.

You may eat wherever and whenever you want. Nothing is "frowned upon"! Actually, no one cares!

If you won't be in the dining room and you know in advance, you could tell your server. Otherwise, don't worry about it! That's what cruising is all about nowadays, with all the "specialty" restaurants....do what you want, when you want.