What is your favorite spot for a drink ( or meal) during a Mediterranean port stop?

SeaWatch

Last summer we did the Eastern mediterranean on the Celebrity Silhouette. This summer we are doing the Western Med on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

So I was thinking: what is your favorite spot/s to have a drink or dinner while in port?

With so many to choose from I know it's hard - for me I'll pick Rhodes. We stopped in the city center , second-floor balcony restaurant overlooking a great people watching spot and HUGE glasses of beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Following.

What ports are you doing?

Marseille,Monaco, Livorno, Rome, Taeormino, Corfu, Dubrovnik , Kotor and Venice.

Actually I was just wondering of all the ports what is your favorite - who knows were will go in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It would be difficult to pick just one....

In Istanbul's old town, on a rooftop terrace at sunset as the lights on Haghia Sophia and the Blue Mosque start to come on.

In Split, in the Peristyl area of Diocletian's palace.

In Rome, at Hotel Forum for a drink at sunset, overlooking the Roman Forum as the starlings begin their evening flight patterns.

In Athens at the Grande Bretagne rooftop bar with the Acropolis lit up in the distance.

In Barcelona, at a table on the placa in front of the gothic Cathedral on a Saturday evening when people dance the Sardana.

Marseille,Monaco, Livorno, Rome, Taeormino, Corfu, Dubrovnik , Kotor and Venice.

Actually I was just wondering of all the ports what is your favorite - who knows were will go in the future!

We are hitting all of these ports this summer so interested in where we can go for a memorable bite to eat in our travels. Thanks for posting it.

In Barcelona,Montiel is our favorite restaurant. They have a wonderful tasting menu paired with a wine flight that is fantastic and we could not stop talking about that meal for months. Wait, I guess years, because we last went in 2012. We are so excited to go there again this June.

Rome for a quick pizza lunch, Angels and Demons, was super yummy and a cool little italian neighborhood.

In Barcelona,Montiel is our favorite restaurant. They have a wonderful tasting menu paired with a wine flight that is fantastic and we could not stop talking about that meal for months. Wait, I guess years, because we last went in 2012. We are so excited to go there again this June.

Rome for a quick pizza lunch, Angels and Demons, was super yummy and a cool little italian neighborhood.

I am going to see if I can Google both places :)

In Venice.......

HARRY'S BAR. :) What wonderful times we had there.

Another vote for Harry's Bar in Venice. I was there 8 months ago and it was excellent, as always.

In Rome, everyone in my family loves Corsetti's in Trastevere. Everything is wonderful, but when scampi is on the menu, that is really the thing to order.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy,

Kate

In Venice.......

HARRY'S BAR. :) What wonderful times we had there.

Another vote for Harry's Bar in Venice. I was there 8 months ago and it was excellent, as always.

I can't believe people still flock there. It is probably the biggest tourist trap in Venice! 16 Euro or 22 USD for a small tasteless Bellini in a dingy tavern style establishment with rude waiters in tuxedos :eek:

I can't believe people still flock there. It is probably the biggest tourist trap in Venice! 16 Euro or 22 USD for a small tasteless Bellini in a dingy tavern style establishment with rude waiters in tuxedos :eek:

Believe it. ;)

We had the best calves liver dinner we have had anywhere in the world. We did not go there for a Bellini though I understand that is what many go for.

Have you dined there?

Did you not have a fine meal?

Funny how we were polite the waiters and they were polite to us in return. :) It often works that way.

Edited by sail7seas

Lots of nice spots listed - but if you are ever in Malaga - go to the square close to the Picasso spot. It's an open square and joy to people watch and the olive there are fantastic.

In Barcelona, not picturesque but realistic - the restaurant in the boqueria at the back - the one with the stools. It's fanastic:D

I haven't been to Harry's (not my scene) but I find people often misinterpret the different culture in Europe in regards to dining. Waiters are supposed to be professional and courteous but do not act like your new best friend, tell you about themselves or constantly ask how you are doing. The only volunteer their opinion on various dishes when asked.

They also do not, in general, bring your check until you signal that you are ready. In Europe it would be regarded as rude and a sign they were trying to rush you out. Whereas in the US, we tend to think such a waiter is being inattentive. (We have lost the habit of a long, leisurely meal.)

I haven't been to Harry's (not my scene) but I find people often misinterpret the different culture in Europe in regards to dining. Waiters are supposed to be professional and courteous but do not act like your new best friend, tell you about themselves or constantly ask how you are doing. The only volunteer their opinion on various dishes when asked.

They also do not, in general, bring your check until you signal that you are ready. In Europe it would be regarded as rude and a sign they were trying to rush you out. Whereas in the US, we tend to think such a waiter is being inattentive. (We have lost the habit of a long, leisurely meal.)

Our daughter lives in London, and we go to Europe two or three times a year and are quite accustomed to "European" standards in the hospitality industry. The waiters at Harry's Bar are not like anywhere else ... they are arrogant, rude and simply not pleasant.

We love to "people watch". Sit at any outside table at one of the cafes and leisurely sip a coffee or drink, and literally watch the world go by - locals and tourist groups from everywhere. And the lovely fountains, art sellers, musicians - just a wonderful time to relax from all the touristy hustle and bustle you have been doing all day.

<snip>

The waiters at Harry's Bar are not like anywhere else ... they are arrogant, rude and simply not pleasant.

:eek: Makes one wonder how they've remained so very successful for so many years. Sorry that was your experience there and happy to say in our number of visits, we were treated much more politely and professionally. :)

We love to "people watch". Sit at any outside table at one of the cafes and leisurely sip a coffee or drink, and literally watch the world go by - locals and tourist groups from everywhere. And the lovely fountains, art sellers, musicians - just a wonderful time to relax from all the touristy hustle and bustle you have been doing all day.

I so agree. A very pleasant way to pass a few hours. :)

We loved doing that.

Regarding Harry's Bar in Venice.......

I have never had a Bellini there (or anywhere, for that matter). I have had excellent food and service in the upstairs dining room over the past 30 years. On my last visit, the risotto primavera was outstanding.

Obviously, not every restaurant is to everyone's taste.......(no pun intended!).

Regards,

Kate

One of our favorite meal experiences in the Mediterranean was from the port of Naples. On a DIY port day, we got off the ship in Naples and immediately went to the nearby ferry terminal.

We took a local ferry to the Amalfi Coast. It made a stop in Sorrento (we didn't get off), then we headed to the town of Amalfi where we got off. Hiked all around the beautiful town and hillside vineyards, and then had a drink at a cafe.

Then, we caught another ferry back up to Positano, we we spent several hours hiking around the hills and enjoying the glorious views. On the waterfront just above the beach, were the ferry arrives and departs, we had a late lunch at one of the restaurants. One of us had a pasta dish and the other a pizza, which we enjoyed leisurely over a bottle of wine. Finally, we caught a ferry back to Naples, and re-boarded our cruise ship.

It could have been the view, or the wine, or all of the exercise, but we remember it as one of our best meals in the Med.

IMG_0716.jpg.726905e649de9ead0811840e5c522341.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg.0469a89e34db9b3e71644b9721880cb8.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg.01113057d8878b4c3b653211ed8a5587.jpg