A plug for travel insurance, no matter your age

bingo3

We have always taken travel insurance thru NCL. Curious what are the differences of booking with private insurance company?

Thanks for the info

Safe sailling

I checked out NCL insurance for our last cruise. The pre-existing conditions section was not the best. Though I don't remember exactly what it was that made me go elsewhere.

Seniors have to pay more for travel insurance, so don't overlook coverage offered by credit cards like trip cancellation and lost baggage, etc. You could save by buying a separate policy with pre-existing conditions, medical & evacuation coverage. We never cruise without insurance!:cool:

We're all going to die, as they say, so there is often a laugh or two to be had. Awhile back there was a thread about how we would all like to "go." I decided the best way would be on a cruise with a Jack Rocks in my hand!:D:D

Always.........On each of our cruises we buy the insurance. Its about $90 for my wife and I. If we rent house for a week or two at the beach we buy the hurricane / Evac insurance, its about $75.

I always buy insurance. I used to buy it because my parents are getting older and my thinking was just in case we had to cancel a vacation (any vacation) or for that matter fly home early because something happened to one or both of them. But this past winter we were booked on Celebrity Summit 2/8/14 sailing. DH ending up in the hospital for 1 wk then rehab/nursing home for 6 days. Had to cancel naturally. I had to provide proof of cruise payment & flight payment. The drs had no problem signing the paperwork. Was reimbursed 4-6 wks later with no additional questions. I will always buy insurance, you just never know. ;)

You're missing the fact that the cruise demographic tends towards the: 1) risk adverse traveler (otherwise they wouldn't be parking their behinds in an all-you-can-eat floating barge), and 2) older clientele. That's why you always get so much rah rah about travel insurance on these boards.

The simple fact is that if you can afford the cost of the cruise, and are not in ill health, travel insurance is a terrible deal. It's not unlike the extended warranties that Best Buy tries to hawk, the ten year maintenance plan/guarantee that is pitched when you buy a new car, or the "flight insurance" vending machines that you see at airports.

If someone is pushing it, they are making money. That means you are losing money.

Ain't rocket science.

My medical insurance covers emergencies anywhere in the world- am I missing something?

My medical insurance covers emergencies anywhere in the world- am I missing something?

So you work for an insurance company and you "believe" you coverage will protect you anywhere in the world....

Wow, I'm impressed as it's an extremely rare policy that provides anything or only extremely minimal outside of the US.

I am assuming you are in the US as your CC profile does not say your location.

Here are the realities of a medical emergency, being stuck in a third world hospital and no way to get home. Medical transport and evacuation can cost $50,000 or more easily. The cost of getting a medically fragile patient requires specialty medical transportation not to mention the expenses of your traveling companion is now staying somewhere in the world in a hotel with little or no language skills and trying to protect you from say the Medical practices in a country whose standards are something different than you would expect in the US.

Travel insurance is a few hundred dollars of insurance to protect you from financial ruin and will get you home.

I would look a bit closer and ask a few additional questions of your co-workers in the claims department.

By the way most insurance offered thru your employer also does not cover medical care by the onboard medical center either.... This medical care can be life saving but extremely expensive!

JMHO

Ps I'm not even speaking about pre-existing conditions but rather a stupid accident .... Think broken leg or worse while zip lining!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

You're missing the fact that the cruise demographic tends towards the: 1) risk adverse traveler (otherwise they wouldn't be parking their behinds in an all-you-can-eat floating barge), and 2) older clientele. That's why you always get so much rah rah about travel insurance on these boards.

The simple fact is that if you can afford the cost of the cruise, and are not in ill health, travel insurance is a terrible deal. It's not unlike the extended warranties that Best Buy tries to hawk, the ten year maintenance plan/guarantee that is pitched when you buy a new car, or the "flight insurance" vending machines that you see at airports.

If someone is pushing it, they are making money. That means you are losing money.

Ain't rocket science.

its a terrible deal.

until something happens.

like it did to my son - on the ship. 10k of expenses for a 12 yo. could only have been avoided if - oh no - it couldn't.

Its not the cost of the cruise - its the extras that can add up real quick. how about a medevac - got that kind of cash lying around?

ok - lets put it this way - lets say you can cover the cost of the cruise. you have 10k lying around. if you put that into a blue chip company and get 3% in dividends each year then the amount you receive will cover the cost of travel insurance. instead of writing off the 10k if something happens you put it to work and get insurance and protect yourself and your money.

what the best idea - protecting what you have or hoping for the best?

