New HAL Dress Code ?

G&G

WOW,

Since I started this thread, I had no idea where this would go. The idea of Rural Night was very funny at the show. I saw at least 8-10 people in the Showroom who were in this category for Barnaby's show.

I personally do not like to dress up; prefer cruise lines with no formal nights. But rules are rules. If HAL wishes not to enforce their recommended dress attire then change them or do not have dress standards.

Oh My, now bathrobes an be worn in the MDR :eek: !

I enjoyed your post, and I thought it was funny, but some people have an agenda or take life too seriously. Thanks for sharing anyway.:)

The fact that multiple people have seen this same comedian - including us - and he always has someone in the front row who is way underdressed makes me think "plant" or "confederate."

To change the subject.....

Of course it's the same routine done every night no matter what the ship, no matter what the cruiseline. Once a "cruise ship" comedian gets a laugh, they will set it up the same way for YEARS.:p Have routine will travel. With new audiences on every itinerary, why bother to change? That's why "seasoned" comedians like the gig. No hassle having to write new material. We have seen the same jokes being performed by different comedians on different lines, ship and itineraries. How many times can we hear the same jokes re the small bathrooms and showers..or how much people eat at buffets or....? :eek::D

Edited by eandj

so.... that means you are the t-shirts and flip flops type on the cruises then???? I feel people should dresss appropriately if on a cruise and the evening attire is just that. Dress accordingly or hang out by the pool, or in your cabin or somewhere else where you don't need to make your "statement".

Even if people are not dressing formally, it does not necessarily mean that they'll wear t-shirts and flip flops to the MDR. Have you never heard of smart casual?

No need to exaggerate - it puts peoples' backs up and you lose all credibility!

Of course it's the same routine done every night no matter what the ship, no matter what the cruiseline. Once a "cruise ship" comedian gets a laugh, they will set it up the same way for YEARS.:p Have routine will travel. With new audiences on every itinerary, why bother to change? That's why "seasoned" comedians like the gig. No hassle having to write new material. We have seen the same jokes being performed by different comedians on different lines, ship and itineraries. How many times can we hear the same jokes re the small bathrooms and showers..or how much people eat at buffets or....? :eek::D

Too close to true too often. One exception is Marty Brill. I have seen him numerous times over the years, sometimes with only a short interval between cruises. His material is always fresh and new. He really works at it, and I appreciate the effort he puts in.

Our observation across several cruise lines, including HAL is that

-there is a increasing, and very noticeable number of cruisers who do not wish to dress up or attend formal evenings in the MDR. We see them on deck, in the buffet, in alternative restaurants, and attending shows

-the vast majority of those people are like us...dressed in business casual clothes and in warmer climates in shorts. They are out on the deck having dinner, after dinner drinks. A declining number seem to be attending the shows (with very good reason) but they can be found in the various bars and lounges as long as the entertainment is appropriate to their tastes. They enjoy HAL ships and the HAL environment. They simply want to opt out of those few hours of formal wear. Is this such a big deal? Is it a reason for them not to consider a HAL cruise? I think not.

This certainly does not mean that they are poorly dressed, should really be on other cruise lines, or are lesser beings in general. They just want to enjoy their vacation in another manner. And they come from all walks of life. Some of them were probably raised in an environment where conformity was not the be all and end all in life.

Although some cruisers of a certain age may reject this, the bottom line is that as a cruise line HAL is absolutely encouraging it. Like it or not, this happens to be HAL's target market.

Edited by iancal

-there is a increasing, and very noticeable number of cruisers who do not wish to dress up or attend formal evenings in the MDR. We see them on deck, in the buffet, in alternative restaurants, and attending shows

-the vast majority of those people are like us...dressed in business casual clothes and in warmer climates in shorts. They are out on the deck having dinner, after dinner drinks. A declining number seem to be attending the shows (with very good reason) but they can be found in the various bars and lounges as long as the entertainment is appropriate to their tastes. They enjoy HAL ships and the HAL environment. They simply want to opt out of those few hours of formal wear. Is this such a big deal? Is it a reason for them not to consider a HAL cruise? I think not.

This certainly does not mean that they are poorly dressed, should really be on other cruise lines, or are lesser beings in general. They just want to enjoy their vacation in another manner. And they come from all walks of life. Some of them were probably raised in an environment where conformity was not the be all and end all in life.

Although some cruisers of a certain age may reject this, the bottom line is that as a cruise line HAL is absolutely encouraging it. Like it or not, this happens to be HAL's target market.

Hammer meets the nailhead in this post.

We are that audience. No way are we dragging formal clothes to Norway for two nights out of a 16 day trip. We will happily forgo the MDR these two evenings, and if you ever visit the lido on a formal night you'll see we are a fastly growing minority.

Even if people are not dressing formally, it does not necessarily mean that they'll wear t-shirts and flip flops to the MDR. Have you never heard of smart casual?

Exactly. :)

I don't even own flip flops or sandals that don't have a back strap. I don't really own any t-shirts with print on them either (I have a few souvenir type ones but don't wear them). My everyday wardrobe is a nice pair of dark jeans with either a sweater or a nice top/shirt. In the summer I switch to capris and occasionally jean shorts that come to mid thigh. I might occasionally wear a skirt/dress in the summer but that's uncommon since I have the dreaded loose extra skin that many previously obese people suffer from in the upper thighs. My legs are skinny from mid thigh down only. :)

I talked to the comedian, Barnaby, the next day about his idea of Rural Night. He told me it was a spontaneous reaction. I had seen him several times on prior cruises and this was new.

