My review of ms Maasdam April 22, 2014

penguinscott

Hello, my name is Penguin and it's been six months since my last cruise. I enjoy cruising because I like to feel pampered and want to relive some of what it might have been like back in the day, when sailing across the ocean was the ritzy experience. I love dressing for dinner and then having a show. I love Holland America the best, and am anxious to try other cruise lines as well. After also sailing on Veendam and Ryndam, I really do enjoy the smaller vessels (Rotterdam was a great ship, also).

I just returned from a 10 day voyage on Maasdam, embarking from Ft. Lauderdale to the Eastern Caribbean. This is not a review of the ports, but of the ship and being on her for the cruise.

The Ship's Staff 8 of 10

The stateroom steward was very good, most requests were honored (didn't take away the mini bar items, which we put in a drawer and were charged for. I noticed the charge and it was refunded). He often seemed tired and sluggish. I felt like he had too many rooms to clean. There were a few days our room was not made up until nearly lunch time. Other times, it was made up promptly. The room was always clean and stocked.

Lido staff seemed unable to assist in a request for security. I was told to go to the Lido buffet, where I was next told to find a supervisor. I felt like if I had a dire emergency, I would have had a hard time getting help. Every staff person on board ship should be able to summon security at a passenger's request! When requesting water, they seemed disappointed that we were not charging drinks to our bill. A water station at the Dive In would help remedy this situation.

I had requested a meeting of aviation enthusiasts; there were quite a few 'interline' guests on board I would liked to have met. For the first time in the past 4 cruises, this request was denied. The program had things such as daily mass, bridge players meets, AA meets and other social activities geared towards small groups. This was a great disappointment. I had asked both the event manager and the cruise director (who actually granted this request on my last cruise, so I'm not sure if this is a new company policy or what).

Often, I saw the hotel director (Darren David Lewis) interacting with passengers and crew, both on and off ship. This was a very nice thing to see. On the other hand, the captain (Ane Jan Smit) was very quiet. I only heard him speak on the stage at the start of the cruise. He didn't even speak at the Mariner's Society brunch. His daily announcements were brief and to the point. He did seem to run a very tight ship. One of the better comments heard, was that it was his job to ensure that all personnel were working with their noses in the same direction.

Extra kudos to the pastry chef! I asked about a dessert I had a previous voyage. He said it was not on the current rotation, but he'd be happy to make one for me. He made 2, one for my dinner table and one for some friends at another table for a birthday. The dessert was wonderful (honey butter tort) and he even gave me the recipe. This was superior service!

Front desk staff were always superior in their skills; always smiled and very helpful. The second time I approached the desk, I was greeted by name. (And I hadn't been complaining about anything!)

There was a time the ship's officers could be seen in the bars mingling with passengers and buying drinks. I never see this any more, however, we did meet Jeff, the chief technician. He bought a round of drinks. First of all, this was a very nice gesture. Secondly, it whet our whistle for more.

The Ship 7 of 10

My cabin was on A deck starboard, midships and with a large picture window. I normally prefer inside cabins, so I can sleep in darkness, but the price was the same for this outside cabin as the inside cabins were. I'd not pay extra for an outside cabin, but it was nice on the few occasions I made a point of enjoying the view. I spent so little time in my cabin.

It was spacious, as are all HAL cabins. The couch was slightly smaller in this cabin, where I couldn't lay out on it, but we had an extra storage area at the end, whereas most cabins don't. There were 4 closets and I liked that the night tables had a locking drawer. There was also a safe. Cabins have a flat-screen TV and lots of counter space. There were 6 drawers near the desk/counter area, as well. Storage space is no issue here, and the steward brought more hangers for us (I shared the cabin with a friend). Be sure to bring an extension cord if you need power near the bed, as the only power outlet is on the desk.

The bathroom was standard with a tub and shower, which during our voyage broke, so we had to hang the shower head on the clothes line to shower. I could often detect an aroma of urine, even after a cleaning by the steward. Not sure if there was a leak or what was going on. I brought air freshener, so I just dealt with this minor issue.