My insurance also covers me wherever I am- as long as I'm using a preferred provider. The last thing that I want to do is to track down a preferred provider in a foreign country.

So you work for an insurance company and you "believe" you coverage will protect you anywhere in the world....

Wow, I'm impressed as it's an extremely rare policy that provides anything or only extremely minimal outside of the US.

I am assuming you are in the US as your CC profile does not say your location.

Here are the realities of a medical emergency, being stuck in a third world hospital and no way to get home. Medical transport and evacuation can cost $50,000 or more easily. The cost of getting a medically fragile patient requires specialty medical transportation not to mention the expenses of your traveling companion is now staying somewhere in the world in a hotel with little or no language skills and trying to protect you from say the Medical practices in a country whose standards are something different than you would expect in the US.

Travel insurance is a few hundred dollars of insurance to protect you from financial ruin and will get you home.

I would look a bit closer and ask a few additional questions of your co-workers in the claims department.

By the way most insurance offered thru your employer also does not cover medical care by the onboard medical center either.... This medical care can be life saving but extremely expensive!

JMHO

Ps I'm not even speaking about pre-existing conditions but rather a stupid accident .... Think broken leg or worse while zip lining!

To follow up- yes I did double and triple check I called the claims department today and asked them a serious of questions...am I covered outside the US if I went to the hospital with a broken leg.. "yes, you just have to pay your 150 deductible"..."if I was on the cruise ship and got a stomach virus and went to doctor on the cruise am I covered?" "Yes, your medical is covered along with any medication distributed" and lastely the final question that probable made her think I was nuts.." If I had to be airlifted out of the bahamas or any other foreign country am I covered ? " Yes, you are covered at 85% if you needed to be airlifted"-- I guess i have awesome insurance:)

To follow up- yes I did double and triple check I called the claims department today and asked them a serious of questions...am I covered outside the US if I went to the hospital with a broken leg.. "yes, you just have to pay your 150 deductible"..."if I was on the cruise ship and got a stomach virus and went to doctor on the cruise am I covered?" "Yes, your medical is covered along with any medication distributed" and lastely the final question that probable made her think I was nuts.." If I had to be airlifted out of the bahamas or any other foreign country am I covered ? " Yes, you are covered at 85% if you needed to be airlifted"-- I guess i have awesome insurance:)

Are you US based (wish you'd edit your profile with at least that much)? You need to understand that for 98% of Americans their insurance does NOT even cover a band aid out side of the US borders....

And he worst part is that they have no idea.... medical evacuation is an enormous part of the expense and frankly I still think you and a traveling companion could find your self in trouble should the unthinkable happen.

Oh and if any readers are covered under Obamacare (or Medicare) well you really need Travel Insurance.

Are you US based (wish you'd edit your profile with at least that much)? You need to understand that for 98% of Americans their insurance does NOT even cover a band aid out side of the US borders....

And he worst part is that they have no idea.... medical evacuation is an enormous part of the expense and frankly I still think you and a traveling companion could find your self in trouble should the unthinkable happen.

Oh and if any readers are covered under Obamacare (or Medicare) well you really need Travel Insurance.

Yes- I am from US- NJ actually- the one perk about working for an insurance company is our insurance is amazing... I had my wisdom teeth out a few months ago paid $40 to have all 4 removed... I pay $5 for medication , sometimes less... I had knee surgetry couple years back total was over $10k I paid about $100 for it......

Sounds like your insurance is, indeed, awesome.

An excellent article describing different kinds of insurance for travel and why you may/may not want to purchase each type:

http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/trip-planning/travel-insurance

from Rick Steves article:

For some travelers, insurance is a good deal; for others, it's not.

What are the chances you'll need it? How willing are you to take risks? How much is peace of mind worth to you?

Take these considerations into account, understand your options, and make an informed decision for your trip.

...just wondering, how many people travel each year?

What percentage need a medical evacuation?

Any statistics?

from Rick Steves article:

For some travelers, insurance is a good deal; for others, it's not.

What are the chances you'll need it? How willing are you to take risks? How much is peace of mind worth to you?

Take these considerations into account, understand your options, and make an informed decision for your trip.

...just wondering, how many people travel each year?

What percentage need a medical evacuation?

Any statistics?

FWIW travel insurance is highly profitable.

the useage of insurance probably 1 in 100. medical evacuation is a small percentage of that. most evacuations are buying a first class ticket and one for a companion...medical evacuation by air ambulance a smaller percentage of that but when its you...

What we always say is "statistics are comforting until you are one" and I'm grateful to you all for this thread because it never occurred to me that there was more than just the cost of the cruise and flight. I just contacted my travel agent to add insurance to our trip. Hope I can blame you all for "wasting $100" next month. :D

Sadly my kids work for an insurance company based in Oregon and their employee coverage is awful..... No other way to put it!

I guess certain ones offer better medical insurance than others- I have worked for AIG and now ACE both are huge very well known companies (worldwide, which may play a role), I have never had any problems with either.

I will not be purchasing medical as per my coversation with my medical insurance (I called Aetna and talked to them) I am covered and do not think it is necessary to buy additional medical insurance, however I may be buying something to cover me in case our flight does not make it in time.....

And for all you wondering--insuremytrip.com you can buy insurance up to 24 hours before you leave.

Edited by danic8824

What we always say is "statistics are comforting until you are one" and I'm grateful to you all for this thread because it never occurred to me that there was more than just the cost of the cruise and flight. I just contacted my travel agent to add insurance to our trip. Hope I can blame you all for "wasting $100" next month. :D

I'm one of those who feel as long as I have "planned for worst" and bought insurance, then I will never need it....

But heaven help me that I don't do it, then I will be sooo sorry!

May you never be stuck at the airport when your ship comes in! :)

Edited by nana541

I never purchased travel insurance but when NCL offered it for $29.00 per person, I accepted. I hope I never need it, but having it gives me peace of mind.

For $29 I'd take it too. Usually insurance 5-10% of the cost of the trip. I consider myself self insured. We were robbed of a necklace in Argentina once and our homeowners insurance covered us. Our HMo covers quite a bit when traveling and what it doesn't cover I can afford.

I have saved well over $10,000 in insurance if I were to add all my cruises and trips. I have a high risk tolerance obviously.

Just as FYI If you're like me and have done your prearrangements and have Neptune society which is more expensive then any other cremation BECAUSE they will arrange to have you created in any place in the world and then brought home at no extra cost. I bring this up in reply to the poster who said it cost a fortune to bring a loved one home who had a fatal heart attack.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Just want to plug travel insurance for anyone who may be on the fence. When we get older, we see more reasons for it, but the younger folks may not.

My sister and her husband were on a bus from the parking garage to the ship (another line) this morning, taking her 10 yr. old granddaughter on her first cruise when the child suffered a grand mal seizure (having never had a seizure in the past). Got her to the ER at MUSC and after many tests, could not find the cause, sent her home with tests scheduled for this week. Praying it was a one time freaky thing.

Obviously, they missed the cruise (though their luggage did not :(). Fortunately she does have insurance, so hopefully, all will work out. Had they not had it, would have been an expensive lesson to learn! We just never know what may happen and age is no matter. It's an extra expense, but worth it when something does happen.

Sorry and hope that your neice is well! I just heard today from a Celebrity cruiser who due to airport delays missed their cruise they had no insurance! While we do take travel insurance, we also arrive a day early as delays happen through out the year- not just in winter!

I am also grateful for this thread - not on my own behalf, since I purchase a 12-months valid world wide travel insurance every year from my insurance company. But because it makes many cruise passengers that didn't think about the "need" of a travel insurance at least think a little bit more before deciding if they should (or shouldn't) purchase a travel insurance for unexpected situations while on vacation. :)

I live in Northern Europe myself, and my impression is that for most Europeans it is much more common to purchase a travel insurance (for all trips) than it is for Americans (generally speaking).

Edited by TrumpyNor

I have saved well over $10,000 in insurance if I were to add all my cruises and trips. I have a high risk tolerance obviously.

Just as FYI If you're like me and have done your prearrangements and have Neptune society which is more expensive then any other cremation

BECAUSE they will arrange to have you created in any place in the world and then brought home at no extra cost.

On the lighter side, I'd like to be created on a beach in Brazil and then, just stay there.:D

Edited by $hip$hape

Just an fyi... if you're pregnant while cruising you can forget about cruise insurance. Even the pricy "cancel for any reason" does NOT cover canceling due to anything related to your pregnancy. The best you can get is medical insurance, but even that has minimal coverage towards anything related to the pregnancy.