Zuiderdam Internet change yesterday

frankc98376

On Zuiderdam now- boarded in San Diego. Coastal cruise had normal per-minute internet.

Librarian handed us a flier and said that Corporate changed plans effective yesterday:

$9.99 per hour (continuous only)

$34.99 per day (24 hours)

$149.99 Voyage Rate (7 days)

No more worrying about lost minutes

On Zuiderdam now- boarded in San Diego. Coastal cruise had normal per-minute internet.

Librarian handed us a flier and said that Corporate changed plans effective yesterday:

WOW! Assuming this will be for all ships, they won't get any more money out of me! By doing email read/write off-line I could usually stretch a 100 min block over a cruise up to 18 days or so. No way will I pay those prices. :(

WOW! Assuming this will be for all ships, they won't get any more money out of me! By doing email read/write off-line I could usually stretch a 100 min block over a cruise up to 18 days or so. No way will I pay those prices. :(

I usually manage the 100 minute plan with time to spare on a 7 day cruise. No way will I pay almost triple. In addition, the 9.99 for a continuous hour doesn't fit either. I usually manage to do everything in 15 to 25 minutes over two time blocks. I guess no internet for me ... might be a good thing.:)

Wow.... that's some change.

Thanks for sharing with us.

I wonder what happens to the five star Mariner benefit now?

It doesn't fit in with this new billing style.

Guess I'll be off-line while at sea. Crazy pricing! I'll just back up my documents & check email while in port.

I managed to get by on 100 minutes for 10 days. (Thank you T-Mobile International Data Pass!) This *really, really, really* jacks up the cost for people who know how to jump on & off the Internet efficiently to get their work done.

One thing I can say for certain is that under this pricing, people who write "Live from..." threads deserve our utmost respect. No only are they sacrificing vacation time, but also treasure.

I managed to get by on 100 minutes for 10 days. (Thank you T-Mobile International Data Pass!) This *really, really, really* jacks up the cost for people who know how to jump on & off the Internet efficiently to get their work done.

One thing I can say for certain is that under this pricing, people who write "Live from..." threads deserve our utmost respect. No only are they sacrificing vacation time, but also treasure.

I most certainly could not agree more with your last statement. Given the issues people that sailed on the 2014 World Cruise had with being online would discourage me from even thinking about use of HAL's connection.

I was thinking about a 1st timer live from Alaska - I may type live, but will definitely be posting from land! Those are awful prices.

I can already see it taking the place of coordinated rum runners - a group purchase with a live hotspot.

Edited by Mytime2014

This would likely save me money since I've been buying a 500 minute plan for my 14 day cruises. Somehow I manage to burn it up.

That's impressive!

Thank you for the update.

Will be interested to know which grandchild I will have to sell to use internet on a 22day voyage. :D

I was thinking about a 1st timer live from Alaska - I may type live, but will definitely be posting from land! Those are awful prices.

I can already see it taking the place of coordinated rum runners - a group purchase with a live hotspot.

Do not give up your drinks. Just write up your reports daily and post them when you can.

Yes, you never want to give up on drinking:D. Autocorrect i assume?

No. That's what I meant to say. Do not give up the rum runners.

Granted, it's not the best sentence construction ever, but I'm okay with it. ;)

No. That's what I meant to say. Do not give up the rum runners.

Granted, it's not the best sentence construction ever, but I'm okay with it. ;)

Or margaritas etc. One really good drink is a cabana cosmo. That's my go to drink on a cruise. It's delish! I know you are talking about carrying it, just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Edited by cruz chic

Those prices are not good - in fact they are awful. For the first time ever on our 14 day Maasdam cruise I was looking for free - or inexpensive wifi on shore. On board I bought 250 minutes for $100 and those saw me through the cruise - I believe I gave back 3 minutes. Our next cruise is 30 days - I can not imagine what the price for internet will be. Robbery!!

Sorry to say, but HAL can stick these plans were the sun doesn't shine. :eek:

With so many credit card companies setting up plans to auto pay the balance due monthly and everyone else setting up the ability to pay bills with credit cards, there is little reason to sign on to the internet for other than personal or work reasons anymore. Personally, I'm happy to give up signing on.

Edited by 0bnxshs

Let's see what happens. HAL fiddled a bit with pricing last year--also on the Zuidy. They backed off fast. I have until September. But if it doesn't change I've done my last Live From.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to say, but HAL can stick these plans were the sun doesn't shine. :eek:

With so many credit card companies setting up plans to auto pay the balance due monthly and everyone else setting up the ability to pay bills with credit cards, there is little reason to sign on to the internet for other than personal or work reasons anymore. Personally, I'm happy to give up signing on.

Mine has nothing to do with work. I used to call my mom buying a $25 phone card. Its difficult to talk on the phone because there is a lot of playback and my mom is going deaf. On my princess cruises i get some free internet so i got into that habit. I started doing a daily write up of the things i do and send it to my sister. She reads it to my mom and my mom loves it. She says its like having me here. To spend a couple hundred to make my mom happy is worth every cent. I'm not chasing down free or cheap internet because it is usually beyond slow. If no one wants to pay that works for me. It should be fast then:).