The ship was showering her age. I found many places where rust was quite visible and spots where the paint is wearing off on the dome over the pool. I also found a few places where stair steps were lose. She was stately and I very much enjoyed the ship otherwise.

The cloth linen in the public restrooms, which HAL is known for, seems to be in the process of being phased out. The men's room in the Crow's Nest had no paper towel dispenser and the air dryer didn't work for at least the first 5 days of the cruise...and no linen. I also noticed that the fresh flowers I usually enjoy seeing in the rest rooms were gone.

They've taken away the tables from in front of the stage in the showroom and arranged the chairs along the outer edge of the stage apron. I always used to sit at the tables during shows and enjoyed that layout much more.

Normally, the port approach and docking procedures awaken me. On this voyage, not a single time did I feel any vibration or hear any noise docking in any port. And with no announcements before 0945hrs, I was normally able to sleep in, even on port days.

The downside to no announcements being made was that passengers were would congregate in the stairwells. This made access to my cabin very difficult from the passengers clogging the hallways, the stairwells and elevator lobby. And when trying to get to my room, they all seemed to think I was trying to get in front of them to get off the ship.

The Food 9 of 10

Some of the best dining I've enjoyed at sea was found on Maasdam! The food was always superior. Even on nights when I didn't think the selections looked great, the food always impressed.

Once again, I was disappointed in how great the desserts were; hard not to try so many. I prefer the cruises where the desserts are bland so I can just skip them!

Late night buffet hours are not very accommodating; 1030-1130. I ate there once during the 10 nights and it was good. Had they later hours, I would have dined more often.

HAL really needs to find a way to have food items for those of us night owls available besides room service. My cabin partner went to bed early, so having food delivered to my room was not an option, besides that, I was never in my room and didn't want to be held captive there while waiting for late night food to be delivered. Other lines, if not having a late night restaurant, offer a late night table of food and it's quite popular. (On a previous HAL cruise, I was successful in having food delivered to the Crow's Nest after they had closed, but I had the feeling it was an exception to the rule.)

The Lido Grill, now the “Dive In”, serves excellent burgers, and the fries were OK, but not as good as the old ones were (don't like the battered fries as much). They have several options for burgers, a chicken sandwich, a portabello mushroom sandwich, which I hear is terrific, but I never tried it. They also serve hot dogs and offer toppings for the fries. The Dive In now takes your order and gives you a pager that sounds when the food is ready, so there is no need to hover near the buffet, yet people do this any way.

The Mexican buffet was great and fresh with all sorts of options for tacos, nachos, salads and such. The buffet, like the Dive In, was open from 1130-1700hrs. I wished they opened at 11, as I often overslept breakfast, and from 1030-1130, there is nothing to eat on board, besides room service.

The pizza on HAL used to be really good. Now that pizza is made in the Lido buffet, and looks overcooked and tired. It tasted a little rubbery. The crust was OK, but the cheese was not. HAL can really do better with the pizza and I wish they would!

The buffet always had a great variety of food, even daily ethnic foods, such as Indian dishes. The food was hot and the staff were friendly. I never ordered room service on this ship, so I am unable to comment on this.

The Entertainment 10 of 10

One of the reasons I love HAL so much is the variety of live music on board. Forget all the specialty restaurants, I want my entertainment! So thank you, HAL!

It was great to sail with cruise director Rick Barnes again. He was always enjoyable, upbeat and friendly. I loved how he could be seen going around tables at dinner to say hello to guests. Rick is funny and smart and his informational lectures should be recorded and shown on TV. I really appreciated that Rick didn't make early morning announcements. There were actually very few announcements made on board during this trip.

On this trip, I found the entertainment to be exemplary. The HAL cast was a great team. I was not impressed with the medleys in the Bob Masse show, but enjoyed the costumes. The voices were strong and the music was fantastic. My biggest issue was that they were never seen in the Crow's Nest. On past voyages, I've gotten to know many of the cast members in this fashion. I only ever saw one cast member hanging out in the club at night.

