Why is there a dress code if it is just a suggesting

I have been on only 4 cruises so far but I can say that it sure seems to be much more of an issue for those of us not currently vacationing on board a ship right now than those who are.

You about nailed it but really its only an issue to a select few around here that worry about what others wear to dinner. NO ONE will care on board the ship and even if they do, they arent hiding behind a keyboard pounding out insults to those that dont conform to their ways. They will never say anything to the offenders face.

Now on another note, WHERE can I find an Iphone 7? :D :p

In practice, there is little if any actual controversy on board the ship. Unfortunately, the anonymity of a message board appears to give some the courage to foist their opinions on whoever will listen. But that is their right, and I'm okay with that.

Exactly! :) I should have read your reply first before posting mine. You nailed it.

When I was a police officer I took a report from someone (a grown man in his forties!) that had a ball cap on backwards. I told him that he should really turn it around. He couldn't possibly be as stupid as it made him look. After talking to him for a few more minutes I realized he was as stupid as he looked!

If you have to wear a ball cap to dinner at least have the common courtesy to remove it when you're at the table! And don't put it on the table, put it on a chair!

Elvis

Flame on!

Was it this guy? :D

imagessun_20shade_small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If they suggest on formal night for men to wear dinner jacket and tie and someone shows up with dress slacks shirt and tie but no jacket then is that grounds for being turned away? Is this common on royal on formal night? Just wondering what is a big faux pas.

If they suggest on formal night for men to wear dinner jacket and tie and someone shows up with dress slacks shirt and tie but no jacket then is that grounds for being turned away? Is this common on royal on formal night? Just wondering what is a big faux pas.

No one would be turned away for lack of a jacket. Shorts and a tank top, maybe.

To me this is a matter of respect. Respect for the venue, the servers and the majority of fellow cruisers who want to look nice and have a nice evening.

A nice shirt and slacks are fine. But in my opinion, on formal nights if you want to wear shorts and tank tops there are other places to eat where that is more appropriate.

To me this is a matter of respect. Respect for the venue, the servers and the majority of fellow cruisers who want to look nice and have a nice evening.

My grandpa used to say the same thing about church.

I couldn't have put it better myself. Dressing up is part of the cruise experience and the atmosphere on formal nights is great. If people want to wear shorts and t shirts there are other places to eat if they don't want to take part. People know what to expect before they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like the formal nights, my DH not so much. But he still brings his suit to wear for 2 nights out of 7. Not a big deal. With another couple on Grandeur recently, we found it interesting that the head waiter thanked us for dressing up on a formal night. And we saw a few folks not being allowed to dine because they were in shorts or jeans. I am sure the staff must find it uncomfortable to have to speak to people and would rather not have to deal with that. I do think Royal should just post "tonight's dress code is . . . " and leave out the word suggested. Too many people take that as meaning I can wear whatever I want.

Edited by Lady Hudson

I am in favor of different classes of people eating separately where they will be more comfortable. Sadly we have many that want the experience of fine dining but do not want to adhere to the dress codes and behavior as such. Wearing no jacket is acceptable ,but looking like you just stepped off a construction site or farm is not.

I like the formal nights, my DH not so much. But he still brings his suit to wear for 2 nights out of 7. Not a big deal. With another couple on Grandeur recently, we found it interesting that the head waiter thanked us for dressing up on a formal night. And we saw a few folks not being allowed to dine because they were in shorts or jeans. I am sure the staff must find it uncomfortable to have to speak to people and would rather not have to deal with that. I do think Royal should just post "tonight's dress code is . . . " and leave out the word suggested. Too many people take that as meaning I can wear whatever I want.

Jeans are permitted each night, shorts are not permitted in the mdr any night.

Yes, jeans are permitted (and I have worn them on casual nights) but are no where mentioned in the "suggested" dress codes. That is why I believe, personal opinion here, that eliminating that word might help with the ambiguity of the dress codes.

Shorts weren't a problem for guys or gals on our Enchantment cruise in October 2014. Though folks did play nice for the Formal night.

A lot of people have said the same thing, I was just clarifying the actual rule. Personally I don't see the problem with shorts in the mdr.

I am in favor of different classes of people eating separately where they will be more comfortable. Sadly we have many that want the experience of fine dining but do not want to adhere to the dress codes and behavior as such. Wearing no jacket is acceptable ,but looking like you just stepped off a construction site or farm is not.

What people are wearing and how they like to dress has nothing to do with class, as evidenced by the behavior of the people on this and other dress code threads.

I am all in favor of a separate seating section of the DR for those who consider themselves superior to other people. We don't want to sit with you either.

I couldn't have put it better myself. Dressing up is part of the cruise experience and the atmosphere on formal nights is great. If people want to wear shorts and t shirts there are other places to eat if they don't want to take part. People know what to expect before they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Correct. You know before you sail that RCI does not enforce the suggested dress guidelines. You stated it pefectly.

Fine dining, feeding 5000 people in a three hour time span, and singing and dancing waiters enouraging everyone to stand up and do the macarena all fit together how is this class society?

For that matter, which class does someone belong to who makes generalizations about the "cows" in Oasis's Windjammer?

I find it too common and the type of people that frequent it to be ill mannered. if only the cows would get up when finished i wouldn't have any complaints.
Edited by Ocean Boy

explain how some one not dressed to the nines ruins your dining experience? are you more concerned with how you look than how you act? did it you change the flavor of your lobster? Behavior and dress are mutually exclusive. I would guess with your attitude, you will have your retirement party in a phone booth...good luck with that...do you know what formal wear in Hawaii is? an aloha shirt.

And shorts in Bermuda.

Leave it as it is, it works just fine. In 36 cruises on RCI, I have never felt the need for a separate dining area just because we choose to dress formally and I've never seen anyone dressed in a manner that has ruined my evening. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And NOWHERE in any published RCI guideline have I seen where formal dress is described as Military Dress or a Kilt. I just have to play Devil's advocate here because too many people read what they want to believe is printed, not what actually IS printed.

The guideline is MERELY to give a base level of understanding to people from various backgrounds and cultures what the suggested attire translates to. It is not a rule. It's just an FYI, not only in my opinion but in Royal Caribbeans as well.

I call shenanigans. Jeans are permitted all evenings.

You can call it what you like -- I am telling you what I saw. The ship was the Enchantment (while home ported in Baltimore) and the dining room staff seemed to enforce the "suggested" dress code more than some of the other Royal ships I have been on. They also asked men to remove their baseball caps in the dining room at breakfast and lunch as well.

Again -- I think the word "suggested" is the problem. Get rid of it and maybe some of this will go away. But I kind of doubt it.:):)

here we go...I intend to wear a nice pair of "cargo type shorts" and a bahama type shirt with clean tennis type shoes to board on a carribean cruise. I agree with no tank tops and flip flops. I won't get my luggage until after we eat in the MDR the 1st night. Wife's wearing a sun dress to board. After that, it will be dockers on casual nights and a suit on formal nights. I'm not going to try and cram a pair of trousers and a polo shirt in a carryon on boarding day to get all wrinkled up. As far as I'm concerned, I'm cleanly dressed for MDR on boarding day and the Great Gadspy's of the world can stick their sea pass where the sun don't shine.

That's perfectly OK for boarding day. They understand that people don't have their luggage yet.

My DH wore dockers and polo shirts most nights, while I wore capris with dressy tops. We didn't lug tuxes and formal gowns, but did dress up for formal night.