I think another passenger missed Breakaway 5/16/14

The Twitter feed said they made it onto the "Faithful" Tugboat to catch up https://twitter.com/PTZtv/status/467398893014360064/photo/1

But, according to Facebook posting - looks like 3 BA pax will be flying home instead - sure hope that they got travel interruption insurance :eek: ;)

Edited by mking8288

The Twitter feed said they made it onto the "Faithful" Tugboat to catch up https://twitter.com/PTZtv/status/467398893014360064/photo/1

But, according to Facebook posting - looks like 3 BA pax will be flying home instead - sure hope that they got travel interruption insurance :eek: ;)

Trip interruption insurance won't cover simply missing the ship's departure. There would have to be a covered reason...typically reasons such as illness, or being involved in an automobile accident, to name two.

Would they be able to stay in Bermuda and catch another cruise home if they don't have a passport?

No...using a birth certificate instead of a passport is permissible only for a closed loop cruise. Once they missed the ship, it's no longer a closed loop cruise.

No they wouldn't they are in trouble if they dont

Trouble to the extent that they'll have the visit the US consulate and apply for a passport and wait until it's issued...which could take a while (and staying in Bermuda isn't cheap). It's possible someone in the State Department will take pity on them and issue an authorization letter permitting them to fly back to the US without a passport, but I wouldn't count on it.

While today's Breakaway cast off was great entertainment for those of us at home, the people who got left behind are really going to shell out big bucks to re-unite themselves with the USA. I wonder what the process is for the ship cleaning out their belongings out of their cabin? :cool:

I just don't get it... three days on the island and you still miss the boat? I can understand if it was a one day stop and the time change happened or something but three days in the same time zone is a bit silly! Hopefully the Captain uses this video on the ship to show future cruisers what will happen if they're late! :D

Airfare is less than $250 one way to JFK from Bermuda. It's just that they would need to find a hotel for the next 2 nights, among other things.

What amazes me is how do they not make it to the ship in Bermuda, the ship is in port 3 days!

You are all assuming the PAX was from the US. If from another country, all those numbers just got bigger! Not to mention missing their vacation (maybe the vacation of a lifetime) and watching all their possessions and maybe their relatives and friends sail off into the distance.

We went to Bermuda two years ago on the Star and there had to have been about 20 people that were late coming back to the ship after three days in port. I don't think we left anyone behind but we did leave about 30 minutes late.

It was annoying to those of us that made it back on time to wait for late ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am usually not annoyed by late returning passengers. It is fun to see folks running for the ship. I know, I am bad for being amused by some one elses misfortune. I have seen on more than a few occasions late passengers. Later to find out most if not all, I have seen, were folks who just lost track of time.

I am only annoyed when I book dinner too early and I have to miss the days sailaway. Then I blame myself for booking too early a reservation.

Why do people get annoyed when others are late and it doesn't affect you? The ship will still make it back on time. I had a horrible experience when the bus broke down on a shore excursion and we arrived back on the ship an hour after the ship was supposed to depart. People were booing us from their balconies and making rude comments having no idea that we spent 2 hours on the side of the road and then on a bus with no ac trying to make it back. It was a ship sponsored excursion which is why the boat waited.

We went to Bermuda two years ago on the Star and there had to have been about 20 people that were late coming back to the ship after three days in port. I don't think we left anyone behind but we did leave about 30 minutes late.

I wouldn't even notice 30 minutes. Why would it be annoying? It doesn't have any impact on the rest of the cruise.

I wouldn't even notice 30 minutes. Why would it be annoying? It doesn't have any impact on the rest of the cruise.

It wouldn't bother me if the ship leaves late. I'm aboard relaxing and enjoying myself.

I wonder if the late passenger forgot to set her watch to Bermuda time. They're 1 hour ahead of us.

Why do people get annoyed when others are late and it doesn't affect you? The ship will still make it back on time. I had a horrible experience when the bus broke down on a shore excursion and we arrived back on the ship an hour after the ship was supposed to depart. People were booing us from their balconies and making rude comments having no idea that we spent 2 hours on the side of the road and then on a bus with no ac trying to make it back. It was a ship sponsored excursion which is why the boat waited.

Happened to us on a excurtsion in St. John, Newbrunswick about 60 miles from the ship. We were on our own with a privateer tour. The guys serpantine belt started fraying. I am like "Beautiful! We are now going to miss the ship because we took the cheapest tour!!!"

We did make it back in time, the driver was this Popeye looking type guy. He asked us if we had any tools. Well my mother in-law had nail clippers. Guess what Popeye was a regular McGivver. He fixed it and we did get back. Stressss!!!

Going any distance from the ship on a one day stop, I now only do ship excursions.

Not sure about the 2 missing pax & whether they're on the same tug boat, the portcam only showed the female wearing the orange life vest & in the zoom pix, watching her tote-sized purse and the shopping bag. Odds are that she didn't take 3 days worth of personal meds, if she needs them, nor any extra change of clothing or sleepwear - would need to spend/buy them (she has her CC and/or cash with her, at least - minus other travel documents.)

BDA's US Consulate (or, whatever their native country's embassy) is closed on weekends so they would be there this morning requesting citizen's assistance, that, frankly, isn't a bona fide emergency - and, unless they are be assured of getting their passport re-issued, it's pretty tough to book a one-way flight home (JetBlue to the "rescue") That's probably 4 nights of unscheduled visit (not exactly a vacation from Friday onward - most likely, banging heads by sunset :eek: ) with lodging, meals & making the best of it.

The last time we're at Royal Dockyard, we went shopping on Front Street in Hamilton early in the morning of sailing home, and made sure we had plenty of time to get back via the Fast Ferry, as it could be packed full & if you missed it, it's usually at least another 30 minutes for the next one. The bus ride back is about 1 hour but the taxi ride would be faster, more expensive - only if they realized the time zone difference.

Does anyone recall the appropriate time that BA sailed or left the pier, as they usually will HOLD & delayed departure by 10 or 15 minutes while PA paging overhead onboard the "unaccounted" for passengers - if only the pax took the ship and/or port agent's phone number or attempted to call & communicate that they are running late for whatever reasons, or invoke the airline "flat tire" rules to see if they can & will wait for them.