The specialty shows always wowed me! I loved Tony Pace and Jacqi Michaels in particular. The shows on this ship for the most part were among the best I've ever seen at sea! The comedian struggled a bit and there were times his show wasn't funny at all, but I later found out he had received tragic personal news just before taking the stage. In light of this information, I think he was fantastic for even performing at all...but the show must go on.

The HALcats were a favorite. Rikki Loney has a super voice (he appeared on the Xfactor TV show). He should be headlining! I wished they played more often than they did and not play so many oldies. The HALcats are always a highlight of any cruise; an extremely versatile band, performing with the stars brought on board, much like a seasoned house band.

The jazz band in Oceans Bar was phenomenal! The singer had a velvety voice. I loved it when Michael, the cast singer, also joined the band (which he also did with HALcats in the Crow's Nest one night...what a great talent he is!)

One of the things that keeps me loving HAL is the classical music of Adagio in the Explorer's lounge. This duo worked so well together, with piano and violin, and always looked stunning. How decadent to sit and enjoy Adagio with a glass of wine before dinner nightly!

The DJ in the night club was the worst. He never mixed with the crowd. He was reluctant to play requests. When those of us at the bar made a request for 80s music, he played 3 songs, 2 of which were different versions of the same song. He mostly played songs that left the dance floor vacant. He was not able to read the crowd, who largely avoided the dance floor. Three times during this voyage, I left the club when he played hard rap songs which included vulgar language, including the F word. Many thought these songs were simply inappropriate.

So there you have it. It was a wonderful cruise, my second favorite of all my cruises. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on Maasdam again, even with the rust and loose stair steps here and there. I love the size and stateliness of her. HAL seems to be cutting a few corners to save some money. All of these items I have shared with HAL, by the way. I hope they listen. But most of all, I hope you find this review helpful and that if you select a vacation on Maasdam, you can rest assured that you will have a wonderful time. (Unless you're one of those types who just can't be pleased, and there were a few on board with me. These folks just need more than a vacation has to offer.)

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Glad you had a "wonderful" cruise.

Your rating numbers were quite helpful. Many here on CC use "horrible," "poor," "unacceptable," etc to rate their cruise experience which leaves one to think all of their food was inedible or their Room Stewards did nothing.

"Unless you're one of those types who just can't be pleased, and there were a few on board with me. These folks just need more than a vacation has to offer."

Your last sentences (above) are so true. I have encountered a few aboard ship and also here on CC who think that their negative experience was the same for all on board.

I look forward to your next cruise review.

Edited by Crew News

Thanks, Penguin, for your lovely review of the Maasdam. I'm very much looking forward to sailing her in 13 months. I've only sailed HAL on charters thus far, so I'm anxious to experience my first pure HAL cruise. And as the Maasdam will be the smallest ship I've ever sailed, I have this romantic notion that it will feel more like a trip from the grand era, especially as we'll be sailing from Boston to Montreal.

How did you find the Lido Pool area? Was it bustling? Is there live music? And did you spend any time at the Sea View pool? Thanks for any additional comments you might have. Cheers!:)

Thanks for the great review. We too found the entertainment quite good. I think we lucked in with Rick Barnes as he believes in rotating and bringing in new talent.

Cruiser Bruiser - we had live music at the Lido for parts of the day when we were on.

Thanks for your great review.

I am sailing on Maasdam in early June and am looking forward to it, I like that size of ship. It is easy to get around and never overcrowded.

I know she is older but so are we and we are doing ok!! :D

Thanks for your great review.

I am sailing on Maasdam in early June and am looking forward to it, I like that size of ship. It is easy to get around and never overcrowded.

I know she is older but so are we and we are doing ok!! :D

LOL, as are we!

Thanks so much for your review. We're taking the Maasdam for a 14 day southern Caribbean cruise in Jan-March 2015 and I don't know the Maasdam having sailed the Eurodam twice, so it's nice to see what we have to look forward to ... and also what might be a little disappointing. Better to know these things ahead of time I find. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review! I like how you broke it down into categories, used an easy-to-understand scale for rating things, and posted in short, relevant paragraphs. So many reviews drone on and on about insignificant things...yours was very well written!

We were on the cruise right before yours. We really enjoyed the Maasdam, too, and agree that it had really great food, including desserts. You mentioned the Lido late night being 10:30-11:30, that's odd-- Ours was 11-12, which made it convenient for going to right after the show.

When you talked about the public bathrooms, I realized I never once used any of the public bathrooms! I hadn't realized that until you mentioned the towels being phased out.

We did find it odd that there was no announcement when we could get off at ports. I can see how that would cause problems getting to your room. Fortunately our room was far away from any of that.

We, too, found the entertainment to be outstanding.

Thanks, Penguin, for your lovely review of the Maasdam. I'm very much looking forward to sailing her in 13 months. I've only sailed HAL on charters thus far, so I'm anxious to experience my first pure HAL cruise. And as the Maasdam will be the smallest ship I've ever sailed, I have this romantic notion that it will feel more like a trip from the grand era, especially as we'll be sailing from Boston to Montreal.

How did you find the Lido Pool area? Was it bustling? Is there live music? And did you spend any time at the Sea View pool? Thanks for any additional comments you might have. Cheers!:)

You'll love Maasdam. Lido pool was busy on deck, but not a whole lot of swimmers. That can change drastically from one sailing to the next. The Seaview pool is in dire need of an adults-only hot tub!!!! But it's a great place to end an evening, if you can handle the cigarette smoke, as this is the main smoking area on this ship (the starboard side, but depending on how the wind blows...)

There was occassionally live music. On a few days, the steel pans were played by a guy also using a music track. On a few days, the wonderful HALcats played. Other than that, it's music piped in. I enjoyed the Lido and Seaview pool. Lido often had too many kids (unsupervised, at that!) in both the pool and hot tubs.

Hope this helps.

Wonderful and informative review. I will be on Maasdam for first time on May 24. Do you know if the wonderful cd will still be on her?

You will have a new CD, who Rick was training on our voyage; he got off with us in FLL. Your CD is Jeremy, a young, handsome guy. When you see him, tell him you spoke to PENGUIN and that I say hi! He was energetic and upbeat and I think he'll be a great CD. It's his first time. And if you see Rob Loeub, the event manager (his office is on deck 6 port side atrium), do the same...hello from PENGUIN.

Edited by penguinscott

You will have a new CD, who Rick was training on our voyage; he got off with us in FLL. Your CD is Jeremy, a young, handsome guy. When you see him, tell him you spoke to PENGUIN and that I say hi! He was energetic and upbeat and I think he'll be a great CD. It's his first time. And if you see Rob Loeub, the event manager (his office is on deck 6 port side atrium), do the same...hello from PENGUIN.

I wonder how long the contract is for a CD? We will be boarding Maasdam the end of October. I suppose Jeremy may be done by then.

You'll love Maasdam. Lido pool was busy on deck, but not a whole lot of swimmers. That can change drastically from one sailing to the next. The Seaview pool is in dire need of an adults-only hot tub!!!! But it's a great place to end an evening, if you can handle the cigarette smoke, as this is the main smoking area on this ship (the starboard side, but depending on how the wind blows...)

There was occassionally live music. On a few days, the steel pans were played by a guy also using a music track. On a few days, the wonderful HALcats played. Other than that, it's music piped in. I enjoyed the Lido and Seaview pool. Lido often had too many kids (unsupervised, at that!) in both the pool and hot tubs.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for the reply! :) I'll likely spend more time at the Lido Pool. As my 17-year-old niece and I will be travelling the second week of June, I'm expecting the weather will be relatively cool. This will be my first non-charter cruise on HAL, so I'm surprised to hear that there were a lot of kids aboard. I was given the impression the passengers might be, em, older. :o But, lots of kids might still be in school, and I loved the Lido Pool on Westerdam and Nieuw Amsterdam, so I'm sure I'll be perfectly happy regardless of the weather. Cheers.

Spectacularly detailed and accurate in comparison to our Maasdam experiences. Appreciate the time and effort invested in this thoughtful review.

Amy, Juli, Judy and Carol

Edited by bipolarone