I agree with everything you said. My husband and I have avoided formal night on occasion and have gone to the lido. We still look quite nice. This is not who we are referring to. It is the people who are dressed for a day at the beach and want to eat in the dining room. That is why the lido is open, often with the same menu. They may say they want to be waited on and want the experience of the dining room as they paid for it. Well so did I with the expectation that I would feel like I was dining at a fine restaurant as opposed to Denny's.

that is why I said to dress appropriately... what part did you miss??

that is why I said to dress appropriately... what part did you miss??

Apparently you missed the part where you quoted me and then accused me of wearing flip flops and shorts... when I never said anything of the sort. I think that's the problem.

We are that audience. No way are we dragging formal clothes to Norway for two nights out of a 16 day trip. We will happily forgo the MDR these two evenings, and if you ever visit the lido on a formal night you'll see we are a fastly growing minority.

Totally agree with you. We have to fly for up to 30+ hours to get to Europe or Canada (last year 28). When we do travel we like to stay 6+ weeks (this year 10). We do a variety of things independent travel, organised land tours, cruises etc., we do not take formal clothing for perhaps 2-6 nights out of 70.

We know HAL's Dress Code so we either go to the Lido or order room service that night. It's really no big deal for us.

We are doing the same, in the opposite direction. 24 hours elapsed flight tie to Bangkok, 7 weeks of land travel going south, then a Feb. cruise from Sydney. The chances of us taking formal clothing, or clothing that gets worn a few times is nil. We will probably try and do carry on.

During a conversation with Westerdam HD about the "dress code" he said that other than the MDR and the PG " we are not going to prevent any of our guests from enjoying any of our venues."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean to say that I can't wear my cut off's and favourite sports t-shirt into the MDR? That sucks. That means after I finish sneaking my alcohol onboard and drinking it on my balcony with the door propped open, I have to change? :P
Of course not! Its your cruise and you can sneak if you want to! Just be sure and report so we can cheer.;)

I know the "Dress Code" threads have been far too numerous on HAL but I wish to add this one.

We just completed a 29 day cruise on the Statendam. HAL dress code was the standard found on all ships; Smart Casual and Formal. But a comedian, Barnaby, came up with a new dress code for the ship.

He walked onto the stage of the Showroom for his performance, looked into the audience and saw a man in the front row and said;

"You are wearing a cap, a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops. I have heard of Smart Casual and Formal Nights; I did not know this was RURAL NIGHT." :D

He got quite a response !

Needless to say on this cruise was the usually; men wearing t-shirts in the MDR for dining, men wearing shorts and flip-flops at Canelletto on formal night, men wearing shorts and flip flops in the Pinnacle for lunch; etc., etc.

HAL either change the dress code to Rural or enforce the current dress codes.

We just finished a 14 day TA, first HAL cruise in about 4 years, we were surprised about dress, day, night whatever. What dress code, rural or sloppy is more like it. I even had a lady stop me while I was walking the main deck to comment on the fact that my day slacks were pressed -- I was somewhat taken back then noticed everyone else seem to be wearing day cloths that were more like sweat clothes for the gym. Things have changed, seems a lot of folks have just given up. We packed two suitcases and two carryons, we were not over weight and still dressed for 4 formal nights and smart casual or better every night and day. We like the traditional cruise experience which seems to be fading fast.

Originally Posted by akacake View Post

You mean to say that I can't wear my cut off's and favourite sports t-shirt into the MDR? That sucks. That means after I finish sneaking my alcohol onboard and drinking it on my balcony with the door propped open, I have to change? :P

Of course not! Its your cruise and you can sneak if you want to! Just be sure and report so we can cheer.;)

This is the 1st cruise that I have ever "pre-ordered" my alcohol and not tried to "sneak" any on...I will try my best to behave the whole trip...promise :rolleyes:

Frankly, I agree with you.

DH had stopped wearing a tux several years ago and mostly only brought a blazer and tie our last few cruises. Don't lump all the 'new audience' as the only ones tired to 'pretend' formal night on HAL ships. 'Real' formal nights on HAL ships are over with on short cruises. Perhaps they are more traditional on lengthy cruises?

Some of us 'oldies' are joining the ranks of those who no longer welcome lugging formal clothes.

While I am reading this I have the TV going and just saw the new HAL ad twice in one show. They are really spending the bucks as I see this ad almost daily on all channels. What is interesting is that the people in the ad are pretty dressed up compared to what I am reading here. Is HAL subtly telling us all we need to step up and dress like the folks in the ad? :):):)

Second thought, we did a NCL cruise in the Mediterranean last year. NCL is known for having a totally relaxed dress code, basically passengers dress up or down as they see fit. If I think about passengers on the two lines, based on our recent HAL TA cruise basically the same. No difference at all. That says a lot about how things have changed on HAL. Would have never thought NCL and HAL are that similar but it seems they are today in many ways.

While I am reading this I have the TV going and just saw the new HAL ad twice in one show. They are really spending the bucks as I see this ad almost daily on all channels. What is interesting is that the people in the ad are pretty dressed up compared to what I am reading here. Is HAL subtly telling us all we need to step up and dress like the folks in the ad? :):):)

Do you go buy a car in a suit out business casual on your days off? Advertising pages the idea of wealth and abundance and a well dressed person gives that impression.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk