Flight change without notification

Just checked my flight for this Saturday and discovered it had changed. Delta had cancelled my flight and put me on an earlier one. Called Choice Air, as they had booked the flights, and was told I had been notified by e-mail. I asked him to re-send the itineraries, and he asked for my e-mail address....they didn't have it! I was positive I had not received a change notice from Choice Air or Delta. Chances are I would have missed the flight.

Same thing has happened to us before. I'm not very confident of Choice Air's ability to send out notifications. I've learned to check the airline's website almost daily to make sure no changes have occurred. We've had equipment changes where our seat assignments got changed with no notice.

Edited by clarea

I won't even begin to tell you our big ordeal we went through a few years ago because they changed our flight and "notified" us by email. Funny, we had two different bookings and neither one of them received their email? Ugh, what a nightmare it was, especially considering we were traveling with our four kids. :mad:

Flight times changing is pretty common now. I've never booked through Choice Air, but I know I don't always get e-mails about changes either. Everyone should check their air reservations regularly to make sure they haven't changed. And its especially important to check the night before to make sure you will be on time if there were any last minute changes.

I just returned from a cruise that I used Choice Air. About a month before we were scheduled to leave, we got a flight change notification but it was from British Air. We have another cruise, with Choice Air, booked for October. About three weeks ago, we got a flight change notification, but again, it was from Air Canada this time, not Choice Air.

Neither change made a difference in our plans.

My last two flights (both on Delta) had changes that I was not e-mailed about -- even though Delta's website makes a HUGE deal about giving them contact info. A connecting flight changed so much that it would have missed it, so I had to call and have them get me on an earlier flight to the connecting city. I never would have know except for the fact that my sister was trying to book on the flight I was connecting to, and that flight was no longer on Delta's schedule, so she called me to confirm flight #.

I learned my lesson. I check my flights at least once a week now.

I guess lack of communication isn't just at MY place of employment!

Flight times changing is pretty common now. I've never booked through Choice Air, but I know I don't always get e-mails about changes either. Everyone should check their air reservations regularly to make sure they haven't changed. And its especially important to check the night before to make sure you will be on time if there were any last minute changes.

I agree 100%. We have gotten 3-4+ changes to flights that we have booked 9 months before our cruise. Plus even though we are FF with Delta, there was no email.

There is one valuable lesson I have learned, keep your ORIGINAL flight confirmation with times. With Delta if you flight time varies by more than 1 hour you will be allowed to re-book for free to get better or closer times to your original confirmation. We try to book the lowest cost flight for that day even though it may not get us to our destination when we prefer. A few times we have been able to book a much better (time) flight for the same price. One time we were able to book a whole day different.

Enjoy your cruise.

Our flight time was changed for a cruise this October. We did not receive any notification. If the DW wasn't looking at it, I wonder if we would have even known.

I called and they changed us to another flight, with a much worse schedule. :( Too bad for them, as this airline is now on my "don't ever do business with them again" list.

I always make sure I get the airline confirmation number and specifically add it to my personal account with the airline so that the airline contacts me about changes to reservations in my account ... though vigilance is still required. ;)

I once got changed to a connecting flight on Delta that left before we landed. Another time they moved us to a different day, which would have been the day we sailed. As pointed out you need to check your reservation at least weekly the last six months and then daily the last month before you fly. Any sign of a change that doesn't work I call the airlines directly and they have always been helpful in making the change. However, I always try to book directly with the airlines vs a third party.

My father in the US had booked through ChoiceAir to join us on a Mediterranean cruise leaving from Rome. His flight went via JFK and initially had a 1.5-2hour layover which, if you've ever been to JFK and had to connect through their international terminal, even this LARGE window is actually quite tight, as the security lines are enormous and very slow moving.

