Black Maxi Dress - when to wear?

Hi everyone,

First time cruiser here. I bought a black maxi dress hoping I can wear it at some point on a Mediterranean cruise (on Celebrity). See the attached picture of the dress. The fabric is a jersey knit, but because it's black and has some details at the empire waist, it seems a little dressier to me than the fabric would suggest. My question is, when should I wear this on the cruise? Does the fabric or cut make it too informal for a formal night? If so, would it be suitable for smart casual dinners? When I bought it, I was hoping I could dress it up with accessories and use it for a formal night, but I don't want to be under-dressed. Suggestions/advice?

dress.jpg.40d35e71f8d081700efcb8585ee87e71.jpg

Hi everyone,

First time cruiser here. I bought a black maxi dress hoping I can wear it at some point on a Mediterranean cruise (on Celebrity). See the attached picture of the dress. The fabric is a jersey knit, but because it's black and has some details at the empire waist, it seems a little dressier to me than the fabric would suggest. My question is, when should I wear this on the cruise? Does the fabric or cut make it too informal for a formal night? If so, would it be suitable for smart casual dinners? When I bought it, I was hoping I could dress it up with accessories and use it for a formal night, but I don't want to be under-dressed. Suggestions/advice?

I think with the right accessories, you can wear this on formal night because of its full length. If the fabric is cotton knit, it should look fine as long as it hasn't been washed too many times. Black cotton knit tends to fade after too many washings.

It looks very similar to a dress I have. I've worn mine on Celebrity on smart casual nights but would certainly consider it for formal nights if trying to pack light. We're cruising to Alaska this year and don't plan on packing formal wear for the 1st time in many cruises. If I had not bought another dress I would be taking this one for formal nights. Just add some bling and you will look great.

Mary Lou

Hi:)....I love jersey....you can dress it up or down and NO WRINKLES:D

I sail Celebrity all the time. You won't be underdressed. That dress

can DEFINITELY be worn on any evening...formal or not....;)

I hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

ducklite, I just read your post about how you packed for 3 weeks in Europe, and I loved it! You have some great tips and tricks in there.

I notice you said that you were glad you weren't wearing the skirt when you visited the Acropolis...I had a longer (mid calf length) "broomstick" skirt that I was considering for Athens/Acropolis. Based on your comments I'm wondering if that's a bad idea?

I think this is the perfect dress for dressing up or dressing down. For dressing up, I would look for a flashy statement necklace, which you can find all over now, for a very small price tag. If you go statement necklace, keep the earrings simple.

For dressing down, a simple print scarf and sandals. I think it would be cute with a crop denim jacket, but that would probably depend on the weather.

ducklite, I just read your post about how you packed for 3 weeks in Europe, and I loved it! You have some great tips and tricks in there.

I notice you said that you were glad you weren't wearing the skirt when you visited the Acropolis...I had a longer (mid calf length) "broomstick" skirt that I was considering for Athens/Acropolis. Based on your comments I'm wondering if that's a bad idea?

I wouldn't. Lot's of walking across uneven paths, rocks, rock walkways that are far from level. You'll want to be able to look down and see where your feet are going to land--difficult in a skirt--particularly a broomstick one. The Acropolis is one place that wearing shorts or capris in Europe is advisable, and everyone else will be in them. (Pompei is another.)

Thank you, ducklite. I hadn't thought about needing to see my feet and the skirt preventing that. I'm a hiker, so you would think that would have occurred to me...except I never hike in skirts! :) The skirt will get moved to a different day on my itinerary.

From another point of view, I climbed the Acropolis (and walked around the back side trail too) in a knee length skort. I don't think I brought any (maybe 1 pair) shorts on the Athens - Venice Black Sea cruise....I can't find my packing list on this computer though:o

(we did Meteora on that cruise so I know I did a lot of touring in an ankle length black knit skirt)

A knee length skort would work fine, same idea as shorts or capris really. (A running skirt would also work) It's the "flowiness" of a longer skirt--especially a broomstick or peasant style--that would be an issue. I stupidly wore one to the Vatican and climbed the cupola in it, almost fell several times. Next time I'll wear slacks for sure.

Edited by ducklite

I went to the Med 2 years ago this month.....best cruise I have ever

taken...by far:D

I wore cotton Capri's to the Acropolis and they worked great for me.:)

A knee length skort would work fine, same idea as shorts or capris really. (A running skirt would also work) It's the "flowiness" of a longer skirt--especially a broomstick or peasant style--that would be an issue. I stupidly wore one to the Vatican and climbed the cupola in it, almost fell several times. Next time I'll wear slacks for sure.

I still did hundreds of (uneven) steps at Meteora in a long skirt without any problem. So it can be doable if you want. That trip I was packing pretty light (still not light enough, when I had to carry my bags across the bridges to our hotel in Venica;))

I still did hundreds of (uneven) steps at Meteora in a long skirt without any problem. So it can be doable if you want. That trip I was packing pretty light (still not light enough, when I had to carry my bags across the bridges to our hotel in Venica;))

Some people are just more agile than others in skirts - I can trip on a broomstick skirt on level ground, going up a curb - I can hurt many people. Not for me. The comedic effect would probably be good for everyone watching!

Skirts and dresses on tours do not work for me. Unless one has done the tour before, one does not know how many steps, bridges, stoney paths, trips in and out of the tour bus, or entries and exits from ferries and so on plus all kinds of skirt "hazards" such as a sudden wild breeze might happen.

That is just my opinion and how I prefer to tour without worrying about a skirt, but I do see women who wear long skirts, short skirts and maxi dresses on tours.

They seem to manage well, but I don't want the distraction of having to be careful in a skirt.

I do want to add that the OP's black knit maxi-dress is lovely and a wonderfully versatile dress that can be dressed up or down in any number of ways. With the right shoes, evening bag and jewelry, it would be lovely on formal night. I'd like to have that same dress myself.

Edited by Gangway Style

I love the dress as well - and am thinking of looking for one. I bought a Lands End knee length black dress on ebay for almost nothing - still had tags on it and while I like it, I would love to have a long one. Mine will 'do' for formal night if I dress it up/wear stockings and heels. I'd like to find the right long one.

I'm self conscious about a crooked belly from surgery and jersey has to be cut just right for me to wear it - unless I'm wearing steel belted radial undergarments and am trying to avoid that!!!

Thank you all for the comments about the dress. For those looking for something similar, I believe I bought it (or at least saw similar ones) at TJ Maxx or Marshalls. Solid black was a little tough to find among all of the more brightly colored/patterned ones, and finding a black one in a style that worked for me was even harder. I think the cut of this dress would be flattering for many figures.

Kari