Well about a week before the cruise, I double-checked the regular flight schedules online and realised that his international connection (the one departing from JFK) was now leaving even earlier, and he had a tiny 45minute connection time!! I insisted he call ChoiceAir and have them re-arrange his first flight to get in to JFK earlier. They insisted it would be fine as he would 'connect from the same terminal since it was the same airline'. NOT TRUE! But he couldn't argue with them, and they refused to change it.

The day of the flight, there were HUGE delays flying in to JFK due to a runway issue. They frantically called him the morning of (we'd already been in touch, having a 5-hour headstart on the day, and had seen the problems first thing) asking if he could get a significantly earlier flight. Fortunately he lives 5 minutes from the airport and was able to rush off, only to be delayed by several hours due to this runway issue.

He got to JFK with about 30 minutes to connect to his flight!!! NO ONE met him at the plane, NO ONE gave him ANY information, and he was NOT IN THE SAME TERMINAL!

He sprinted with his carry-on to the first people he could find, who told him he had missed his flight. He started crying at this point, as we hadn't seen each other in over a year and we are very close. Fortunately they were very sympathetic and rushed him through security and got him on his flight.

Regrettably, his checked luggage did NOT make it with him. He went for 3 days on the cruise without his luggage. Fortunately he had packed enough stuff in his carry-on to survive plus Royal Caribbean onboard were fantastic and gave him laundry vouchers, a free t-shirt, and a free tux rental.

ChoiceAir though -- I don't think I would EVER book with them, personally. He received no compensation for his troubles despite the fact we had warned them prior to everything which ultimately ended up happening. Definitely not a positive experience!

My father in the US had booked through ChoiceAir to join us on a Mediterranean cruise leaving from Rome. His flight went via JFK and initially had a 1.5-2hour layover which, if you've ever been to JFK and had to connect through their international terminal, even this LARGE window is actually quite tight, as the security lines are enormous and very slow moving.

Well about a week before the cruise, I double-checked the regular flight schedules online and realised that his international connection (the one departing from JFK) was now leaving even earlier, and he had a tiny 45minute connection time!! I insisted he call ChoiceAir and have them re-arrange his first flight to get in to JFK earlier. They insisted it would be fine as he would 'connect from the same terminal since it was the same airline'. NOT TRUE! But he couldn't argue with them, and they refused to change it.

The day of the flight, there were HUGE delays flying in to JFK due to a runway issue. They frantically called him the morning of (we'd already been in touch, having a 5-hour headstart on the day, and had seen the problems first thing) asking if he could get a significantly earlier flight. Fortunately he lives 5 minutes from the airport and was able to rush off, only to be delayed by several hours due to this runway issue.

He got to JFK with about 30 minutes to connect to his flight!!! NO ONE met him at the plane, NO ONE gave him ANY information, and he was NOT IN THE SAME TERMINAL!

He sprinted with his carry-on to the first people he could find, who told him he had missed his flight. He started crying at this point, as we hadn't seen each other in over a year and we are very close. Fortunately they were very sympathetic and rushed him through security and got him on his flight.

Regrettably, his checked luggage did NOT make it with him. He went for 3 days on the cruise without his luggage. Fortunately he had packed enough stuff in his carry-on to survive plus Royal Caribbean onboard were fantastic and gave him laundry vouchers, a free t-shirt, and a free tux rental.

ChoiceAir though -- I don't think I would EVER book with them, personally. He received no compensation for his troubles despite the fact we had warned them prior to everything which ultimately ended up happening. Definitely not a positive experience!

Very sad to hear this experience, especially since we are planning on using Choice Air for our Alaska trip next summer. A bit concerned since we are traveling so far and concerned about delays. May have to rethink that.

Just checked my flight for this Saturday and discovered it had changed. Delta had cancelled my flight and put me on an earlier one. Called Choice Air, as they had booked the flights, and was told I had been notified by e-mail. I asked him to re-send the itineraries, and he asked for my e-mail address....they didn't have it! I was positive I had not received a change notice from Choice Air or Delta. Chances are I would have missed the flight.

It's happened to me with United so many times. I complain, but to no avail. Now what I do is periodically check my flight time and seat assignments, because I've lost aisle seats when they change equipment. It infuriates me.

Yep. Choice Air or any air, it makes sense to verify flights every couple weeks now as a trip gets near. Then especially the last few days. Don't blame choice air in particular - it seems none of the airlines can be counted on to notify of schedule changes any more.

Also a good idea to download the airline app's on your phone and login so you can monitor your flights that way.

Sad but true, flight changes are COMMON, don't rely on the airlines to notify - keep checking your reservations.

Edited by bouhunter

I just had a big time change on our Delta flight in June. My daughter who is also on the trip got an email from Delta of the change but I didn't. We both had chosen the same option of being notified of changes in the flight. Moral of the story don't rely on others to keep track of your vacation.

I check my flights almost daily on my phone. The airline apps are great for checking the status of my flights.

Shak

I booked flights for our August 2014 vacation back in October 2013. Super cheap price, decent flights. For some reason, talking with my mother a couple of weeks ago, we decide to check to see current pricing. Surprise!!! Both flights are gone. We've been moved to different flights (luckily together but not what we wanted). Called to inquire about changing then sat down and talked about what we wanted to do.

Ended up changing not only times but airports so that we are now committed to a particular ship instead of waiting to see who comes in lower. And, for my trouble, the wonderful rep moved us up to Premium Economy seats at no cost.

He's my new BFF. This was on United.

My sister booked Choice Air for her PR sailing, because Celebrity was giving a $400 credit as one of their booking bonus options. Of course, flights changed, CA didn't notify her, she heard nothing from the airlines. She's pretty good about checking so was lucky to catch it and be able to modify things to her satisfaction. But I don't think that she'd use them again unless there was a big financial incentive to do so. Just another middleman in the process.

I have never used Choice Air, but I always flew Delta for leisure and business. However, Delta is constantly changing equipment. On my last series of flights to San Diego, Delta changed my business booking 8 times in two months. I never received a notice. In fact the only noticed I received was when was boarding the flight that my seat was changed. Thirty minutes before that I was in another seat.

So it is not solely Choice Air that changes flights and does not notify of itinerary changes.

It really does seem hit or miss. I am a frequent flier with American, and even I don't always get everything. Last year I had a flight change by 3 hours and got nothing. Last week, I had a flight NUMBER change (times stayed the exact same) for a flight operated by Iberia (as an AA codeshare) and DID get an email. Who knows...

When flying domestically I will book directly with the airlines and not choice Air. They seem to have better international prices then the airlines, and service. An example was our flight to Sydney this past March, one way coach thru the airlines was $1250 PP we got our flight for $841.91 PP from Choice Air from LAX. At the sametime I regularly check for changes in flight schedules and reconfirm all bookings prior to our leaving.

A couple of comments.... Did your father have cruise insurance? If so, there should have been a clause about lost or delayed luggage. Most cruise insurance will compensate you a certain amount if your luggage is delayed. Not really a function of the airlines or Choice Air.

I have never used Choice Air, but a friend is using them next week. They will fly from Atlanta to Seattle on the day the cruise departs. According to her, the flight they are on is the earliest. Not so. There is one 2 hours earlier. I know as I am a pilot for the airlines and can access the schedule. I suspect Choice Air booked them in the second flight to save money. The earlier flight would not allow any connecting passengers. The second will. So likely Choice Air gets a cheaper fare fore booking multiple seats on the same flight, plus only needs one bus to pickup passengers for transfer to the port.

Personally I always go at least a day early. As a pilot I know the pitfalls of same day travel. For me it isn't worth the stress to save a few dollars. But if you want the reduced airfare of Choice Air, that is just sometimes the risk you need to take.

As for schedule changes, the airlines frequently change the schedule for efficiency reasons. I am not privy to their thinking, but we see it often. It's about maximizing revenue, a "must do" item to stay in business. No excuse for not notifying passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk